The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 546
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    deuterio12's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Yeah Loki brag about how you're going to totally kick Thor's ass. Because that worked so well all the times in the past you tried to take Thor on.

    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Huh, neat to get some godly character development: A reminder Loki is still evil, however nice he appears, and a nice little beat about how the gods, in a way, are both bound by and rely on mortals as much as mortals are bound by and rely on them.
    "I want to save both the mortal world and my daughter!" Truly ultimate evil incarnate.

    Next comic Loki shows up doing charity work in orphanages.

    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Loki can't tell the truth because mortal perception has bound his personality to restrictions
    Then don't tell the truth.

    Lie.

    Make up some lie to get in Hel's good side. Nudge/manipulate her to another path besides self-destruction.

    Don't just walk away silently.

    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    but a mortal, Durkon, is the one who will save the world. The god/mortal relationship is a bit more even then we thought.
    Not really. Mortals are still the slaves-food, being pulled by the god's strings and if Durkon failed plenty more from where that came from. From what we've seen anybody else from Durkon's clans would do just fine if not better.

    And outside that, sure Durkon convinced a vampire to self-destruct, but Hylgia the highest priestess of Loki convinced a Thor cleric to sleep with her on their first night (while Durkon took multiple days) and then killed said Thor's cleric in front of his own party and got away with it. Send Hylgia instead to "negotiate" with Redcloak and she would have the goblin prophet eating out of her hand (if not other places) in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

    ...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    That's a pretty well thought out set of motivations for Loki.

    I'm feeling a little nervous for Thor though.... I mean... has he READ some of the early comics? Durkon's heart is absolutely in the right place, but the Order has been fumblin', stumblin', bumblin' for quite some time now.
    Nice ELO reference. Ballad of Horace Wimp, IIRC.

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Fish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    If the gods are what their followers believe them to be, what do the goblins think The Dark One is? If they believe TDO is incapable of compromise with non-goblinoids, Thor’s mission for Durkon is doomed.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    If the gods are what their followers believe them to be, what do the goblins think The Dark One is? If they believe TDO is incapable of compromise with non-goblinoids, Thor’s mission for Durkon is doomed.
    Durkon only needs to talk to Redcloak, who is not limited by mortal belief.

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    In fact the most famous rule in english language is wrong most of the time, because english is Chaotic Evil.
    Uhhh.... i before e except after c, and when it's making an 'ay' sound?

    Only word I know of that breaks that rule is weird, but it's a weird word.

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Uhhh.... i before e except after c, and when it's making an 'ay' sound?

    Only word I know of that breaks that rule is weird, but it's a weird word.
    First off, I'm not counting the second part because it doesn't rhyme but even no ay sounds and not counting variations:
    leisure, heirs, forfeit, sovereign, feisty, heifer, Keith (does that count?), glacier, protein, ancient, society, sleight, seismic, neither, deity, financier, heist, science, etc.

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    First off, I'm not counting the second part because it doesn't rhyme but even no ay sounds and not counting variations:
    leisure, heirs, forfeit, sovereign, feisty, heifer, Keith (does that count?), glacier, protein, ancient, society, sleight, seismic, neither, deity, financier, heist, science, etc.
    Yah, I gotta give mad props to my third grad teacher for coming up with that “rule”.

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Basically the entire world: This looks like it should be called "ananas".
    English: "Pineapple it is, then."

    I mean, what the ****, English? They have nothing to do with pine trees.
    Yeah, those crazy English.

    Well, and Spanish. And Welsh. Filipino. Afrikaans. Actually quite a few others, this isn't like the metric divide at all.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cleveland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Who'd have thought Loki would be such a supportive father?

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JumboWheat01's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    English is weird because we steal words and usage from other languages and try to make it all work in one.
    Nobody expects the Gnomish Inquisition!

    Avatar by linklele.

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    English is weird because we steal words and usage from other languages and try to make it all work in one.
    And then those Spaniards come in and take our words back!

    Iceberg!


    Something I noticed the other day is that the way that lengua and lenguaje typically mean "tongue" and "language" (though "idioma" is far more for Spanish common in my experience) is a bit like the English "tongue" versus "tongues".
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Yah, I gotta give mad props to my third grad teacher for coming up with that “rule”.
    I before e, except after c, except when it's March, or early July, and sometimes Tuesdays, when anything flies (I feel like I've heard the march part before but this was mostly me.

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    "I want to save both the mortal world and my daughter!" Truly ultimate evil incarnate.
    More like "I'm sacrificing my daughter so we can use this world to lock away the only thing we're afraid of. If you screw that up and she dies for nothing I will take revenge for that."

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Then don't tell the truth.

    Lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    "Honesty" is a broader concept than "not lying." If Loki tells the truth in the cause of trickery, he is still not being honest. Walking back in there and laying his cards on the table and coming clean requires more than just not lying, it requires total honesty. And thus he cannot do it.

    In other words: Loki can tell the truth to deceive someone, but he wouldn't be wanting to deceive Hel in this instance—so he can't tell the truth. It also means that he couldn't find some way to lie for the purposes of genuinely enlightening her. His intent matters more than the truth value of the words coming out of his mouth.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-08-26 at 07:48 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    One interesting thing about Loki's words about how the gods work:

    They serve to confirm something about Dvalin. It's not just that he want to follow procedure and ask the council what to do. It's not that he chose to adhere to whatever the council votes within procedure. It's just that he can't do otherwise.
    I was about to post exactly this.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    elan: dad plz dont kill roy
    tarquin: ok
    Damn it! Now I have to rewrite the script for #917.
    One and the same.

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Then don't tell the truth.
    Lie.
    Make up some lie to get in Hel's good side. Nudge/manipulate her to another path besides self-destruction.
    Don't just walk away silently.
    That...is a good point. Loki can't be honest, but he can still take the dishonest route of manipulating people into doing and feeling what he wants.
    Heck, maybe he can even manipulate them into finding the truth "for his own ends", right? Maybe that's too close to honesty or still wouldn't work because the spirit of intent matters.

    Either way, it's a moot point for Hel specifically because she might muck things up if she knew at this point.

    And outside that, sure Durkon convinced a vampire to self-destruct, but Hylgia the highest priestess of Loki convinced a Thor cleric to sleep with her on their first night (while Durkon took multiple days) and then killed said Thor's cleric in front of his own party and got away with it. Send Hylgia instead to "negotiate" with Redcloak and she would have the goblin prophet eating out of her hand (if not other places) in no time.
    Did you just suggest we depend on Hilgya's diplomacy to save the world? If the other party in question wasn't Redcloak, I'd say that Miko would have an equal chance of success.

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jwhouk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    This almost looks like it would be the epic place to end the book... but I suspect the Giant has other plans.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arizona (love it)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Huh, neat to get some godly character development: A reminder Loki is still evil, however nice he appears, and a nice little beat about how the gods, in a way, are both bound by and rely on mortals as much as mortals are bound by and rely on them. Loki can't tell the truth because mortal perception has bound his personality to restrictions, but a mortal, Durkon, is the one who will save the world. The god/mortal relationship is a bit more even then we thought.
    Last I checked Loki resided in Pandemonium, which makes him more chaotic than evil. So he might do something for the fun of it, he also might tell the truth if it serves his agenda. He is also not willing to serve the goals of he who wishes the destruction of the universe. (Don't know if I am allowed to say the name of Th****un, so I will not).

    Recall Belkar is chaotic evil as well, but has been known to do things to benefit the party as well. I still claim Belkar has moved to chaotic neutral, or at least hovering on the cusp of that.

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    This almost looks like it would be the epic place to end the book... but I suspect the Giant has other plans.
    With the numbers given there are another 10-12 pages to go.

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    I take it all back. Loki is just a ****.

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ShikomeKidoMi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarthalion View Post
    It's a fictional world, so obviously it can have any population that the author wants, but the pre-industrial population of our world peaked at about half a billion, so my head canon has the population of all thinking peoples in the OOTS world at or below that level. So it requires that they all believe in Loki and believe he's incapable of telling the truth.
    So, I'm going to say it's hyperbole from Loki - just because he can tell the truth to Thor doesn't mean he does, so there's no need to take his believer estimates as even remotely accurate.
    A) Healing magic probably means a higher population peak, even with horrible death monsters to counterbalance the ability to magically cure disease.
    B) Why wouldn't everyone believe in Loki? Not follow him, believe in him. That the gods exist and meddle with the world is a provable fact in this setting.

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Also, human(oid) population is only a piece of it. There's also the dragons, winterwolves, displacer beasts, flumphs, etc, plus the oceans are fully open to settlement by aquatic species.

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Well, then. Loki certainly proved how clever he is here, pulling the wool over not only Thor's eyes, but everyone here in the forum.

    At the beginning of this cycle, Loki set up a sure bet in his favour, or rather, in his daughter's favour, and Thor still hasn't figured it out. It doesn't matter how many dwarves die heroically over the course of the cycle; in the end, just like every cycle beforehand, the Snarl will break free and either consume the world or force the gods to unmake the world beforehand, and all the living dwarves will still fall into Hel's clutches, bolstering her power. Loki set up a bet that his daughter was guaranteed to win, because why would he ever set up a fair wager?

    The only reason he stopped Hel from winning right now is because, as he says, stopping the Snarl is a much bigger win, even if it's a win for everyone. But if the Snarl isn't stopped, Hel still wins eventually, no matter what. And Thor still hasn't figured that out, so Loki will lie to his face about it and then say that the "rub it in your face" loophole means what he's saying is the truth. Loki acted the part of a concerned father, flew off with his threat, and then crashed on his couch at home, laughing his head off on how the blonde fool still doesn't get it.

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Krizak View Post
    Well, then. Loki certainly proved how clever he is here, pulling the wool over not only Thor's eyes, but everyone here in the forum.

    At the beginning of this cycle, Loki set up a sure bet in his favour, or rather, in his daughter's favour, and Thor still hasn't figured it out. It doesn't matter how many dwarves die heroically over the course of the cycle; in the end, just like every cycle beforehand, the Snarl will break free and either consume the world or force the gods to unmake the world beforehand, and all the living dwarves will still fall into Hel's clutches, bolstering her power. Loki set up a bet that his daughter was guaranteed to win, because why would he ever set up a fair wager?

    The only reason he stopped Hel from winning right now is because, as he says, stopping the Snarl is a much bigger win, even if it's a win for everyone. But if the Snarl isn't stopped, Hel still wins eventually, no matter what. And Thor still hasn't figured that out, so Loki will lie to his face about it and then say that the "rub it in your face" loophole means what he's saying is the truth. Loki acted the part of a concerned father, flew off with his threat, and then crashed on his couch at home, laughing his head off on how the blonde fool still doesn't get it.
    If the Snarl eats the world it eats the souls too, so no go on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I before e, except after c, except when it's March, or early July, and sometimes Tuesdays, when anything flies (I feel like I've heard the march part before but this was mostly me.
    Ahem.

    The proper form of the rule is:

    “I" before "E" except after "C" and when sounding like "A" as in neighbor and weigh, and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and YOU'LL ALWAYS BE WRONG NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY!!!!”

    -Brian Regan*

    "Stupid in School" available on YouTube.

    Katt.

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    If the Snarl eats the world it eats the souls too, so no go on that one.
    Which is why Hel's plan is to destroy the world before the Snarl gets to them. Which, I assume, became SOP after the first few worlds failed. The timing is all they worry about; getting that wrong messes it up.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Which is why Hel's plan is to destroy the world before the Snarl gets to them. Which, I assume, became SOP after the first few worlds failed. The timing is all they worry about; getting that wrong messes it up.
    Loki even says he would have sided with Hel if not for the Dark One. That hobbyist of gobbos really threw a spanner in the normal procedures.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground
     
    georgie_leech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Let this be a lesson to everyone: Geez I can never make a half-decent prediction to save my life.
    Says the founder of the Church of the Sudden Skylight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    I fear a very important (if not particularly important to the story) question is being overlooked in this discussion:

    Where did Hel *get* that hustle, if she apparently lacked it before to the extent that Loki felt things needed to be seriously spiced up with a crazy bet?
    What belief or believers are giving her that extra hustle and motivation (besides one giant demigod who totally believes in her)?

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ipswich, MA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    I fear a very important (if not particularly important to the story) question is being overlooked in this discussion:

    Where did Hel *get* that hustle, if she apparently lacked it before to the extent that Loki felt things needed to be seriously spiced up with a crazy bet?
    What belief or believers are giving her that extra hustle and motivation (besides one giant demigod who totally believes in her)?
    Oh, it’s all Thrym. Totally just him. His pure, unselfish love alone is giving Hel the strength to power through and hustle her way up to Queen of the Northern Pantheon. All hail Good Guy Thrym!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Far as I'm concerned, anyone can sig anything I say anytime.

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    What belief or believers are giving her that extra hustle and motivation (besides one giant demigod who totally believes in her)?
    The belief that she had to work for it if she wanted to make it happen. Motivation is a powerful thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •