New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What sort of world would Loki like to create?

Loki called this one "another boring fantasy pastiche". What would make up him go "Yeah, I am really going to enjoy this one".

Also maybe we can infer that the gods had relative success making this type last a long time.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: What sort of world would Loki like to create?

I would say he (and all the gods) really liked stuff like sentient snack foods and cyberpunk talking animals, those weird to there stuff you've probably never done before, its fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I picture a world filled with planners, tricksters and backstabbers, all trying to out-plan, out-trick or out-backstab each other in an extremely unpredictable environment. The kind of environment where, at some point or another, a Meteor Swarm could fall out of the sky, ruining at least one person's plan.

Then the world is destroyed by the Snarl when someone is tricked into releasing it.

4. - Top - End - #4

I disagree, he’s shown an interest in not boring cliched worlds, whenever he gets to pick the theme (I presume that’s how theme picking works, in turn by world) he says “how about pirate superheroes” and then Thor gets to add that they exclusively drink rum and it’s a go.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I would say he (and all the gods) really liked stuff like sentient snack foods and cyberpunk talking animals, those weird to there stuff you've probably never done before, its fun.
    Cyberpunk snack foods. LaserLatte and NanoNachos, fighting a shadow war against the PiezoPizza and IsoSoda corporations.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Cyberpunk snack foods. LaserLatte and NanoNachos, fighting a shadow war against the PiezoPizza and IsoSoda corporations.
    Of course, I bet thats what Loki has lined up for his next turn in picking the theme.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think loki would get bored of everything he creates really quickly and thus if he had a say in it they'd be recycling the world as soon as he'd be so

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Frosthead View Post
    I picture a world filled with planners, tricksters and backstabbers, all trying to out-plan, out-trick or out-backstab each other in an extremely unpredictable environment. The kind of environment where, at some point or another, a Meteor Swarm could fall out of the sky, ruining at least one person's plan.

Then the world is destroyed by the Snarl when someone is tricked into releasing it.
    So... Paranoia?

9. - Top - End - #9

3 Classes

Punk Rocker
    Gangsta Rapper
    Old Guys yelling to turn the noise down and get off lawns

No Celine Dion because he's not a monster

10. - Top - End - #10

This sounds the most plausible answer to me so far. A bit like Game of Thrones. Only isn't that the ultimate "boring fantasy pastiche"?

So maybe the above with plotting sentient pizzas and cyberpunk talking animals.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2019-08-29 at 03:32 AM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    This sounds the most plausible answer to me so far. A bit like Game of Thrones. Only isn't that the ultimate "boring fantasy pastiche"?

So maybe the above with plotting sentient pizzas and cyberpunk talking animals.
    I mean...Not really? The whole point of Game Of Thrones is to take a standard Medieval Europe-esque fantasy setting...And de-romanticize it. Make it like real-world Medieval Europe was and, not coincidentally, make it dark and depressing in the process. It's a reminder that medieval society was NOT romantic. As Martin himself put it, "If a real-life stable-boy talked back to the Princess, he was likely to lose a tongue in the process". It also shows how several fantasy archetypes would play out in a realistic setting. On the one hand, Eddard Stark, the archetypal Good King, ends up spelling doom for himself and his kingdom through those very traits. But, on the less cynical end, the Lannisters and Boltons, who are Evil Overlords if ever there was one, turn out to be rendered ineffective by said evil: their gratuitous and unnecessary cruelty renders them hated by just about everyone and, in the process, destroys any long-term prospects of success for them.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-08-29 at 04:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I disagree, he’s shown an interest in not boring cliched worlds, whenever he gets to pick the theme (I presume that’s how theme picking works, in turn by world) he says “how about pirate superheroes” and then Thor gets to add that they exclusively drink rum and it’s a go.
    There's some general agreement between the Gods on theme; I'm guessing the chaotic ones pitch the more outlandish ideas, but even Lawful Gods get bored and think 'sod it, fine. Corgis run the world. Let's see what happens'
    Loki would probably want a gimmicky world next, but he's probably gotten bored with *every* world before its clock ran out because its part of his nature.

13. - Top - End - #13

A world full of sentient robots who dabble too much in bioengineering and are then overthrown by their organic creations because of how they were treated?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I mean...Not really? The whole point of Game Of Thrones is to take a standard Medieval Europe-esque fantasy setting...And de-romanticize it. Make it like real-world Medieval Europe was and, not coincidentally, make it dark and depressing in the process. It's a reminder that medieval society was NOT romantic. As Martin himself put it, "If a real-life stable-boy talked back to the Princess, he was likely to lose a tongue in the process". It also shows how several fantasy archetypes would play out in a realistic setting. On the one hand, Eddard Stark, the archetypal Good King, ends up spelling doom for himself and his kingdom through those very traits. But, on the less cynical end, the Lannisters and Boltons, who are Evil Overlords if ever there was one, turn out to be rendered ineffective by said evil: their gratuitous and unnecessary cruelty renders them hated by just about everyone and, in the process, destroys any long-term prospects of success for them.
    Thanks for the explanation. How do undead and dragons fit into it?

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    There's some general agreement between the Gods on theme; I'm guessing the chaotic ones pitch the more outlandish ideas, but even Lawful Gods get bored and think 'sod it, fine. Corgis run the world. Let's see what happens'
    Loki would probably want a gimmicky world next, but he's probably gotten bored with *every* world before its clock ran out because its part of his nature.
    Yeah, I'm sure Thor and Odin have picked some fun ones as well.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the explanation. How do undead and dragons fit into it?
    The undead (and those who create them) are a foreboding threat beyond the northern boundary of the Seven Kingdoms. However, the kingdoms themselves (where a large part of the story takes place) and the noble families of those kingdoms are too focused on fighting for power, honor, duty, revenge, justice, independence, or for other reasons to pay any attention to this threat, even when The Night's Watch, a group of people guarding the northern boundary, is in desperate need for any sort of help. Many in the south don't even believe this danger exists, and even the north itself, ruled by the Starks, is preoccupied with their own battles.

As for the dragons, the Seven Kingdoms were more or less unified by the Targaryen family with the power of the dragons about three centuries ago. The power of three dragons, along with some troops and diplomacy, was enough to make the first Targaryen ruler of those kingdoms be known as "The Conqueror". In the beginning of the story, both the dragons and Targaryens are practically extinct. However, one of the main characters, Daenerys Targaryen, receives a gift of three dragon eggs...

Oh, and to clarify: I answered the question of this topic with the assumption that Loki would have complete control over the creation of the world, with no input from other gods.
    Last edited by Frosthead; 2019-08-29 at 06:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The undead (and those who create them) are a foreboding threat beyond the northern boundary of the Seven Kingdoms. However, the kingdoms themselves (where a large part of the story takes place) and the noble families in those kingdoms are too focused on fighting for power, honor, duty, revenge, justice, independence, or for other reasons to pay any attention to this threat, even when The Night's Watch, a group of people guarding the northern boundary, is in desperate need for any sort of help. Many in the south don't even believe this danger exists, and even the north itself, ruled by the Starks, is preoccupied with their own battles.

As for the dragons, the Seven Kingdoms were more or less unified by the Targaryen family with the power of the dragons about three centuries ago. The power of three dragons, along with some troops and diplomacy, was enough to make the first Targaryen ruler of those kingdoms be known as "The Conqueror". In the beginning of the story, both the dragons and Targaryens are practically extinct. However, one of the main characters, Daenerys Targaryen, receives a gift of three dragon eggs...

Oh, and to clarify: I answered the question of this topic with the assumption that Loki would have complete control over the creation of the world, with no input from other gods.
    Also, possibly analogies to the meteors and climatic shifts that plagued the real medieval era. Plus, it's noticeable that those titular elements are, for the most part, the only fantastic parts of the series.

18. - Top - End - #18

I wonder to what extent Odin going crazy was Loki's fault, whether accidental or intended.

19. - Top - End - #19

I wonder to what extent Odin going crazy was Loki's fault, whether accidental or intended.
    I dunno, who thought the northerners being barbarians was a good idea, probably not Loki a bunch of barbarians wouldn’t love a trickster, that’s more Fenrir.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I read that differently than you.
    The issue isn't that it's a "yet another boring fantasy pastiche"
    But because it's "yet another boring fantasy pastiche"

I get the feeling that Loki wants something different, and this is one of a million faux-fantasy world.
    If all the Gods really liked worlds filled with planners, tricksters and backstabbers, and kept doing that.
    Then Loki would be complaining about "yet another boring office politics pastiche[/B]"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Kobold

Whatever world he would like to create, he would get bored of it quickly. That's his personality. No matter how novel or new the world concept would be, or the amount of his own creativity went into it, he is one of the gods who would get bored with it quickly and want to move on.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    Whatever world he would like to create, he would get bored of it quickly. That's his personality. No matter how novel or new the world concept would be, or the amount of his own creativity went into it, he is one of the gods who would get bored with it quickly and want to move on.
    I think Njord had a more transient feeling than Loki. Loki might get bored, but more if it is either a) a long time running in that universe or b) it's an overly cliched or stereotypical world and so nothing too interesting happens. I'd see him appreciating a mad-science or futuristic themed world. He might enjoy watching Evil Goblin Paladins fighting atop screeching emus, but he'd probably prefer to have a world where plasma pistols and overly ridiculous sciency stuff is the weapon of choice. More opportunities to have outrageous things chained together and used as a tool (a giant ray gun strewn together from 5 laser guns, a bunch of energy cores, and a pineapple because that's just how things works).
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-30 at 05:48 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #23

Beholder

I think Loki would prefer something more contemporary. Something where he could encourage big style heists like Ocean's Eleven. Or perhaps something more noir, where backstabbing and conniving is far more prevalent.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

DruidGirl

Since we don't know what was already one in the Universe that OotS-verse Loki inhabits, we can't know.

I recall having read a book where everyone was a dragon, they ate their deceased relatives, and the plot was inspired by Jane Austen. I found that very original, but of course, it could have been done to death in OotS-Universe. How would we know?

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I mean...Not really? The whole point of Game Of Thrones is to take a standard Medieval Europe-esque fantasy setting...And de-romanticize it. Make it like real-world Medieval Europe was and, not coincidentally, make it dark and depressing in the process.

Real world medieval Europe wasn't as bad as GoT. And obviously also didn't contain dragons or undead.

GoT is simply a darker and edgier version of the standard cliched fantasysetting. I don't see how being thoroughly depressing makes it any less cliched.

Being angsty doesn't make it art. The only really original thing is that "seasons last much longer than in the real world" thing. The dark-and-edgy-ness? No less cliched than romanticising something. Just different.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2019-09-26 at 12:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Default What sort of world would Loki like to create?

What sort of world would Loki like to create?

We get a hint from Thor's extended discussion with Durkon and Minrah.

A world Loki creates would be a single quiddity world. It would have less resistance to the Snarl than the current three quiddity world does. It would be consumed rather quickly, I think. It would serve in Snarl terms as a doggie snack, or more aptly, a Snarlie Snack(TM). (Trademark pending ...)

And addressing the side discussion:

Other elements of Magic in Game of Thrones that go beyond Dragons and the White Walkers/Cold Demons.

1. Mellisandra's spells and spell effects.
    2. The Three Eyed Raven
    3. The Trees ( I forget their names) like the ones that the Starks have in their home keep.
    4. The Children of the Forest
    5. Those weird monsters that gave Mormant the disease.
    6. The shaman who cast that spell on the corpse of Dany's husband.
    7. The effects of obsidian/dragonglass on magical creatures.
    8. The death god that Arya ends up serving, and that god's priest/acolyte/assassin.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-09-26 at 01:13 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    A world Loki creates would be a single quiddity world. It would have less resistance to the Snarl than the current three quiddity world does. It would be consumed rather quickly, I think.
    You've misunderstood the question. Obviously Loki knows about quiddity and that he needs to work with the other gods. Of all the gods he's not stupid.

To rephrase the original question, what idea for a world would Loki sell to the other gods if he had total power to persuade them?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Of all the gods he's not stupid.
    Yep. I get the idea that it is in his nature to get bored easily. So to answer your question: mu. Such a world does not exist.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-09-26 at 01:35 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

this made me think it would be an ongoing episode of "Reality TV", they could call "Loki's Survivors" or "Big Loki" maybe...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I don't think Loki would have made a world full of thieves. For there to be thieves, you need to have someone to rob from. He would devise a world were most people were gullible lambs and a few would be constantly tricking them and taking advantage of their stupidity.

Oh, wait...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    I don't think Loki would have made a world full of thieves. For there to be thieves, you need to have someone to rob from. He would devise a world were most people were gullible lambs and a few would be constantly tricking them and taking advantage of their stupidity.

Oh, wait...
    So, Corporate DnD?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad