The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default An Amy's Alone Against the Flames OOC

Greetings An Amy, and welcome to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now, one important thing to note is that this game is not Dungeons & Dragons. You are not a hero, you are not a being who is eventually able to snap your fingers and cast wish or attack nine times with a massive sword in the span of six seconds, you are an ordinary person, and just like ordinary people, you may become heavily injured (HP isn't just something that magically returns with a quick nap), suffer sanity-shattering experiences, or even die! However, someone has to make a stand against the horrors of the mythos, and the death or insanity of a single human matters little if it means postponing the eventual enslavement of humanity.

However, you may be one of the lucky ones who survive your encounters with unearthly beings, gaining knowledge of the horrors outside of our reality, power from volumes of arcane lore, and advancement in your skills as you become more experienced. You will (most likely) never reach the point of superhuman abilities akin to D&D or Pathfinder, but you can achieve something greater than the average of your kind.

Now that you understand the basic themeatic aspects of the game, prepare to journey onto your first adventure -- Alone Against the Flames! This is a horror story set in the 1920s where you are the main character. For the purposes of walking you through the story I will offer prompts and suggestions below each of my In-Character posts, but if you're feeling foolish confident feel free to forge your own path!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, set up a nice fire, and join the In-Character! Actually, on second thought, don't get too close to the fire.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-29 at 09:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames OOC

I'm here! Love the intro. 1920's, yeah very noir and I love that atmosphere. Spidernoir was my favorite among the verses and I'm looking to find out how to digest more of that concept ^_^

From a character standpoint, I'll be an investigator of the unknown! But that's kind of a class title, in a way, right? My character is just a curious girl with some adventure in her bones, either latent or self-aware. Regardless... I should prepare like 4 characters right? One dies, another character related to the first in some means, picks up where she... uh, fell short? I've been in one Cthulhu-esque like game where the GM kept all the stats and mechanics to himself and we actually all played ourselves and whatever we brought to the table. It was a d10-ish system otherwise and reminded me a lot of WoD stuff.

EDIT:
    I should be good for at least multiple post a week if not daily.
    Last edited by An Amy; 2019-08-29 at 08:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by An Amy View Post
    From a character standpoint, I'll be an investigator of the unknown! But that's kind of a class title, in a way, right? My character is just a curious girl with some adventure in her bones, either latent or self-aware. Regardless... I should prepare like 4 characters right? One dies, another character related to the first in some means, picks up where she... uh, fell short? I've been in one Cthulhu-esque like game where the GM kept all the stats and mechanics to himself and we actually all played ourselves and whatever we brought to the table. It was a d10-ish system otherwise and reminded me a lot of WoD stuff.

EDIT:
    I should be good for at least multiple post a week if not daily.
    Well, four characters is... somewhat excessive, but to be honest with you, that latter part sounds somewhat similar to what I'm going to attempt to do. For this first adventure, I'm going to handle most of the stats. You'll roll and all, but the actual mechanics of the game will almost entirely be handled by me. This will help me ease you into the game. However, for now, we'll just be making one character together in the IC!

4. - Top - End - #4

I should mention that the game I was in, I only managed to get to the table about three times before I decided not to go back. Scheduling conflicts and just the atmosphere of that game store was creepy...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I should mention that the game I was in, I only managed to get to the table about three times before I decided not to go back. Scheduling conflicts and just the atmosphere of that game store was creepy...
    Hmmm... I see, well, I will inform you that no matter what happens In-Character, beneath the thin veneer of written horror, I am a completely rational person (he says) who can be contacted like anyone else throughout the game if things are getting too weird/strange or if you're not enjoying the game.

6. - Top - End - #6

I'll try. I'm one of the worst when it comes to confrontations on PBP games for whatever reason. And in person >.< Despite being a GM for more than 20 years myself, I have a hard time confronting players. And PBP games can also get so big with like 12 people wanting in on it. The introvert loves the forum concept but doesn't like the Looking For threads with more than 1 page >.< Blessed are the solo games. Thanks again ^_^

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'll try. I'm one of the worst when it comes to confrontations on PBP games for whatever reason. And in person >.< Despite being a GM for more than 20 years myself, I have a hard time confronting players. And PBP games can also get so big with like 12 people wanting in on it. The introvert loves the forum concept but doesn't like the Looking For threads with more than 1 page >.< Blessed are the solo games. Thanks again ^_^
    Of course, and that's completely fine, I totally get it. Also, I definitely empathize with that aspect of LFG. As soon as I see like ten or more people applying, I would be like: "I'm out" and look for another game .

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, I'm sure it goes without saying, but please try not to view the other players' ICs and OOCs!

9. - Top - End - #9

*in a good southern belle accent* Why it never even crossed my mind.

10. - Top - End - #10

So a bit about the character I have in my head.

Helen is a 30-year old woman who's husband passed away two years ago, they were married for 8 years. Her husband ran a store, which she tried to keep going after he died. But people had little faith that a woman could keep the store going and she was looking at a grim future for the business and her life at the time. She had no children, no other close relatives. Instead of struggling in that, she ended working a savvy deal to an investor that was interested in purchasing the store outright and taking over for the name it had built up in the local area. She did so, but accepted a smaller payout for influence within the company that looked to push more and more manufactured goods out beyond the reach of major cities. The end result had her working the store while still having a say so over it and receiving a larger check than before, everyone knew that someone else actually owned it and didn't feel a new widow was going to run it into the ground. No competition showed up to challenge the area, and she was also out a lot of risk. The new investors had a new market to push merchandise, a facelift and a familiar name. She used a lot of this to earn her some good nestegging, and with the great war still fresh in people's minds, she was eager to move onto something else and actually get out of the town that soured quickly when her husband passed.

NOW as to why she's headed to Arkham, I'm not entirely sure. I could say that she put someone in charge of the store while she was away.

With all that, I hadn't an idea of the occupation, though I remember it now from the previous interaction. So... business woman in a time when women were not in business.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That works, and I can work with that. We'll go with "Shopkeeper" for now. Does that sound ok? If so, feel free to tell Silas as much or as little as you would like.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-29 at 01:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

what's a good reason for going to Arkham? Setting up a new shop, meeting an old friend, moving into my aunt's place? All three?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmmm... I like all three, but also maybe just getting away from your previous home. There wasn't anything really left for you, and things also began to remind you of your husband. In addition, maybe the investors are recommending branching out and creating a sort of franchise, and they're sending you as their representative?

14. - Top - End - #14

The skills that I select that are not form my profession, among what list? Or are they just to come up with?

Like... Dancing, Violin, Research, Cooking? (examples... though that's probably not too far off)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The skills that I select that are not form my profession, among what list? Or are they just to come up with?

Like... Dancing, Violin, Research, Cooking? (examples... though that's probably not too far off)
    Great... the list didn't load, my token was revoked. Give me a moment, please.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ta-Da!

Spoiler: Skills (so many)
    Show
    • Accounting (you have this one) - understanding of accountancy procedures; reveals the financial functioning of a business or a person.
    • Anthropology - identify and understand an individual's or culture's way of life through observation
    • Appraise - estimate the value of a particular item, including the quality, material used, and workmanship.
    • Archeology - allows dating and identifying artifacts from past cultures as well as detecting fakes
    • Arts/Crafts - allows the creation, making, or repair of an item which could be artistic (painting, singing, etc...) or craft-related (woodworking, cookery, etc...). Each one requires its own choice.
    • Charm (you have this one) - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Climb - climb trees, walls, and other vertical surfaces with or without ropes or climbing gear.
    • Disguise - used whenever you wish to appear to be someone other than whom you are.
    • Dodge - allows one to instinctively evade blows, thrown missiles, and so forth.
    • Drive Auto - drive a car or light truck, make ordinary maneuvers, and cope with ordinary vehicle problems.
    • Electrical Repair (you have this one) - repair or reconfigure electrical equipment, such as auto ignitions, electric motors, fuse boxes, and burglar alarms.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on.
    • Fighting - one's skill in melee combat. There are also different specializations such as Sword, Axe, Spear, or Whip, which each require their own choice.
    • Firearms - covers all manner of firearms, as well as bows and crossbows. There are different specializations including Handguns, Rifles/Shotguns, Bows, and Crossbows
    • First Aid - emergency medical care, not for diseases (see Medicine).
    • History - recall a historical detail or event, the significance of a country, city, region, or person, as pertinent.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Other Language - Knowledge (ability to understand, speak, read, and write) of a language that's not your own. Each language is its own choice.
    • Own Language - Knowledge of your own language (presumably English)
    • Law - represents the chance of knowing pertinent law, precedent, legal maneuvers, or court procedure.
    • Library Use - Find a piece of information, such as a certain book, newspaper, reference in a library, or a collection of documents (assuming there's information to be found).
    • Listen (you have this one) - interpret and understand sound, including overheard conversations, mutters behind a closed door, and whispered words in a cafe.
    • Locksmith - open car doors, hotwire autos, jimmy library windows, figure out Chinese puzzle boxes, and penetrate ordinary alarm systems.
    • Mechanical Repair (you have this one) - repair a broken machine or create a new one.
    • Medicine - diagnose and treat accidents, injuries, diseases, poisonings, etc...
    • Natural World - represents the traditional (unscientific) knowledge and personal observation of farmers, fishermen, inspired amateurs, and hobbyists.
    • Navigate - take the correct path to a destination, whether in a strange city or the wilderness.
    • Occult - recognize occult paraphernalia, words, and concepts, as well as folk traditions; can also identify grimoires of magic and occult codes.
    • Operate Heavy Machinery - required to drive and operate a train, steam engine, bulldozer, or other large-scale land machines.
    • Persuade (you have this one) - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).
    • Pilot - allows the safe operation of a boat, aircraft, or dirigible. Each one is its own skill.
    • Psychoanalysis - refers to the range of emotional therapies.
    • Psychology (you have this one) - perception, common to all humans, to form an idea of another person's motives and character, and detect if a person is lying.
    • Ride - applies to saddle horses, donkeys, and mules, granting knowledge of basic care of the riding animal, riding gear, and how to handle the steed at a gallop or on difficult terrain.
    • Science - practical and theoretical ability with a science specialty gained from some degree of formalized education and training, although a well-read amateur scientist may also be a possibility. These specializations include: Astronomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Cryptography, Geology, Pharmacy, Physics, Zoology, etc... Each one is its own skill.
    • Sleight of Hand - allows the visual covering-up, secreting, or masking of an object or objects, perhaps with debris, cloth, or other illusion-promoting materials.
    • Spot Hidden (you have this one) - find a secret door or compartment, notice a hidden intruder, see an inconspicuous clue, recognize a repainted automobile, become aware of ambushers, etc. - an important skill in the armory of an investigator.
    • Stealth - when attempting to avoid detection, moving quietly, and hiding without alerting those who might hear or see.
    • Survival - expertise required to survive in extreme conditions, such as in desert or arctic conditions, as well as on the sea or in wilderness terrain. Each environment is its own skill.
    • Swim - the ability to float and to move through water or other liquid in times of crisis or danger.
    • Throw - hit a target with an object.
    • Track - follow a person, vehicle, or animal over earth, and through plants.

17. - Top - End - #17

Arts/Crafts: Hellen plays the violin and can sing but also generally can create small little items usually considered crafts.
    Library Use: She read a lot while working as a store clerk for her husband, spending a lot of free time at a library outside of town.
    Locksmith: Her husband was bad about losing keys, so she got good at opening things without them.
    Science (Chemistry): A personal interest, a lot of the books she read were on chemicals and their rising use, especially cleaning supplies.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arts/Crafts: Hellen plays the violin and can sing but also generally can create small little items usually considered crafts.
    Library Use: She read a lot while working as a store clerk for her husband, spending a lot of free time at a library outside of town.
    Locksmith: Her husband was bad about losing keys, so she got good at opening things without them.
    Science (Chemistry): A personal interest, a lot of the books she read were on chemicals and their rising use, especially cleaning supplies.
    Oh, I should note that each Art/Craft is its own thing, so Art/Craft (Violin) would be different than Art/Craft (Singing). Sorry, I realize that's a little weird.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-30 at 10:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

We'll go with Arts: Violin then. Singing is just something she's capable of doing but not on a level that had a lot of practice. Perhaps one of the better singers at church, but no one's cutting her a deal. Not that she has a violin at the moment, but I plan on one being at her aunt's house. Now if only the inhumane terrors are susceptible to various Paganini themes...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

No! Not Vivaldi! Anything but Vivaldi!!

Anyway, sounds good. We should be good to continue now.

21. - Top - End - #21

For skills, success is getting your score or lower on the roll, right? Higher your skill, the larger the success area on a d100?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For skills, success is getting your score or lower on the roll, right? Higher your skill, the larger the success area on a d100?
    Indeed, so sadly, that 82 is most likely not going to succeed in this scenario (especially given that you're dealing with half of your skill level).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-30 at 11:59 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

By the way, Iím currently at a convention so I wonít be available to respond until tomorrow.

24. - Top - End - #24

I adjusted my post to correct my error. Yes, while the origin was "unknown" Town, the ticket does give a general location of at least the area of the start. I looked up where Arkham was supposed to be, somewhere up the coast from Boston, so I figured Mass somewhere to the west, but with the ticket and mention of Ossipee elsewhere, we'd be starting further north or perhaps even west along the coast.

I believe I mentioned somewhere about going east in a previous post, so I'll make sure that doesn't break continuity, especially since it's mostly fluff in her head at the moment.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

All good, I just figured I'd help you out in terms of continuity!

26. - Top - End - #26

Is there a map of sorts?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sure, I can show you the map.

28. - Top - End - #28

Eek! (I'll get right on it)

29. - Top - End - #29

Not abandoned, just got busy and time always disappeared on me.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not abandoned, just got busy and time always disappeared on me.
    You're all good. Sorry that I keep pestering you about this...