The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Against the Iron Throne: Starfinder re-recruitment

Good morning folks!

My table top crew, whom I haven't played with for a few years due to the time constraints of real life, adulting, and moving three hours north of them, had an opportunity to come and visit. So in preparation for that, I wanted to try a new system that seemed appealing to all of us, and we picked up Starfinder, and I got a couple of the AP's, Dead Suns & Against the Iron Throne. I had the opportunity to guide them through Char Gen, and we played a portion of the first Scenario from Dead Suns. I've been reading the rules, the AP, fleshing it out for my players, and listening to a Podcast where they play through it for months now!

Of course, I was GM'ing them, and they really enjoyed it. However, not having had the opportunity to play, I am really excited to try to *play* Starfinder, specifically a Soldier, because the parallels that can be drawn between them and 40K Space Marines is pronking awesome!

As such, I am posting this call, sending it out into the Drift, hoping some GM will hear it and respond to this distress call! I'd love to play a basic Starfinder game, starting at 1st level and working from there. A small-ish crew, maybe 4 to 5 players, defined roles with not a ton of overlap allowing each player to shine in their chosen field, and run through an Adenture Path, now I've read Dead Suns thoroughly, but as an adult, I am capable of not meta-gaming that knowledge, and have a slight preference for Dead Suns over Iron Throne, if only for it's greater length, as it ends at approximately level 12.

I am perfectly willing to assist the GM, or other Players in learning the rule set, but most people familiar with 3.5 & Pathfinder, will find it extremely familiar. Anyone interested in joining the crew itself, or stepping up and being our guide on a wonderful space faring adventure?
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-09-15 at 06:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Starfinder Adventure Path: Interest Check

I'd like to be a player, if a dm can be found.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

3. - Top - End - #3

Cool! Let's hope we can entice one then. Now, I wouldn't be opposed to rotating GM's as we work through an AP or something like that, but I'd prefer to play rather than run.

Now, Redfeline, I'm curious, what kind of character or role is appealing to you?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Love to be a player, not gm

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

If this gets off the ground, I would definitely be interested as a player.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I stand by a space ship fool of soldiers.

Or I could do an operative.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

I personally want to play a mechanic

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfFighterGuy

If this gets off the ground, I think I'm going to lean towards an Envoy, since I've never made one before. I would love to be a part of the Free Captains, having recently read about them. Maybe with the GM's permission if we need a ship I can bring that to the table? I think I'll probably make either a Lashunta or a Human but really not sure about the race right now.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'd be looking towards playing a Human soldier, probably Bounty Hunter. Probably a rough and tumble ex-gang member type, spent some time in the Pact Alliance Military ... something like that anyways.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

An android mechanic with an exocortex use to by a slave to a human Corp managed to be free now runs around helping those in need
    Last edited by Chronomancer79; 2019-08-27 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Updating

11. - Top - End - #11

I'm tempted.

There's a lot of things I love in Starfinder, and I should have time enough to GM now that I've graduated. However, I should note that I have previously tried running Dead Suns, and ended up going inactive on the forums for over a year after I was unable to keep up with the game beyond the first encounter.

So, I'd be willing to give GMing a go, but caveat emptor. It'd probably be wise for me to try maintaining a regular posting schedule as a player first.

12. - Top - End - #12

Cyclopean, how open would you be to rotating GM's? And or GMPC's? In that as we switch off duties, our PC's stay active with the group, earning XP at the same rate as everone else? Just curious, as it is an option to keep either one of us from getting too overwhelmed.

13. - Top - End - #13

I'd be happy to co-GM or rotate GMing. I don't think I'd want a GMPC of my own unless there's a dearth of applicants, and I don't expect that to happen. There are a few NPCs I wouldn't mind joining the party down the line, though.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

So should we start making characters

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronomancer79 View Post
    So should we start making characters
    I think that sounds like an excellent thought. Maybe some continued discussion? As far as character concepts, I am still inclined towards making an envoy, though race is yet to be determined. Still leaning towards a "space pirate" of some ilk, straight out of the Diaspora. Since I know something of the Dead Suns path, I won't push the GM-Consortium to allow me to have a ship for the party. Since we are trying to make sure there are non-redundant roles, I suppose an Envoy makes a natural party "face"?

16. - Top - End - #16

Before we begin making characters is like to sort out a rotation with Cyclopean. I'd rather know the series, and themes were playing with before we begin looking at submissions.

Are there any preferences Cyclopean? Did you want to do Dead Sun, for the Drift, horror aspect, or the Aeon Throne, for the military aspect? I have both series, the 1st goes lvl 1 thru 12, the 2nd goes 1st thru 6th.

Did you, or our players have a preference?
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-08-27 at 09:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I am cool with what ever.

As far as role selection, shouldn't roles be places on the ship like pilot, gunner, science officer, etc. I haven't had the joy of ship to ship combat yet in starfinder.

18. - Top - End - #18

If we do Dead Suns, the group won't be starting off with a ship, though will earn one by the end of the 1st scenario. I believe the same is true of the Aeon Throne. I feel doing an actual published AP, may be more easier to pull off with rotating GM's, otherwise we'd both need to co-ordinate on home brew setting stuff. Though I could likely get a series of the SFS Adventure runs, and we could play through those on a case by case basis.

However, I would like to discuss how GM Rotation would work, as I would want to run a PC while not GM'ing, how would we handle that character being unavailable during play when I am running, swapping in Cyclopean's PC?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Engineer / mechanic here

20. - Top - End - #20

Alright, all four of you are in. I've decided I will run Against the Iron Throne, and I will solo GM it, providing you four a chance to be the crew of your own ship!

The OOC thread is located here!

However, character discussion and what not will happen here, the first four posts after the introductory post will be each of you individually posting your completed sheets, preferably on Mythweavers, so I can readily access them. Please don't post questions or what have you in the OOC thread, just reserve your 1st post for your character. After all four of you have posted, I will make a post where we will, eventually, post your ship.

I want to avoid duplicate classes if at all possible, and ship roles are open for discussion, while there will be a Captain role (after all someone needs to have eventual say over the ship), the ship itself is a group resource, and in-game is only available to you because all players are equal owners, so please remember that when thinking of how you will captain the ship.

Any questions, ask them here, one thing, is I ask you to be open in your background, you are 1st level, keep it to a couple paragraphs. Work in the other players as connections to your past, and I will be making one or two connections to the plot that I will be asking you to work into that background.

Thanks! I am looking forward to this!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

So everyone cool with my Android mechanic

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

How are we doing stats

23. - Top - End - #23

Standard Core rules: 10 in every stat, apply your Racial, Apply your theme, then distribute 10 points on a 1:1 basis. Equipment will be 1000 credits; with an Item level limit of Level+1. Since you are starting off at 1st level, you have a maximum of Item lvl 2 available to you at Char Gen.

And yes, an Android Mechanic works fine for me. Love the Exobrain!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-08-28 at 01:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Nice Dragon Host! What role do you see Vault filling on the ship? Also, as an Outlaw, what sort of trouble did you get up to? What was your life like then, and what changed that let you get out if the Diaspora?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey dragon host we should talk I was thinking of going outlaw as well. Maybe we did jobs together although I mostly did jobs against large corps to help free people.

26. - Top - End - #26

Maybe he was your inside man, and you piloted the shuttle letting you get some high priority targets out of a corporation?

I only say this, because I highly advise everyone taking a unique theme, if only for spreading around those knowledge checks, that can be really useful in any investigation.

Just me chiming in with my opinion, feel free to disregard.

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfFighterGuy

These are all good thoughts!

As far as Vault, I was thinking he was born into a space pirate crew, and hence the reputation for being an outlaw. He was the "swaggery" type of pirate, talking his way into places and out of trouble. He would go in wholeheartedly for ripping off corporations, especially if he thought it would help the "little guy." Though he's no longer in the Diaspora, he has never really left the Diaspora at heart. He longs to return and take the oath as one of the Free Captains.

How do those pieces sound?

Edit: Oh, and as far as a role...well, he does fit with a Captain of the ship
    Last edited by Dragon Host; 2019-08-28 at 03:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

I could take a different theme if we should take different ones. I could do Icon as a celebrity who frees slaves

29. - Top - End - #29

Icon doesn't need to be a celebrity, it just means you are famous. If you saved a bunch if diaspora miners from their corporate overlords you could have their support and be recognized for that act.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yeah I can do that sounds good