New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The low(er)-headache option here is to use wish to recreate the body, which is in fact among the safe uses of wish.
    So, lotta casters on Rhode Island...
    to fuel several rounds of Wish, and suddenly no one dies ever again aside from old age because they can basically fuel instant revival at any point?

You could probably do that with a small XP farm and a single town's worth of level 1 Clerics and a flock because cardinal puns of higher-end ones.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-09-09 at 08:59 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    So, lotta casters on Rhode Island...
    to fuel several rounds of Wish, and suddenly no one dies ever again aside from old age because they can basically fuel instant revival at any point?

You could probably do that with a small XP farm and a single town's worth of level 1 Clerics and a flock because cardinal puns of higher-end ones.
    I'll do you one better.

Spoiler: Math and Stuff
    Show
    Starting with 3.5 billion years, since that's when the earliest life on earth arose, and assuming a level 30 caster.

The life seed gives us 200 years for free, so the factor to get it that far back will be 349999980.

-200 for the caster burning 20k exp to cast this.
    -20 for increasing the casting time by 10 minutes

We are left with 349999760

Now the fun begins. We could get 350 million level 1 clerics to help out, which is only slightly more than the population of the united states, but we can do better. We'll use the cheesiest cheese that ever stank of cheese, and take 20.5 million people and polymorph them all into a certain copyrighted creature so they can take levels in a prestige class whose only requirements are to be that creature, which gives such crazy casting progression they'll have 9th level spells at level 10. 9th level spells are worth 17 points of mitigation each, so with slightly less than the population of a single city (Shanghai) we can resurrect any creature that has ever lived on this planet.

3. - Top - End - #543

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wow, what creature and class do that?

... and can I get ordained as a level 1 cleric online?

4. - Top - End - #544

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Wow, what creature and class do that?

... and can I get ordained as a level 1 cleric online?
    I'm not sure how specific I can be, but there was once a joke that this creature would be featured in oots #33.

5. - Top - End - #545

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ah, thanks.

I think you’re allowed to use the name and stuff in casual conversation on the internet but INAL.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I'll do you one better.

Spoiler: Math and Stuff
    Show
    Starting with 3.5 billion years, since that's when the earliest life on earth arose, and assuming a level 30 caster.

The life seed gives us 200 years for free, so the factor to get it that far back will be 349999980.

-200 for the caster burning 20k exp to cast this.
    -20 for increasing the casting time by 10 minutes

We are left with 349999760

Now the fun begins. We could get 350 million level 1 clerics to help out, which is only slightly more than the population of the united states, but we can do better. We'll use the cheesiest cheese that ever stank of cheese, and take 20.5 million people and polymorph them all into a certain copyrighted creature so they can take levels in a prestige class whose only requirements are to be that creature, which gives such crazy casting progression they'll have 9th level spells at level 10. 9th level spells are worth 17 points of mitigation each, so with slightly less than the population of a single city (Shanghai) we can resurrect any creature that has ever lived on this planet.
    Bravo!
    Minor nitpick but you don't need to redo math I can do it myself: Let's assume 500 million years for early multicellular life, because "earliest life" gets to wonky set of crtieria
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad