The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default 40K Dark Heresy - Saga of the Gatekeepers (OOC)

Here lies all of the rules that we will be operating by over the course of this epic campaign.

BRIEF INTRODUCTION

System: Dark Heresy 2.0
    Player Count: Five to eight, with some wiggle room if all players cooperate
    Style of Play: Investigation, mystery, horror, hack and slash, grimdark
    Allowed Content: Any currently published Dark Heresy 2.0 material
    Character Creation:
    Homeworld: You may pick or roll for a random home world.
    Characteristics: Standard 2d10+20, rerolling one characteristic value if desired.
    Background: All available
    Roles: All standard available, Inquisitor Elite Advance is not allowed
    Backstory: Required. Give me a couple of paragraphs on your background and role and how you came to be in the service of the Inquisition.
    Other Notes: Anything not out of the core rulebook, run by Jordan first. Once your character is complete, send me a PDF of it.

THREAD/POST FORMATTING

-Third person, past tense point of view ("Jozan swung his power maul at the hormagaunt," not, "I swing my power maul at the hormagaunt.")
    -Differentiate character speech with color like this. Try to pick something that no one else is using. Red is reserved for moderators, so don't go with that.
    -Represent character thought with italics like this.
    -Separate paragraphs at conversation breaks or logical action breaks. No one wants to read a wall of text.
    -Try to avoid posting one-liners ("Alaric parries aside the cultist's hideous blade, his own sword crashing into his opponent's weapon and sending sparks flying in every direction. With a whispered veneration to the God-Emperor, Alaric plunged the tip of his sword towards the cultist," not, "Alaric parries and attacks.")
    -Out of Character (OOC) information or questions can either be posted as an OOC Spoiler on your post, or in the corresponding OOC sub forum.
    -Give your posts a quick spelling and grammar check before posting them.

ADVICE FOR PLAYERS

-No "godmodding" or "railroading" will be allowed. For those unaware, godmodding means including the actions or reactions of other characters in your own posts, whether they be PC or NPC. Be patient and let other players compose their own responses. In order to speed things up, it is usually okay to post probable actions your character will take depending on what happens next (if "X" happens, I will do "Y"). The exception to this rule is if you have permission from the GM AND another player to control their character's actions, or if the GM has taken control from an absent player.
    -For speed of the game, the GM reserves the right to make any dice rolls for characters if he deems it appropriate. As a player, you will post what checks you think you're making and the total target number you're aiming under in the OOC spoiler section. Sometimes, the GM will call for a roll and you will respond in the same fashion.
    Example: "I'm going to make a survival check to navigate the party through the hive without getting lost. My characteristic is 36, and I have a +15 to my Survival checks, so my target number is 51."
    The GM applies a +10 difficulty modifier, making the target number 41. He rolls a 22 on the dice and posts something to the effect of "You successfully traverse between the 32nd and 33rd levels of the hive with ease, arriving even faster than you thought you would."

SCHEDULING, TIMING, AND PACING

-All players, including the GM, are expected to post at least once every 24 hours. After 24 hours of no response, your character's actions will be determined by the GM. Extended absences of a week or more with no explanation will be met with your character being NPCd or removed from the game.
    -For interactions that don't require the entire group, it is okay to post multiple times over the course of the day. I don't want to put a post limit on these types of interactions. However, if the entire group is present in a scene or a decision needs to be reached between all characters, be mindful of people who post less frequently than you do. The basic rule here is, "don't advance the plot too much without all players having a say in the matter". If I need to start establishing limits, I will inform the group.
    -If a player needs to take a leave of absence due to work, vacation, or other matters, let the GM know and you will have your spot back when you return without penalty. If taking a leave, you may nominate another player to control your character in your absence if you so desire. Otherwise, the GM will control the character.
    -For the most part, the GM will be making all rolls in the game, but if a player is called upon to make a roll, it must be done using the in-forum dice roller.

NOW ONTO COMBAT!

-Combat takes the longest to resolve in any roleplaying game, and that increases tenfold for a play by post. To expedite combat and ensure that every encounter doesn't take an entire month to play out, here are the rules and formats that we will be abiding by.
    1) The GM declares that combat is beginning.
    2) He will roll initiative for EVERYONE involved and make note of the order. Barring extenuating circumstances, the bad guys will all act on the same initiative, using the average of their initiative bonuses.
    3) If any players go before the enemies, the GM will post for them to all to declare their actions. The posts from these players do NOT have to posted in initiative order. You see the call that you get to go before the enemies, you declare your actions, and wait for the responses. This way, we don't start combat and say, "alright, John, you're up first," then wait up to 24 hours for a post, then, "alright here's what happens, and Henry is up" over and over again. This lets us do large chunks of combat in shorter periods of time and also lets me determine a larger section of results in a single post.
    4) When a player declares their action, give me some flavor text in the body of the post and then your actual action in the spoiler section. Put in any relevant modifiers, your target number, and your rolls, but do not roll any kind of damage. I.e., "Victris launches forward and thrusts his blade forward at the face of the Chaos Sorcerer, a battle cry flowing from his lips!" Spoiler: Called Shot to the head.
    5) Once all active players have posted their actions, the GM will make rolls for hits and damage and narrate what happens on the battlefield.
    6) After this, the GM will have the enemies act. He WILL be rolling for hits as well as damage inflicted, and then giving narration as to what happens. Using his best judgement, he may also have player characters take reactions (such as Dodge and Parry) against particularly threatening or damaging attacks. If you wish to take a reaction that I have not specified, let me know.
    7) If there are players left that have not acted, repeat steps 3 and 4.
    8) Continue in this matter until all combat is resolved!

GENERAL DISCLAIMER

We are all adults, we've been playing these systems for something close to a decade now, we all know the lore and the type of world we're diving into. However, for new and returning players alike, let it be said here and now that Warhammer 40K is an extremely dark and graphic setting. I don't want anyone who isn't familiar with us and the setting to come in and immediately be turned off by the sheer brutality of the game simply because they were unaware of what they were getting into. Be kind to new players, don't be a ****, and understand that while WE know pretty well how grim and dark 40K is, not everyone in the world knows the style of play we'll be dealing with.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 40K Dark Heresy - Saga of the Gatekeepers (OOC)

Sounds good broski. I'll get working on a backstory then.
    Playing Lourn

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Any time when everything needs to be done? I'll compile everything and post it to the thread by Saturday night.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shomaxt View Post
    Any time when everything needs to be done? I'll compile everything and post it to the thread by Saturday night.
    As long as everything is done in a timely manner, I ain't terribly picky on when it gets done. We'll kick things off Saturday, September 7th, unless everyone has everything submitted before then and I have amply planned out the starting adventure.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is there a IC thread that is up at this point? I can't find it atm. Can you post a link to it?
    Playing Lourn

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

All set up ready to go (except Discord currently). Mystic, please link us to the gameplay thread (and any other threads we may need) here when you get our introduction posted.

Few questions:

1. How many threads will there be to keep track of? Just the two?
    2. Are we doing asides between characters in private messages, or in a separate thread so that they can be read after the fact (either by us or by others on the forums)?
    3. Are we avoiding using our IRL names unless they are in our screennames?
    4. Is the 24-hour posting minimum measured per every set time, ie midnight to midnight for example, or is it just 24 after your last post?

Thanks.
    Last edited by LilithGNM; 2019-09-07 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Additional question added.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

biggrin Re: 40K Dark Heresy - Saga of the Gatekeepers (OOC)

By the way, dibbs on green for character speech color.
    Last edited by LilithGNM; 2019-09-07 at 12:49 PM.
    Sister Raine Ravidia

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Guess I will take T E A L for my color
    Last edited by IanMan; 2019-09-07 at 03:42 PM.
    Playing Lourn

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LilithGNM View Post
    All set up ready to go (except Discord currently). Mystic, please link us to the gameplay thread (and any other threads we may need) here when you get our introduction posted.

Few questions:

1. How many threads will there be to keep track of? Just the two?
    2. Are we doing asides between characters in private messages, or in a separate thread so that they can be read after the fact (either by us or by others on the forums)?
    3. Are we avoiding using our IRL names unless they are in our screennames?
    4. Is the 24-hour posting minimum measured per every set time, ie midnight to midnight for example, or is it just 24 after your last post?

Thanks.
    1) just two threads unless I deem more than that to be necessary
    2) okay never mind, I'll start a separate thread for IC private messages, so make it three
    3) avoid IRL names
    4) midnight to midnight

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Thanks Mystic!
    Sister Raine Ravidia

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: Dice Roller Test Roll
    Show
    Let's see if this bad boy actually works: (1d100)[69]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Nice.

Sorry Nice.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I will be this color

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

whoops, now orange
    Playing Icharus Burns

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

everything id ****ed snd now I Talk in gold
    Playing Icharus Burns

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Awareness Tests
    Raine (1d100)[10]
    Lourn (1d100)[32]
    Fermi (1d100)[47]
    Icharus (1d100)[33]
    Calad (1d100)[11]