The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 86
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    ...cause it sure as Hell looks like that Place your bets, questimations, suggestions, comments, remarks, thoughts on this!
    Last edited by wolph42; 2019-08-29 at 02:22 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    No? Why would it be?
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    There was no panel telling us oots would return in a few months, so I doubt it. Books tend to be punctuated like that ever since war and xp.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-08-29 at 02:43 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    This wasn't the last strip of Blood runs in the family, it feels similar this time. We are probaly done with the gods right now, but there are still loose ends to tie up on the mortal plane.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Yeah, we'll probably see Durkon grabbed and placed on the Mechane, stone or human, us saying goodbye to Hilgya and Curly, the heroes saying goodbye to Durkon's family, <crosses fingers>Minrah deciding to get on the Methane to help the Order, and a small look at Team Evil, all covered in about ten pages.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Yeah, we'll probably see Durkon grabbed and placed on the Mechane, stone or human, us saying goodbye to Hilgya and Curly, the heroes saying goodbye to Durkon's family, <crosses fingers>Minrah deciding to get on the Methane to help the Order, and a small look at Team Evil, all covered in about ten pages.
    I don't really see Minrah as likely to start huffing gas. She might decide to lead a rescue expedition to get not-Thad off the infinite slope though.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I don't really see Minrah as likely to start huffing gas. She might decide to lead a rescue expedition to get not-Thad off the infinite slope though.
    Stupid autocorrect not letting me type Mechane, itís evil I tell you.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Stupid autocorrect not letting me type Mechane, itís evil I tell you.
    And hilarious. :)

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    And hilarious. :)
    Itís like Belkar and Xykon in that way.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I don't really see Minrah as likely to start huffing gas. She might decide to lead a rescue expedition to get not-Thad off the infinite slope though.
    Depends on the gas, I hear she inhales a whole lot of nitrogen on a daily basis.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Depends on the gas, I hear she inhales a whole lot of nitrogen on a daily basis.
    Oxygen too.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Oxygen too.
    That's powerful stuff, easy to get addicted to. I hear withdrawals are a killer.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    'why', well, because:
    1. Rich announced that utterly dwarved was not finished when the pre order was anounced, but foresaw the panels that were required and expected them to be ready this year in time.
    2. it 'feels' like an ending of the story arc...although there are indeed a couple of loose ends
    3. as Quebster mentioned: its roughly a similar ending as in Blood runs in the family

    however its true that it does not state that oots will be back in a in a few months...so its possible that it indeed isn't the last panel...but then again, its not required to take a break in a break... hence the speculation here...

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by wolph42 View Post
    'why', well, because:
    1. Rich announced that utterly dwarved was not finished when the pre order was anounced, but foresaw the panels that were required and expected them to be ready this year in time.
    2. it 'feels' like an ending of the story arc...although there are indeed a couple of loose ends
    3. as Quebster mentioned: its roughly a similar ending as in Blood runs in the family

    however its true that it does not state that oots will be back in a in a few months...so its possible that it indeed isn't the last panel...but then again, its not required to take a break in a break... hence the speculation here...
    ...Quebster's point was that it feels simaller to a comic some peppole THOUGHT was the end of BRITF, but was not.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    More to the point, we know how big the book will be from the pre-order data and Rich has given us a breakdown. There's about 10 pages of story left.

    I mean, it's not like we obsessively count these things (oh, wait, we do, and in multiple threads at that).

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Gender
    Male

    smile Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Note that the whole point of #936 is that it is the ending from Tarquin's perspective. And from his perspective, it's terrible, because it sidelines him. But it's not the real ending, because the real ending is the cliffhanger that Durkon is actually Greg.

    I think #1177 is not so much the final panel of Utterly Dwarved as it is the final panel with any of the Gods involved. It's Thor's ending for this story, hence him restoring the focus to where it belongs, Dur(oc)kon with his final line.
    To the guy responsible for Belkar, Haley and Vaarsuvius. Thank you for providing over 800 comedy gems.

    My Favourite Giant Posts
    Well, It Took 10 Years, But His Tolerance For Rules-Based Criticism Finally Snapped Like A Dry Breadstick
    Race Should Not Dictate Alignment

    "What's the point in defending the defensible? Where's the challenge in that?" - Nick Naylor, Thank You for Smoking

    Spot the Toxic Comic Fans! Gotta Catch 'Em All!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by deworde View Post
    I think #1177 is not so much the final panel of Utterly Dwarved as it is the final panel with any of the Gods involved. It's Thor's ending for this story, hence him restoring the focus to where it belongs, Dur(oc)kon with his final line.
    Well, we're going to need at least one comic mentioning what's happening at the Godsmoot, even if it's just "we're stuck here until the Dwarves finish their vote, which coincidentally probably won't happen until after the Snarl is dealt with anyways".

    And there's the matter of the runaway vampire cleric of Hel. Having two clerics capable of starting a church and gaining worshipers solves Hel's biggest problem, so we're likely to see a panel addressing that by having her escape.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Well, we're going to need at least one comic mentioning what's happening at the Godsmoot, even if it's just "we're stuck here until the Dwarves finish their vote, which coincidentally probably won't happen until after the Snarl is dealt with anyways".
    I don't see why, since that's already the case; Godsmoot doesn't end until Dvalin votes, Dvalin doesn't vote until the Council of Elders finishes their vote, Council of Elders can't finish their vote yet. Everything is on hold until that happens, and the Godsmoot priests have snacks.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Well, we're going to need at least one comic mentioning what's happening at the Godsmoot, even if it's just "we're stuck here until the Dwarves finish their vote, which coincidentally probably won't happen until after the Snarl is dealt with anyways".

    And there's the matter of the runaway vampire cleric of Hel. Having two clerics capable of starting a church and gaining worshipers solves Hel's biggest problem, so we're likely to see a panel addressing that by having her escape.
    Hel can still only have undead as Clerics.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Yeah, we'll probably see Durkon grabbed and placed on the Mechane, stone or human, us saying goodbye to Hilgya and Curly, the heroes saying goodbye to Durkon's family, <crosses fingers>Minrah deciding to get on the Methane to help the Order, and a small look at Team Evil, all covered in about ten pages.
    Has it not already been established that Minrah is too weak to help against Team Evil? Even if she went she'd just be staying on the ship.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Hel can still only have undead as Clerics.
    But she can have non-undead worshipers. Which she might be able to now obtain thanks to having undead clerics. And high-enough clerics could create more clerics, via necromantic spells, that won't involve them personally murdering anyone (it would require some kind of dead body, mind you, what it being necromancy, but they need not have killed it themselves).

    Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Has it not already been established that Minrah is too weak to help against Team Evil? Even if she went she'd just be staying on the ship.
    We've also established that the OotS is not about to deny her the chance to try, even if it ends up killing her again.

    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-08-29 at 12:02 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Has it not already been established that Minrah is too weak to help against Team Evil? Even if she went she'd just be staying on the ship.
    Quite frankly, so? The crew of the Mechane probably arenít much higher level, neither was the order in Book 1, she can level up to get higher and most importantly, I want her to stay in the plot, and that overrules everything. And what Grey Wolf said.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Yeah, all of this, about a dozen strips in this book to go.

    That's enough time to tie up all the loose ends from this book, and have a final big moment to tease Book 7.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Quite frankly, so? The crew of the Mechane probably arenít much higher level, neither was the order in Book 1, she can level up to get higher and most importantly, I want her to stay in the plot, and that overrules everything. And what Grey Wolf said.
    If you want her to stay in the plot, you should come with a reason she'd benefit the plot. Like how being too weak to pose a threat to Redcloak means Redcloak is less likely to treat her as a threat, how she hasn't killed any goblins (that we/Redcloak know of) means he's less likely to kill her out of spite, and she was there for all the stuff Thor told Durkon about convincing Redcloak to help with the rifts; so if Redcloak won't listen to Durkon, he might listen to Minrah.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    so if Redcloak won't listen to Durkon, he might listen to Minrah.
    He might, at that, but getting there won't be simple. A lot of dominos have to fall.


    It took 185 strips (some of them doubled) to go from Durkon revealed as Hel's High priest (last panel of book V) to defeating Durkula. (stake to the heart)

    We are now 40 strips into cleaning up afterwards since Hel's back up plan with the Exarch had to be thwarted. Now the Sigdi/Hilgya/Kudzu tension was presented. (So a few strips to resolve that seem to be pending) which I see as an analogue to the Haley and Ian thing as BRiTF began to close out
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-29 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    If you want her to stay in the plot, you should come with a reason she'd benefit the plot. Like how being too weak to pose a threat to Redcloak means Redcloak is less likely to treat her as a threat, how she hasn't killed any goblins (that we/Redcloak know of) means he's less likely to kill her out of spite, and she was there for all the stuff Thor told Durkon about convincing Redcloak to help with the rifts; so if Redcloak won't listen to Durkon, he might listen to Minrah.
    Yeah, but Iím not really trying to convince anyone, I just like her and want to see more of her. My reasoning for actually thinking this will happen is much more Doylist, sheís had a lot of page time and development (meaning we know her character, she hasnít changed all that much), but she hasnít done all that much, either in having a subplot or for the main plot, making it seem likely she has a future in the plot.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    We've also established that the OotS is not about to deny her the chance to try, even if it ends up killing her again.

    Grey Wolf
    I mean, I don't really think her establishing she doesn't want to stay dead because she wants to lead a full life and things she can still do good would be the same as her asking or wanting to accompany them for the rest of their journey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Quite frankly, so? The crew of the Mechane probably arenít much higher level, neither was the order in Book 1, she can level up to get higher and most importantly, I want her to stay in the plot, and that overrules everything. And what Grey Wolf said.
    I mean, is it actually her "staying in the plot" if she's just on the Mechane doing nothing? Or do you expect those guys to just stay relevant for the rest of the series? Because I haven't had that read on them at all.

    I also highly disagree with desires like that overruling everything else, but I'm not going to get deeper into that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Yeah, but Iím not really trying to convince anyone, I just like her and want to see more of her. My reasoning for actually thinking this will happen is much more Doylist, sheís had a lot of page time and development (meaning we know her character, she hasnít changed all that much), but she hasnít done all that much, either in having a subplot or for the main plot, making it seem likely she has a future in the plot.
    I mean, in that case I still feel like "actual reason for character to be there" is important. Wouldn't that just make it better?

    But as far as that Doylist reasoning you're using goes, I don't think that works very well for this story, either. It just seems to me that sometimes the Giant fleshes out characters because he likes fleshing out characters to make the world more real. And then people go "that means this person is sticking around/important!" and sometimes they are, but other times, not so much. He's on record as thinking that Conservation of Detail (that is, only including things because they're ultimately important to the actual narrative) is overrated.

    I say all of this, but I don't have anything against Minrah and have found her role in the story interesting so far. I just don't think it's being set up to be expanded upon. Could be wrong, obviously.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-08-29 at 02:08 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's powerful stuff, easy to get addicted to. I hear withdrawals are a killer.
    As are overdoses...

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    Quote Originally Posted by wolph42 View Post
    'why', well, because:
    1. Rich announced that utterly dwarved was not finished when the pre order was anounced, but foresaw the panels that were required and expected them to be ready this year in time.
    2. it 'feels' like an ending of the story arc...although there are indeed a couple of loose ends
    3. as Quebster mentioned: its roughly a similar ending as in Blood runs in the family

    however its true that it does not state that oots will be back in a in a few months...so its possible that it indeed isn't the last panel...but then again, its not required to take a break in a break... hence the speculation here...
    We're still missing the denouement, which, as Elan will tell you, is rather important.

    As others have said, there are still loose ends that need tidying up before the book can end.

    Many types of gases are scary.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

    I already have some quatloos on it, but I feel I must reiterate that I think this book will end with team evil finding the gate to act as a cliffhanger for the next one.

    Alternately we might get some more info on the world in the rift.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •