The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 118
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "As much as I appreciate the hospitality of you and the others here," I begin telling her, thinking this could be the only way to speak with Ruth... but even regardless of the girl, this could also be a way to get something on Silas, "I do need to be on my way. Everyone in town knows each other, and I'm the outsider. You'd have a much better chance of convincing Troy to be, well, helpful. If Silas really isn't returning soon, I need to really start exhausting other options. If the man is to return in not too long a time, I could just hold out. But my business suffers with further delays and I'm anxious about arriving in time to meet with my cousin before he leaves. There's no telling if he hasn't already..."

    For the win...(1d100)[97]
    ...fml...
    Last edited by An Amy; 2019-10-07 at 03:57 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Quote Originally Posted by An Amy View Post
    "As much as I appreciate the hospitality of you and the others here," I begin telling her, thinking this could be the only way to speak with Ruth... but even regardless of the girl, this could also be a way to get something on Silas, "I do need to be on my way. Everyone in town knows each other, and I'm the outsider. You'd have a much better chance of convincing Troy to be, well, helpful. If Silas really isn't returning soon, I need to really start exhausting other options. If the man is to return in not too long a time, I could just hold out. But my business suffers with further delays and I'm anxious about arriving in time to meet with my cousin before he leaves. There's no telling if he hasn't already..."

    For the win...[roll0]
    ...fml...
    Wow, that was intense. I'm actually going to give a Bonus Die for the awesome roleplaying! We'll count this as Persuade, and I got a 2, so that's a 27.
    ----

    Well… I suppose it will only take a few minutes.” May fetches a coat and heads out into the night. You give her time to get clear, then rap on the bedroom door. Nothing comes but silence. Then feet pad across the floor and the door opens a few inches. Ruth’s eyes stare through the gap, glancing from left to right. You explain her mother has left the house and ask what has been bothering her. Those eyes flick up to stare at you. “It’s tomorrow,” she whispers. “Same as every year. They took my da. They’ll take you, if you let them.
    The conviction in her eyes is chilling. You press her. Who is she talking about?
    All of them. Every one. They’ve been watching since you got here. You’re marked. Not even she is safe.” Her voice is hollow. “One year, when I’m older… they’ll take me.
    You hear footsteps approaching from outside. Ruth’s eyes flash and the bedroom door slams. You turn back to drying the dishes. May enters and removes her coat.
    That man is a waste of time,” she hisses, and heads through to the bedroom.
    ----

    You've succeeded on a Persuasion check. You may have the opportunity to improve this later on!
    ----

    The familiar surroundings of your guest room are becoming constrictive. The neat bed, small wardrobe, and dressing mirror have the feel of a prison cell about them. What are you still doing here in Emberhead? Your new life is elsewhere.
    You lie on the bed and stare at a small crack in the ceiling. You turn over the day’s events, thinking through the little details you spotted. You are certainly weary from the elevation and the fresh air. But do you still feel safe here?
    ----

    Do you feel safe and you'd like to let yourself fall asleep? Or are you uncertain about this whole place and you'd like to stay awake, at least for a while?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-07 at 05:03 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "Take me?" I question the girl, "take me where? What do you..."

    I'm cut off by the gasp of the girl the sudden closing of the door. I rush away from the bedroom in time to see May storming away muttering about how fruitless her quest was. I'm grateful the woman does not suspect anything... not from me being near the bedroom but from how frazzled I likely look. Take me? Tomorrow? They've all been watching me? There always was something off about the whole town. And laying in bed now I can't bring myself to sleep. I hear the sounds of wildlife... not in my room but in my head. The idea of just running again in the middle of the night. Taking anything I can, the minimum of my belongings to get by and making a run for it. Emberhead is likely too far from anything to make the trek even worth it.

    And I'm being watched...

    "Blessed be..." I murmur, panting while staring up at the cracked ceiling, truly incapable of finding rest. Uncertain of what to do...

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Just realized that "That man is a waste of time." is miscolored. My bad.
    ----

    Sleep presses down on you. You blink it back and sit up, trying to think through your situation. Everything in Emberhead seems to be working to stop you leaving. Perhaps the answer is to strike out at first light, to walk as far and as fast as you can. You can always return for your possessions, and if you lose them, you have nothing so precious that it could not be replaced.
    A tiny creak draws your attention to the other side of the room.
    Slowly, almost silently, the doorknob is turning.
    ----

    Would you like to grab it and wrench the door open? Or lie down and simply pretend to be asleep...

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I sit up slowly, and move across the room to the door almost grateful that something is happening that gets my blood flowing once more. I'm not entirely sure why I'm doing it, moving across the room to face whoever it is at my door. One hope is that it is Ruth come with further explanations. My mind has been concocting all sorts of horrible ideas. If it isn't Ruth... it's May. I can handle her. If it's someone else... well, then lying in my bed won't stop them. It's frightening to think of, but I'm tired yet suddenly wide awake.

    Taking hold of the doorknob, I gently pull the door open to face whoever... whatever is on the other side.

    Steel my nerves (1d100)[70]

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    We'll treat that as a Power roll (mental stability, fortitude, and whatnot), which you succeeded on.
    ----

    You grit your teeth and ready yourself. You're prepared to take on whatever is beyond the do- oh... May stands on the other side, wrapped in her bed jacket.
    She steps back in alarm.
    You seemed… not yourself,” she stammers. “I wanted to check up on you.
    You assure May you are in fine health and watch as she returns to her own bedroom. Once the door has closed, you borrow a kitchen chair to wedge under your door handle. Perhaps this piece of fortification will permit you a few hours of restful sleep.

    Emberhead, 8:39 AM, September 3rd, 1921

    You awaken to the sound of feet in the street outside. Your night’s rest has brought a new determination. Today, you will meet Emberhead on your own terms.
    ----

    You would restore 1 hit point if you lost any, but you're good.
    ----

    The Ledbetter kitchen is empty, although bread and eggs have been laid out for your breakfast. There is a note from May explaining that she has taken Ruth out for a few hours.

    You make a quiet circuit of the village, pausing in unobtrusive places to watch the villagers. It is rather busy for this time in the morning. Yawning locals stream back and forward along the roads, carrying bundles of split logs to the site of what you’ve heard referred to as the Beacon. You see two figures already up in its superstructure, arranging the wood. The Festival bonfire will be most impressive. But do you intend to stay to see it? You suspect by now that something is amiss here.
    While the villagers are distracted, you may do some illicit investigation. Or you may simply leave town without looking back.
    ----

    Here are some examples of illicit activities: Searching May Ledbetter's bedroom while she's out, going alone to the seemingly unoccupied Village Hall, taking a closer look at the Artisan's Courtyard (specifically that boarded-up building), or spying on activity at The Beacon. Alternatively you can just try to get the heck out of here...
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-07 at 06:05 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The town is strangely busy, and May being gone with Ruth... I hope nothing horrible has happened. What are they building in the town? I get the creepy sense that this is some sort of pyre for burning a witch or something. And am I the witch? I shudder that thought and flee back to the Ledbetter home despite the fact that it feels just as cold and uninviting regardless of the number of nights I've slept there. Though... with the two of them out, I guess this would be the best time to pack up, take some provisions and be on my way. Still, the knowledge that out there on the road, in the wilderness, I would most certainly meet my doom. Here? Well, insofar it's just been my imagination. Supported by Ruth's cryptic words, but nothing else... well, other than the feeling of some forthcoming doom and the odd behaviors of the entire town.

    I begin looking around the home, May's room, hoping not to be caught but also hoping to settle my indecisiveness. Some sign... something solid to go on. Should I run and chance with the wilds when there is most certainly a demise awaiting me here in the town? I must find... something!

    Helen searches the Ledbetter home, May's room for clues. Whatever is needed (3d100)[6][48][42](96)

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Despite her hospitality, you do not trust May Ledbetter. You return to her house quite openly. Where else would you go?
    Inside, the dwelling is still empty. You rap on the bedroom door and wait. Silence. You ease it open.
    The Ledbetter bedroom is in marked contrast to your own, neat space. Dirty clothes are piled about the floor. On a rough quilt lie schoolbooks and cheap novels. You notice a raggedy old doll discarded down the side of the bed.
    ----

    I'm using the 6 you rolled for your Spot Hidden roll.
    ----

    You notice scrapes on the floorboards corresponding to the legs of the bed. With effort, you slide the bed away. There is a rug spread beneath it, and beneath the rug, a trapdoor. You ease it open. The dark space beneath is some kind of cellar.

    Spoiler: If You Proceed...
    Show
    The daylight barely offers enough illumination to see, but a hot lantern during daytime would be very suspicious. You squeeze beneath the floor and glance around.
    Your first impression is that May keeps her junk here, for there are many boxes of different sizes piled in untidy heaps. It takes a few seconds before you realize they are all traveling trunks, or suitcases. There are about twenty of them.
    The implication hits you hard. Yet you maintain enough control to check the luggage tags. You count eight or nine different names before you stop. Scrambling back up to the bedroom, you close the trapdoor with trembling fingers, returning the bed to its place.

    Emberhead, 9:48 AM, September 3rd, 1921

    You feel a deepening unease about Emberhead and this day in particular.
    ----

    Repeating examples of illicit activities: Searching May Ledbetter's bedroom while she's out, going alone to the seemingly unoccupied Village Hall, taking a closer look at the Artisan's Courtyard (specifically that boarded-up building), or spying on activity at The Beacon. Alternatively you can just try to get the heck out of here...

    Spoiler: If You Give This Up...
    Show
    Emberhead, 9:48 AM, September 3rd, 1921

    You get out of the house, scrambling as you do. Hidden trapdoors, strange occurences... maybe it was just a cellar? Nevertheless, you feel a deepening unease about Emberhead and this day in particular.
    ----

    Repeating examples of illicit activities: Searching May Ledbetter's bedroom while she's out, going alone to the seemingly unoccupied Village Hall, taking a closer look at the Artisan's Courtyard (specifically that boarded-up building), or spying on activity at The Beacon. Alternatively you can just try to get the heck out of here...

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I emerge from the crawls space beneath May's bed with a sense of dread. I know what is going on. I can see it... there's no festival that's part of a routine, it's just what happens whenever Silas drops of an unsuspecting victim, giving them the same broken down coach story. Why? For what purpose? My mind goes to those novels that I read, but none of them are as dark or twisted. Nothing gives me any sort of insight or preparation. But I know, as assuredly as I know the sun will rise, that those people are not alive anymore. And that if I remain, I too will perish. But what to do? This place is so remote and the wilderness so impossible. Besides... if I stay on the roads I'm likely to be found again and dragged back. Oh my god... my hand rushes to my mouth as I stumble against the wall of the corridor outside the bedroom. What... what is that bonfire for? WHO is it for?

    ...me...?

    They don't know... do they? I'm being watched, but how closely. My every move? Are they just keeping tabs on me? There's more that doesn't make sense, but the sense of dread is, again, overwhelming. I look for provisions in May's house, to see if there's even enough for me to carry and survive. I don't know how long it was on the road since the last town, or how long I'd have to go without food. Kitchen knife? I imagine wolves rushing at me like rabid dogs. My hands shake... I hold them back but my breath can't be calmed. I'll leave everything. I don't care. Nothing I have with me is worth dying over. Burning over. But I must be calm. They don't know. If they did know I saw the other suitcases, I'd be stopped now. But they don't. It's still morning. The bonfire thing and festival aren't going to happen until tonight, right? I have some time.

    After squirreling away what I can find, hiding it elsewhere in the home that isn't in the room I have been given, I'll head out for a walk, just to see who is about, who might be watching me... and I'll make my way over to the artisan's area. They were busy with something yesterday. Maybe that'll hold some clues. This town has to have transport of some sort beyond Silas victim delivery service. I don't see enough farmland around. They wouldn't leave themselves entirely cut off, would they? Let's see if there's some tool that'll be useful for me. God, I wish I knew more about them to pick something practical instead of something I think might work like a bat...

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You take a look around, many of the villagers appear to be concerned with the construction of the beacon; and yet, every now and then you notice a quick glance from a laborer out towards the center of town... towards you. You look around for farmland and you do see it, but it's all the way down the cliff, and the only real way to access it would be to head out one of the two exits (unless you want to get there as a bloody pulp having fallen off a mountain).

    You look around for something, anything that might serve as a quick form of protection, and you recall that May does have a kitchen, maybe... you scramble around and pick up a large cooking knife, it won't be perfect, but it might just save your life. Holding the knife carefully so as not to arouse too much suspicion, you surreptitiously make your way over towards the artisan's courtyard. You approach around the back of the buildings in Emberhead’s northwestern corner. By this time in the morning, you would expect activity in the artisans’ courtyard, but the benches and anvils sit deserted. Your footsteps echo off the surrounding walls, finding it all but abandoned except for that same boarded-up workshop... Looking around to make sure that nobody has noticed your presence, you hurry up to it and look it over. It has been shut up and padlocked. You peek through the joints, but you can see nothing inside.
    ----

    You might be able to try and crack the padlock, or maybe break into the workshop with your strength. Or do you want to simply head off so as to not attract too much attention.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Didn't I get the hunting knife? I just remembered. That
    Also effort to notice further details about the boarded up shop: (1d100)[58]


    ~~~

    Okay... Helen, don't act so paranoid... I try and calm myself as I move about to the artisan's area. I specifically try and appear disappointed to see no one there. And then genuinely curious if the artisans are just in workshops or the like while muttering very quietly to myself about how curious it is no one is around and if they're just 'indoors' and whatever that means. I peep through the boards but can't see anything in that locked up space, but wonder if the place has even been entered. Does that padlock ever come undone? Or does it look like Francine's pantry she goes on and on about saying how fully stocked it always is only to find out it's been fully stocked since the American Revolution. Are there any loose boards... what do loose boards even look like? Well, I know I can spot dust on and around a jar of Pomade and tell when the last time that item had been picked up. But outside, I'm not sure the same clues are available.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You do possess the hunting knife, which could be utilized in either endeavor.
    ----

    You look closer at the padlock. It is old and not particularly secure. You're unsure about when it comes undone (given that you sadly failed that Spot Hidden roll). There are plenty of metal shavings around that could work as improvised picks along with your knife. Meanwhile the boards themselves are well constructed, but the wood has been weakened by years of sun and rain. You may be able to break it open with one fierce charge. You had better make it good, though. You can’t afford to attract attention with repeated tries.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I'm not keen on giving up about this place. It's locked up for a reason and not to keep people from stealing things. Such a small town... they only have secrets to keep me from seeing them. Whatever is in here must be... important enough to keep me from getting access to. I'm going to try this lock, move it a little, see if I can find something to open it... suddenly thanking my husband for all the times he lost keys and forced me to get creative. So, it's time to get creative again.


    ~~~~~

    Find improvised lock picks: (1d100)[77]
    Open lock? (1d100)[33]
    Coast is clear...? (1d100)[3]

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    For this time (and this time only) your Locksmith skill is doubled, which means the 33 is a Success (because the lock is old and not particularly secure).
    ----

    You manage to scrounge around for some picks. Using your knife and then in tandem, the lock clicks open, falling to the floor. You don't notice anyone around you so you push aside the door and step inside the workshop. The air is cool against your face, and you see light glinting through the eaves. The center of the room features a raised slab with a slight slope. An indentation beneath it suggests something sits there. A basin perhaps? Prone shapes are racked against the far wall, covered with red cloth. They look… human…
    ----

    Would you like to investigate further, or have you seen enough?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-21 at 06:34 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I'm... afraid of proceeding further. But this town still holds some illusion of hope that it's not a crazy murderous place and that only May is perhaps... well, I can't fathom right now why she has so many suitcases. All I know is that they do exist. That people have come here before time and again and that they never leave. Ruth says that they would take her too but she's too young. They'll come for me next, and it seems that this festival is fast approaching. But this... somehow... I don't know what it is. Was the lock meant to keep me out... or keep something in.

    Slowly, I proceed more into the room, making sure the door shuts but that I hold the lock in my hand. The last thing i want is for something to come around and seal me inside.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You approach the red-shrouded figures, expecting them at any moment to leap up and grab at you. Gripping the lock in your hands you see there are three. Each has a label hanging from its toes:

    Benjamin Cramer, 1/19/1921
    Abraham Hollingsworth, 4/22/1921
    Marian Phipps, 8/6/1921


    You lift one corner of the shroud. Underneath, wrapped in tight bandages, is a thin but unmistakably human form. You are looking at three dead bodies. Embalmed dead bodies.
    ----

    Please give me a Sanity roll as you see this sudden horrifying sight.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 09:26 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Dead... dead people. Of course, what did I expect to find under cloths that looked human. Dead! Oh, this was meant to be hidden from me. All hope of some misunderstanding is shattered and I have to apply all my willpower to keep from screaming...

    ~~~

    Sanity! (1d100)[100]

    Edit: bahahaha... waahhh...
    Last edited by An Amy; 2019-10-23 at 10:07 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Whatever force of willpower you had within you is gone as the full crashing realization of your situation comes to you.
    You scream as you clutch your sides, backing away from the bodies in fright.
    ----

    You have Fumbled your Sanity roll, which means you lose the maximum amount of Sanity possible. Luckily it was only 2, but still...
    ----

    A voice cuts through your screams. “So! I thought you looked like a snoop. Like what you found, did you?
    A burly villager fills the doorway, blocking out much of the daylight. You can make out a dark apron, and a thick beard. He steps forward, fist raised.
    ----

    Are you going to go easily, or put up a fight, clutching your knife as you do?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 04:20 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Realization as to what is going to happen to me, what the plans are for me... these people... they're crazy! They've killed them! They'll kill me too... I scream as the horror hits me so solidly. But the voice behind me causes me to stumble back against the far wall... a large man. A butcher. Come to cut me up and feed me to the townsfolk as part of their festival. I shriek again but cannot manage to open my clenched jaw as well as my hands which grip the single knife I hold forward. I'm shaking so badly I fear I'm going to fall over. What is going on? Why?

    "Stay away from me!" I cry out with words that too stumble over themselves. This... this can't be. No!

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You brandish the knife. "The hard way then." The man's fists come out of the darkness like hammers.
    ----

    We are going to be entering Combat at this point. Please read the OOC for more information. You have a higher Dexterity than the artisan does, so you shall be going first. Please give me your initial strike, your defensive action, and the accompanying rolls.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 04:59 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I- I-... I don't know what to do. I'm so scared... Is he going to actually attack me?

    ~~~

    Attack action: none
    Defense action: dodge (1d100)[79]



    Edit:
    Last edited by An Amy; 2019-10-24 at 08:12 AM. Reason: :eek:

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    A moment of confusion falls on the artisan's face, is she seriously not going to strike at me? Then recognition falls upon his features. "Hah! You don' have a clue how to use that then, do ya' snoop? Makes it easier to get ya'..." Thus his meaty hands come barreling forth. He begins to press further into the room, trying to corner you.
    ----

    Luckily I rolled a 57, so that means I miss as well. Back to your turn.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 08:45 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    How to use a knife? I know how to use one in the kitchen... but pot roasts aren't trying to come after me with open hands and they most certainly aren't bearded denizens of some wacko village that murders its visitors and offers their bodies up as some sort of insane sacrifice! That's a pretty big difference in how to properly apply a blade! I manage to get out of the way of his hands once, but I feel lucky, definitely lucky. I didn't want to hit him... to kill... but there's a sinking survival instinct telling me that it's going to be his death or my death. I'd rather it not be mine!

    Still, I don't know what I'm doing. How to even... use this to hurt him other than stab.

    ~~~~~

    Attack action: None
    Defense action: Fight back (1d100)[29] (1d4)[2]

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    He stares at you as you continue to fight defensively, malice clouding his eyes. "C'mon ya' wimp!" Once more he presses forward. At this point he's almost fully down the stairwell, and malice is clearly in his eyes. However, your knife work, although unskilled seems to be able to protect your small frame quite aptly.
    ----

    Sadly the 29 is a failure, but luckily dice are not on my side and I rolled an 87.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-24 at 08:55 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I keep up whatever seems to be working, trying my best to use this blade gripped tightly in my hands to deter him further. Perhaps he'll give up and run off. But to what? To get help? To alert the whole village that she knows?

    ...I can't let that happen... But...

    "Stay away from met! Get back!" I try with threatening words, though my trembling voice surely doesn't add any weight to them.

    ~~~

    Attack action: non
    Defense action: fight back! (1d100)[3] (1d4)[1]

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The artisan is at this point getting rather upset. Thus, he rushes at you, trying to pin you against the table with the bodies. However, as he does you flail the knife, eyes closed from fright. When you open them though, he’s standing staring at his hands, which hold blood stemming from a cut in his side. “You cut me... ya’ actually cut me!” This only serves to make him even more mad though. However, you notice something... he’s moved away from the staircase so you might be able to escape...
    ——

    I rolled a 12 which would normally be a hard success, but your 3 is an extreme success which beats mine. However, this next turn you may attempt a Dodge roll to try and escape the artisan’s clutches.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I don't know how I did that, but the man is coming for me once more. But my actions have only served to anger him further... and now where he might have been careless in approaching me, he's less likely to do so. I... I don't know what to do still. He's moved away from the stairs and I want to flee. I just don't know how. I really can't make my legs move fast and I'm barely able to keep the distance between us the same...

    ~~~~

    Attack action: none
    Defense action: fight back (1d100)[11] (1d4)[1]

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    This time your eyes are open. Are you becoming accustomed to this horrid procedure? You subconsciously shudder at the thought. The man's fists come once more, but his large strides and heavy fists are surprisingly easy to predict... almost like falling objects in the shop, you think to yourself. This time, when he strikes your blade comes up again, there's no force behind the attack, but there's a strange finesse there that you're not really used to. Blood once more comes spurting out as the artisan begins breathing heavily, deciding to give no comment and focus more on catching the wiry woman. However you can't help but wonder if one more good strike with the knife might be able to at least slow him down a bit, then again... his fists are quite large compared to your body.
    ----

    I rolled a 73, this guy is having really bad luck apparently. Anyway, you're up again, the way out is still open, or you can continue to fight him.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    A few cold facts enter my mind as I consider the man still in front of me. One, he will try to kill me or hurt me or do something that will lead to my death. Two, if I run, which now sees like an option, he will alert the others. The whole town will be upon me. Three, I've never killed a human being before in my life... but I feel I'm backed into a corner. Almost literally. There may be a way out of this room, but there seems little way out of this town.

    Four, this man has to die.

    It's a horrifying feeling and I'm almost feeling... drunk or dizzy thinking about it. Dead bodies. Some dark satanic cult sacrifice being setup right now. A history of so many people being left here and catered to by May and the others...

    I must take my chances. I have no choice.

    ~~

    Attack action: Attack! (1d100)[45] (1d4)[4]
    Defense action: fight back! (1d100)[13] (1d4)[2]

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The man, seeing your slash laughs out loud. "So you got some fight in you after all, wimp!" And right as you think the slash will find its mark, the artisan's fist comes barreling through instead. Knocking your arm aside brutally.
    ----

    Your 45 was sadly a miss, whereas I rolled a 32 for my Fight Back which is a hit dealing 2 points of damage (really unlucky on the damage roll [or very lucky for you depending on your perspective]).
    ----

    However, right as he winds up for the second attack, he winds up a bit too much and you use the opportunity to cut into him again!
    ----

    Now this time I rolled an 81, whereas your 13 is a hit.
    ----

    He yells out in pain, this strike being more severe than the previous two. "I'll..." He trails off, apparently he figures that it would be better to simply concentrate on actually fighting you. Nevertheless, this guy is looking seriously wounded. One more good strike could knock him out or even kill him...
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-29 at 11:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •