New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Actual images of the unit list in the Imperial Fists book do not show Pedro Kantor, so I'd be surprised.
    Yes it does. Captain Lysander, Tor Garadon and Pedro Kantor are the only 3 characters listed in the IF book thus far leaked.

Possibly there might be some flim-flam in the way the book is ordered, such as having the "Defenders of Terra" characters on one page and "The Great Crusade" overleaf so the BT's are out of sight, but that'd be very different to how GW have done it in the past so smart money would be on another book, and Psychic Awakening would be the next big event.

....ANOTHER "Psychic Awakening" book starring a faction who historically don't have psykers, but frankly if GW don't care any more then neither do I
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Yes it does. Captain Lysander, Tor Garadon and Pedro Kantor are the only 3 characters listed in the IF book thus far leaked.

Possibly there might be some flim-flam in the way the book is ordered, such as having the "Defenders of Terra" characters on one page and "The Great Crusade" overleaf so the BT's are out of sight, but that'd be very different to how GW have done it in the past so smart money would be on another book, and Psychic Awakening would be the next big event.

....ANOTHER "Psychic Awakening" book starring a faction who historically don't have psykers, but frankly if GW don't care any more then neither do I
    Hard not to notice that all the new Eldar thus far have been mundanes, too.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

oh youtube, I look at an imperial fist video once, and now it's constantly recommending "how to paint yellow" videos.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

4. - Top - End - #574
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Hard not to notice that all the new Eldar thus far have been mundanes, too.
    I believe Psychic Awakening is simply spectacularly poorly named. It's the name of a narrative arc, but the name implies something for the game.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Banned

Hey now, if we had an xpac called 'Rise of the Witch', I'd expect Witchhunters to get massively buffed so we keep a semblance of balance. So in that context, Black Templars make a ton of sense. Banshees / Incubi do not, unless they get a complete rework. Which I hope is what'll happen, since Drazhar is unplayable garbage and the new rules leave him as an overcosted Solitaire. Except Solitaires already outlcass him so badly its not even a contest.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Hey now, if we had an xpac called 'Rise of the Witch', I'd expect Witchhunters to get massively buffed so we keep a semblance of balance. So in that context, Black Templars make a ton of sense. Banshees / Incubi do not, unless they get a complete rework. Which I hope is what'll happen, since Drazhar is unplayable garbage and the new rules leave him as an overcosted Solitaire. Except Solitaires already outlcass him so badly its not even a contest.
    Drazhar is hardly unplayable garbage, he just isn't good. His best use is, sadly, giving you an extra HQ choice so you can run a double battalion of Kabal units. But for gameplay, he's a beatstick who works as a pretty decent melee unit.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you mean by the new rules. Do you mean the rules we've got previewed? Because I'm excited for effectively doubling his damage, but I'd be sad if that came with a point increase.

Honestly, I'm excited about the Phoenix Lord's getting any buffs. The majority of them are garbage and could really use some serious buffs. Particularly Karandas and Fugen. Especially Fugen who costs as much as 5 Fire Dragons and does not nearly have the same impact as 5 Fire Dragons.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Drazhar is hardly unplayable garbage, he just isn't good. His best use is, sadly, giving you an extra HQ choice so you can run a double battalion of Kabal units. But for gameplay, he's a beatstick who works as a pretty decent melee unit.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you mean by the new rules. Do you mean the rules we've got previewed? Because I'm excited for effectively doubling his damage, but I'd be sad if that came with a point increase.

Honestly, I'm excited about the Phoenix Lord's getting any buffs. The majority of them are garbage and could really use some serious buffs. Particularly Karandas and Fugen. Especially Fugen who costs as much as 5 Fire Dragons and does not nearly have the same impact as 5 Fire Dragons.
    What does his doubled damage matter on? to one-shot Agressors that he wounds on 5s? Strength: elf models with S:User weapons are garbage. Does DE somehow struggle with murdering guardsmen? Are there multi-wound T4 models for him to take care of? Hopefully he'll go down in points, because at his current cost he isnt even a good batallion filler.

8. - Top - End - #578

Griffon

In the current ruleset, most HQ choices who don't have a force multiplier - an aura, psychic powers or equivalent - are subjectively worse than 5 normal guys with the same weapons, that's not unique to Drazhar.

That being said, the current storyline seems to suggest that he is out to kill a Phoenix Lord - probably Jain Zar - so him being able to splatter a T4 W6 model across the landscape is suitably fluffy, and Psychic Awakening is a narrative event... little comfort I know, but no one ever promised hard crunch.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Banned

And yet plenty of SM Captains arent taken for the RR1s aura, but to bash face in. I get that psychic awakening is a narrative event, but calling Drazhar 'a beatstick' is disingenous. A Troupe Master or a Solitaire cost less, have the same issues, but are still better at his supposed niche. Hell, even a generic Archon would be. Pretty lame for 'deadliest guy in Comorragh' imho.

10. - Top - End - #580

Does anyone here have any experience with painting iridescent effects on minis, either using actual iridescent/opalescent paints or simply mimicking the effects with standard paints?

Way back in 4th edition days, when I first got into 40k, I had an idea for a color scheme for a nid force that I really wanted to try, but life kinda got in the way and I shelved it. Now that I’ve got the time, money, and stability to get back into 40k, I want to bust out my 4th edition nid battalion box and build up a kill team (and maybe start a full army). The problem is, the scheme I want to use is based on this magnificent bugger:

Spoiler: WARNING: BIG HONKIN’ WASP
    Show

That beautiful thing is a tarantula hawk, a wasp as long as your thumb with the single most painful sting among wasps and a habit of hunting tarantulas for use in horrifying, xenomorph-esque parasitic reproduction. That bright, contrasting color scheme basically tells all other living things to piss off, and it works; adult tarantula hawks have very few known predators.

Basically, I want to paint the claws/teeth/biomorphs/etc that awesome fluorescent rust color like the hawk’s wings, and the rest of the nid would be that blue-black carapace color. The problem I’m having is that I’ve never painted an iridescent color like that, and searching the net has produced a wide range of hints and techniques, so I figured I’d ask here and see if anyone has some experience themselves with this sort of look.

Specifically: if you’ve ever used an iridescent/opalescent paint, do you have a favorite brand/type and how has it worked for you? And if you’ve done that style of painting without a premixed iridescent paint, what sort of technique have you tried and how has it worked?
    Currently Playing:
    Nothing at the moment.

Nova avatar courtesy of the ever awesome LCP.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    What does his doubled damage matter on? to one-shot Agressors that he wounds on 5s? Strength: elf models with S:User weapons are garbage. Does DE somehow struggle with murdering guardsmen? Are there multi-wound T4 models for him to take care of? Hopefully he'll go down in points, because at his current cost he isnt even a good batallion filler.
    Drazahar is Base S4, so when he uses the +1 version, he hits S5. And yeah, just Primaris Marines in general. Being able to actually kill a squad of them in a single Fight phase would make him so much better.

The other time is giving monsters an actual hard time. If you give him his Warlord trait to reroll everything to wound, he has a decent chance of getting wounds through on stuff like Carnifex's. The damage being 2-4 means he can actually kill the buggers rather then mostly bounce off them.

As for Archon's, oh my goodness are they useless. Not that they should be! But almost without fail they'll manage to lose their shadowfield to Overwatch and then somehow fail to wound at all before getting clubbed to death by Guardsmen or something stupid like that. And it's not just me. It's almost a meme in our meta how the Archon always manages to be useless.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Coming to you live from the meta of yesteryear!

Spoiler
    Show

++ Super-Heavy Detachment +6CP (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [96 PL, 9CP, 1,704pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [6CP]

Household Choice: Questor Imperialis
    . House Griffith

+ Lord of War +

Armiger Warglaives [18 PL, 324pts]
    . Armiger Warglaive: Heavy Stubber

Armiger Warglaives [18 PL, 324pts]

Knight Gallant [20 PL, 352pts]: Character (Knight Lance), Heavy Stubber, Reaper Chainsword, Thunderstrike gauntlet

Knight Gallant [20 PL, 352pts]: Heavy Stubber, Reaper Chainsword, Thunderstrike gauntlet

Knight Gallant [20 PL, 352pts]: Heavy Stubber, Reaper Chainsword, Thunderstrike gauntlet

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [11 PL, 291pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

+ Elites +

Ratlings [3 PL, 81pts]
    . 9x Ratling: 9x Sniper Rifle

Ratlings [3 PL, 90pts]
    . 10x Ratling: 10x Sniper Rifle

Ratlings [3 PL, 90pts]
    . 10x Ratling: 10x Sniper Rifle

++ Total: [107 PL, 10CP, 1,995pts] ++

I probably should go for my standard guard battalion, but this was just too funny to keep to myself.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

13. - Top - End - #583

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rizhail View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with painting iridescent effects on minis, either using actual iridescent/opalescent paints or simply mimicking the effects with standard paints?
    I've done a tiny, tiny bit. The best results I got were from mixing two glazes - in this case, probably blue and green, looking at the image you have linked to - and painting several super-watery layers onto a black undercoat/cobalt blue basecoat. It took a while to get the mix of blue, green and water right and it took several layers, but eventually I built up a glossy blue-green colour which I edged with pink and then gloss varnished again for good measure.

I still wasn't super-happy with it, but I could see how I was getting the colour that I wanted - it was just taking way longer than I had patience for. Similarly, I was using the GW brand glazes, for which I don't know the closest equivalents since they changed it over. You might get a similar effect with a mix of Shades and then gloss varnishing, but I have never been inclined to try.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-09-30 at 05:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Gem paints are a pain in the arse. I got a pretty decent effect painting a Knight-Azyros cherry red, and I will never try to do it again because the same effect can now be done using Contrast paints:

Leadbelcher > Drybrush Runefang > Contrast Paint of your choice.
    I have to say, however, that I couldn't get it the way I wanted it, and have given up doing that.

You can do the same thing with Glazes. It's basically the same result.

Also be aware that GW produces gloss shades now. They have their place. I've never used a gloss wash in my life. But I suppose this would be a good time.

Specifically: if you’ve ever used an iridescent/opalescent paint, do you have a favorite brand/type and how has it worked for you?
    A friend of mine used iridescent paint to paint a Wraithknight. It didn't look very good.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #585
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    As for Archon's, oh my goodness are they useless. Not that they should be! But almost without fail they'll manage to lose their shadowfield to Overwatch and then somehow fail to wound at all before getting clubbed to death by Guardsmen or something stupid like that. And it's not just me. It's almost a meme in our meta how the Archon always manages to be useless.
    Thats so weird, we've got the Archon who killed Ka'bandha, the one who keeps killing Guilliman and the one who keeps shooting Knights dead. Funny how things change meta to meta.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

@ Rizhail To get the effect you are looking for, the closest you can get while still being easy enough to make the army look good and not take months is similar to Cheese's suggestion. Go lead belcher, drybrush runefang(or any other bright silver) and use the Ankhelion Green(even though its totally blue with a slight hint of green, weird misleading name for no reason).

What you could do to make the effect even better is do the above then hit it with another drybrush of the bright silver and do a thinned down version of the Ankhelion green over it again.

17. - Top - End - #587

*Akhelian Green.

Here's a fun tool, this guy did, on the same model for easy comparison, a test pallet for every contrast paint on 4 different base coats, one of which is leadbelcher. Akhelian Green on Leadbelcher does indeed get a similar blue-black colour to what you want! Adjust the Leadbelcher with washes or highlights to get a darker or brighter contrast!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Here's a fun tool, this guy did, on the same model for easy comparison
    I think there's an issue painting reds over Leadbelcher. But that's why you're supposed to use gold.

I'm a big fan of my Knight-Azyros that I did (it's gone now, no photos). Unfortunately, in order to get that effect, it involved using Gem Paints, and it was way more trouble than it was actually worth, and I decided to never do it again.

As always, trying to properly capture translucence on a still image is a mug's game. Try moving images. Unfortunately, Akhelian Green isn't one of the examples. But it does give you an idea what it kind of looks like. You just have to pick the right colour.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-10-02 at 09:49 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, the list I'm thinking of bringing to tonight's game night
    Spoiler: List 1
    Show
    Battalion Detachment -8 CP, 999/1000 points
    -Stalker Pack

HQ: Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf (W) -119 points
    -Ironfang of Ammagrimgul, Storm Shield,

Bjorn the Fell-Handed -216 points

Troops: Blood Claws x5 -74 points
    -Pack Leader with Power Fist

Blood Claws x5 -74 points
    -Pack Leader with Power Fist

Intercessors x5 -89 points
    -Bolt Rifles, auxilliary grenade launcher
    -Pack Leader with Power Sword

Elites: Wulfen x5 -221 points
    -2x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield, 2x Frost Claws

Fast Attack: Cyberwolf -15 points

Thunderwolf Cavalry x3 -192 points
    -2x Wolf Claw and Storm Shield
    -Pack leader with Thunder Hammer and storm shield

So, couple of questions;
    1) I'm vacillating on Warlord Trait. Should I go Saga of the Savage, Saga of the Wolfkin, Saga of the Hunter, or Saga of the Beastslayer?
    a) Saga of the Wolfkin and Saga of the Savage are pretty similar. The question mostly comes down to which will be easier to perform the deed of lengend for. Kill 5 models over the course of the game, or inflict 5 unsaved wounds in a single round?
    b) Thunderwolves and Bloodclaws charging after they advance, with re-rolls from the Wulfen, seems great.
    c) Saga of the Beastslayer: Probably the easiest to pass on. Would be tempting if he had a Thunder hammer, though.
    2) Is there a better use of 19 points than a power sword on the drop zone intercessors and a Cyberwolf hiding in reserves? Perhaps giving Bjorn a Twin Lascannon (If my opponent is okay with one proxy)?
    Last edited by Squark; 2019-10-02 at 03:58 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

20. - Top - End - #590

How do Space Marine bikes stack up nowadays? I've got a bunch of the Ravenwing kits I've never used, and another half-dozen bikes I found in a bitz box, so I'm trying to decide if they'll go to my Marines or get looted by my Orks.

I'm aiming for Salamanders, or something stylistically similar, so I can use my Vulkan (possibly as a counts-as-Captain if not Salamanders themselves) and Legion of the Damned minis as heroes/squad leaders.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hootman View Post
    How do Space Marine bikes stack up nowadays? I've got a bunch of the Ravenwing kits I've never used, and another half-dozen bikes I found in a bitz box, so I'm trying to decide if they'll go to my Marines or get looted by my Orks.
    Not great. The only reason to use them is because they come with Storm Twin Boltguns, which you can then add a Storm Bolter onto, for 8 shots from a single model. Scout Bikes aren't 'good', per se, but they are useful on occasion and they're definitely what you bring when you want to make a Space Marine Brigade for some reason. Normal Bikes, though? Kind of a waste. Especially now that Drop Pods are back in town.

Dark Angels... Don't use normal Bikes. They use Bikes with Plasma Guns on the front and pickaxes in Melee.
    Space Wolves... Use ThunderCav.

For everything else? ...Vertus Praetors just blow Bikes out of the water, and Dawneagle Captains are serious business.

So yeah. Bikes aren't good. Insultingly, White Scars want just one unit of Bikes if their army, because everything in the White Scars book that makes Bikes almost playable is a Stratagem, which means it can only be played once per turn.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #592
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Not great. The only reason to use them is because they come with Storm Twin Boltguns, which you can then add a Storm Bolter onto, for 8 shots from a single model. Scout Bikes aren't 'good', per se, but they are useful on occasion and they're definitely what you bring when you want to make a Space Marine Brigade for some reason. Normal Bikes, though? Kind of a waste. Especially now that Drop Pods are back in town.

Dark Angels... Don't use normal Bikes. They use Bikes with Plasma Guns on the front and pickaxes in Melee.
    Space Wolves... Use ThunderCav.

For everything else? ...Vertus Praetors just blow Bikes out of the water, and Dawneagle Captains are serious business.

So yeah. Bikes aren't good. Insultingly, White Scars want just one unit of Bikes if their army, because everything in the White Scars book that makes Bikes almost playable is a Stratagem, which means it can only be played once per turn.
    Not really, it wants HQs with Jump Packs and Phobos units to keep up, with a Terminator ancient so he can drop in to provide its aura. Bikes just give you a meme list, its better to start hidden in terrain 9" away from the enemy deployment than to be sitting at the deploy line and get shot to pieces 'cause you got seized. Also, not flying makes your speed way less relevant.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Other than the excess flash, this is one of the few times I've photographed a mini and not instantly hated it 'cause it showed up all the flaws in my painting.

Might have taken ~4 years to finally put some paint on one of them, but it was actually surprisingly quick to paint overall. Only 5 more to go ...
    Last edited by Drasius; 2019-10-03 at 04:53 AM.

24. - Top - End - #594

Wraith, Cheese, Corsair, and Gwyn: thanks for the info and ideas. I didn’t even think of contrast paints, and they are definitely sounding like the better option over expensive and finicky iridescent paints or spending a long time mixing and layering glazes and hoping for the best. I think the time part is the really big one, since if I turn this into an army I’m definitely going for a horde of nids. Now I just need to nail the fluorescent orange look for all the spiky bits and I’ll be set.

On the topic of painting nids: with the ability to mix sub factions in an army, you obviously need to be able to tell them apart (more importantly, your opponent needs to be able to tell them apart). That’s easy for some armies like marines where you can just use different trim on shoulders so you don’t ruin the cohesiveness of the army’s paint scheme, but what sort of markings would you use for something like nids or necrons? I’m asking this as a “what would you personally do”, not a ‘what is the one expected method’ thing.

My first thought for my case is sticking with a single style (single, iridescent-ish body color and a fluorescent color for claws and such), and just changing which two colors are used based on subfaction. It would definitely be colorful on the tabletop, but I’m not sure how good or cohesive it might look.

@Drasius: that knight is gorgeous. And an appropriate color for October.
    Currently Playing:
    Nothing at the moment.

Nova avatar courtesy of the ever awesome LCP.

25. - Top - End - #595

Or perhaps keep the iridescent shell the unifying factor, and use different skin colours? Doesn't work for your scheme, but otherwise I think using patterning works for shells: speckled is group A, striped is group B, block colour is group C, etc.

Or just mark the base rims.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

26. - Top - End - #596

Griffon

@Drasius: that knight is gorgeous. And an appropriate color for October.
    I concur! Orange is probably the most under-used colour, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone who uses it apart from Fire Dragons, and yours looks all the better for it being a novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Or just mark the base rims.
    I'd say do this one, too - if only because a new codex/supplement might mean that you need to re-structure your list, and repainting rims is WAY less hassle than repainting patterns on a model!

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

On the topic of painting nids: with the ability to mix sub factions in an army, you obviously need to be able to tell them apart
    If you're playing Tyranids right, you should barely be able to tell different units apart - even when they're from the same Detachment.

If you want your army to be cohesive, you're going to need to switch the Carapace or Skin colour - but not both! Just keep it in the same colour range and it should be okay. It's all different Splinter Fleets from the main Fleet.
    EDIT: Actually, and a lot less obtrusively; Paint the hooves, claws and talons (probably not teeth, though) different colours. Like Space Marines painting shoulder rims.

To differentiate units from each other (if you're playing Tyranids right) is what speckles and carapace markings are for.

If you're looking at making a cohesively painted army, the last thing you want to do is have different bases.

I would rather paint up an entire Detachment of actual Blood Angels with the same bases as my Imperial Fists. Than run a Detachment of Imperial Fists with red-rimmed bases.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-10-03 at 10:47 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #598

GnomePirate

You can always paint the edges of the bases a different color. Will keep the army coherent but be easy to see from a distance. Bold colors work best

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    If you're playing Tyranids right, you should barely be able to tell different units apart - even when they're from the same Detachment.

If you want your army to be cohesive, you're going to need to switch the Carapace or Skin colour - but not both! Just keep it in the same colour range and it should be okay. It's all different Splinter Fleets from the main Fleet.
    EDIT: Actually, and a lot less obtrusively; Paint the hooves, claws and talons (probably not teeth, though) different colours. Like Space Marines painting shoulder rims.

To differentiate units from each other (if you're playing Tyranids right) is what speckles and carapace markings are for.

If you're looking at making a cohesively painted army, the last thing you want to do is have different bases.

I would rather paint up an entire Detachment of actual Blood Angels with the same bases as my Imperial Fists. Than run a Detachment of Imperial Fists with red-rimmed bases.
    Out of curiosity, why the harsh reaction to different colored base rims?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

Saw this.

Ever had anyone try this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.