New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

So do we have to re-evaluate everything Loki said to Hel (or indeed, anyone who isn’t Thor) due to his incapacity for honesty? This also raises the odds that he is stringing his clerics and followers along, actually. Maybe Loki’s followers don’t go to Valhalla at all.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Oh, it’s all Thrym. Totally just him. His pure, unselfish love alone is giving Hel the strength to power through and hustle her way up to Queen of the Northern Pantheon. All hail Good Guy Thrym!
    Thrym sounds just like a Mary Sue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Maybe Loki’s followers don’t go to Valhalla at all.
    I’m shocked by this. Shocked.

We could tell Hilgya, but she’d probably murder us. So let’s keep it to ourselves.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-08-26 at 11:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So do we have to re-evaluate everything Loki said to Hel (or indeed, anyone who isn’t Thor) due to his incapacity for honesty? This also raises the odds that he is stringing his clerics and followers along, actually. Maybe Loki’s followers don’t go to Valhalla at all.
    Not really. Whatever else I think of Hilgya, she arrived at the theory of her own volition. Gods aren't usually in the business of disabusing people of their theories, so Hilhya's theory is still a "maybe".
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbey View Post
    EDIT: And also if Loki is literally incapable of telling the truth, I am unclear about how Hilgaya's prayer to learn Durkon's location was answered.
    It was definitely still a deception. She asked for Durkon, and he led her to a dangerous vampire that just happened to be driving Durkon's corpse with Durkon's soul riding shotgun without an ounce of warning - and a bad saving throw meant she and her baby almost died in the process. Seems pretty in keeping with Loki if you ask me.

And miss another chance to rub it in the faces of Thor's followers? No, I very much believe the "cool lounge upstairs" is a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Not really. Whatever else I think of Hilgya, she arrived at the theory of her own volition. Gods aren't usually in the business of disabusing people of their theories, so Hilhya's theory is still a "maybe".
    If Loki didn't present the theory to her and she came up with it herself, it's significantly more on the side of "self-serving delusion" than "maybe."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #246
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    Maybe, but maybe gods are like stars. The bigger the star, the quicker they burn their fuel, the faster they die. Maybe gods of OotS follow the same rule. Strong gods need a lot of fuel to keep going and will burn out without getting more fuel. Weak gods burn their fuel so slowly that they live several orders of magnitude longer. Not that I have evidence for this, but it might be possible. Any god that decides to be a "strong god" would be unable to become a "weak one" and, thus, can't slow down how fast they burn through their power. Perhaps, if there are weak gods, they are non-senient masses of energy with no direction or purpose except to exist as a mass of energy. Without wasting on thought, creation, fighting, partying, etc, they would just last almost indefinitely until something triggered them to ascend or just cause them to decide to be sentient. Again, I have zero idea on how that would work, but it's interesting to think about.
    Like discworld's small gods? Could be. But the original theory was that gods may decide to not get involved with a world to protect their identity from being changed by believe. And even if you burn fuel slowly you still burn fuel and your decision to not get involved means you intentionally starve yourself to death. Also you decide to stay small and if being a small god means you are part of a mindless mass of energy you don't really have much of an identity so it would defeat the original point.

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    More like "I'm sacrificing my daughter so we can use this world to lock away the only thing we're afraid of. If you screw that up and she dies for nothing I will take revenge for that."
    He doesn't sacrifice her. If the plan succeeds the world won't end so there's no more risk of her starving to death between worlds and no further risk of the snarl escaping and killing everyone including Hel. So it's for her own good, really.
    True, it would keep her malnourished and miserable. But Loki didn't get her in that position to lock away the snarl. So no sacrifice there.

The only thing he is now sacrificing is her scheme to grab supreme power. If the plan fails and the world end's without her plot succeeding it might kill her, but risking her life is not the same as sacrificing her.
    So it's not that he doesn't want her to die in vain - he doesn't want her to die period.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Which is why Hel's plan is to destroy the world before the Snarl gets to them. Which, I assume, became SOP after the first few worlds failed. The timing is all they worry about; getting that wrong messes it up.
    Standard Operating Procedure?
    Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    I fear a very important (if not particularly important to the story) question is being overlooked in this discussion:

Where did Hel *get* that hustle, if she apparently lacked it before to the extent that Loki felt things needed to be seriously spiced up with a crazy bet?
    What belief or believers are giving her that extra hustle and motivation (besides one giant demigod who totally believes in her)?
    She got it from being backed into a corner. You’d be surprised how resourceful someone can be when desperate.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-27 at 06:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Spamalot in the Playground

Thor mentioned they failed to save the souls a few times too. Presumably some of the lesser gods starved those times, and the resulting follow-up world had to be smaller in scope.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It was definitely still a deception. She asked for Durkon, and he led her to a dangerous vampire that just happened to be driving Durkon's corpse with Durkon's soul riding shotgun without an ounce of warning
    Actually, what he did was lead her to a group of people who had as much interest in killing the vampire containing Durkon's soul as she did, which is realistically the best he could have done. If she hadn't been there then the Order would likely have lost to Durkula's minions, and good luck on her ever getting her desired revenge in that case.

10. - Top - End - #250

Lizardfolk

Actually, what he did was lead her to a group of people who had as much interest in killing the vampire containing Durkon's soul as she did, which is realistically the best he could have done. If she hadn't been there then the Order would likely have lost to Durkula's minions, and good luck on her ever getting her desired revenge in that case.
    maybe there is an exception to followrrs of Loki?
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If Loki didn't present the theory to her and she came up with it herself, it's significantly more on the side of "self-serving delusion" than "maybe."
    Is it flimsier than giving dwarves that drank themselves to death a pass on the honor thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    She got it from being backed into a corner. You’d be surprised or resourceful someone can be when desperate.
    The weak, the ones at the bottom, the ones, as you said, backed into a corner replace power with flexibility. And possibly ruthlessness and a specific type of nastiness...
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-08-27 at 02:49 AM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

The Order featuring Hilgya did lose to Durkula's minions. It was Durkon's memory gambit that won the battle. Hilgya's main practical impact so far is resurrecting Durkon after he talked the vampire into not existing any more.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jokem View Post
    Last I checked Loki resided in Pandemonium, which makes him more chaotic than evil. So he might do something for the fun of it, he also might tell the truth if it serves his agenda. He is also not willing to serve the goals of he who wishes the destruction of the universe. (Don't know if I am allowed to say the name of Th****un, so I will not).

Recall Belkar is chaotic evil as well, but has been known to do things to benefit the party as well. I still claim Belkar has moved to chaotic neutral, or at least hovering on the cusp of that.
    Yeah, no. I mean, I acknowledge Belkar's getting better: He hasn't done any worse then Chaotic Neutral this whole book. But neither has he truly redeemed. Even moving his needle to CN would require some noticeable acts of repentance, and he's still taken the first shaky step down that road.
    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Yeah Loki brag about how you're going to totally kick Thor's ass. Because that worked so well all the times in the past you tried to take Thor on.

"I want to save both the mortal world and my daughter!" Truly ultimate evil incarnate.

Next comic Loki shows up doing charity work in orphanages.

Then don't tell the truth.

Lie.

Make up some lie to get in Hel's good side. Nudge/manipulate her to another path besides self-destruction.

Don't just walk away silently.

Not really. Mortals are still the slaves-food, being pulled by the god's strings and if Durkon failed plenty more from where that came from. From what we've seen anybody else from Durkon's clans would do just fine if not better.

And outside that, sure Durkon convinced a vampire to self-destruct, but Hylgia the highest priestess of Loki convinced a Thor cleric to sleep with her on their first night (while Durkon took multiple days) and then killed said Thor's cleric in front of his own party and got away with it. Send Hylgia instead to "negotiate" with Redcloak and she would have the goblin prophet eating out of her hand (if not
    other places) in no time.
    The point I was making is that, clearly, the relationship between belief and god ain't a one-way street. The mortal's beliefs about the gods change them. PLus, Loki made it pretty clear he doesn't give a **** abot this world, adn would totally be down to kill everyone, were it not for a new opportunity. Plus, ya know, he condemned hundreds of Dwarves to Hle out fo boredom, so...Also, H only convicned Durkon to his own lack of Know: Religion, and the Order only held off on killing her because, ya know, she has Durkon's kid strapped around her neck.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A verb cannot mean "something that is X" that is an adjective or a noun.
    Verbing weirds language.

15. - Top - End - #255

It's probably important to note that the funny thing about professional liars is that it's hard to know when they're telling the truth, even if they say it's the truth.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

16. - Top - End - #256

Great writing, as per usual.

Typically this extremely funny comic is at its best when thing get deadly serious. It's the sign of a great story which doesn't just lean on jokes and gags.

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by BarakDeathBlade View Post
    Sure, I guess. I'm not sure why you would want to place a number of crows into a mental institution, but hey, you do you.
    Those a typically a good place to send people who won't stop crowing. Incidentally, I also hear roosters are a popular therapy tool now, blessing visitors with day-long crows from sunrise to sunset.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
    Verbing weirds language.
    Aaaaaargh!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #259

HalflingRogueGuy

Aaaaaargh!
    Why are you aaaaaarging?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

If people keep abusing verbing in this thread, I'm going to pineapple you all to death.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    If people keep abusing verbing in this thread, I'm going to pineapple you all to death.
    Language informs culture which informs language, all of it wrapped up in a snuggly blanket of environment and change. Philology does an interesting thing as it explores how story, song, culture/heritage, and language are intermeshed. It has taken me a long while to begin to appreciate how philology fits into all of this, but a recent book I read about tying together proto Indo European Languages, the Wheel, horses, and the movements of people got a few things to click as I read through a critical analysis of Tolkien's deep themes in the updated edition of Splintered Light and the influence of Owen Barfield's ideas on the fragmentation of ideas through language, or through linguistic evolution/change.

I finally began to 'get' where Tolkien got his animus from, and Joseph Campbell. It also made me see the Bhagavad Gita in a new light.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-27 at 08:10 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

* Reads *

Well, the main thing I'm taking from this strip is that Durkon is not going to be perma-stoned for the rest of the comic's run. If Thor is putting his faith in Durkon, this implies that Durkon will have to be un-stoned. They'll either reconvene and properly adjourn the meeting, or they'll find some way to Break Enchantment Durkon out. I think the first. If the dwarves were setting up security procedures I'd expect it to require epic-level magic to dispel. Xykon could do it, and Vaarsuvius in ultimate arcane power mode. But I don't think it's going to be done short of that.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    * Reads *

Well, the main thing I'm taking from this strip is that Durkon is not going to be perma-stoned for the rest of the comic's run. If Thor is putting his faith in Durkon, this implies that Durkon will have to be un-stoned. They'll either reconvene and properly adjourn the meeting, or they'll find some way to Break Enchantment Durkon out. I think the first. If the dwarves were setting up security procedures I'd expect it to require epic-level magic to dispel. Xykon could do it, and Vaarsuvius in ultimate arcane power mode. But I don't think it's going to be done short of that.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Of course he isn’t, that was a given, the turning to stone is temporary (ending with the meeting), we just need to end the meeting and he’ll be back.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Of course he isn’t, that was a given, the turning to stone is temporary (ending with the meeting), we just need to end the meeting and he’ll be back.
    Or if the meeting can't be stopped, a simple cast of stone to flesh by V will get things back in order.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Or if the meeting can't be stopped, a simple cast of stone to flesh by V will get things back in order.
    Yeah, the defenses probably aren’t epic, because those are rare, and if V was able to level up, if I understand the rules correctly, V would cast an epic level stone to flesh (Blackwing’s stone).

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the defenses probably aren’t epic, because those are rare, and if V was able to level up, if I understand the rules correctly, V would cast an epic level stone to flesh (Blackwing’s stone).
    +1 Caster Level =/= Epic.

Epic is a higher tier thing. An ordinary spell cast by a Level 21 Caster is pretty much the same as the same spell cast by a level 19 caster.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    +1 Caster Level =/= Epic.

Epic is a higher tier thing. An ordinary spell cast by a Level 21 Caster is pretty much the same as the same spell cast by a level 19 caster.
    I guess I’m wrong then, I’ve never played D&D so my knowledge comes from these forums mostly.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Given or not, Pendell has previously expressed the hope that Durkon would be essentially written out of the final book of the OotS saga by dint of having him remain in statue form.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Given or not, Pendell has previously expressed the hope that Durkon would be essentially written out of the final book of the OotS saga by dint of having him remain in statue form.

Grey Wolf
    I remember, and I find it just as ridiculous as ever (because not a single member of the Order will ever leave the strip until the final battle where Belkar and maybe V and doubtfully Durkon will die).

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

well, that at least some loki's followers end up in hel's domain was confirmed a few strips ago
    "hardly any of these are mine anyway"

now this could mean that these one's strayed from loki's path to get there, or it could mean that loki barely has any followers amongst the dwarves and those that follow his teachings end up with hel