The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Balancing adventuring day advice

Need help fleshing out a battle my PC will be having in their town.

Setup: the PC's army will be engaging the enemies army (stronghold and followers rules). Meanwhile, they'll hear that the commander has sent 1 Earth elemental with 2 Xorn towards the town with the intent of killing civilians.

Encounter 1: 1 Earth elemental + 2 Xorn
    Encounter 2: clockwork dragon surprise attacks from the clouds above. As a bonus action on its turn it has an ability to apply a arcane Mark to a building ( this will be important later)
    Encounter 3: guards and archers will teleport through these markswhen the dragon dies. They wi have the orders to enter buildings and kill civilians.
    Encounter 4: final boss will appear in a giant airship above. PC can enter through flight or using the arcane marks.

My question is what are some small encounters to add too this to have a full adventuring day? (So far there's 2 deadly encounters, 1 hard, 1 medium).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Balancing adventuring day advice

Quote Originally Posted by MadBear View Post
    Need help fleshing out a battle my PC will be having in their town.

Setup: the PC's army will be engaging the enemies army (stronghold and followers rules). Meanwhile, they'll hear that the commander has sent 1 Earth elemental with 2 Xorn towards the town with the intent of killing civilians.

Encounter 1: 1 Earth elemental + 2 Xorn
    Encounter 2: clockwork dragon surprise attacks from the clouds above. As a bonus action on its turn it has an ability to apply a arcane Mark to a building ( this will be important later)
    Encounter 3: guards and archers will teleport through these markswhen the dragon dies. They wi have the orders to enter buildings and kill civilians.
    Encounter 4: final boss will appear in a giant airship above. PC can enter through flight or using the arcane marks.

My question is what are some small encounters to add too this to have a full adventuring day? (So far there's 2 deadly encounters, 1 hard, 1 medium).
    Honestly, as long as they have chances to short rest, you may not need much more. But you could add some non combat things like rescuing civilians from collapsing buildings and the like.
    Dream of Hope: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Balancing adventuring day advice

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Honestly, as long as they have chances to short rest, you may not need much more. But you could add some non combat things like rescuing civilians from collapsing buildings and the like.
    Love that idea. Basically, I just wanted some easy and interesting challenges to make the narrative interesting, and to go through a bit more of their resources before fighting the "boss".