The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Against the Iron Throne: Starfinder Adventure Path

What role should I fill in the ship I imagine her Chaplin on the ship but does she need another role

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Basically, we have all roles filled. So you could go backup for any of the roles. Best suggestion would probably be to stick points in piloting so that you can be both backup pilot and backup gunner.

Question for the gm: when did you want to get started?
    Characters in play:

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sadly I'm on midnight shifts at work until Monday night, done Tuesday morning. So likely I'll have the 1st introductory post up sometime Tuesday.

Thanks everyone for your patience, I'm pretty excited to get started!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Cool. We're in no rush. Also quite interested to see everyone's finished characters.
    Characters in play:

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I am in no rush, I did spend most of my remaining credits as well.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

6. - Top - End - #36

Updated the Initial Post with a current Roster for the crew! Lasombranti, I will need a sheet for your Mystic as soon as you get that complete.

Also, this goes out to our Captain and the rest of the crew, let's get some back and forth on your Ship's name! Love to see some discussion on that one.

And finally, a tie-in for Vault Hesperus;

Despite your back-alley dealings and best efforts to avoid legal entanglements, you ran into an android named Cedona during your formative initial tenure with the Free Captains, you kept running into an andorid named Cedona. You initially thought she was a bounty hunter, or police officer, as she seemed to know where to find you, however she didn't seem interested in capturing you. She was more interested in finding out why you were in the Diaspora in the first place and whether you were doing illegal operations for personal gain, or some greater good. These discussions were often held in smuggler's dens and belter's bars. Her interest developed into true friendship, and when you and the [Ship Name] were in trouble, she showed up to provide you with a fake transponder, and a cover story that kept you and your crew from getting picked up by the Pact World's Transit Authority.
    All of you were serving on the [Ship's Name] when Cedona bailed you guys out of trouble, so while your personal friendship with her is not as close as your Captain's, you all feel a certain sense of indebtedness to her, if for no other reason then she kept you asses out of prison.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-09-23 at 03:31 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

The link to the ship seems to be broken for me. I just get an error page when I try to follow it.

As for a name... I'll admit I'm not super great at that. Perhaps the Second Chance (considering we have a lot of relative misfits here) or the Wild Card (considering we don't owe allegiance to any larger group).
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

8. - Top - End - #38

Fixed the link, it just redirects to the post on the 1st page where I oroginally posted an image and it's stats. I like Wild Card, it certainly evokes a by the seat of your pants type of crew.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so we're flying a Venture, then? Cool. Probably should have at least skimmed through the parts of the thread between the opening post and me joining in, huh?

Well, that'll make Katara happy if nothing else. The Venture is nice and heavily armed for a Tier 1 ship, and the missiles make a nice satisfying boom when they hit stuff. On a related note... I may have forgotten that you can get gear with an item level above your level at character creation, and Hidden Soldier armour is both far better than Lashunta Ringwear and only 50 credits more expensive, so I turfed one of Karata's Healing Serums to upgrade her armour.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Alright, I've been thinking about a name but I can't really come up with anything better than Wild card.

Naming things is definitely my Achilles heel. The best I could come up with is the Sunfish cause if you squint really really hard and twist your head all funny-like it could potentially look a little bit like a sunfish.
    Characters in play:

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Against the Aeon Throne: Starfinder Adventure Path

Yeah, I like the Wild Card too.

I still have a few credits to spend, but I'm being indecisive about what equipment I actually want. I'll try to have that taken care of by the end of the day.
    Red Sun: a D&D 5e setting based on DC comics!

Red Sun Redux: a revised and revamped version that includes the new content released since the first version of the setting.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Well we could be more specific and name it Jack's Wild, or even more specific and call it suicide king's wild, or if no one likes that name we can not use it and be the ship formerly known as suicide king's wild. I also considered poker terms but nothing came up. So in an honest suggestion I would pich "double down" maybe but "wild card" sounds good.

I have some unspent credits, nothing major however.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hi. Where'd everyone go?
    Characters in play:

14. - Top - End - #44

Morning folks,

I'll shoulder that responsibility, as work has been busy, and there hasn't been as much activity on this thread in regards to discussions about player connections, the ship, and the contact that ties some of you folks to the AP, Cedona. That being said, I am actually going in to the office this morning, and then I am off of work for the coming week, so I will have plenty of time to get us started.

However, so we don't lag behind waiting for a player I may have lost through disinterest, or lack of momentum, who is still with me, if we can get a sound off, I will get started on the opening thread this evening, and hopefully posted by tomorrow AM.

Thank you for your patience guys, and I look forward to seeing how the crew of the Wild Card works together!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm still here. Ready to go as well.
    Characters in play:

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still here. I didn't really have much else to say before the game starts, unless there's something else you need me to do or someone has something in my proposed backstory they need tweaked?

17. - Top - End - #47

Question for folks, on a logistical point of view, I am comfortable playing theatre of the mind style for most combats. ie. Providing a map for lay out, and then letting players narratively describe where they are moving to, ie. cover, closer to target, further from, guarded step and firing, etc. However, our scenario opens with Space Combat, and as I got to composing that post, I have no idea how to do Space Combat in a PbP format ... thoughts, suggestions? My concern being the granularity of the game in regards to firing arcs & shield facings ...

Anyone got any suggestions on how they would like it handled? Perhaps theatre of the mind would speed it up, though it may end up making it slightly more vague. Sorry for the delay, just got to the point of trying to figure out how I am going to post maps etc, and realized I wasn't fully prepared for the space combat portion.

I know, ::slaps wrist:: bad GM, BAD!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

In my experience with Starfinder space combat, maneuvering and communication between players is crucial. Making sure your ship is in the right place to shoot the enemy, and trying to keep the enemy on a shield facing that isn't depleted, are important. Trying to do that without a map would be difficult, and trivializing it by doing away with the map entirely would eliminate most of the strategic depth of space combat in general. I'd strongly recommend keeping to the map. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to manage a space combat map; grab a hex grid from your favorite Google Search result, make a couple of pins for ships, maybe vomit a couple of colours on there if we're operating somewhere with terrain features and you're good to go. We can declare maneuvers without any axes no problem as long as we don't have a Turn of 0. (Forward two, turn right, forward two, turn left, forward two, for example).

With that said, space combat was designed to flow nicely IRL. Not much thought went into making it work in PbP. You might want to conglomerate the Engineering phase into the Piloting phase, you'll definitely want to roll the Initiative check at the start of each round for us so we don't have to wait a day at the beginning of each turn for the results of that roll, and ideally we should have our turns mostly plotted out in advance so we aren't waiting on communication between players.

Also... Do we still have people? Only Bramses and myself actually sounded off, and I haven't seen anything out of the Captain's player since I joined this thread?

19. - Top - End - #49

Yeah, that's a little concerning to me too.

I think the problem is I was so stoked to run Starfinder, is that I didn't do recruitment as much as just throw together the first posts I saw. So if we do want to continue, I'd likely start a new recruitment thread with spots reserved for yourself and BramsesII. That being said is there a specific AP you guys wanted to try? Dead Suns, Aeon Throne, or Attack of the Swarm? Dead Suns and Swarm both go to 12th level ... assuming we can get a crew off the ground, lol, Aeon Throne goes to 5th.

I'm open to comments, concerns and suggestions guys.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm cool with any AP. I've been running my own Starfinder game IRL (not an AP, custom stuff, so no worries on spoilers) for about six months now, and I just really want to get into the action as a player. My character is pretty mission-agnostic; anything that doesn't involve assassinations or indiscriminate attacks on civilians wouldn't really bother her.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A new recruitment sounds like a good idea. I could message a few players out here I used to play with and see if they're interested to join a starfinder game should we not have enough interest. As for AP, I'm good either way. I've never seen any of the AP's; I only listened to an actual play podcast of a group playing dead suns which gave me something of an idea of the gist of the plot.

As for the space combat question, I don't really have an answer to that. I've only played one starfinder campaign before and that one was never really long enough to have proper space combat.
    Characters in play:

22. - Top - End - #52

Cosmic Crit BramsesII? That's the podcast I listened to as I learned the system ... the Swarm one is neat and it has a distinct military Starship Trooper feel to it, complete with logistical problems, scavenging and scrounging gear as supply lines get cut off.

It wasn't out when I started this thread, but it's a very in the trenches kind of scenario, if that appeals.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Not cosmic crit. The sidequest inn. I guess I'll have to check out cosmic crit sometime as well.

I suppose we could pose the AP question to interested players as well. Unless you'd prefer to know before recruitment, of course.
    Characters in play:

24. - Top - End - #54

After reading the first chapter I think I'll do a thread for Starfinder, but I think Swarm Attacks will be a good PbP adventure, the it starts in media res and doesnt let go, that kind if narrative momentum can really drive the fiction and the post rate.

Bramses & Daedalus you are both in, you may have to slightly tweak your fluff but the Solarion and the Soldier will fit right in if you want to keep the builds.

25. - Top - End - #55

New thread is up, here.