New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Tearing of the Weave (IC) Pt 2

DELVE INTO DARKNESS,
    BRING THE TRUTH TO LIGHT

In Wheloon, a city known for its vibrant green slate roofs, a new temple to Mystra is in the final stages of construction. But something rings false among the heavenly spheres -- or at least among those who mouth the pieties of Mystra while plotting magical mayhem behind closed temple doors.

And that's just the beginning. . . .

Our heroes have uncovered the mystery of the fake temple and tracked the Sharrans to their hideout in the Vast Swamp. Having defeated the undead half-dragon Ketsarra Shadowscale and the shadar-kai Kithlord Thieraven the party now ponders the large shadowy orb that exists in the hall of the Lost Refuge.

The first IC thread is here.

Anthony gathers together some of his utilitarian equipment as the Purple Dragons take up sentry positions while your guide Morn and the rescued spellcasters wait nervously. The knight of Mystra ties the waterskin to the rope and swirls it about, casting it towards the shadow sphere. It bounces off, repelled by some force or barrier that the central sphere possesses.

As the healers among you tend the myriad wounds sustained, Temiryl checks over the bodies of the many fallen foes with assistance from Anthony.

Spoiler: loot
    Show
    Items prefixed with an (*) are magical.

Ketsarra Dragonscale
    • *MW heavy wooden shield
    • *MW spear
    • javelin x6
    • *javelin
    • vial of unholy water x4
    • *a featureless silver disc hanging from a silver chain
    • *potion

Starweaver Bestra Mornscroll
    • *wand
    • *scroll
    • MW full plate
    • MW light steel shield
    • MW heavy mace
    • *blue cloak
    • pouch of 18gp

Starweaver Deinyn Fembrys
    • *scroll
    • heavy mace
    • chakram x10
    • *blue cloak
    • full plate armour
    • *a crystal sphere with a dark inner heart and twinkling lights within

Father Shan Thar
    • *wand
    • *potion x2
    • *potion x1
    • full plate armour
    • heavy steel shield

Kithlord Thieraven
    • *scroll
    • *vial of oil
    • *MW spiked chain
    • *elaborately decorated cold iron armband with 6 inch internal spikes (a gal-ralan)
    • pouch of 10gp
    • an interesting note (see below)
    • *wand
    • *hooded black iron lantern with mithral filagree & crystalline panels tinted bright gold
    • *black silk gloves
    • *black silk tunic stitched with runes of gold thread
    • *embroidered black silk armband

Shadar-Kai warriors
    • *gal-ralan x6
    • *MW studded leather x5
    • MW studded leather
    • MW spiked chain x5
    • spiked chain
    • MW comp shortbow (+2 str) x5
    • shortbow
    • arrows

Spoiler: Letter found on Kithlord Thieraven
    Show

Kithlord Thieraven

My Mistress cannot break the bargain that tied your people's souls to Her holy realm, but I guarantee that if Her plans are successful, you will have a home on Faerun where your kind will not feel the curse's effects. The Vast Swamp should make a perfect base for your people to gather and establish a true presence in the world. None will suspect it, and no prying eyes will detect it save a few crude tribes that you may slaughter or subjugate as you see fit. Success in this endeavor will in turn lead to other successes, and in due time your kind will have many places you can live without fear of losing your souls.

As always, She grants you access to the Shadow Weave, and I offer more training in its use. We urge you to convince more of your kind to affect this gift. You have already seen its benefit and in the coming months and in the years afterward, your people will come to know its power.

- Esvele Graycastle

The secret door that the Kithlord attempted to escape through becomes apparent on detailed inspection. A hidden catch causes the statue to rotate, delivering one individual at a time into whatever chamber lies beyond, before reverting.

Separately, the normal iron door to the north is locked.

Casting her detect magic focus onto the shadowy orb dominating the room Temiryl observes a strong aura of conjuration radiating from the sphere.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2019-08-31 at 05:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Tearing of the Weave (IC) Pt 2

Kilus

After healing anyone who needs it, Kilus examines the items retrieved. "These Sharrans are richly equipped. What we have done today is likely not the end of this hunt. I can feel it."

Spoiler
    Show

The letter's not loading for me. Anyone else?
    Using Detect Magic.

Here's a pile of checks for the items, in order!

Spellcraft checks:
    (1d20+4)[14]
    (1d20+4)[15]
    (1d20+4)[21]
    (1d20+4)[23]
    (1d20+4)[20]
    (1d20+4)[16]
    (1d20+4)[20]
    (1d20+4)[12]
    (1d20+4)[15]
    (1d20+4)[8]
    (1d20+4)[20]
    (1d20+4)[14]
    (1d20+4)[5]
    (1d20+4)[16]
    (1d20+4)[15]

UMD checks:
    (1d20+12)[18]
    (1d20+12)[20]
    (1d20+12)[16]
    (1d20+12)[15]
    (1d20+12)[21]
    (1d20+12)[21]
    (1d20+12)[30]
    (1d20+12)[17]
    (1d20+12)[14]
    (1d20+12)[21]
    (1d20+12)[27]
    (1d20+12)[25]
    (1d20+12)[25]
    (1d20+12)[26]
    (1d20+12)[17]
    (1d20+12)[32]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, mostly healed, begins looking about, checking to make sure those fallen are dead before looking around at the various doors and windows that no one snuck off or that no one was sneaking up on them, though he is stymied by the iron door. "Pick the lock or smash it down?" he asks the group.
    As the note is found and read, he comments "So, these rats have sold off their souls for a bit of land and power. Haha! The butcher always gets his price for the pound of flesh, as these fools should have known. Though, it doesn't sound good for these swamp rats. Have any of you heard of this Greycastle?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl looks and feels significantly better, now that she's fully healed.

"I suspect the shadow region to be some kind of summoning effect, or perhaps a portal of some kind to another place or realm." Watching the waterskin bounce off, she suggests "If it is a portal, it may only allow living things to pass? Or it may be keyed to something specific - perhaps the amulets, or these things." She holds up a gal-ralan distastefully between two fingers and shudders.

"I have a device that will allow me to determine the enchantments on some of these items - I can examine only a few items right now, the others will need to wait until I have regained my magic - which ones shall it be?"

"Let me try opening the lock first; if it proves too challenging for me, then we can try brute force or magic."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The device is an Artificer's Monocle - it let's someone with 5 ranks in Arcana who casts Detect Magic study an item for 1 minute and get the same benefits as Identify. Given that Temiryl has been studying the shadow blot and looking over the loot, I'd say she can identify maybe 4 or 5 items.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"I haven't heard a thing about this particular Greycastle. Funny thing none of them seems to have a key to this door. I'd say, yes, we open it, but only after we have checked the doors more easily accessed."

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume Ray of Enfeeblement should have ended by now. If not, waiting until it does. Voting to check the doors at AH15, AK11, AK35 as per this map, but can live with X22 being opened right now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    "I have a device that will allow me to determine the enchantments on some of these items - I can examine only a few items right now, the others will need to wait until I have regained my magic - which ones shall it be?"

Show
    The device is an Artificer's Monocle - it let's someone with 5 ranks in Arcana who casts Detect Magic study an item for 1 minute and get the same benefits as Identify. Given that Temiryl has been studying the shadow blot and looking over the loot, I'd say she can identify maybe 4 or 5 items.
    "Hm. Well, identifying one of those spiked bands would let us assume about the whole lot. What else is most likely to be unusual ..." The priest quietly suggests a few pieces.

Spoiler: I'd say ...
    Show
    Gal-ralan first, then the lantern and crystal sphere, then maybe the silk gloves and/or tunic. Scrolls, wands and armaments are less likely to have plot-related enchantments.

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    "I'd say, yes, we open it, but only after we have checked the doors more easily accessed."
    William concurs. "And I think we should stay quite wary despite the appearance that all their forces were concentrated here. Frankly, I've been anticipating more traps, though the ambushes have been villainous enough."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl pulls out a single glass lens encased in a brass ring that's enscribed with tiny eldritch runes. Fixing it over one eye, she spends several minutes examining some of the more interesting enchanted items.

Show
    Assuming that I spend a first level spell slot to cast Detect Magic again, we'll ID the following 11 items with the Monocle:

A gal-ralan
    A silver disc
    A blue cloak
    Crystal sphere
    Iron lantern
    The 3 black silk items
    The spiked chain
    2 wands

Last edited by Dexam; 2019-09-13 at 10:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

As the rest of you discuss the next course of action, Temiryl spends some minutes poring over the various items mindful of the risk of dark magics & deceitful Sharrans.

Spoiler: revealings
    Show
    • +2 Gal-ralan: This device provides a +2 resistance bonus to saving throws (+4 vs death effects, energy drain and effects that affect the wearers soul. For the duration that it is worn the wearer suffers a -1 penalty to Constitution. Shadar-kai wear these to affix their souls to their bodies and prevent them being drawn back to the Plane of Shadow.
    • Disc of Secrets (silver disc): This is a simple unholy symbol/ divine focus of Shar, cloaked with shadow illusion magic to obscure it's nature. A command phrase reveals it's true nature - a disc of black jet surrounded by a ring of purple amethysts.
    • +1 cloak of resistance (blue cloak)
    • Starry Gnosis (crystal sphere): Shadow Weave artifact. Cumulative 30ft radius bewitching effect culminates in dominate person. Also grants darkvision to holder. The Shadow Weave is a force of magic similar to the Weave & originates from Shar rather than from Mystra. Anyone who doesn't posses the Shadow Weave Magic feat whom uses a Shadow Weave item will be slowly driven mad. You recall tales that originally this jewel adorned a massive statue of Shar in the Temple of Old Night in Calimport.
    • Dark Lantern (ToM pg 156): shadowy illumination 60ft on command, as per dusk and dawn shadowcaster mystery
    • Shadow Hands, novice (black silk gloves) (BoNS pg 149): once worn for 24 hours these grant use of the shadow garrotte maneuver
    • Tunic Steady Spellcasting (black silk tunic) (MiC): +5 competence bonus to Concentration
    • Shadow Maniple (black silk armband) (MiC): 3/ day when you cast a spell with shadow descriptor (or a shadowcaster mystery) you heal hp equal to level of spell cast.
    • +1 spiked chain
    • wand of eagles splendor (33 charges)
    • wand of CLW (30 charges)

PS there was a third wand too

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, let me give you a hand." he says to Temiryl as he inspects the lock.
    "Anyting worth our time in that haul?" he asks over his shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show

Search for trap
    (1d20+5)[25]

Aid another for Disable Device
    (1d20+2)[21]

Last edited by razorback; 2019-09-15 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Forgot spoilers

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Savin checks out the locked door to the north. It's definitely locked but he doesn't discern any tricks or traps of note. Meanwhile Temiryl and Kilus continue to inspect the items of interest.

Meanwhile the four Purple Dragons continue to stand guard. They nervously eye the looming shadowy sphere hanging in the hall, also watching the various doors and the secret door to make sure no ambushes get by them.

Spoiler: more revealings
    Show
    Identifying really can be a headche in 3.5. The way I read it, using UMD to ID an item does trigger the item in question and use a charge.

But, I notice in MiC the updated rule stating Spellcraft DC+10 identifies an item, so that gives Temiryl ~3 more IDs.

And, then the remaining items are all static (ie worn/ wielded, not specifically 'activated') so I think it's reasonable for Kilus' UMD to ID these safely.

So, long story short here's the rest of the info on the remaining loot:

• +1 heavy wooden shield
    • +1 spear
    • javelin of lightning
    • wand of bane (20 charges)
    • +1 studded leather armour (x5)

I think that's everything...tell me if I've missed something.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

As Kilus and Temiryl describe the findings Anthony stays alert to repel possible counterattacks. When they are done he says "For now, I think I'll take one of the cloaks." and does just that, putting it on as he lets the rest of the loot lie on the floor for immediate taking or eventual sorting. "Open some doors, shall we?" He looks at Temiryl.
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-09-21 at 11:18 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"Mm, I can make good use of those wands ..." If none of his companions object, Wil picks up and carefully stows the cure and splendor wands, as well as the javelin of lightning.

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

After looking over the items carefully, Kilus shrugs his shoulders. "I see nothing here that would be of great use to me. If we divide it by shares later, I would prefer to simply find an enchanter or something else. I have also learned to make do with little - such a wealth of magic items was never available when I was learning from my mentor."

"If anyone is left in this complex, they will know we are here. The spirits are tired, and I have no more Daylight to provide in the shadows this day. I do feel like we have slain the enemy leadership here, though."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    "I have learned to make do with little - such a wealth of magic items was never available when I was learning from my mentor."
    "That's laudable, Kilus. Many people expect heroes to grab at any power. Being comfortable doing without ... that reflects well on you." William claps Kilus on the shoulder. "And gives you the edge when tools are taken away, too."

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing no one else interested, Anthony takes black silk gloves and tucks them in his pocket. "Grim, Malark, and any volunteers, please follow me." Anthony goes west to open some doors, one way or another. He starts with the one accessible from the corridor there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Open the door at AH15. If nothing alive or animate in there, do the same to the door at AK11.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes sir" respond the troopers. Anthony checks the first door, leading to an interior chamber in the west of the keep. There is little of note in there, a rubble-choked room where it appears someone has been sleeping in a very makeshift resting spot.

With Grim & Malark accompanying him Anthony opens the second door. This opens to a large muddy field along the wet of the building. Some rubble has fallen from the keep and the enclosing exterior wall, and some weedy undergrowth has taken hold in the northern end of the yard.

Two doors are evident. A wooden gate leads onward into what you suppose is another exterior area to the north, and a door leads east back into the keep at the base of the squat tower that rises above the great hall.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Having opened the door, Anthony advances north towards the corner and observes the yard. He then lets it be and leads Grim and Malark back and to the similar door on the eastern side, which he also opens to observe what's there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Opening AK35.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

Kilus follows behind the others, bow and spell ready in case of trouble. "I doubt we'll find much here. That last battle was large enough to wake the dead, as they say."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

William nods as he trails Kilus. "And an earless beast would even be able to feel some of those mighty magics and dolorous blows."

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Savin watches for a moment, a squint in his eye as he sees the group spreads out, standing with his chain in his hands for a few moments, not sure what to do. With a shrug, he gets behind others as he comes up to the swamp man while grabbing a javelin, just in case. "Is evil this pervasive in your land? The north has other terrors but magicks such as these are rare indeed."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

The gate opens to another muddy yard overgrown with sparse weeds and fallen rubble. There are no entrances to the keep visible but gate to the north presumably leads on to another exterior area.

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

"No, not such directed darkness as this. More usual are the evils that come from things that simply 'don't care.' A lizard-lion doesn't care that it's evil to take someone's leg - it simply does as is its nature, leaving us to deal with the consequences. Or take the fey; to them, a mortal girl starving to death while dancing with them is not something that matters or is worth remembering.

It is the gift of man, and other civilized races, to act and guide such beings towards right or wrong, whether through words, wards, or wounds. Yet even in the cities, many of our own kind seem just as apathetic; there is no community there. That is an understanding that I certainly share with most of the druids I've met."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

"Now, lads, I'll leave you in charge of this southern courtyard, the room with the shadowy sphere and the door leading north out of it. Meanwhile, we'll go and check the rest of the yard and the building."

Spoiler
    Show
    Proposing we leave Purple Dragons to watch over the cleared area and ourselves go to open the door R29.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The gate opens into what might have once been a lovely garden, now choked with weeds, creeping vines and overgrown bushes. There is no clear ground within, the plant life even seeming to spill through a ruined doorway into the base of the octagonal tower. Beyond the partly-obscured doorway the interior of the tower appears dark and quiet.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Through the weeds and bushes Anthony approaches the partly-obscured doorway. He stops near it, adjacent to the wall, and takes a quick look inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move silently: (1d20-3)[17] not because Anthony expects himself to be really silent, but because there is no downside in trying
    Spot: (1d20+1)[3]
    OP26

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Savin watches Anthony with an arched eyebrow as he stalks off. If anything was a danger and didn't hear the commotion earlier, than it would have been a heavy sleep indeed.
    Taking the other side wall forward, he walks with with his javelin raised.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to I-25-ish

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

Kilus advances into the garden, turning to peer into the opening into the tower.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move to P28ish

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

William follows not far behind the Mystran warrior, watching the skies more than the footing.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    PQ 27 looks like a good spot. Hey, we got any more grells coming to eat our brains?

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Beyond the weed-choked doorway is a large dark octagonal room, the ground floor of the squat tower. A spiral staircase in the center of the room leads up to the floor above. Rubble is piled about the floor, a dark jagged hole in the ceiling where it has partially collapsed.

Three doors are also evident through the gloom, one leading to the far courtyard and one presumably back towards the Great Hall. The remaining door leads to an as-yet-unexplored area of the interior.

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony spends his last cantrip to cast Light on the shield, then walks in, shining, armed, and extra careful when walking under the hole in the ceiling. He examines the state of this part of the building, trying to guesstimate whether it's sound enough to go upstairs. If it seems so, he does just that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Immediate: Protection Devotion if attacked or something falls down
    Know (architecture and engineering): (1d20+2)[3]