New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Unofficial Elder Scrolls RPG

Is anyone familiar with this game? I'm having some difficulty grasping the character creation rules. The game says it's based off Dark Heresy, which I'm not familiar with at all. I'm getting lost at the creation points stage. It seems pretty open ended but I'm not positive I'm understanding it correctly. You can buy just about anything so long as you have enough points?
    Most of my posts are made on my mobile device. Please excuse any errors from auto correct.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Unofficial Elder Scrolls RPG

Is it based off Dark Heresy 1st edition, or 2nd edition? They are entirely different systems in terms of character creation.

3. - Top - End - #3

I honestly don't know. I have never read Dark Hersey. You get creation points that you can spend on various things like spells, combat perks, and skills.

Other Games
    This game draws inspiration from a number of other
    role-playing games. In particular: Dark Heresy (Fantasy
    Flight Games), Eclipse Phase (Posthuman Studios), and
    Runequest Sixth Edition (The Design Mechanism). The
    authors of this book do not claim to own any of these games,
    or any of the mechanics drawn from and/or inspired by
    them. All credit goes to the respective owners.
    Last edited by fishyfishyfishy; 2019-08-26 at 09:46 AM.
    Most of my posts are made on my mobile device. Please excuse any errors from auto correct.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

That doesn't sound anything like Dark Heresy, other than 'buying individual skills/abilities' which is literally every game written other than D&D-descended class systems.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That doesn't sound anything like Dark Heresy, other than 'buying individual skills/abilities' which is literally every game written other than D&D-descended class systems.
    I'm not very familiar with the Unofficial Elder Scrolls system, but as far as I'm aware it uses a percentile system and has been moving away from Dark Heresy 1e's structure with each successive edition. The first few editions, at least, predate DH 2e by quite a bit.

"Inspired by Dark Heresy" probably means that it's percentile based, and is similar in its attitude to stupid risks (aka, make them and you probably die).

To the OP: it has been a very long time since I looked at the system, and I didn't look at it very well, but I think your read is correct. Unless it specifically says otherwise, or that there's a requirement, you can just take what you like. I do, however, defer to anyone who's looked at the system more recently than I.
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

FWIW, I have an Elder Scrolls conversion to Savage Worlds Deluxe edition.

I need to update it to Adventure Edition, I know.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Class systems, lifepath systems, random generation systems, ordinal selection systems, the list of things that aren't point buy is long. That said it's probably the single most ubiquitous of the lot.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8

To the OP: it has been a very long time since I looked at the system, and I didn't look at it very well, but I think your read is correct. Unless it specifically says otherwise, or that there's a requirement, you can just take what you like. I do, however, defer to anyone who's looked at the system more recently than I.

It seems I was looking at the 1e version. I found the 3e version, which made some updates that I'm indifferent to since I'm not familiar with it anyway.

Edit: character creation seems to be the same. I think I'm understanding it correctly. It's a very freeform character generation. Chunks of XP to be spent on pretty much anything.
    Last edited by fishyfishyfishy; 2019-09-09 at 08:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

There's also "Edge of Tamriel" which runs through the Genesys system
    I've given it a read through but haven't had a chance to take a group through a game. Reads pretty solidly built. Pdf is organized well also. Found a link for it here in the playground but 'twas a while ago so don't recall where in Homebrew it is.

Although Genesys is also made by FFG, it is worlds apart from Dark Heresy.
    Last edited by ErdrickOfAliaha; 2019-09-13 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Addition

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by fishyfishyfishy View Post
    Edit: character creation seems to be the same. I think I'm understanding it correctly. It's a very freeform character generation. Chunks of XP to be spent on pretty much anything.
    Yeah, its a buffet of choices. You want archer/mage, just go ahead and buy that.
    Everything costs the same for everyone, except a 25% discount on things related to your 2 favored characteristics.

I would wish the rules for enchanting, and what it costs were clearer.
    And maybe a few more pages of talents to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    FWIW, I have an Elder Scrolls conversion to Savage Worlds Deluxe edition.

I need to update it to Adventure Edition, I know.
    From what I understand there's not a ton to update, if that makes it easy. At a quick read of the PDF I bought a few weeks back, the core ruleset is identical, just has some elements streamlined like rolling near-universally taken skills into being free stuff.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    From what I understand there's not a ton to update, if that makes it easy. At a quick read of the PDF I bought a few weeks back, the core ruleset is identical, just has some elements streamlined like rolling near-universally taken skills into being free stuff.
    Well, if you followed that link in the last couple of days, it went to the Adventure Edition hack, anyway, which also added some Edges for some races and astrological signs, as well as discussion of standard edges and hindrances in a Tamriel game.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.