The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default [OOC] The Plague of Tamor Town

The Plague of Tamor Town

Northeast of the small ocean port city of Qsen, nestled between the Usival river and the Bluestone mountains, the small farming town of Tamor has been beset by a plague and is in need of help.

Discord channel: D&D Plague of Tamor (I am typically able to answer simple OOC questions faster on discord then this thread.)

IC thread: [IC] The Plague of Tamor Town

Maps:
    World Map V1
    Tamor Town Map

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 5e.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Homebrew setting.

3. How many players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-6 players, up to 2 alternatives.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

IC and OOC here on Giant.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Gear provided by class and background or average class wealth (1d4 = 2.5) from the starting wealth table.

I will allow Pathfinder equipment that is non-magical and not weapons/armor.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

See number 16.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

See number 16.

No player races are inherently evil.

Dragonborn have Darkvision 60 ft.
    Dragonborn that have a metallic ancestry have +1 to Wisdom instead of Charisma.

Drow are Night Elves.

Half-elf's mental ability score increase changes to reflect their elvish ancestry.
    Half high elf: +2 to int and +1 to two other stats.
    Half wood elf: +2 to wiz and +1 to two other stats.
    Half night elf: +2 to cha and +1 to two other stats.

9. By what method should players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

30 point buy, use the Mythweavers point buy calculator D&D 5e section. Cap before race modifiers is 16 (3 points to go from 15 to 16, I know that Mythweavers caps at 15.)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Non-evil is strongly recommended, but not required. Please refrain from making murder-hobos and/or kleptomaniacs (staring at you Chaotic Nutral).

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

RAW

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players can use the forum roller to make their own rolls for attacks and skill checks when appropriate. Rolls on the IC thread should be placed in spoilers. If there is a typo on the IC thread causing the forum roller to not work move to OOC thread and leave a note so I know what the roll is for.

I would like to propose that I make the rolls for most saves and the occasional skill check for your characters for the express purpose of expediting gameplay. It might be a little unconventional but it should drastically reduce the back and forth posting that brings combat to a grinding halt.

If you are not sure which roll is required for a given situation, or you do not want to mess with the forum roller, just say so and I will make the relevant rolls and post the results.

I intend on making all GM rolls with physical dice because they are faster than the forum roller and are not subject to typos.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

The optional rules for flanking as decried in the dungeon masters guide are in effect.

Some minor adjustments to rules may creep in due to inspirational material and my experience with Pathfinder, I will attempt to document them as they come up.

Feel free to tweak and/or reflavor the backgrounds provided in the book.

All classes with spellcasting have the following spell on their class's spell list.

Spoiler: Town Portal
    Show
    Town Portal
    1st-level conjuration (ritual)
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Range: 10 feet
    Components: V, S, M (A pebble taken from the town you want to go to. Also small gems worth 10 gp, which the spell consumes).

You open a 10 ft diameter portal to a town or city you have visited before. The portal remains open until you return through it, cast this spell to open a different portal, or die. Anything can use the portal as long as it remains open.

To add a new town to the list of towns that you can open a portal to you must dig up a small rock in that town and perform a ritual that takes one hour where you magically scribe runes into the stone. You can maintain one of these stones per level. The portal opens at or near the location where the stone ritual is performed.

At higher levels: This spells casting time is reduced to one minute if cast with a 4th level spell slot and to one action if cast with a 6th level spell slot.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Keep it short and simple, a few paragraphs (or half dozen bullet point sentences) will do for now. If the campaign lasts long enough I might consider trying to incorporate character specific events.

If you want to be ambitious the 10 minute backstory is acceptable.

Payers will start in the Old Stag tavern in the city of Qsen on the mouth of the Usival river.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, role playing, or a combination of the above?

Hack & slash, role playing, and some mystery.

Adventure through the wilderness. Some dungeon crawls. A puzzle might make its way in at some point.

16. Are your players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can players use for their characters?

Anything in the following: Players Handbook, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Elemental Evil Playerís Companion.

Any official content that is listed legally for free online including UA, please provide a link to the relevant source material.

I will consider homebrew and 3rd party content on a limited basis. A new archetype is the upper limit, an entire homebrew class is too much. Please ask first.

Please limit yourselves to only one or two UA, 3rd party, or Homebrew bits of content per character.

Spoiler: Deities
    Show

The domains listed here are predominantly for role-play reference, I am not requiring characters to select a domain for their class that matches their chosen deity.

Arasdoronen
    The spirit of woodlands appears as an elk with antlers that are branches of an oak tree adorned with leaves that change with the seasons and green fur that looks like course moss.
    Domains: Forest, Life, and Nature.
    Alignment: NG

Grohtgeit
    The spirit of the mountains appears as a mountain goat made of stone with the orange glow of molten rock seeping out the cracks and horns of uncut diamond.
    Domains: Mountain, Protection, and Forge.
    Alignment: LG

Matatabi
    The spirit of the plains is a cat. When it is happy the fur is soft and white, but when it is angry the fur is black like rolling thunder clouds.
    Domains: Grasslands, Tempest, and War.
    Alignment: CG

Avroninko
    The spirit of the arctic is a fox with fur that glistens like the aurora borealis.
    Domains: Arctic, Trickery, and Death.
    Alignment: CN

Iyanrinde
    The spirit of the desert is a beetle composed of sand.
    Domains: Desert, Light, and Death.
    Alignment: CE

Anansi
    The spirit of dark places is a spider coated with fluorescent fungus.
    Domains: Underdark, Grave, and City.
    Alignment: LE

Phoenix
    The spirit of the sun and the day is the soaring Phoenix.
    Domains: Sun, Light, and Knowledge.
    Alignment: NN

Argyros
    The spirit of the moon and the night is an owl with a large round face and feathers that look like they are made of frost.
    Domains: Moon, Darkness, and Arcana.
    Alignment: NN

AíTuin
    The spirit of the calm seas is a turtle so large that trees grow on itís back. It is frequently mistaken for an Island.
    Domains: Coast, Protection, Life, Natue, and Knowledge.
    Alignment: LN

Kraken
    The spirit of the stormy seas is the mighty kraken.
    Domains: Swamp, Death, Grave, and Tempest.
    Alignment: NE

Spoiler: Homebrew Rules
    Show
    Regarding passive skill checks verses rolled checks, unless specifically stated otherwise:
    - Applications that involve deductive reasoning, examination, and rudimentary physical activity that poses no real harm; passive scores are fine as lone as you are out of combat and not pressed for time.
    - Please roll for applications that involve recalling information that the character might have encountered before the game started and physical activities where injuries are possible.

Potion of Stamina: Removes one level of exhaustion.

Spoiler: Town Portal
    Show
    Town Portal
    1st-level conjuration (ritual)
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Range: 10 feet
    Components: V, S, M (A pebble taken from the town you want to go to. Also small gems worth 10 gp, which the spell consumes).

You open a 10 ft diameter portal to a town or city you have visited before. The portal remains open until you return through it. Anything can use the portal as long as it remains open.

To add a new town to the list of towns that you can open a portal to you must dig up a small rock in that town and perform a ritual that takes one hour where you magically scribe runes into the stone. You can maintain one of these stones per level. The portal opens at or near the location where the stone ritual is performed.

At higher levels: This spells casting time is reduced to one minute if cast with a 4th level spell slot and to one action if cast with a 6th level spell slot.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-11-20 at 02:24 AM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

2. - Top - End - #2

DrowGirl

Default Re: [OOC] The Plague of Tamor Town

Players and Characters
    Player Character Race Class Speech
    JNAProductions Ellis Human Paladin, O-Chul's Oath Boldenrod
    ProudGrognard Adamas Goliath Barbarian Sienna
    Gluteus_Maximus Taara Wood Elf Monk, Astral Self red-purply color
    Zergrinch Zarron Half Night Elf Bard

Alternates
    Player Character Race Class
    Edge Danica Novotny Dhamphir Sorcerer, Divine Soul
    Luccan Alvin Corse Human Fighter
    Sporeegg Sybilla Goliath Cleric, Protection

Retired
    Player Character Race Class
    TwoBitWriter Cuddy Sharp-Ear Half Night Elf Rogue
    fyleisch Granig Broken Tree Half-Orc Cleric
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-11-15 at 01:30 AM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

As is common to do first thing on an OOC, I will call dibs on my speech color:

This red-purply color matches Taara's hair :)

Now to go through my notes to see how Taara will react to each of the other party members' appearances and stuff.

Also, you might want to replace Ellis's sheet link with a link to the single post containing both their backstory and sheet link, as the sheet doesn't have the backstory
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-08-27 at 11:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas will be talking in Sienna.

Should we make an attempt to know each other before the game begins? Or will we just meet over there?

5. - Top - End - #5

DrowGirl

IC thread is up (see link in first post).

FYI: None of your characters know about the plague yet, that will be introduced shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Should we make an attempt to know each other before the game begins? Or will we just meet over there?
    I will leave it up to you the players to decide OOC.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-08-27 at 11:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Adamas will be talking in Sienna.

Dang! Beat me to the punch.

Very well, Green will serve for Cuddy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    I will leave it up to you the players to decide OOC.
    Well, I know Taara got to Qsen the same day we begin or the day before, so I'll just roleplay learning the new people
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Danica Novotny
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Danica was born to a single mother, the doctor in the small town of Pruvysk in the eastern nation of Sziedmograd. Even as young child, she was aware of how sickly her mother, Johana, looked compared to everyone else in Pruvysk, and how she herself always felt at least a little thirsty, regardless of how much she drank.

Still, Johana was able to continue her job, tending to the townsfolk and earn enough to give Danica and herself a comfortable life.Time passed, and as Danica grew, her mother taught her her trade, and soon enough she was helping gather herbs and administer medicines. But still, that thirst remained, always lurking at the back of her throat and the pit of her stomach, a dull ache that never quite went away.

On Danica's 13th birthday, her mother surprised her by gifting her with a kitten, which she immediately fell in love with. It was around this age that she began to notice that the townsfolk looked askance at her and Johana, and that new patients always showed up full of nerves. It wasn't until her 15th year that Danica came to understand why.

She'd come down with feverish symptoms, and was holed up in bed when her mother was called out on an emergency. When Johana returned, she found Danica kneeling in their living room, sobbing over the still body of her cat, the lower half of her face drenched in blood, her canines pushing their way out past her upper lip and coming to exaggerated points. With no alternative, Johana explained to Danica that she was a dhampir, a victim of the fact that Johana had caught the attention of a vampire early into her pregnancy. That attention had cost Danica's father his life and changed Danica herself before she was even born.

Before the secret could escape into the town, the two packed up and left, becoming travelling physicians, offering their services for cheap in whatever settlement they passed through, never staying long enough for Danica's secret to become known, Johana letting her daughter feed on her when the thirst became too strong to ignore.

Johana died relatively young of a heart attack, and complications brought on by chronic anaemia. Not knowing what else to do, Danica continued travelling, helping those she could, and bringing painless ends to those too far gone when her thirst simply could not be ignored. News of a plague in Tamor has recently come to her attention, and she has made a beeline for the town, stopping off in Qsen to rest and resupply before the final approach.

Copying this over here for ease of reference. And I believe Danica will speak in Dark Grey.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Well, I know Taara got to Qsen the same day we begin or the day before, so I'll just roleplay learning the new people
    I'll take the same approach. Granig is just a traveler, knows very little about the town. Not even how to say it.

For color I'll use teal?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Alright. *Cracks knuckles*

Let's make a character!

Ellis

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Ellis was born to a sizable family. Mother, father, two older brothers, and older sister, and eventually two younger sisters and a younger brother. Ellis was the middle child, and while her family wanted great things from all their kids, they also had a realistic view of the world, and moreover, hoped that their kids would be successful scholars or merchants, and NOT heroes.

Spoiler: Complete Family
    Show
    Michael Carpenter, father. Retired paladin, heavily injured. Does what he can to help his home town, but does have to rely on Charity to get by.

Charity Carpenter, mother. Seamstress, warrior, and all-around awesome mom. Head of the family due to Michael's injuries, and works hard to keep her family fed and happy.

Michael The Second, oldest son, at 30. Married for five years, engaged for three prior, and proud owner of a tidy little farm in the Carpenter's home village.

Sasha, oldest daughter, at 28. Unmarried, and frequent traveler. Scholar.

Harry, second son, at 27. Unmarried, and currently living in the big city, attempting to learn magic (which does run in the family).

Ellis, second daughter, 19.

Wren, third daughter, 18. Recently married and helping run her hometown's inn, with Paul, her husband. An excellent cook.

Taylor, fourth daughter, 17. Still living at home, but preparing to move out soon.

Tyler, third son, 13. Wants to be just like his dad when he grows up and go off and save people.

Unfortunately, Ellis had a mind otherwise from even a young age. She was never the most smooth or slick person, but when she was 13 and Wren was being bullied by some 15 and 16 year olds... Well, she took a stand. But such minor heroics were not too unusual for the family. But when the boar came, that was when her parents knew they had a firebrand. Charity was out, visiting Harry, when Ellis was 16, leaving no truly capable warriors in town. And a boar-a massive, brutish, monster of a boar-came to town. When he began to batter down the neighbor's door, three houses down, Ellis ran outside. She called to the boar, getting its attention, and started running. She ran like hell itself was on her heels, which it might've been, considering the boar would gladly kill her if he managed to catch her. She managed to get it about a quarter of a mile outside of town, where she sprinted up a tree. The boar, initially, tried to knock it down, but the old oak was too strong. It went to go back to town... So Ellis threw her shoe at him.

It returned, hopping mad. But that only lasted so long.

So then came the other shoe.

Then her hat.

Then her shirt.

Then her pants.

Then, the boar finally was tired of this nonsense and fell asleep. Ellis crept down and ran back home, where she found her mother panicking along with the rest of her family and many of the other townsfolk too. Charity, donning her old sparring armor she used to help keep Michael in top condition (before he was injured) left to fight the boar. Ellis, confident the situation was under control now, got dressed and went to bed.

She was a local hero the next day, with the neighbors thankful and worried for her, but she shrugged it off. It's what anyone would do, or so she said. But her parents sat her down, having a frank discussion. They told her that that was NOT the typical response-and while they couldn't be prouder of her, they were worried that she'd get herself in over her head someday. So, they started training her. Charity handled most of it, and in two years, when she turned 18, they finally felt safe in her leaving.

She's been on the road for a year since then, more or less, helping people when they need it, and doing what she can to make the world a better place.

Recently, Ellis has arrived in Qsen, where she stayed in the Old Stag Tavern.
    Ellis is gonna talk in Boldenrod.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

DrowGirl

A link to the first draft of the world map has been added to the top post. I will be expanding and updating the map as the campaign progresses.

I am developing the style on the fly, let me know if it is hard to read without a legend. Feedback is appreciated.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Taara's CON save against Drink @ Disadvantage: (1d20+2)[10] (1d20+2)[20]
    EDIT: Taara is tipsy
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-08-29 at 01:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Rolls

Con Save with Advantage
    (1d20+5)[11] and (1d20+5)[25]

Insight (1d20+1)[17]
    Investigation (1d20-1)[2]

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Oh no. Why did I have to give in to the allure of day drinking.

Granig's checks:
    Con save: (1d20+2)[17]
    Medicine: (1d20+5)[20]
    Insight: (1d20+5)[23]

Edit: Is this a disease Granig might have seen before or heard about?
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-08-29 at 02:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    Is this a disease Granig might have seen before or heard about?
    It is extremely unlikely. Lets say no for the sake of avoiding story spoilers as I am unsure how I could possibly phrase the line of questions without revealing way more then I would like at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Using passive scores, if that's okay.
    Regarding passive skill checks verses rolled checks, unless specifically stated otherwise:
    - Applications that involve deductive reasoning, examination, and rudimentary physical activity that poses no real harm; passive scores are fine as lone as you are out of combat and not pressed for time.
    - Please roll for applications that involve recalling information that the character might have encountered before the game started and physical activities where injuries are possible.

I will copy this to the homebrew rules spoiler in the first post.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Using my walk about town to find 40 arrows and a couple quivers to buy, for a total cost of 4 gp. Taara will also be looking about town at the separate areas of Qsen, like where the rich people live, where the poor people are, etc.

Perception: (1d20+5)[24]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas is ready to go. Are we stopping by the guards to get the map? Adamas loves maps he would go for sure.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

I think 35 miles is probably going to be a 2 day journey, right? Getting a map sounds like a great idea.
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-08-31 at 05:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas can find quite a bit of food foraging and he just bought some supplies from the innkeeper. Adamas can find food and water for five.

Also, he can carry 540 pounds in stride, due to Powerful Built. However, if you would rather we buy a mule, we can do that also.

What do you want to do?

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

Maybe we can get a cart and have Adamas pull it

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe we can get a cart and have Adamas pull it
    That could actually work. But just a mule would go I think, without the cart

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

I think 35 miles is probably going to be a 2 day journey, right? Getting a map sounds like a great idea.
    Yeah, 35 miles is a 2 day journey even at a fast paced day's travel, except for Taara.

Adamas can find quite a bit of food foraging and he just bought some supplies from the innkeeper. Adamas can find food and water for five.

Also, he can carry 540 pounds in stride, due to Powerful Built. However, if you would rather we buy a mule, we can do that also.

What do you want to do?
    Pull weight would probably be more applicable to a cart, which you have an even higher 1080 for.

That could actually work. But just a mule would go I think, without the cart
    Eh, between the 200 weight of the cart actually and the 420 pull weight of the mule, only one or two of us could actually ride the cart, meaning we would be getting there just as quickly even with its increased speed. I think trying to find ways to get there in one day is great, but I think the best way might actually be to have Adamas pull a cart with his (free) 1080-lb. pull overnight and giving him and someone with darkvision and good perception (so basically Granig or Taara) the stamina potions. 8 hours of travel at a normal pace is only 24 miles, but pushing for 3 more hours after that would bring us within a mile of the town. In the meantime, the others can rest to get their stuff back (Ellis's Lay On Hands).

Granig and Taara have the same +2 con save, while Adamas is rocking a big one, almost making exhaustion trivial. Granig and Taara could even switch off their watches each hour, or if one of them fails their save against exhaustion they take a break so they don't have to use disadvantaged perception checks.

This way, instead of getting there in the 11 hours travel plus long rest and change bringing it to roughly 20 hours, this cuts off the long rest. In the end we might need a long rest when we get there but this way we can have Cuddy (and Taara, if she's not exhausted) look it over when we get there. We have these stamina potions, we should probably use them.

23. - Top - End - #23

Another option is asking to borrow horses from the locals.

No guarantee they'd be generous enough to loan them, but it's a possibility.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Having proficiency in Carpenter's Tools, I'd imagine Ellis knows how hard it is to fix up the cart.

Would it even be worth the time to spend fixing it, or should we just walk? Because if it's gonna take most of the day to fix... It'd be just as fast to walk.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

If I could have got something for my starting gold, that would have been worth it, but I don't think it's necessary. It was just going to be a utility thing. I think Granig is ready to head off. We just need someone to make the decision and start walking.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I think decisive action is the barbarian's domain. I will get right to it when I am near a computer

27. - Top - End - #27

DrowGirl

I guess I was a little too subtle. If somebody who has mending prepared casts it a few times while Ellis works you could have the cart ready to go in about an hour.

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

I thought about trying mending, but I didn't want to hold the narrative up or spend other people's cash on my wild thing. I'll ret-con if people think it's important though?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

To be honest, I sort of like the image of Adamas hauling the cart around as proof of his stamina, with two of the party as passengers.

But we should get going, one way or another.

30. - Top - End - #30

BardGuy

To be honest, I sort of like the image of Adamas hauling the cart around as proof of his stamina, with two of the party as passengers.

But we should get going, one way or another.
    Okay, if we don't need to get a beast of burden, I'll go with it. Quick ret-con incoming.