The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Results 511 to 540 of 781
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    That's actually not a bad shout for the large bucket, either: find some bricks or something that the solvent doesn't eat and put them in with the mastodon to fill space.
    - Avatar by LCP -

  2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Illinois

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    As long as they are very clean. Otherwise the solvent will loosen all the dirt off the brick and you may end up with a lot of it on your model.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Surely there's something you can use between a 1-2L ice-cream tub, and a 5 gallon bucket.

    ION; Something vaguely concerning...
    Having a conversation about Kill Team today with a prospective TO for an event sometime soon... Those Faction Kill Team boxes are no longer in print, thus, like everything else GW has put out that goes OOP, he said that the Tactics cards in the Faction boxes would be illegal. He says Faction Boxes aren't Supplements and thus aren't legal, and then he doubled down saying that Faction boxes are OOP, and thus not accissible, and why shouldn't they be illegal?

    Does that make sense? Is that the ruling? Is that how everyone else plays? Use the Tactics from Elites or GTFO?
    That seems like complete nonsense to me, especially given the link you've posted explicitly includes "Kill Team supplements (All Faction rules, datasheets and Tactics)" as a recommended option in Matched Play (in other words, they are supplements). Obviously, if he's the TO, it's his call on what is allowable, but he can't back it up with anything GW has said, especially given that 'no longer in print' has never been a rule GW applies to anything as far as I am aware (well, except Underworlds, but that is recent and explicit).
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    especially given that 'no longer in print' has never been a rule GW applies to anything as far as I am aware (well, except Underworlds, but that is recent and explicit).
    Indecies and Underworlds have proven that OOP stuff does get made illegal.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Indecies and Underworlds have proven that OOP stuff does get made illegal.
    Yes, but they say so explicitly when doing so, not because of it being OOP. The indices were legal for a long time while being OOP (possibly still are? Canít remember where that sits with Warhammer Legends not being out yet).
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Yes, but they say so explicitly when doing so, not because of it being OOP. The indices were legal for a long time while being OOP (possibly still are? Canít remember where that sits with Warhammer Legends not being out yet).
    Still are. Until the Legends change actually happens, we don't have anything but their hype; if I'm not going to let people source rules from Warhammer Community previews, I'm not going to ban their armies based on previews either. In fact, the Indices are explicitly still legal, because the instructions given to players who use units that didn't make the jump from the previous Space Marines codex to the current one was to revert to the Index rules for those units.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2019-09-22 at 10:37 AM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Surely there's something you can use between a 1-2L ice-cream tub, and a 5 gallon bucket.

    ION; Something vaguely concerning...
    Having a conversation about Kill Team today with a prospective TO for an event sometime soon... Those Faction Kill Team boxes are no longer in print, thus, like everything else GW has put out that goes OOP, he said that the Tactics cards in the Faction boxes would be illegal. He says Faction Boxes aren't Supplements and thus aren't legal, and then he doubled down saying that Faction boxes are OOP, and thus not accissible, and why shouldn't they be illegal?

    Does that make sense? Is that the ruling? Is that how everyone else plays? Use the Tactics from Elites or GTFO?
    While his argument doesn't hold water, I can understand why someone would ban something that is OOP, because it means that everyone is technically on the same field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    While his argument doesn't hold water, I can understand why someone would ban something that is OOP, because it means that everyone is technically on the same field.
    Roughly my sentiments. I'd prefer to make the tactics available to everyone, but that wouldn't fly in a GW store.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

    Currently Playing: Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures, Star Wars: Armada, Pokťmon Y & α Sapphire

  9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    While his argument doesn't hold water, I can understand why someone would ban something that is OOP, because it means that everyone is technically on the same field.
    I can certainly see the argument for this as well. Its of course acceptable in a game between friends.
    But i dont think i would participate in a tournament where i could risk having a disadvantage, simply because there were some good units that was out of production.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    9mm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Surely there's something you can use between a 1-2L ice-cream tub, and a 5 gallon bucket.

    ION; Something vaguely concerning...
    Having a conversation about Kill Team today with a prospective TO for an event sometime soon... Those Faction Kill Team boxes are no longer in print, thus, like everything else GW has put out that goes OOP, he said that the Tactics cards in the Faction boxes would be illegal. He says Faction Boxes aren't Supplements and thus aren't legal, and then he doubled down saying that Faction boxes are OOP, and thus not accissible, and why shouldn't they be illegal?

    Does that make sense? Is that the ruling? Is that how everyone else plays? Use the Tactics from Elites or GTFO?
    point out that nearly every single faction specific card was re-printed in Elites. the only really "locked" cards are the warzone specific ones; IE Orks driving Manufacturing equipment.
    Rule of Cool former designer

    Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

  11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I can certainly see the argument for this as well. Its of course acceptable in a game between friends.
    But i dont think i would participate in a tournament where i could risk having a disadvantage, simply because there were some good units that was out of production.
    Thats a rather large problem I'm seeing right here. If they dropped the old Kill team boxes, why not just let the unit cards be available for free? I mean, they still need to buy the models, so GW still gets sales.

    Once again, GW makes something and then lets it die shortly thereafter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    point out that nearly every single faction specific card was re-printed in Elites. the only really "locked" cards are the warzone specific ones; IE Orks driving Manufacturing equipment.
    Not really. Some factions got all their non-terrain specific cards (Orks, Tyranids), Some got almost all (Necrons are missing the very nice Superior Inheritence tactic. Who needs to re-roll a gauss shooting attack when you can just make the whole attack again), some got only a few key ones (Adeptus Astartes, Tau, Genestealer Cults), and Deathwatch, Astra Militarum, Adeptus Mechanicum, and Durkhai got none at all. And none of the special psychic powers and tactics from the commander boxes got reprinted.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

    Currently Playing: Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures, Star Wars: Armada, Pokťmon Y & α Sapphire

  13. - Top - End - #523
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Thats a rather large problem I'm seeing right here. If they dropped the old Kill team boxes, why not just let the unit cards be available for free? I mean, they still need to buy the models, so GW still gets sales.

    Once again, GW makes something and then lets it die shortly thereafter.
    GW hasnít yet figured out that having rules available for free helps their games, while having them as limited products hurts them. There is no reason why they canít release the text from the cards separately: (some) people will still buy the cards for preference or convenience (see datacards for 40k), so if your printing numbers are right you wonít have stock left over, and your game gains longevity from people who want to play but didnít manage to get the cards. As with much of GWís release model, itís nonsensical.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    point out that nearly every single faction specific card was re-printed in Elites...
    Not even close. I would say that around half were re-printed in Elites. That's basically where my question is coming from:

    I can no longer get [Tactic] - legally. It is OOP. That is, people who have been playing the game longer, and/or bought in the the ground floor, have access to more resources than I do. This is not fair.
    However, I also recognise that some of those Faction Tactics were re-printed in Elites.
    I also recognise that quite a number of them were not reprinted.

    Is everything in Elites legal, and everything that isn't, not. Is that the way GW has chosen to do it, without telling anyone, insofar as that Faction Boxes are not Supplements (in the same way that Kill Team Cassius is not a Supplement for Codex: Deathwatch, it's just a box of models), and thus not legal as per the tournament guidelines post-NOVA'19? Is not reprinting, say, Superior Inheritance (Necrons) GW's way of saying that they don't want it in the game? Because that makes total sense to me. There's no terrain in Arena, so why would they reprint the terrain-specific Tactics?

    "If we didn't reprint it, it's 'cause we don't actually want you to have it." Exactly like Index units not making it to Codex.

    The line "We don't sell it anymore, but it's still legal if you've got it." is abhorrent to me, and it should make other new(er) players furious. That's why I still refuse to rate Index units, despite them showing up in several major tournament-placing lists. You can use Index units if you want. But at least I wont be the one who told you to.

    As per my earlier summary; Elites or GTFO? It seems legit to me. But it also seems odd because GW posted sermi-official tournament guidelines and Faction boxes feel like they're in a nebulous area to me. So I checked with my TO, and it turns out that I was right to ask.

    Not so much as 'Is my TO correct?', my TO is absolutely correct in whatever he decides in making the Mission Packet, because he is the TO. It's more a case of 'Does anyone else do this?'
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LansXero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    We've gone with both aproachs: make only the core legal (learning tournament, didnt want people overcomplicating themselves), and make everything legal (just print it off 1d4chan). Buying an expensive terrain set for a couple of tactics is stupid, specially since KT is supposed to appeal to people who already have the sort of models that come in the boxed sets and who really have no use for the terrain. The killzones were more atractive, but with mdf and laser cutting being so cheap, GW terrain has lost its luster in the eyes of many.

  16. - Top - End - #526
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Winter
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    So I tried a game with the Raven guard supplement yeasterday and the combination of a phobos captain with the new shiny gun they have + marksman honours + tactical doctrine = a pretty terrifying sniper.

    Even more so with a lieutenant close by.

  17. - Top - End - #527
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Is everything in Elites legal, and everything that isn't, not. Is that the way GW has chosen to do it, without telling anyone, insofar as that Faction Boxes are not Supplements (in the same way that Kill Team Cassius is not a Supplement for Codex: Deathwatch, it's just a box of models), and thus not legal as per the tournament guidelines post-NOVA'19? Is not reprinting, say, Superior Inheritance (Necrons) GW's way of saying that they don't want it in the game? Because that makes total sense to me. There's no terrain in Arena, so why would they reprint the terrain-specific Tactics?
    ...
    As per my earlier summary; Elites or GTFO? It seems legit to me. But it also seems odd because GW posted sermi-official tournament guidelines and Faction boxes feel like they're in a nebulous area to me. So I checked with my TO, and it turns out that I was right to ask.
    I really donít understand why there is any ambiguity here. The faction boxes are explicitly referred to as supplements in the GW article. There is no Ďare they supplements though?í The list includes ĎKill Team and Commander Supplementsí as a separate thing to Kill Team and Kill Team: Commanders, there is nothing else it could be referring to. And at no point has GW said Ďitís banned if we arenít currently printing ití for Kill Team.

    As you say, your TO may chose differently. But the guidance is clear: they are allowable. Because of this Iíd be surprised if many places did this.

    "If we didn't reprint it, it's 'cause we don't actually want you to have it." Exactly like Index units not making it to Codex.
    Whether something is OP or wanted for the rules has no bearing on whether it is in a codex: remember that GW is model led nowadays. If it doesnít have an official model they can sell, it isnít in the codex, regardless of rules implications. They explicitly confirmed this in a recent Voxcast: the reason why there are no Chaos Knights with specific marks of chaos is because, as much as someone may want to convert a Khorne knight, GW doesnít produce a model for it.

    Itís stupid and annoying as a convertor, but thatís where we are.

    The line "We don't sell it anymore, but it's still legal if you've got it." is abhorrent to me, and it should make other new(er) players furious. That's why I still refuse to rate Index units, despite them showing up in several major tournament-placing lists. You can use Index units if you want. But at least I wont be the one who told you to.
    Agreed. As much as I say the line is clear above, itís not where the line should be. Someone should not be cut out of a thing just because they came to it late.
    Last edited by Avaris; 2019-09-23 at 03:08 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Turalisj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WI, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by The Patterner View Post
    So I tried a game with the Raven guard supplement yeasterday and the combination of a phobos captain with the new shiny gun they have + marksman honours + tactical doctrine = a pretty terrifying sniper.

    Even more so with a lieutenant close by.
    Meet Captain Deadshot, who needs a vindicaire anymore?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Alterform


    Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

    Factors: 2.

    Wealth: 5

    Magic: 4

    Espionage: 4

    Reputation: 3.

    Military: 2.

    Faith: 6.



  19. - Top - End - #529
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Winter
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Meet Captain Deadshot, who needs a vindicaire anymore?
    Yupp.

    But also, it felt like for the first time ever the hardcore headshotting sniper, was actually a hardcore headshotting sniper and not just someone who did the occasional wound.

    So I'm pleased.

  20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    I really donít understand why there is any ambiguity here. The faction boxes are explicitly referred to as supplements in the GW article.
    Explicitly? No they aren't.
    Explicitly referring to them as Supplements would be hotlinking you to a page that lists all the pre-built Kill Teams like it does with everything else.
    Explicitly referring to them as Supplements would have parenthesis "(e.g; The contents found in Fangs of Ulfrich or Kill Team Mordecai, etc.)"

    There is no Ďare they supplements though?í
    Define 'Supplement'...
    See, to me, it means 'Stuff on the Downloads page' (a.k.a; Eisenhorn, Blackstone Fortress stuff) and Kill Teams featured in White Dwarf. Because - and here's the important part - they're available. At least in the short term. GW doesn't make enough White Dwarfs to go 'round, turns out... Considering Chaos Daemons are pretty good (apparently), it's only a matter of time before the WD goes out of print and people complain about not having access to it anymore.

    To me, "It's OOP, so I'm not making it legal because that's not fair to people who might want to buy or play kill team specifically to come to this tournament." is totally fair.
    What I'm not a fan of, is GW having it both ways; "Indecies are legal but also they're not."
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-09-23 at 04:19 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  21. - Top - End - #531
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Explicitly? No they aren't.
    Explicitly referring to them as Supplements would be hotlinking you to a page that lists all the pre-built Kill Teams like it does with everything else.
    Explicitly referring to them as Supplements would have parenthesis "(e.g; The contents found in Fangs of Ulfrich or Kill Team Mordecai, etc.)"
    Ok, looking again it could be clearer, but I really donít see any other way of interpreting ďKill Team supplements (All Faction rules, datasheets and Tactics),Ē particularly when the article explicitly says ĎCommanders should not be used in Tournamentsí; the lists are clearly meant to be comprehensive, if the Kill Team boxes were meant to be seen separately they would say. I feel anyone who says otherwise is just looking for loopholes.

    Like, the webpages for the currently available teams say that they are only available while stocks last: it is utterly nonsensical that they only remain legal Ďuntil our limited print run sells outí. Being limited is part of the marketing for these sets.

    Again, this is not a good model for the health of the game, everything should be available. But itís clearly the one GW has gone with.

    As for Ďdefine supplementí, Iíd say Ďany product GW has put out for the gameí. Though this is another example of ambiguity in their words: they call them expansions elsewhere. I think their intention is for it to be read as generic Ďsupplementí but it could be read as specific ĎSupplementí, with a clear definition and certain products excluded.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Whether something is OP or wanted for the rules has no bearing on whether it is in a codex: remember that GW is model led nowadays. If it doesnít have an official model they can sell, it isnít in the codex, regardless of rules implications. They explicitly confirmed this in a recent Voxcast: the reason why there are no Chaos Knights with specific marks of chaos is because, as much as someone may want to convert a Khorne knight, GW doesnít produce a model for it.

    Itís stupid and annoying as a convertor, but thatís where we are.
    Except thats explicitly not true. We have the Grandmaster Dreadknight which doesn't have a model, it just has an official conversion. So someone is feeding someone else BS here
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  23. - Top - End - #533
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    I just recently bought the Kill Team book. After skimming through it, a couple questions sprang to mind.

    1. Does either Khorne or Slannesh have their own armies? Tzeentch has the Thousand Sons. Slannesh has the Death Guard. But I canít find any army dedicated solely to Khorne or Slannesh on the GW site.

    2. In many of the Black Library stories, worshippers of Tzeentch sport all sorts of fun mutations. Do any of the Thousand Son faction eventually sport mutations (perhaps in the KT expansions)? Or is that niche pretty much filled in with the Genestealer Cult?

  24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mystic Muse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blessed Perfection
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Khorne has the World Eaters. Slaanesh has the Emperor's Children.
    Mystic Unity by DirtyTabs



    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    ...yeah, I'm basically gonna use you as my example to explain how White, as a color of magic, can represent pure evil. =P
    My extended Homebrew Signature
    My Monster Classes. Taking requests! Come give it a look.

  25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    [*]In many of the Black Library stories, worshippers of Tzeentch sport all sorts of fun mutations. Do any of the Thousand Son faction eventually sport mutations (perhaps in the KT expansions)? Or is that niche pretty much filled in with the Genestealer Cult?
    In Kill Team, the mutants you get are Tzaangors. They're human/bird hybrids who are a little bit more close combat orientated than Cultists, but are still quite cheap and numerous.

    Many of the Thousand Sons Marines themselves have had mutations - Ahriman, for example, has had several different faces, one of which was a dark, empty void inside his helmet. These mutations, in the game, are purely cosmetic and don't play any part in the gameplay.

    [EDIT] The first full miniature of Psychic Awakening has been revealed - Jain Zar.

    That's a pretty daft haircut, but what can I say? It's been 27 years since the last one, and it's all the better with the nice sharp edges and points. A promising start, I feel.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-09-23 at 02:43 PM.
    You don't know what it was like.
    You weren't there.
    You never fought in the Console Wars.

  26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    I just recently bought the Kill Team book. After skimming through it, a couple questions sprang to mind.

    1. Does either Khorne or Slannesh have their own armies? Tzeentch has the Thousand Sons. Slannesh has the Death Guard. But I canít find any army dedicated solely to Khorne or Slannesh on the GW site.

    2. In many of the Black Library stories, worshippers of Tzeentch sport all sorts of fun mutations. Do any of the Thousand Son faction eventually sport mutations (perhaps in the KT expansions)? Or is that niche pretty much filled in with the Genestealer Cult?
    -Because World Eaters and Emperor's Children are still rolled into the regular Codex: Heretic Astartes, they still use the Heretic Astartes Kill Team entry, and got their legion tactics in Elites accordingly. Khorne Berserkers were added to Kill team in elites, but Noise Marines are curiously absent. Is it because they're due for their own codex soon? ... Probably not.

    -As wraith said, mutations are cosmetic at this point.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

    Currently Playing: Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures, Star Wars: Armada, Pokťmon Y & α Sapphire

  27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    I just recently bought the Kill Team book. After skimming through it, a couple questions sprang to mind.
    Kill Team (Core) only cares about fluff that doesn't impact gameplay. Like a page for every Faction on how to generate names.

    One of the things that annoys me most is that the Salamanders' name generator doesn't even have any Latin/Greek names on it. Uh, Hello GW. Their special character is 'Adrax Agatone' now. I can't believe that GW would get the fluff so wrong as give Salamanders models vaguely African names, when their Chapter so obviously takes inspiration from Greeks and Romans like Ultramarines and Imperial Fists.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    It's not 'wrong', it's 'evolved'.

    At least, that's the generous interpretation. The other one is that it's box-ticking because actual inclusivity is really hard you guys. I mean, how else can GW show that they're progressive and enlightened if they can't include a single faction of dark skinned humans with stereotyped names being safely segregated into their own specia-oooooohhhh.......
    You don't know what it was like.
    You weren't there.
    You never fought in the Console Wars.

  29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground
     
    druid91's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    So... The Ironstone. Seems neat. But also doesn't seem that game breaking to me but people are freaking out about it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

    Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

    Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

    Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

  30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

    Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    So... The Ironstone. Seems neat. But also doesn't seem that game breaking to me but people are freaking out about it.
    It isn't game breaking. It's just very, very good for the kind of army that Iron Hands want to play. I watched this list roll through casuals on release day...

    Battalion
    Primaris Captain; Stalker
    Iron Father Feirros Very creative, BTW, GW.

    Intercessors; Stalkers
    Intercessors; Stalkers
    Intercessors; Stalkers

    Vanguard
    Primaris Librarian - 1s to hit = Mortal Wound

    Redemptor Dread
    Redemptor Dread
    Redemptor Dread
    Vicky Warsuit

    Spearhead
    Primaris Chaplain

    Primaris Ancient
    Primaris Apothecary

    Hellblasters; Heavy Plasma
    Hellblasters; Heavy Plasma
    Devastators; Grav-Cannons and Grav-Amp

    Drop Pod

    It's an extremely brutal Turn 1.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-09-24 at 09:11 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •