The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Creative Ideas for saving a Hostage

Ok so I've got game night tonight and most likely we'll be continuing playing D&D 5e with our campaign.

Right now, my group was created with absolutely no prior consultation except for 2 players that wanted to be half-orc brothers. The group composition looks like this

All level 5
    Human fighter with Eldritch knight archetype - me.
    Half orc Barbarian
    Half orc battlemaster fighter
    Gnome Cleric
    Half Elf Druid
    Human Monk

The situation is as follows:
    We are attempting to save a military officer that has been kidnapped by an unknown rogue/terrorist faction. We chased after them night and day and we ended our last session knowing the following information.

There are 7 enemy combatants that we know of.
    2 are torturing the military officer in a barn on a farm we found them at
    The farmer is tied up and unable to move

My fighting style is kind of a Nordic Style with a bit of magic. I use two handaxes for ranged attacks and use weapon bond to call them back to me. I have the shield master feat with a longsword.

My spell list consists of the following

light
    minor illusion

Shield
    Alarm
    Magic Missile

Given this, what are some creative ways to save the hostages? I should add also, that my group is not the most intelligent. We are basically average intellect trying desperately not to muck things up
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-08-23 at 12:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Creative Ideas for saving a Hostage

Nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Hah, unfortunately none of my group could ever do something like that. Though Call lightning might be something our druid could do in this situation. Try to fry some of the enemies into a fine crisp

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What level is everyone in your party?
    "Spend enough time on the internet, and it's clear that a lot of people (especially people who have been around a while) want to treat D&D as a more concrete (war)game to be "won." And, frankly, with a million posts dedicated to arguing rules or min/max builds or discussing ways to optimally kill your players without feeling guilty, more about player/DM collaboration are appreciated."-Beeporama
    My Homebrews:
    Paladin Oath of the Sand

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

We'd need a map to really help you with this:

Where are the enemy combatants? You said 2 are in the barn torturing the hostage, where are the other 5?

Where is the tied up farmer?

So here's some ideas based on the limited information:

Use your Alarm and minor illusion to try and draw as many of them away from the barn as possible. You are on a farm, have the two half orcs crawl into two nearby haystacks and lure as many of them in that direction as possible to give them an ambush opportunity. If possible, do this by freeing the farmer and getting them to chase the farmer into the ambush without knowing you are there at all.

If not, then send someone relatively "weak" looking, like the gnome in to free the farmer and let him be seen. Then have him run away, pursued by as many of the bad guys as possible into your ambush by the haystacks.

They outnumber you, so anything you can do to limit the engagement to favor you is good. You need to concentrate your attacks on as small a group of them as possible at a time. Ideally you should get them into a situation where all three fighters and the monk can all attack the same guy, drop him with overwhelming numbers, then move to the next guy.

Have the Druid sneak near the barn. Once you lure as many away as possible, have the druid use Animal Handling skills or any available spells to encourage any horses, cattle or other animals in the barn to attack the ones left behind or at least create havok. Then go in and free the Military Guy in the chaos. You can use alarm to create loud noises to spook the animals if the Druid has no skills/powers to do so.

How far away are neighboring farms. Can you recruit the farmers neighbors who would probably object to the enemy's actions against the farmer?
    "The monk hits you a shattering blow in the kidneys, luckily this fixes a long standing alignment issue with your spine, gain +10 Move"

"The evil wizard fireballs you, since the weather has been nasty you are now pleasantly warm, gain immunity from fear effects and cold and necrotic damage "

"The drow cleric smashes you in the skull with an adamantine mace, this jogs your memory, regain all your used spell slots for the day"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Druids should get a cantrip that allows them to tunnel to the barn.

If your priority is to prevent the information being spilled, attack and kill the officer. Then resurrect him.

Set fire to the farm and use that as a distraction.

Just some rough ideas.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I feel like the druid using conjure animals to have 8 farm animals running around might help.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadfire182 View Post
    What level is everyone in your party?
    Level 5, currently. I'll edit my original post to include that

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    We'd need a map to really help you with this:

Where are the enemy combatants? You said 2 are in the barn torturing the hostage, where are the other 5?

Where is the tied up farmer?

So here's some ideas based on the limited information:

Use your Alarm and minor illusion to try and draw as many of them away from the barn as possible. You are on a farm, have the two half orcs crawl into two nearby haystacks and lure as many of them in that direction as possible to give them an ambush opportunity. If possible, do this by freeing the farmer and getting them to chase the farmer into the ambush without knowing you are there at all.

If not, then send someone relatively "weak" looking, like the gnome in to free the farmer and let him be seen. Then have him run away, pursued by as many of the bad guys as possible into your ambush by the haystacks.

They outnumber you, so anything you can do to limit the engagement to favor you is good. You need to concentrate your attacks on as small a group of them as possible at a time. Ideally you should get them into a situation where all three fighters and the monk can all attack the same guy, drop him with overwhelming numbers, then move to the next guy.

Have the Druid sneak near the barn. Once you lure as many away as possible, have the druid use Animal Handling skills or any available spells to encourage any horses, cattle or other animals in the barn to attack the ones left behind or at least create havok. Then go in and free the Military Guy in the chaos. You can use alarm to create loud noises to spook the animals if the Druid has no skills/powers to do so.

How far away are neighboring farms. Can you recruit the farmers neighbors who would probably object to the enemy's actions against the farmer?
    This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I like your ideas and I'll see if we can't use some of it. I was thinking of using minor illusion to create a distraction to draw them away from the officer and hopefully find out where the other 5 is. Unfortunately, we are working on very limited information we got from the trees in the area at the moment.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Angelmaker View Post
    Druids should get a cantrip that allows them to tunnel to the barn.

If your priority is to prevent the information being spilled, attack and kill the officer. Then resurrect him.

Set fire to the farm and use that as a distraction.

Just some rough ideas.
    I like the tunneling idea, but I'm not sure if our druid has that.

The priority is just to get the officer out alive. None of us are strong enough to resurrect him and we are generally good so we would be avoiding any tactics that would be harmful to innocent bystanders.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    I feel like the druid using conjure animals to have 8 farm animals running around might help.
    That would be a most excellent distraction Bob the Wizard!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

You could always ask why they're torturing him and what their demands, if any, are, given that they are a terrorist faction.

I mean who knows, maybe they have a legitimate grievance, and things could be settled diplomatically. Or it'll be bad enough that you'll join the rogue faction and start beating on that officer yourselves!

For a more traditional DnD based solution, I would recommend using a combination of enchantment magic, stealth and good ol' fashioned grappling to ensure the hostage is able to get to safety before the fight begins in earnest. If you can get into the barn without alerting the guards outside, you're in a much more defensible position and could potentially deal with the two inside without even having to resort to violence. The druid could definitely sneak in disguised as a farm animal, at least, and be ready with hold person, entangle, or etc.

Of course, if you're more of a blood and thunder group, just pick up 300g for the Cleric to use Revivify. Breach and clear, officer gets picked up just a little worse for wear. I'm sure he won't mind reimbursing you for the diamonds, an officers paycheck ain't too skimpy.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacsAlterEgo View Post
    You could always ask why they're torturing him and what their demands, if any, are, given that they are a terrorist faction.

I mean who knows, maybe they have a legitimate grievance, and things could be settled diplomatically. Or it'll be bad enough that you'll join the rogue faction and start beating on that officer yourselves!

For a more traditional DnD based solution, I would recommend using a combination of enchantment magic, stealth and good ol' fashioned grappling to ensure the hostage is able to get to safety before the fight begins in earnest. If you can get into the barn without alerting the guards outside, you're in a much more defensible position and could potentially deal with the two inside without even having to resort to violence. The druid could definitely sneak in disguised as a farm animal, at least, and be ready with hold person, entangle, or etc.

Of course, if you're more of a blood and thunder group, just pick up 300g for the Cleric to use Revivify. Breach and clear, officer gets picked up just a little worse for wear. I'm sure he won't mind reimbursing you for the diamonds, an officers paycheck ain't too skimpy.
    Non-violent solutions are pretty fun. Though we are definitely more of a blood and thunder group. The half orc fighter has already mentioned his desire to get his greatsword wet with blood again. He's just itching for a fight and so is his brother the half orc barbarian.

I'm kind of tempted to just have these 2 go charging in and draw in all the fighters they can while the monk and druid sees about doing a sneaky and get the officer out. The gnome and I can assist how we see fit

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

The moment you draw attention as in being reckonned as an enemy force, they know youre there for the officer. They will hold a dagger to his throat and demand your surrender. So your distraction shouldn't be your barbarian friends.

If your druid has pass without trace that should allow your entire group to get very close. From there on your barbarians should be able to charge/break through the farmbarn wall and you can make a suprise attack on the officer's torturers. This should be your first priority, so they cannot hold him against you.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Angelmaker View Post
    The moment you draw attention as in being reckonned as an enemy force, they know youre there for the officer. They will hold a dagger to his throat and demand your surrender. So your distraction shouldn't be your barbarian friends.

If your druid has pass without trace that should allow your entire group to get very close. From there on your barbarians should be able to charge/break through the farmbarn wall and you can make a suprise attack on the officer's torturers. This should be your first priority, so they cannot hold him against you.
    You raise a good point, the last thing we want to do is lose the officer as he is our charge and our client wants him back alive. I think our druid actually does have pass without trace. So we might have her cast that so that we can get a bunch of clankety clankers close enough not to put the officer in danger.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacsAlterEgo View Post

*eldritch knight appears from out of the shadows between two haystacks, arms up, handaxe in each hand. slowly approaches the barn*

*the five hidden, unseen enemy reveal themselves*

EK: "Hello to the Barn! I am not here to fight. I am here to negotiate." *slowly approaches. When he has their attention, he slowly lowers to one knee and places the hand axes on the ground. Then stands and continues to approach*

EK: "You have the man we've come for. We have you surrounded. There is no escape. But if you give him up willingly, we can negotiate an amicable solution"

*unfased, they descend on the EK and pat him down, make sure he doesn't ahve other weapons. Maybe they pick up his handaxes, maybe not. They take him into the barn*

*once inside the EK determines where the hostage is. As they begin asking him who he is. suddenly his handaxes appear back in his hands. He crosses toward the hostage as the others emerge and begin attacking the barn*

There- you got someone inside to try and keep the hostage alive during the assault.
    "The monk hits you a shattering blow in the kidneys, luckily this fixes a long standing alignment issue with your spine, gain +10 Move"

"The evil wizard fireballs you, since the weather has been nasty you are now pleasantly warm, gain immunity from fear effects and cold and necrotic damage "

"The drow cleric smashes you in the skull with an adamantine mace, this jogs your memory, regain all your used spell slots for the day"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

OK. Forget my farm animals gone wild recommendation. Have the druid cast pass without trace to get everyone close to the barn, wild shape into something nondescript, and get close to the prisoner, preferably behind the guard. Then your party charges in. The druid takes out the guard and protects the prisoner. Maybe summon some fighting farm animals then to help with protection.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    *eldritch knight appears from out of the shadows between two haystacks, arms up, handaxe in each hand. slowly approaches the barn*

*the five hidden, unseen enemy reveal themselves*

EK: "Hello to the Barn! I am not here to fight. I am here to negotiate." *slowly approaches. When he has their attention, he slowly lowers to one knee and places the hand axes on the ground. Then stands and continues to approach*

EK: "You have the man we've come for. We have you surrounded. There is no escape. But if you give him up willingly, we can negotiate an amicable solution"

*unfased, they descend on the EK and pat him down, make sure he doesn't ahve other weapons. Maybe they pick up his handaxes, maybe not. They take him into the barn*

*once inside the EK determines where the hostage is. As they begin asking him who he is. suddenly his handaxes appear back in his hands. He crosses toward the hostage as the others emerge and begin attacking the barn*

There- you got someone inside to try and keep the hostage alive during the assault.
    Dude this is definitely something I would want to try at some point. I like this idea alot

19. - Top - End - #19

Lizardfolk

Does your Cleric know a revival spell? Because if the DM treats the officer as a player (with death saves), Spare the Dying can really come in handy if things don't go well. If that fails, the Monk or the Barbarian should be able to grapple one of the 2 bandits torturing the officer and the rest of the party can mosh pit the remaining one to death, then move to the second one. This is all implying that you can make it into the barn stealthily, which as has been noted, the Druid may be able to tunnel in. As a note, Druids can prepare any spell on their list at any point, although I'm unsure if that applies to cantrips. If not, perhaps Wild Shaping into an animal that can tunnel? Perhaps a Giant Badger, CR 1/4? It's burrow speed is only 10 feet, but if you're deep enough, the slow speed shouldn't be a problem.
    "There are truly only 2 sources of conflict: Miscommunication, and Intolerance. Of the two, only one is acceptable."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Kill the prisoner first so their is no reason for the rest of the opponents to stick around and fight obviously excessively crazy and violent people. Use revivify to bring the prisoner back after they retreat.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!