The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire SoP/SoM/PoW IV: With A Vengeance (or 2 if they're on sale)

If the turtle is capable of responding to Goma's question, it does not show it as it continues to head to a tidal pool. Inside the scroll case are two items. The first is an egg, small in size and with brown spots on the end. The other is a piece of parchment that feels oddly cool to the touch.

Spoiler: Parchment
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire SoP/SoM/PoW IV: With A Vengeance (or 2 if they're on sale)

Rowan

"Hmm... Cryptic." Rowan says as he reads the message over Malak's shoulder (the unburnt one) "So we need to hunt a shiny goat, sound it's horn that we take from it, and then give the boatman this egg to meet the message sender who will then give us ANOTHER more convoluted task. That is saying nothing about the fact that this message was supposed to come from some imprisoner, (or perhaps warden is the proper term here?) but now that being is absent"

Shaking his head with a sigh, Rowan looks around at the others and asks, "Too much weirdness to tackle on an empty stomach, who wants Hydra steaks? We can avoid the burnt bits and I will see if I can whip up a better cooking temperature... Does anyone have any salt by chance? If not we can boil some sea water for some."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash points to the hut. "Maybe we look there, see if there is any useful information."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goma waves goodbye to the turtle. "Oh well, worth a shot."

As he gathers his shield and restrapes it into place he says "Sure thing Rowan, I'll take well done to be on the safe side. Al'asadriel knows how long we'll be here, so having some rations seems prudent." and to Akaash "That seems like a good place to start. I can take point when everyone is prepared."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ready when you are." Alssariq said, shrugging. This golden ram sounded expensive, that alone had his interest.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

After a lunch of broiled hydra, you inspect the shack. There's not much of note here; it seems that this shack once served as some sort of registration office, with the only interesting thing being a graphic about the boar and its tracks, though it's missing a chunk or two from age. Afterwards, you being your preparations for the hunt.

Okay, folks. The book has a fairly complicated random encounter list that you have to make hourly Survival checks and it was far too complex for its own good, so I'm replacing it with a skill challenge. Here's what that means for you. There are 4 skills associated with this challenge and their DCs are as follows: Survival (Easy, DC 24), Knowledge: Nature (Average, DC 29), Perception (Challenging, DC 31), Knowledge: Arcana (Difficult, 34). Since you discovered the infographic, you get a +1 to any of these checks. I'll want each of you to make a roll with one of those skills. In addition, you roll a dice in addition to said skill check to show your progress, as shown in the table below. I'll track your progress and adjudicate them in whatever order is best; if I need a second round of rolls, I'll let you know.

10 ranks in the skill, Skill Focus in that skill, 5 ranks and is class skill 1d12+skill's ability score modifier progress
    5 ranks in the skill (but not class skill), or class skill and 4 or less ranks 1d8+skill's ability score modifier progress
    4 or less ranks and not a class skill 1d4+skill's ability score modifier progress
    For every 5 above the target DC +1 progress

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Malak tries calling forth his divination spell to further investigate the scenario, but the words fail him. He then simply tries to call forth information about the local area - the simplest of tasks. Again, the words of creation fail him.

Malak sits for a moment, trying to figure out why he has changed, why he instinctively brought forth a black sword of nothingness and a gout of flame. As he ponders, he adjusts something on his face .... instinctively, and then looks, seeing that he has formed a pair of spectacles. The frame of the spectacles are attached to him at different points, drawing forth all four of the elements of the western world. He doesn't pull them away from his face entirely, not breaking the tendrils at the point wher they connect behind the ears. He then gives in to the formation, and finds that the world around him is somehow brighter, louder, and more fully revealed than before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, instinctively bring forth spectacles of the sheikh. Full E (4).
    Not only detect magic, but also now a total of +6 insight bonus to Perception and Sense Motive checks.

Perception check, including GM-granted +1 bonus ... (1d20+19)[39]

Also, I am assuming that at least a minute has gone by, or is it 2 or more?
    10/7/ 2019: I have completed reading Drop Dead Press' The Luchador (Sayre, 2014), and it is approved for playtesting.
    8/31/ 2018: Completed reading Paizo's Ultimate Campaign (2013, Buhlman).
    Spoiler: Player Schedule Notice
    Show
    Nothing of note.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash muses, "It is a possibly magical creature in an artificial land, but it is described as a boar, so perhaps it will act like one in many respects..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nature (5 ranks and is a class skill) (1d20+19)[33] + (1d6)[3]

9. - Top - End - #39

"I can try to keep my eyes peeled, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable about boars magical or otherwise."

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+13)[21]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Rowan

"Well it's a good thing we have eaten, something tells me this might take a while." Rowan says as he ponders the problem of going after the boar (Ram?) to collect it's tusks (horns?) an summon a boat.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+18)[21] Includes the +1 from pamphlet.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Alssariq himself sets to roving the shoreline, looking for faded prints in the island sands.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+20)[26]
    Potential Progress - (1d8)[1]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

After a lunch of braised hydra (and rereading the info from the shack; seems that it was warning that its long horns can gore like a boar, but the conjunction was faded from wear, leading to a bit of confusion), the party began searching for tracks. About 20 minutes later, you find what you're looking for; a set of tracks heading deeper into the island. Following them, you find yourself next to a sharp cliff face and before you can react, a shadow from above looms downward as an almost impossibly large bird of prey swoops down. It manages to grab Goma (doing 14 damage to him after DR) and begin its ascent back to its next up the cliff!

It's currently 10 feet off the ground. What will you do?
    Spoiler: map
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Rowan

"Hey that's ours! Give it back!" Rowan calls after the large avian before he concentrates and chants a spell, teleporting Goma out of the bird's grasp and back onto the ground.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Standard Action: Cast Ranged Teleport on Goma to get him out of the bird's grasp and back onto the ground.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"A roc! Ancient terror bird of the skies!" Malak calls out. In reactive fear to this gargantuan threat, rock pulls from the ground and forms gleaming plates of stone all about his body. Some rocs reputedly come from the sun. Many large rocs would surely be lightning rods in the sky. And all rocs fly in the vast, high cold winds, meaning that the choice of what to use here is just as intuitive. Knowing that this great beast can pluck him easily (without fully understanding his own stone protections right now), he warily moves back, raises his left hand and channels the strange caustic minerals of the earth through him and sends it at the levitating leviathan.
    Spoiler: Malak's Crunch
    Show
    SwA: Form shaitan's earthen armor, full E (dropping E), sheet updated for AC, and DR 6/ B or P (which is immaterial against this threat).
    FA: 5' free move 1 square NW.
    SA: Fight Defensively and use planar detonation RTA (1d20+4)[8], 1E burn for (9d6+4)[33] acid damage. Sheet updated for FD.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-09-29 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Didn't define attack, though obvi
    10/7/ 2019: I have completed reading Drop Dead Press' The Luchador (Sayre, 2014), and it is approved for playtesting.
    Show
    Nothing of note.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash leaps into the air, twisting to avoid the creature's counter, aiming a kick to drive away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    fly, move up and right 15' to reach it (acrobatics to avoid AOO (1d20+20)[37] + dizzying tumble Will DC19 or nauseated 1 round

energy blade (1d20+13)[27]
    damage (1d6+7)[10] + (7d6)[20] nonlethal
    bullrush (1d20+21)[27]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

"'Ancient bird' - you're one to talk about ancient." Alssairq murmurs, knocking an arrow and firing a shot at the bird.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+14)[31] Damage - (1d6)[4]

17. - Top - End - #47

After briefly feeling objectified, Goma gives a thumbs up to Rowan and swipes his shield at the bird, using the air pressure to deliver his blows.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Free action: Berserking for 11 temp HP to eat most of the damage in the delayed damage pool.
    Swift action: Death at Ten Paces.
    Move action: Challenge the birb, giving it -4 to attack anyone else, and Goma +1 attack and damage.
    Standard action: Flurry Strike the roc.

Shield 1: (1d20+14)[30], (3d6+9)[20]
    Shield 2: (1d20+14)[15], (3d6+9)[23]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Akkash flew up to confront the beast, the force of his air pushing it back, which conveniently knocked it into position to get hit my Malak's acidic blast. Goma also landed a hit, Rowan's teleport slightly throwing off his aim, as 'Riq, unable to deal with it in his standard melee style, plunked away with his bow, as 'Zad focused as she realigned her power to be more combat focused.

The Roc struck back at Goma, but some quick shield work was enough to keep it from doing a repeat performance. The then swoops upward, about 30 feet in the air. Is it going to run, or is it coming back for another pass?

Round 2, Fight!

Spoiler: map
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Finding himself unable to pace the creature's climb, Akaash launches a lance of wind at it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    sequence is at 1 (forgot I had it!).
    move 30 ft in pursuit (with vertical costing 2 squares, can't get back in melee range)

1 SP for d6/level damage destructive blast
    (1d20+11)[25] vs touch
    damage (11d6)[28] nonlethal
    can't trip flyers (should get the feat for that...)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Rowan

Rowan prepares his spell and throws it at the flying broadside of a barn above.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    gathered energy primal searing blast on roc

Attack: (1d20+10)[19] vs touch
    Damage (13d8+13)[70] fire damage

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

If it ain't broke ...

Malak defensively fires off another gout of acid at the roc.
    Spoiler: Malak's Crunch
    Show
    FA: Step 1 square SW, between Rowan and Sharazhad.
    SwA: Move 1 E out of spectacles of the sheikh.
    SA: Planar detonation with AoE, burn 2 E for extra damage.
    * No attack roll needed, and it goes off right in the roc's face for (9d6+4)[40] acid damage, Ref DC 19 halves
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-10-10 at 11:33 AM.
    Show
    Nothing of note.

22. - Top - End - #52

Goma roars a challenge as he prepares for another attack from the bird.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Swift action: Encouraging Roar so everyone gets that sweet, sweet +2 to attack and damage.
    Full Round action: Defensive Focus, increasing threatened area to 15ft, and recovering up to 5 maneuvers.
    AOO if it comes at me (bro): (1d20+16)[21]
    Damage: (3d6+11)[20]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Alssariq drops his bow, realizing that his arrows may as well be pinpricks against something that large, and instead draws his long-knife and readies a strike.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    If it comes back around into melee range.

Attack - (1d20+16)[30] Damage - (1d6+25)[28]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

The roc is battered by the ranged attacks of Malak, Akaash, and Rowan. It wisely decides that the snack it had swooped down to take was not worth its live and flies back up the cliffside and out of sight.

Now that that's over, you continue hunting the trail, eventually to the beach, where it heads out into the ocean. There's another island, about 400 feet away that the beast apparently swam to. How do you plan on getting across?

25. - Top - End - #55

Goma points to his new axe. "We could fell a couple trees and make a small raft. With Akaash's wind magic a sail could get us there fairly quickly."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

"That is a longer-term solution, so probably wise. I think we could get there easily enough, but I do not foresee the trail ending on that island...though I could check before we continue. It would not take me long to go over and have a quick look."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"Kakishon wasn't created just for an archmage who could magically fly whenever he wanted, but likely for a variety of staff and less-mobile servants, visitors, and the like," says Malak, still wondering to himself about his having tossed a great wash of acid at a giant, fantastical bird on a demiplane whose external borders fit nicely on the secondary study table when rolled out in Rayhan's library.

"I recommend we explore the island for conveyance - boats, teleportation pads, airships, whatever. As we do so, we should still be mindful that unless the Golden Ram is a construct that doesn't need to breathe, it is probably limited to this island in the first place. If a ram, even a big one, is made of gold and can still carry its bulk with positive buoyancy across the waters? I wouldn't yet want to meet so fantastically strong a creature as that quite yet until we have more information."
    Show
    Nothing of note.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

"The gold could also be... figurative." Alssariq posits. "I'm as excited at the prospect of a goat with a solid-gold pelt as anyone, but there is the possibility. Anyway, a little exploration sounds good."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"Regardless," Malak follows after Alssariq's remark, "ram are terrible swimmers. But take a look at these tracks here. If it were swimming, we would see the tracks go deeper into the water, but I am not seeing that. The tide would cover them, true, but something seems incongruous. Well, let's explore."
    Show
    Nothing of note.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash shrugs, "Magic of some kind or another is likely, but I agree that we can look around this island first."