New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Help, I need a module!

O knowledgeable ladies, gentleman, and various other beings of the playground, I need your help!

I started playing 4e in highschool with my friends. Only me and another member of our group had played any form of D&D beforehand, so a few learned on 4e. Our group stayed together for a bit after before breaking apart, and I haven't played any form of D&D in aboot five years.

Aboot two years ago, I moved in with one of my friends from the group and his two roommates. They and my friend had a small 5e group that I never joined cuz I'm not a fan, though I'm fine with others playing it. Earlier this year, they all moved down to Kentucky meaning that I had to move in with my grandmother.

Now to the heart of the matter! My former roommates are coming up in a few weeks, and my old 4e player suggested we play a 4e oneshot. What I need from you, O Beautiful People, are suggestions for a good, noob friendly oneshot module to run for them!

Two of them have never played 4e before, one has but he most likely barely remembers how, and from what I've heard they REALLY play fast and loose with rules. One also vastly prefers the non fighting aspect of D&D, which is kind of a red flag for 4e, but oh well.

Tl;dr I need a noob friendly oneshot module for two noobs and a half-noob, half-veteran.

Apologies for the really long post, this is my first time ever making a thread ever. And thank you for any assistance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Help, I need a module!

If you have a fair amount of time, I'd suggest Cairn of the Winter King with a few easy modifications :
    • encounter 2 is only the gnome and a wolf(hound) and not meant as a combat encounter at all
    • the mad wraiths of encounter 4 do not pursue outside their area, and they attack any living creature (this can be learned by an easy Insight - or simply telling it to an appropriate PC - one trained in Religion and Insight is a perfect candidate).
    • encounter 3 (the dragon) is heavily skewed to a non-combat resolution : roleplay the dragon's reluctance to combat and interest in a non-violent resolution. You could also give tells that the dragon could even ally(!)
    • with the PCs against the Winter King. Perhaps in exchange of a promise of dominion over the area.
    • encounter 8 can also be strongly skewed to a non-combat resolution - the dwarves could be merchants and not a part of the Winter King's court at all

Or you could use The Slaying Stone as a base of ideas - but making it much shorter in scope. This is fairly easy to do if you tell the players what they are looking for. The adventure then becomes more of a heist. You can also have the town populated by a mix of orcs, goblins, bandits, and other unsavory characters - the important factor being that there is little to no organised structure. This allows for easy (-ier) access to the town by the PCs.

You can "reduce" it to (not in order) : meeting patron, getting to the town, haggling with the dragon for the stone, finding the lost tomes of lore(optional), having a few encounters with the inhabitants (mostly rp), having an opportunity to learn about the orcs also hunting for the stone (they could know where it is, but looking/working for a solution to the dragon situation...), having to face a group that also want the stone once they retrieve it from the dragon (as an ambush in town, or at the border if they weren't subtle enough - or as a pursuit after they've let town and their competition finally catches on).

It could also be worth it to create your own with forum input. Creating one can be pretty quick - if you've an idea for a situation.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

How long do you expect to be playing for?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    How long do you expect to be playing for?
    I have no idea.

The Cairn one sounds pretty good, I just need to obtain a copy. I'm not very confident in my ability to make an adventure myself, mostly because all I can think of are dungeon crawls. I can try, and methinks I have an idea for one, but that might not be the best of times because of one of the new players not enjoying combat much.

Yeah, I know, not into combat and 4e don't really mix, but my friend wants to try. And, ya know, the whole "haven't played in five years" deal.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

check your PMs

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Cairn is at least 12 hours I think...