New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Books, Demons, and a whole lot of coffee.

Officer Friendly: Look, look there it is!
    Animal Control 1: That's a really cool hologram, where is it projecting from.
    Animal Control 2: Maybe from the wall here somewhere...hey!

Jeb took Holly by the hand, than realized they had to climb a ten foot wall to get onto the bridge. He boosted her up while the officers were distracted. Their timing could have been better.

He quickly tried to toss all his firearms into the tall grass, While holding Holly up, but was easily spotted.

Moments later they were in the back of officer Friendly's car.

2. - Top - End - #62

Having been arrested once before (oh those crazy college days!) Holly wasn't too upset about being in the back of the cruiser. Still, it wasn't pleasant and she didn't want to have to answer too many questions about what they'd been up too.
    "So we'll play it up that we're just a couple of adventure seekers out for a bit of a thrill?" She asked Jeb before Officer Friendly joined them. "It's probably our best bet. We'll be polite and sorry and he probably won't even take us into town."
    Hi. I\'ll be your DM today. ^__^

3. - Top - End - #63

Jeb eyed his guns and dead bird on the hood of the cruiser and sneezed.

"We'll say you had no idea I was going to be armed. When you found out you insisted on leaving and I didn't challenge you in any way. I have an open carry permit, but those pieces are black market and I've been caught tresspassing while armed before... by Friendly no less. We're probably going downtown."

Meanwhile, outside, Officer Friendly was speaking to animal control as he closed the gate.

"I've got to run these two down to the station. I'll let you know if I see any other wolves."

The first animal control officer replied with frustration in his voice "There was no... okay, yes, just let us know." before climbing into his van.

The second one held back a moment and shot the two in the back seat a knowing look. Than he went to the police officer and said something too low for Jeb or Holly to hear. They, however, could see the hand gestures he was making behind his back. Jeb didn't know what those movements specifically were, but knew a spell when he saw one.

Jeb braced himself for things to get supernatural and bad quickly. Fireballs? Force lightning? Summoning something? than the officer opened the door.

"You two want to tell me what in tarnation you were doing here sneaking around on an active investigation site?"

4. - Top - End - #64

Holly saw the second animal patrol officer perform some kind of spell on the officer but there wasn’t much she could do from the back of the car but give Jeb’s hand a quick squeeze of reassurance as the door opened. A suggestion spell wasn’t likely to blow up the cruiser, but what had been suggested? When Officer Friendly opened the door and leaned in, she gave him a nervous smile.
    “It was my idea; I’m writing a thriller based on the—investigation that’s going on here. Jeb offered to keep me company, though I didn’t realize he was going to be bringing *that*.” She gestured to the rifle on the hood. “Though with that big wolf hanging around, maybe that’s a good thing. In any case, we shouldn’t have trespassed.”

5. - Top - End - #65

Officer friendly's eyes looked glassy as listened, than he asked Jeb "Why did you bring those guns?"

Jeb said "Self defense... you never know, right?"

Officer Friendly replied "I ran your priors, you have a history of being armed where you don't belong."

He turned back to Holly "Do you believe he meant any harm to you or the ol' cabin there?"

6. - Top - End - #66

“Oh no, definitely not.” She said sincerely; she trusted Jeb with her life, and had done so on multiple occasions. As for the cabin? The cabin itself was safe from this pair! What was hidden beneath, however, was a different story. “A friend of ours told us there was a wolf sighted in the area so he was just being careful. You never know, right?”

7. - Top - End - #67

"Okay" Officer Friendly replied "Since you didn't get too far, I'm going to let you two go with a warning. Don't let me see you around here again. This is an active crime scene, and I'd sure hate to see it get goofed up by a couple of lookie-loos."

To Jeb specifically he added "You're going to have to come down to the station for the firearms. Do you mind telling me why you have a half-frozen dead bird here?"

"Jeb sniffled and wished he had a tissue to blow his nose with. "I found it near my place and froze it, I thought it might be handy if there were guard dogs."

Officer Friendly gave Jeb a long, glassy stare than got up and let them out of the car. He gave them back all their non-weapons and made sure they had transport.

As the pair walked away the animal control van was just pulling away. The spell casting officer met eyes with them and hooked his thumb back, indicating that they should move quickly.

8. - Top - End - #68

Jeb and Holly obliged, hoofing it back to the Jeep as quickly as they could without looking odd. Inside the vehicle Holly adjusted the seat and mirrors for her much shorter stature then started it up while Jeb wrapped himself up in an emergency blanket from the back. She cranked the heat and executed a neat 3 point turn and started taking them back to town, all the while thinking furiously.

After a few minutes she flipped on the dash camera. "How're you doing?" She asked Jeb as her stomach rumbled. "I didn't ask you..."she muttered under her breath. "Who was that guy? Why was he helping us?" The relevant questions out in the open she took a full of cold coffee left over in her mug.

9. - Top - End - #69

Jeb shivered in the blanket, wishing he had a warm drink, thawing bird in a plastic baggie next to him.
    "We need to go to the watering hole. Jerry might have an opinion about the bird. Maybe we can save some feathers for someone to work mojo on and give us more answers."

He stopped to sneeze and blow his nose into a drive-through napkin.

"Also, Ben might be able to shed light on whoever the animal control guy was. He was doing something when he was talking to Friendly. He Knows things, I don't know him."

10. - Top - End - #70

Holly agreed they needed to see Ben and Jerry asap and drove to the Watering Hole without delay. By the time they arrived the lunch "rush" was over but it was still too early for the dinner "crowd", so when the Jeep pulled in they had their pick of parking spots and Inside, tables too.

11. - Top - End - #71

Jeb opted to stay in the car.

"I'll take a steal sandwich (with extra everything) a side of onion rings,and a whole mess of coffee. Oh, and let Ben know I'm working on something to help make up for Eveline".

He plucked a few feathers from the bird and emptied the baggie into the bushes off the far end of the parking lot.

he muttered "May your tragedy help save others from the same fate." than went back to the car and stretched out in the back seat, content to lay still in his blanket for a bit and sniffle into his napkins.

12. - Top - End - #72

Jerry came padding around the end of the counter as Holly entered and sat down at table near the window. He sat regally next to her and she obligingly petted his soft head. A moment later Ben came in from the kitchen carrying two fresh pies and laid them on the counter. Almost from reflex she picked up the coffee pot and started walking over before realizing who exactly had come in.
    “Holly! You look rough, girl. What happened at the cabin?” Ben poured Holly a steaming cup and sat down across from her, concern in her gaze. Holly took a moment to add cream and sugar to the cup and had a comforting sip before telling Ben the whole story.
    “Do you know who the animal control officer is? I think he really helped us out with the officer, but I don’t know why.” By now her cup was empty.

13. - Top - End - #73

A stiff breeze had developed on this sunny New England September afternoon, Jeb was completely unaware of this as he dozed in the back of his jeep, an arms reach from any number of charms, fetishes, and mortal weapons. He dreamed about thirteen figures in red robes holding daggers and surrounding him as he lay face down, strapped to a table and naked. It was exactly like the cult that tried to sacrifice him some time back, except this time when the steel bit his flesh it felt cold.
    In his dream, he closed his eyes and pulled hard against the ropes at his ankles and wrists, and he felt them give. He sat up on the sacrificial table ready to fight for his life, but found that the scene had changed. He boxed in by giant picture frames of eagles and hawks. The cube was shifting as if floating in water, and he could hear the creek. Than white frozen gravel rained from no where and filled the space suffocating him while he was helpless to escape.
    In the waking world he wiped his nose with another fast food napkin and went back to sleep. These kinds of dreams were common.

~~--~''~--~~

Meanwhile, Emperor Jerrylock Flabergast The Fifteenth, (Thing Chaser And Defender Of The Spaces Wild, Domestic, And All Else, Champion Of The Battle Of Frost Creek And Keeper Of Secret Wisdom May His Scent Linger For Eons As Yet To Unfold ) Started to lean into his “big puppy eyes” routine when he caught the scent of Frost creek, that cabin...something unnatural, and...oh no.
    He quickly went through the kitchen to the back door. He pushed it open with his nose with the notion of visiting the creek to investigate, when a new scent caught his attention. It was like the troubling smell he picked up inside but closer. Now he was running. He sped by the jeep that Jeb was coughing inside and made way to the bushes at the far end of the parking lot. There, he found it.
    Harlvatore was a loyal subject. He never did anything of note, he was just another starling (Jerrylock knew all his subjects by name and scent). He smelled the demon's power, but no fear. Whatever happened, happened fast. He had Starling agents and spies, but Harlvatore wasn't one of them. This wasn't for food or survival. This was a needless death. This needed to be addressed. He had to know more. He made his way back inside and impatiently waited for Holly to finish talking to his human and Speak with him so he could learn more.

~~--~''~--~~

Ben looked confused.

"Sorry, hun, that could have been anyone. Maybe you just got lucky and happened into someone in the Know. There are folk that pass through from time to time, but if he was in uniform maybe he was working a case. I'll keep my ears open.

One thing I'm wondering about though. I thought Jayne Snickerson-Fuller didn't have any children. It seems to me like they would have mentioned any kids in the news...”

She was cut off by the roar of motorcycles as a six-pack of bikers pulled into the parking lot.

“I wish I could chat more, but I've got to get back to it. Did you want to order something, or is it just Coffee again?”
    Last edited by Ratigator; 2019-09-25 at 01:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

“Can we get a hot lunch to go please? Maybe some fries and a burger each? Extra pickles on mine.” Holly replied absently, gazing out the window where the wind was tugging at the tops of the trees. “Oh! One more thing; Jeb says he’s working on something to repay you for losing the big E. That’s why he’s hiding in the car.” She gave a rueful smile then started petting Jerry as he came back in.

Sensing the big dog’s agitation she closed her eyes and Spoke with the Emperor.
    “What’s the matter, great heart? Timmy fall in the well?” Realizing this joke would probably go over the dog’s head, she changed tactics as the bikers all trooped in, calling cheerful greetings to Ben and noisily settling into a large booth at the back.
    “Have any of your people seen the thing that hunts at Frost Creek and can tell us more about when it does so?”

15. - Top - End - #75

Ben's look was skeptical. “Damn fool better have something pretty damn good. Evoline was perfect for keeping 'critters' off my property. Now that word has gotten out that she's gone, they've been coming around damn near every night. I've taken to chasing the damn things with a shovel.”
    She wrote the order on a slip of paper and turned on her heel, in a practiced motion, she passed it on to the chef through the half-wall and scooped up the coffee pot, on her way to take the biker's orders.
    ~~==-==~~
    The dog's tone was grim. “Starlings travel in great flocks, whatever befell Harlvatore likely happened to others. Was it many? Was it the cold darkness from the cabin? Those walls prevent all but the fliers and diggers from getting to the cabin, and all that enter never leave. This isn't the first time a subject has fallen to it, but this wasn't survival. It's not the only dark spot in my empire, but I want it gone.
    It feeds roughly once a season, but not precisely. The previous Emperor, may the weak fool rest in peace, told me that this thing predates him, and the Emperor before that. I don't know when it started, just that it predates us all. There were many things that walked these woods once that haven't been seen in ages. Perhaps it's one of those. Still others appear and disappear all the time, so it may be something that none but your kind have seen.
    It's never been so angry before. Yes, furious, but this is a new level. Its rage has been growing since the old woman stopped showing up, but it did subside temporarily when the other human tracked her mate's blood in my woods. It's dangerous whatever it is, but like a paw in a trap, it must be removed.

16. - Top - End - #76

“Thank you, sir for the information. Jeb and I will do everything in our power to make it so this darkness is purged from the woods as quickly as possible.” Holly hesitated, unsure whether or not to share the details of the starling’s death with him, then decided it wouldn’t hurt. “I’m saddened to tell you that an entire flock of starlings was killed by the cabin today while we were there. Their lives wont be taken in vain.”

When Ben returned with the food a few minutes later, Holly gave Jerry one last pet and paid, then left. Seeing Jeb asleep (or pretty close to it) in the back seat, she cautiously knocked once, then three times, on the door of the van so he would know it was her. She’d only woken him up out of a sound sleep once and never wanted to repeat that unpleasant experience. It had taken a week for the bruises to fade.

17. - Top - End - #77

He was trying hard to dig through the gravel with fingers ruined by the effort. the nails were a distant memory, and he was pretty sure he was down to the bones in his finger tips. I couldn't see because of all the gravel in his eyes, nor could he breath for all the gravel in his nose and mouth. White hot ice was driven into his shoulder blades and he was pretty sure it was chaining him to the spot. He heard the cultists clearly chanting thier mantra over and over.
    "Conflandum in ore tuo, non manum tuam."
    Jeb had learned Latin since than and seriously doubted any of the cultists had done the same. The only thing worse than being sacrificed in a ritual to summon a demon lord, is to have it done by lazy, incompetent cultists.

Suddenly he was pulled to the surface of his dream by a bang.
    "we're under attack" is all his brain told him and in an instant he was crouched in the back of his jeep with a dagger (with a raw amethyst crystal pommel) in his hand. Than there were three more knocks and he woke up.

He reached for a napkin, and mentally wished he had a handkerchief, as Holly got into the car. The smell of coffee was like a choir of angels. He got out and went to the driver's seat, putting the dagger in a special sheath on the door.

"Did we learn anything new?"

18. - Top - End - #78

"I'm not sure." Holly sat in the passenger seat and munched a few fries out of the bag. "We definitely need to track down this elusive daughter and have a chat with her though. She's a missing piece in this puzzle."
    The food helped to throw off the chill she was feeling since opening the books at the cabin, and thinking of them she opened her phone and the pictures she had taken. Turning to the family tree, she looked for the daughter's name and birth date but was surprised to see it wasn't listed.
    "Wait a minute..." Closing the file she opened a web browser and started digging while and absent mindedly devouring her burger and fries. She didn't notice if the car was moving yet or not.
    Last edited by RowanOakleaf; 2019-10-06 at 07:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

"Jeb sat and ate his burger for a few moments while Holly reviewed her pictures. He sniffled than savored his coffee. If the net is not forthcoming, Jayne would know where she is, right?"

He pulled out of the parking lot and took the road back to town.

"In any case, I need a hot shower, a change of cloths, a ladder, and some heat-based weaponry. I also think next time we go into that cabin, we should be wearing full winter gear."

20. - Top - End - #80

"One would hope." Smashing her trash into a little ball she stuffed it all into the paper bag it had come in, and tossed it into the back seat. "If Snickerson doesn't know where she is, she'll be hard to find. She's not listed in the book anywhere; maybe Jayne was trying to protect her?" Holly trailed off, trying to imagine how it felt to discover that particular family secret. "We'll have to go and visit tomorrow. The prison has visiting hours from eleven to four. We can go home, rest and regroup and meet up for a little chat. How are you feeling now, any better?"

21. - Top - End - #81

Jeb was not.

At precisely 6:07 am his eyes shot open to the sudden loud explosion of John Lennon screaming at him.

"When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
    Till I get to the bottom and I see you again
    Do, don't you want me to love you

I'm coming down fast but I'm miles above you
    Tell me, tell me, tell me, come on tell me the answer
    Well, you may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

Helter skelter, helter skelter
    Helter skelter...
    "

He scrambled for the remote control by his bed and clicked off his sound system. He sat up and immediately felt as though his sinuses were full of glue. He absently scratched at his wrist where a rash was forming and than reached over and clicked on the coffee maker on his bedside table. He allowed himself to stare into space as it brewed.
    Toasters flew across his desktop screen where he recorded his vlog the night before. Opposite that was a massive cork board holding dozens of articles and notes about potential cases and supernatural weirdness. He only had string connecting a few of them...honest. The small room also contained two closets one was conventional, the other being full of an arsenal of guns, swords, daggers, and clubs. Some mundane, and some enhanced with mystical script, crystals, and other workings.
    He poured a cap full of flu medicine into his favorite mug (black with a ghost busters logo) and poured his coffee. He got out of bed and slipped on his deep red bathrobe, socks and combat boots. Than sipped his 'medicine' as he left his bedroom, walked down a short hallway, than out of his mobile home's back door into his yard. the grass was mowed-ish and yellowing as the weather was cooling for another winter. He walked the perimeter of his yard checking on his garden.
    It was a three foot thick "barrier" of garlic aconitum, sage, dill, rue oregano, rosemary, & thyme. All in various stages of shutting down for the season. On top of that he had amethyst crystals hidden inside of plaster gargoyles every five feet or so. It wasn't a fool proof defense, but it covered the basics. He reflected on how it wouldn't be nearly enough if he actually lived in the Spirewood rather than a short drive from it. He completed the circuit and found nothing amiss. He went back in through his back door.
    He got dressed. Cargo pants, thermal socks, grey hoodie, black duster. He also packed a change of cloths and some towels in a backpack.
    He armed himself with two pistols, his least favorite 12-gauge shotgun, and a box of incendiary rounds. Concealing the weapons on his person, he packed the rest in his jeep than he ran. His trailer was semi-secluded, but it was still part of a mobile home park the main street of which was a loop about a quarter mile all the way around. He ran that four times before re-entering his house.
    Breakfast was four fried eggs, two waffles and another cup of coffee. Than he added to the growing pile of laundry by his bathroom door and took a shower, catching his reflection in the mirror and looking at his back scars for a moment. His shower had two heads. the first he used for a fairly standard shower routine, the second was hooked to a tank of holy water which he used for a quick rinse afterward. He wasn't sure if it made a difference.
    He got dressed again and fed Lord Satan, his grey tabby cat. The cat was a rescue from a group of bored, rich, angry teenagers who thought they were raising "the devil" but were really just wasting Jeb and Holy's time. He kept the cat, and named her ironically.
    He whispered a few words in a few languages requesting protection and luck than stepped over his salt-filled threshold and out the front door. He climbed into his jeep and spent an hour checking a few local spots where he had set up camera traps for the goat-man (no luck) than went to the bread shed (a local drive-thrugh bakery) to pick up a half dozen assorted muffins, two big cups of coffee and messaged Holy.

"I'll be there soon, and breakfast is making my jeep smell like pumpkin."

22. - Top - End - #82

Holly had been awake for nearly an hour by the time she received Jeb's message, having eaten breakfast, showered and was checking on her animals again. As it was a bit cooler she opted for a long navy blue sweater dress and warm black leggings, and braided her hair to fit under a slouchy hat. On her wrists she had fastened two different sets of charms bracelets, each for a different type of energy, and around her neck hung a thick chunk of highly polished hematite. The stone would help keep her grounded, doubled as a weapon in a pinch, and hopefully absorb or deflect negative energy sent her way. Her bat and other usual tools and devices were in her backpack, waiting by the door.

As Jeb pulled into her driveway for the second day in a row she finished up her own walk of her wards and locked the door. With a grateful smile she pulled open the door, hopped into the Jeep, and took the offered mug. "A pumpkin spice latte?!" She sniffed and drank. "Call me a basic bitch but I LOVE these!"

23. - Top - End - #83

"I guess that makes us both basic bitches."

He pulled out of the driveway and began heading towards Spireview.

"Here's the plan. Since visiting hours aren't for a few hours yet, I can pick up some professional looking cloths"

(His last good suit was stained beyond hope by ectoplasm in that funeral home situation last month)

"Than we can meet up with Vinnie and his buddy the guard. I'm gonna give all my winnings from the poker game last week back to him and in exchange he's going to let us in. We're going to need a good cover because this is a high profile case and no one but us and maybe Jayne walk on the spooky side of the street. Vinnie's buddy thinks we just want an autograph, and will go with whatever cover story we say."

He took a long pull from his coffee

"That's when the spotlight is on you. We won't have long to talk to her. Do you know what all you want to ask her? Also, I'm not sure what the best cover story would be. Do you have any ideas?"

24. - Top - End - #84

"I'm going to stick with the I'm writing a book angle, if that's ok with you. You can be my consulting wizard or something like that. If we say we believe her about the demon when noone else has, I think she'll open up to us. I just hope she's not too damaged..." Holly trailed off as they drove into Spireview.
    Seeing the things they'd seen, it changed you, and she hadn't experienced a grisly maiming. Holly had banished ghosts, fed fairies and even made some minor bargains, fought gremlins and goblins, but this demon was a whole new ballgame.

25. - Top - End - #85

They went into town and tried a few shops until they found one that fit Jeb uncomfortably well. Knowing the restrictions of what can be brought into the prison, he strapped a small stone and wood ceremonial dagger just above his right ankle a bic pen and pocket-sized wireless notebook on his left. They also hit an ATM so Jeb could pick up the bribe.
    At 10:45 they entered the nearly empty dimly lit restaurant two doors down from the women's penitentiary. They easily recognized Vinnie. He was the sort of guy who failed to blend in a crowd. Heavyset guy in his early 70's who looks like he's got plenty of years left. Wearing a red silk button down shirt with the top few buttons undone and gold chains around his neck. His under bite somehow accented by the brown fedora with a red feather he always wore. This coordinated well with his brown leisure suit he wore completely un-ironically. He confidently ate his meatloaf with the air of someone who blackmails billionaires.
    He was sitting at the same table as a fidgety slender man in his mid thirties who's eyes and teeth seem too big for his face. He was wearing a prison guard's uniform. Long spidery fingers wrapped around a meatball sub, trying very hard not to get any sauce on his uniform. His name tag said “J. Lemon”.
    Vinnie saw them approach said “Knack!”
    Lemon jumped, but quickly regained his composure.
    Vinnie continued “Good of you to join us, though I hardly recognized you wrapped in a suit.”
    Jeb said “Don't get used to it, I just need to look lawyer enough to get in so Miss Black here can 'research her book'.”
    He than overtly looked around and handed an obvious white envelope labeled 'Money for drugs' in sharpie over to Lemon.
    Lemon, in turn, took it, read it, and quickly hid it under a napkin while his eyes bugged out of his head.
    “Don't you know this could get me fired!” he shouted as quietly as possible. A passing waiter glanced over, didn't care, than went back to looking busy.
    “No one sees us” Jeb said “Besides, You're getting all my hard earned winnings. That look on your face made all this worth while.”
    Lemon laughed nervously “Fine, but none of that in the prison. I'll go in, give me twenty minutes than you too come in. We're going to say that you two are private investigators that Snickerson's lawyer hired. There's been about a dozen so far, so probably no one will think twice about it.”
    He paused for a moment and added. “I've never seen her hurt a fly, but she's obviously disturbed. Her status is officially 'Violently irrational'. I can only buy you a few minuets without a guard present. Whatever you ask her, do it quick.”
    He paused again and added “Don't get me fired.”

26. - Top - End - #86

Private investigators?! I need a license for that.

“Thanks for all your help, gentlemen.” She smiled at Vince and Lemon. “I’ll do my best not to get you fired.”

Holly had never been to a prison before, and as they drove into the parking lot a few minutes later and approached the visitor’s gate, she suppressed a shudder. It felt so dead inside; there were no trees, no grass, not even any birds perching on the walls or fence (though to be fair, the fence was topped with barbed wire so not even a bird would dare sit on it). They were scanned and searched on their way through, the guard confiscating her heavy stone necklace but nothing else. When they named who they were visiting the guard looked surprised for a moment then simply wrote it on her board and waved them into a small, private room that contained three chairs, a table with an iron ring set in it, and a mirror on one wall.

Taking a look around, Holly spotted the camera in the corner easily enough, and the small microphone attached below the lens. Their visit would be recorded thoroughly, probably to save the jail from a lawsuit if Snickerson attacked them or something. As they waited for her to arrive, Holly and Jeb sat down side by side in the waiting chairs facing another door where Snickerson would appear. She leaned over so the microphone wouldn’t hear her and pretended to tie her shoe so her face was averted from the camera.
    “I think I can make at least the microphone at short out. Electronics don’t like magic.”

27. - Top - End - #87

“That might be for the best, as long as it's not too obvious.”

That's when the door to the interview room opened and Lemon entered.
    “Remember, I can only give you a few minutes alone with her. No one is watching from the other side of the mirror” He said, gesturing towards the two-way mirror covering the wall to Jeb and Holy's left “But me and another guy are gonna be stationed right outside of the door. Shout if you need help... oh, and no physical contact with the prisoner.”

He hesitated than opened the door, allowing Jayne Snickerson-Fuller to enter the room, a much larger guard stood behind her. Lemon handcuffed her to a ring on the table and left, standing just outside the door with the big guard. He said something inaudible as the door shut and they could hear the big guard snickering in response. Than it was shut, and the three of them were alone.

Most images of her were clips taken from various charity events she'd attended along with some home footage from a vacation she had taken with her husband last year. It was surreal seeing her now. Her deep brown eyes looked not at them as much as into them. She'd definitely seen things. This was further evidenced that she looked to be in her late thirties, though they knew she was ten years younger. Her dirty blond hair was unwashed and tied back into a messy bun. Her eyes wore the dark bags of someone who hadn't slept and didn't care. All in all, she looked convincingly like a spoiled rich girl that got dealt a truly epic dose of reality.

She looked up at them wearily, clearly indifferent until her eyes met Jeb. Anyone who looked him in the eye knew he had seen horrors, and those that knew of the spooky side of the street knew those horrors weren't natural.

“Hi” Jeb started “We are here to ask you a few questions and hear your story without judgment.” He started to offer a handshake than thought better of it. “and this is my compatriot...”

He let that dangle for Holy to step in with whatever name she chose to go by.

28. - Top - End - #88

Holly also thought to offer her hand, then decided against it, nodding instead to prisoner.
    “Hi, I’m Ivy Robertson. Thanks for agreeing to meet with us. Like Jason said, we’re here to listen to your story, the full story, without judgement.”

With a small effort of will, Holly concentrated on the air near the microphone and camera, filling it full of energy. A tiny, nearly invisible thunderstorm appeared, shocked the mic, then dissipated with a small rumble of thunder. At the rumble, Holly smiled at Jayne. “We’re here to help you if we can. What can you tell us that was...unusual about the night your husband died?”

29. - Top - End - #89

Jayne's eyes wore the blood shot and bagged look of far too many missed nights of sleep. They darted between Jeb and Holy until 'Ivy' asked her question. Than Jayne's eyes lost focus and drifted downward like snowflakes landing in the gray gutter, focusing on nothing. Subconsciously, she lifted her right hand until the cuff prevented her, extending fingers with much-too-short and ragged nails. Than with her left hand she tucked some of her tangled, unwashed hair behind her ear.
    She tucked her chin and faced the table, but looked a thousand miles through it. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat and spoke quickly yet quietly.
    “I'm worried that you'll just write me off as crazy,just like the others. I feel like I'm crazy sometimes,but I'm not. I know what I saw. God, I wish I could forget. They didn't think I was crazy when I raised a million dollars for those inner city kids last year. Or when my friends and I backpacked across Europe. I had rolls in five films. I partied with celebrities, billionaires, and kids of politicians. I know secrets from them you wouldn't believe. Magazines used to interview me.”
    her voice picked up a little
    “You know what I hear now?”
    She sang with anger in her voice, getting louder with each line
    “Little Janie Snicker-Snack
    took an axe and went wicker-wack
    gave her mom a heart attack
    than took a walk through the woods and back”
    She was furious now as she spoke, smacking the table with her open hands as she spoke
    That's what the other women here sing! That's what the news thinks of me! That's why you're here, Right!? To poke the spoiled bitch who saw the... the...'
    She got quiet again, settling back in her seat.
    “the demon...right?”

During the commotion, Lemon started to open the door, but Jeb waved him off.

Jayne was still and quiet, looking through the table again. The only movement was a single tear trekking down a well-worn trail on her cheek. With a shaking, bone-weary voice she continued.
    “I'm sorry, I've been on edge since I got falsely accused of my husband's murder and thrown in prison. I can't imagine why.”
    She pushed her hair behind her ear again and continued.
    “My mother's heart attack was well before that day. I didn't even know about that stupid cabin until it showed up in her will. Eric happened to have a conference in Portland so we decided to check it out. The river was pretty and we thought that if we tore the cabin down and built a real house there we could throw some crazy parties.
    I was taking selfies outside while Eric was looking around the cabin when I heard him screaming. I ran inside and almost fell thrugh the hatch into the basement.”
    She stopped as if building up curage, and brushed her hair behind her ear again.
    “the basement... it sounded like he was in the basement. I couldn't really see because he dropped his phone face-down on the gravel floor. I could only kinda see..”
    her tone of voice didn't change, but the tears were freely flowing now. She gave no indication that she even noticed. She tucked her hair back and continued.
    “I pointed my light at him. We never looked in the basement before, I thought boxes fell on him or something. Than, I saw...”
    she looked at her interviewers, and subconsciously played with her hair than stopped, sitting up straight. She made a decision.
    “A giant bird monster was killing my husband.”
    She briefly studied their faces, and not seeing doubt, continued.
    “It...it...” her voice quavered “It was scratching and pecking and tearing. It's wings were wrong and I don't know how it even got in there. It was ice and feathers and cold...so cold. I could see my breath and ice was in the bl...the blood.”
    she paused again, eyes distant
    “I tried to pull him away, but than the demon monster thing...opened him. He stopped screaming really sudden, like he got turned off. I didn't get to say goodbye. I tried to help him. I...I tried...”
    She wept for a few moments, but managed to pull herself together enough to continue. She'd clearly had to re-tell this often and was determined to finish.
    “I think I still tried to pull him free. I must have dropped my phone because the only light was from the hatch. I couldn't get him up the ladder. He was too big for me and I think maybe the demon was still...still...”
    She took a deep breath
    “I think thats when it spoke in my head...I don't remember what it said. Just the word 'sacrifice'. Than I was in the woods. I think I must have ran. I just remember it being hours later and I was curled up, hidden in some bushes. I wandered for a long time looking for help. I didn't realize I was covered in his blood.'
    She looked at them again, tensed like a cornered animal waiting for the kill shot.
    Jeb wiped his eyes with his sleeve and said
    “We believe you.”

30. - Top - End - #90

Holly listened quietly and respectfully during Jayne’s telling of the events. At the conclusion she reached out a hand grasped Jaynes’ wrist. “We do believe you. Your husband’s death was an unfortunate accident, from the sounds of it. We don’t have a lot of time, so I’m going to ask you a few quick questions, ok? First: do you have any siblings?”