New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Casting Barbarian

Hey ya'll!
    Just wondering, is there a subclass somewhere or effective multiclassing option to help port a Pathfinder Bloodrager or Skald to 5e? In the base Barbarian class it says you can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging, is there something that allows for spells or spell-like abilities to be used during that time?
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Casting Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Nagog View Post
    Hey ya'll!
    Just wondering, is there a subclass somewhere or effective multiclassing option to help port a Pathfinder Bloodrager or Skald to 5e? In the base Barbarian class it says you can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging, is there something that allows for spells or spell-like abilities to be used during that time?
    There isn't. You'd need to make up your own subclass. I'd offer more advice, but I don't know the bloodrager very well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Well there are the various magic adjacent Barbarian subclasses like Storm Herald or the new Wild Soul.

Beyond that, you can't use any spells, but if it is not a spell you can use it. Those abilities are fair game

Thus, multiclassing with "not casters" like, ugh, 4E monk effects, horizon walker planar warrior, or any of the arcane shots of an arcane archer is allowed.

Otherwise, nothing to my understanding allows casting spells.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There are some non-concentration spells like Armor of Agathys and Death Ward that you can maintain while you rage. Death Ward takes seven levels that don’t combo well to get to but there are some Warlock/Barbarian builds that make good use of AoA.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone else read this thread title and think of some spellcaster, going "I cast 'Barbarian'!", and summoning one into the fray?
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey ya'll!
    There is no ability to cast spells while using the Rage feature of the Barbarian class in any official material. You can however make a spellcaster who is tanky and hits people and is very angry, but no levels in the Barbarian class. Or a Barbarian who has some supernatural abilities when raging.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2019-08-23 at 12:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

7. - Top - End - #7

I present to you the homebrew Path of the Shaman

It's to the Barbarian what the Eldritch Knight is to the Fighter, but swap wizard for Druid.

Also, this path doesn't get the fancy casting/melee synergy the EK has. Instead, the Shaman gets the ability to progressively:

- Keep Concentration while in Rage
    - Cast while in Rage

We already had an EK in my party when I proposed to the Barbarian (who took the Druid Magic Initiate rest at creation) to just take that Path, since it would fit his character better. Everyone accepted it without problem.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Anyone else read this thread title and think of some spellcaster, going "I cast 'Barbarian'!", and summoning one into the fray?
    That's exactly what I expected.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firelistener View Post
    That's exactly what I expected.
    Almsot reminds me of the old 4e maxim: "A Barbarian hits enemies with his axe, but a Warlord hits enemies with his Barbarian".
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

10. - Top - End - #10

EvilClericGuy

It's called Horn of Valhalla, and it's a magic item, not a spell. And it's not one barbarian (well, berserker), but a whole lot of them (up to 25).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

If I wanted to make a "caster" barbarian, I'd probably go with Artificer as the secondary class. You can rely on not-casters for magical effects, but an Artillerist can create wands for casting while you're not raging, and will let you cast above your weight class with gold and time investment, if quite a bit less conveniently. There have to be tradeoffs somewhere, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I've been half-toying with the idea of a Bard dip for a Barbarian. The spells of course would need to be mostly utility, but using Bardic Inspiration as a bonus action, Expertise for grappling and so on, and either Whispers or Swords subclass abilities for a bit of extra damage seems like there's enough potential to avoid being too sub-optimal.

The idea of a hulking Barbarian with evil vizier-like tendencies amuses me greatly.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

It can kind of work if you treat rage as a spell. A wizard with really good rolled stats could use a one level dip for unarmored defense and could rage for grappling advantage when spells are running low or ineffective

A 2 level paladin dip can let you cast 'smite' with your spell slots, but then you are a pretty crazy multiclass and probably dont have the spell slots to use it with.

You could take ritual caster for utility, casting rituals out of combat and raging in the middle of the fight.

With GM permission, magic items could solve your problem too. Take a small dip so you can attune to a magic staff (or other item that lets you cast spells through them) even a ring of spell storing could give you some interesting options.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

How about a variant Wand Sheath magic item? Something you can stick in your weapon and trigger on an attack a la Trident of Lightning? The image of a Bearbarian just detonating Fireballs around himself because takes half-to-quarter Damage is wonderful.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hey ya'll!
    Barbarian/Cleric

Cleric has Spiritual Weapon and a few other non-concentration spells. (That last longer than a round).

You cast spiritual wepaon and then rage the next round.
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2019-08-24 at 07:54 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Yup! Kinda disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Trickery Cleric can cast barbarian.

They give the barbarian advantage on stealth, the cleric cast fog cloud as the barbarian jumps into view, the barbarian smashes some heads.

All together it looks like you summoned the barbarian. Give the bar arian expertise (stealth) for more stealth on your stealth.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
    Trickery Cleric can cast barbarian.

They give the barbarian advantage on stealth, the cleric cast fog cloud as the barbarian jumps into view, the barbarian smashes some heads.

All together it looks like you summoned the barbarian. Give the bar arian expertise (stealth) for more stealth on your stealth.
    Warforged Barbarian in a Bag of Holding. 'Nuff said
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Warforged Barbarian in a Bag of Holding. 'Nuff said
    Never. Put. An. Ally. In. A. Bag. Of. Holding.

Sure fire way for the bag to be stolen, ripped, dropped in a portable hole, or accidentally sold.

Yes, the last two things happened in games I was DMing.

I let the group go shopping in a 3e game. They gave me a list of things they sold and things they bought.

Next session the warforged warblade player started laughing and rolling up a new character... As soon as I saw what he was doing I realized what happened.

The fighter sold the bag of holding that the Warforged Warblade "lived" in.
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2019-08-24 at 10:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
    Never. Put. An. Ally. In. A. Bag. Of. Holding.

Sure fire way for the bag to be stolen, ripped, dropped in a portable hole, or accidentally sold.

Yes, the last two things happened in games I was DMing.

I let the group go shopping in a 3e game. They gave me a list of things they sold and things they bought.

Next session the warforged warblade player started laughing and rolling up a new character... As soon as I saw what he was doing I realized what happened.

The fighter sold the bag of holding that the Warforged Warblade "lived" in.
    Oooooof... But in my campaign, I want to make it my cozy home!!
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

21. - Top - End - #21

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Oooooof... But in my campaign, I want to make it my cozy home!!
    Bag of Holding has 64 ft3, that's 4' cube, with 2' wide opening. Hope you don't have a desire to stretch.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Bag of Holding has 64 ft3, that's 4' cube, with 2' wide opening. Hope you don't have a desire to stretch.
    I said it was cozy :P And realistically, all he needs to be happy is a source of light (Magical Tinkering gives that) and various schema to look over or write.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...