New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The word "Foo"

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The word "Foo"

Let's discus it.

I have a question to start us off: what part-of-speech is it? I thought it was a pronoun, because it can replace a noun, but apparently I was wrong because someone thought I was discussing two separate "contexts" when I mentioned that it was a pronoun and a coding foo. (I just used the subject of this discussion within said discussion! Neat!)

What would it be called? Maybe "provariable" or "prostring" but those both sound kind of silly... which I suppose they should, since comparing naturalistic languages and programming ones is an admittedly-silly thing to do in the first place!

On a related note, why does "proverb" mean "traditional metaphorical story" rather than "word that replaces a verb" anyway? That's confusing.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The word "Foo"

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    On a related note, why does "proverb" mean "traditional metaphorical story" rather than "word that replaces a verb" anyway? That's confusing.
    Because only one of those is an actual thing in English?

(Also, in the contexts I'm familiar with the term "foo" being used in, it's more of a vague noun a la "stuff" than a pronoun per se.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I thought it was a pronoun, because it can replace a noun, but apparently I was wrong because someone thought I was discussing two separate "contexts" when I mentioned that it was a pronoun and a coding foo.
    To clarify: The confusion came about when you were discussing the word as a pronoun and postulating using the LGBTAI+ tag. Which carries a much different connotation of discussion than a linguistic definition of a 'pronoun'.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    To clarify: The confusion came about when you were discussing the word as a pronoun and postulating using the LGBTAI+ tag. Which carries a much different connotation of discussion than a linguistic definition of a 'pronoun'.
    It does? Yeah, I guess it does. Sorry about that.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Foo, like the rest of the larger family of placeholder names, does have commonality with pronouns, in that it stands in for a noun (and are used grammatically as nouns). The key difference is that pronouns are intended for referring to a noun specified elsewhere in the context, whereas with a placeholder name the context itself is what's important. Like, with code examples using foo, it doesn't really matter that a variable is named "foo" as opposed to some other name; what's important is that there's a variable.

Unless you're talking about how Mr. T will "pity the foo", in which case I assure you "foo" is actually just how "fool" sounds when he says it.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

For what it may be worth, the Jargon File as maintained by Eric S. Raymond describes foo as the canonical example of a metasyntactic variable.
    Quote Originally Posted by godsflunky View Post
    It'll be a wild ride, and I can't wait to see all the twists and turns, but we'll be fine.

This is gonna be great.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

"foo" and the related "bar" actually have nothing to do with programming but are now used as placeholder or temporary names in contexts such as programming. They are derived from an older military acronym, FUBAR. What FUBAR stands for is not forum appropriate.

A pronoun can replace a noun to refer to something it replaces. A placeholder is used when there is nothing to replace.

I have never heard foo used in a LGBTAI context.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Pro" = instead of, "verb" = speech. It is something you say instead of saying something else because it is applicable to the situation at hand and shorter than describing it in detail.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-25 at 06:57 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

You can't just drop "Foo" in as a name and have it make sense.

"Bob walked in, he then walked out."
    cannot become
    "Bob walked in, Foo then walked out."
    and mean the same thing.

"Sarah had dinner, she then tidied up the house."
    cannot become
    "Sarah had dinner, Foo then tidied up the house."
    and mean the same thing.

In both cases you've added a second person.

Compare this conversation:
    "What is the name of the first man who walked in here?"
    "I don't know, let's call him Foo."
    "Well, Foo just dropped his book."
    "I'll go pick it up for him."
    "The second man needs help too, I'll go assist him."

In the absence of knowing the person's name, they have given him a name. That temporary name now refers only to him, while "him" can still apply to anyone.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    "foo" and the related "bar" actually have nothing to do with programming but are now used as placeholder or temporary names in contexts such as programming. They are derived from an older military acronym, FUBAR. What FUBAR stands for is not forum appropriate.
    I think I remember being told a long time ago, that foo and bar were the names of a pair of registers in some mainframe or earlier processor.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-08-25 at 11:00 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Proverb" comes from the Latin " pro" meaning "to put forward" and "verbe" meaning "word/speech/story". Literally all it means is a story that's been put forward as an example.

Meanwhile "pronoun" is from "pro" and "nomen" meaning "name". Literally it means something you put forward in place of a name.

They're etymological cousins. One does not have prescedence over the other.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

"Foo" isn't the only F-word that can act as multiple parts of speech.

… I am speaking, of course, of "fight." You have "to fight," the verb, that can be modified to become a participle, a gerund, etc. like most verbs. You also have "fight", a noun with a related--but distinct--definition that can do its own. I have no clue why our word for "that thing where people are fighting" ended up the same as the verb, as opposed to a similar word (i.e., "fly" and "flight"), or a distinct word altogether.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Let's discus it.

I have a question to start us off: what part-of-speech is it? I thought it was a pronoun, because it can replace a noun, but apparently I was wrong because someone thought I was discussing two separate "contexts" when I mentioned that it was a pronoun and a coding foo. (I just used the subject of this discussion within said discussion! Neat!)

What would it be called? Maybe "provariable" or "prostring" but those both sound kind of silly... which I suppose they should, since comparing naturalistic languages and programming ones is an admittedly-silly thing to do in the first place!

I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever seen Foo used. The dictionary online gave me two origins; FUBAR getting used in coding to mean a bar of code, and an old Scottish word for love.

Also the phrase "oh foo" as an expression of mild and old timey disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

History and etymology is fairly well discussed on wikipedia; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar

I was wondering what it's relationship to 'foo fighter' might be, and that too is clarified on wikipedia; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_fighter

As for trying to determine the part of speech the word is, it really is just slang, and used however a group of folks start using it as. And it seems more times than not they are not using it with any concern for parts of speech or grammar :)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I believe that "foo" can generally be translated as "something". Its value is that it makes it easier to differentiate between two "somethings", by calling them "foo" and "bar".

In coding, we generally don't care exactly what "foo" is. It just means "something is here, what it is is beyond the scope of our present discussion but we need to allow for it."

It's often used hypothetically, as in "Suppose (foo) happens, and this variable gets set to (bar)?" In this case the speaker is talking about something unforeseeable, and implying that we may need more exception handling to keep the code running smoothly in the event of the unexpected.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

16. - Top - End - #16

This is just crazy talk, u

;)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    This is just crazy talk, u

;)
    No no, that's 'Fou.'

But as for what part of speech it is, whatever it is, it's clearly a noun.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    No no, that's 'Fou.'

It's not a dangling participle?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    No no, that's 'Fou.'

that's why I included the ", u" ;)