The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031
Results 901 to 916 of 916
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reinholdt's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In hiding. Always hiding.

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    [Waylaid Tours]
    Leah

    Rabbit ears? Now why is that familiar? Maybe she saw someone at the shanty town with a mutation like that.

    Doesn't matter. With her mallet hoisted over her shoulder with one hand she approaches the clearly unfriendly crowd.

    "Hey! What's going on here?" Leah asks in a displeased tone, eyebrow furrowed. "If you intend to ask a girl out, do it one at a time with sincerity in your heart and chocolates in your hand."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

  2. - Top - End - #902
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Earl of Purple's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Garden of the Angles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    Waylaid Tours Aelid

    Wow, Aelid was hungrier than she thought. And now she wants to... What? Nap on his bones? That seems a little morbid. And the impulse is more than a little compelling, though not irresistible. No, it is, in fact, resistible enough to make it really tempting. And that's concerning.

    Aelid has her husk walk out of the lean-to, and follows as her flock. They now discover the barrier's solidity (she'd not ventured away from the lean-to), with one of the crows flying full-pelt into the barrier and dying from the impact. The rest flutter around and with great discomfort. They land on various objects overlooking the barrier, and she directs her husk to it and reach out with a hand. Confirming the husk can walk through, one of the crows will land in her arms to see if she can be carried across.

    If that works, Aelid's going to spend a few minutes transferring the whole flock across, though the crows won't loiter too close to the barrier to attempt being not suspicious.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

    I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

  3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    [Waylaid Tours-Gwyn]

    Gwyn flings herself out the mouth of the cave as she's winged across the shoulder by the green bolt of magic from the creature. Her arms turn into wildly flailing noodles as she collapses onto the sandy beach, struggling to try to get up before passing out.

  4. - Top - End - #904
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zefir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not in a secret base, no!

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [A meeting place]

    "A goal that would require you to have many allies or puppets among the populance." Helios the pumpkin states. "My suggestion would be to either ally or puppet these troublemakers of yours. So in the interest of reaching this goal then what about this? In exchange for information about how you control the people of the city I can apply your methods to other parts of it. Essentially, you provide me with your product and I deliver it where you choose. There will of course be a fee of a few thousands of the credit used here in addition to that, but people don't work for just information after all and what I do requires money to accomplish."
    [A meeting place]

    Arkant looks skeptical at the pumkin head. That is what he meant befor. The benefit he can gain is quiet good, but it got a little sideeffect. For a moment he will be silent, thinking how to reply.

    "I think this won't be that easy. Most people follow me of their own will, because I grant them safty and work. That is more then they can think of.
    What I used for the rest isn't something you can just put in a box and deliver to them. Unless you have something for such cases?"


    Arkant is a strong mage and most people will fall for his manupulating magic, but creating items that do the manipulation aren't efficent. His current accessoires maintain the effect rathen then causing it themself.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!
    Avatar by Ceika

    Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

    Nexus Characters: LINK

  5. - Top - End - #905
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Shadowcaller's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Avatar by Gulaghar

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [New Inside - Castilla]

    Ilpholin's going for efficiency and while her weapons are sharper and more capable than normal ones in order to combat demonic golems, she has no intention of spending time testing. Thinky will just have to deal with the metal binding for a time.

    Ilpholin shakes her head with a disappointed frown on her face. "Infuriatingly no. But I need a break and I want him to stew in his own sweat for a bit. I'll be back in a minute or two." Hopefully this will discourage the guy from checking in the room as well, given the common interrogation technique.

    Either way, Ilpholin will go to walk by him, as if headed towards the bathroom, though her true goal is the stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [New Inside - Castilla]

    Ilpholin's going for efficiency and while her weapons are sharper and more capable than normal ones in order to combat demonic golems, she has no intention of spending time testing. Thinky will just have to deal with the metal binding for a time.

    Ilpholin shakes her head with a disappointed frown on her face. "Infuriatingly no. But I need a break and I want him to stew in his own sweat for a bit. I'll be back in a minute or two." Hopefully this will discourage the guy from checking in the room as well, given the common interrogation technique.

    Either way, Ilpholin will go to walk by him, as if headed towards the bathroom, though her true goal is the stairs.
    [New Inside - Castilla]

    "Where are you going?" He inquires though makes no move to get up. There is still staff moving about, not to mention the cameras.
    They still haven't reacted to what happened inside the room though, so perhaps it's still safe.

    [A meeting place]

    "Is that so? Those items, the necklaces around that merchants neck in particular, you seemingly used to control people seemed pretty effective to me. But perhaps I'm mistaken and furthermore, perhaps once they now know a bit about your methods they would be suspicious if their leader suddenly became extremely friendly with you. But if you don't trust in your own methods then allow me to suggest an alternative. It seems to me that you and the slavers can work as allies. I imagine they would pay a fortune for a easily distributed way of controlling people such as yours. So what I'm offering is to act as a neutral party and negotiate an agreement with you. Imagine how much you could make off the lucurative slave trade of the city. With that much money you could easily spread your influence further in the city as long as you stay away from their trade. Since why would you sabotage your own income source? Really, it would be a agreement everyone would benefit from." The pumpkin pauses. "But perhaps you have interjections? Counter-arguments? Trust issues? The slavers are as any merchant and make decisions based on money, so if you can make them make even more money, I doubt they would say no."

  6. - Top - End - #906
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Rebonack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The King's Grave

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    [Waylaid Tours]
    Carlie and Leah

    There are some scowls when you laugh. They don't appear to enjoy being laughed at. But when you heft the weapons they consider the implications of what you just said. You're no slouch in combat.

    You survived the woods.

    Maybe harassing you isn't such a great plan? And then the cat-eared woman arrives.

    Apparently this is a good day for people who have animal ears.

    What do you say?

    Carlie and Leah

    They were already looking like they were beginning to lose their nerve when you were approaching, but now that you're here? Those scowls deepen. They look like they're about to say something nasty, but then one of them points to the amulet around your neck and whispers to the others. Begrudgingly, they begin to disperse.

    "You best behave yourselves, strangers," one of them shouts over his shoulder as they leave.

    The woman without any animal ears releases the breath she was holding.

    "Okay that was terrifying," she huffs. "How do you people DO this? The whole brave in the face of immanent danger thing?"

    What do you say?

    Dave

    You draw your weapon and shout into the gloom!

    The response is a muddle, half whispered babel of voices. It certainly sounds like several people talking, but it's wholly unintelligible.

    Then you see a shadow. A rough, vaguely humanoid shape standing in the gloom. As you focus on it, it vanishes. And as it vanishes, a feeling of sourceless fear sweeps over the room. You feel compelled to flee for your life. Your heart thunders in your chest and your vision swims. You have to get out of here!

    You see the door to the entry hall standing open. You're sure it was closed before. You could run out of the castle easily enough.

    Or...

    You could steel yourself against the horror and stand resolute.

    What do you do?

    Hector

    As you circle around behind the church you find that the fence around the yard is in good repair. Likely they don't want spirits and spooks sneaking onto the grounds.

    Things like your shadow.

    This is likely a task you'll need aid with. After all, you can't always do EVERYTHING on your own.

    Momentarily thwarted, you return to the barn where exhaustion takes its toll.

    ...it feels like you just closed your eyes when you find yourself being poked with a stick by a seven year old boy with a missing front tooth.

    "HEY MISTER! A buncha other people like you are coming out of the woods!" the child yells at you. By the time you've blinked away sleep the boy has already departed.

    You could go investigate the newcomers to the Hamlet right away. Or you could go and see about getting breakfast and do some farm work. Both of those are wholly workable options.

    What do you do?

    Aelid

    The impulse to heap yourself up on the bones of the corpse grows weaker with distance, but it never really goes away. And you can't help but feel like the members of your murder who fed on the corpse are bigger. Not any less hungry. They're just larger birds than they were before. In fact, should you take the time to examine yourself, you'll discover that those birds are visibly growing. And upon growing to twice their original size?

    They begin to caw and flutter as an uncanny feeling of pulling overcomes them. They sprout another beak. Then that pulls apart into two heads. Two more wings. Two more legs. And then in a swirl of feathers they pull in half into two smaller crows. How strange.

    The first bird lays in a crumbled heap at the foot of the barrier, neck at an awkward angle and limbs splayed horribly. It feels terrible to look at. However, carrying a bird across the barrier works fine. You're not sure why, but it does. Maybe the barrier somehow sees a human body with a human soul in its proximity as permissible while a soul flapping around on its own isn't? It's hard to guess with these sorts of things.

    Crows disperse into the Hamlet! You'll notice a few very important things right away. First? The sun here is much brighter. And the sky isn't sick. You can look up into it and see only blue with a few high, wispy clouds. It covers a rather large area, with a small town off in the distance. A huge castle looms beyond the town, seated imperiously atop the bluffs. Farms dot the area, many with fields of winter grain that is no doubt full of tasty insects. More than a few have scarecrows set up in them, but you don't find the vaguely humanoid figures on sticks particularly terrifying.

    As you begin carrying birds across the threshold, you're stuck with another impulse. This one, arguably, even more powerful than the desire to roost.

    Carry one of Granny's pretty birds into the Hamlet.

    The dead bird.

    You must take the dead bird with you.

    You could carry the dead bird across the threshold. Or you could carry the dead bird across the threshold. Or you could carry the dead bird across the threshold.

    What do you do?

    Gwyn

    And so you fled laughing and wailing through those blackened arcades of antiquity.

    Until consciousness failed you.

    Troubled dreams haunt your mind. You lay in the sand paralyzed as the water laps against you. A shadow passes overhead. Fear mounts. It will eat you. It will eat you, but you can't run. It lands in the sand and stalks closer. Teeth and beak and claws and antlers and feathers and fur. Hunger. Strength. Ferocity. Fear. A hooked beak full of teeth clamps down on your arm and rips.

    Human flesh is devoured as the Wildness of the Weald pours in.

    You awaken on the beach.

    Your arm hurts.

    You feel hungry.

    The dream was just a dream. Your arm is not eaten and you have sensation in it again. But you feel so... hungry now. The hunger is pounding in your ears. Smells are suddenly so intense. The sea and the kelp. The scent of blood and flesh from the tunnel in the cliff face near you. Something about that meat is wrong. Rancid. Sick. It churns your stomach. In the distance you can smell fish and humans an animals. The fish is especially tempting.

    Sitting up on the beach, your sudden motion scares away several small white crabs. They go skittering to their burrows. In the distance, further down the beach, you can see a flight of stairs leading up the bluff. A small sign near the stairs reads, 'To the Hamlet'.

    It strikes you that you shouldn't be able to read that sign from so far away.

    It also strikes you that your hair has turned absolutely stark white while your finger nails have turned jet black.

    Strange.

    The Hamlet suggests civilization. Walking there shouldn't be very hard. Upon cresting the hill you'll be able to make out a shanty town nearby and the Hamlet proper further away. There countryside is dotted with small farms and in the distance looms a castle of monstrous proportions.

    What do you do?

    Khiael

    The tanner regards you with skepticism.

    "No. Can't say that I have," he replies to your question. "Not many folks come in here if they can avoid it. Good to hear that some people made it through the woods. Any news from other hamlets?"

    Ah.

    He would probably like to hear about what's going on. But do you dare tell him about the Nexus? They're pretty isolated by the sunless sea and woods. They might not even notice.

    That other shack, the horrible one, it's still pulling at you. Something is wrong there and you should do something about it. You aren't sure what that means but it's some sort of sense that you're sure you didn't have before. Some kind of cherub thing?

    What do you say?
    ****

    "Oh, uh, well, my home hamlet is doing pretty okay. Things don't really... change much," Khiael replies, shifting uneasily. "I... uh... just thought I would check here. See if you saw anyone so I guess I'll go now?"

    He backs out the door while the tanner eyes him suspiciously.

    And then as soon as he clears the door he jobs toward the noxious shack. What's going on there? He has to know.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

  7. - Top - End - #907
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    5a Violista's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Next to the Mandolinist

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    [Waylaid Tours]
    Carlie, guest-starring Leah

    Carlie, glad that they go, laughs away the nervousness. "Thanks," she says to Leah. The bunnygirl notably notices that Leah isn't wearing the peasant's clothing that Carlie is.
    She puts the cutlass back in the convenient place in her dress.

    She turns back to Clara. "Yeah, it was," she agrees. "Maybe if I was alone and feeling well, I could have stopped them if they wanted to fight, but..." But neither of those are true. "...well, I just have a lot of experience with that sort of stuff and I figured it would be better to scare them away than to actually fight."
    Then, whispering semi-loudly as if confiding a secret, she adds, "The bloodstains on the sword? That's my own blood." Her attempt at intimidating them was totally a bluff.

    Back to Leah: "You...you were on the bus, too?" she asks.

    ...If so, she'll let Clara explain their plan.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

  8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    Waylaid Tours- Hector

    Hector groans and gets out of bed. He wants to get breakfast. But then he would owe the farmer even more. And then he would feel indebted to help out and take all day and start a whole cycle of not doing what he set out to do.
    So for now he skips breakfast a little longer and goes to investigate the newcomers.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    Waylaid Tour - Dave

    "A-a-a-away from me s-spirit!" Dave stammers. His hands are shaking, but he doesn't want to run. He raises the knife unsteadily. "I'm w-w-warning you!" He can't bring himself to step towards the ghost, only to prepare to attack if it comes any nearer.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reinholdt's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In hiding. Always hiding.

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    [Waylaid Tours]
    Leah et al

    Leah watches the crowd disperse with a cold stare until they're all gone.

    "Training," Leah says simply, turning to Clara. "My dad in particular was fond of it. Be prepared for anything!" She raises a finger dramatically recounting his words and rolls her eyes so hard it looks like they might fall out.

    They don't.

    Leah nods to Carlie. "I was. You too? Didn't know if anyone else was still around. Didn't see anyone when I woke up, that's for sure. I was about to hit up the castle for information. Either of you find transportation out of here?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

  11. - Top - End - #911
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Earl of Purple's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Garden of the Angles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    Waylaid Tours Aelid & Flock

    Good to know that the choice of perching upon that skeleton isn't lost with distance. It remains a possibility for the future, if Aelid decides to go full crow-lady. Or whatever might happen there.

    After her flock which is... about thirty birds? I think? It was a couple dozen when she pulled a vine down to get off the giant mushroom, two have died since, and the ones that ate the corpse have doubled, so... It could be nearly forty. After her flock's crossed into the hamlet, she does turn and pick up the dead bird and carry that across the wards. She'll carry it into a field and put it down.

    Once that's done, she'll splinter her flock into small groups, twos or threes because two is lucky and three is a girl, which Aelid is. One bird will stay with the husk, as she walks towards the hamlet.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

    I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

  12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    [Waylaid Tours-Gwyn]

    Gwyn grumbles as she comes to, feeling the pain in her arm and side. She looks around, then frowns as she realizes that her senses are enhanced, her hair and nails have changed color, and that she's already started to walk towards the fish she craves without even realizing it. She sighs and mutters to herself, "Looks like that thing tried to hit me with some kind of flesh-shaping curse but it when haywire..." She pauses, thinks, then shakes her head, continuing as she walks purposefully towards the sign directing her to the Hamlet and then the Hamlet itself, "Yeah, that has to be it. Shame this hamlet probably won't have a proper cursebreaker or necromancer but...Oh well. Worth a shot anyways."

  13. - Top - End - #913
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Earl of Purple's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Garden of the Angles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    Nightmare Forest

    "The Fear wants to change reality so the world obeys every whim? That would require a lot of power, I think." Makuro looks around, at the forest. It might require a lot of power, but this Fear already has a lot of power. How much more would be needed to make that desire a reality?

    This is certainly something that falls into Vigil's remit as defenders of the world.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

    I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

  14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Halae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Questing
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Bufopolis

    "Oh. I'm... Sorry to hear that. Siblings are the best. Except when they're the worst. And even then they're still the best." He nods a bit vigorously and nearly falls over, before he catches himself.
    [Bufopolis]

    Emily nods solemnly, "Emotional intimacy is difficult to come by; savor it wherever you can get it. Some aren't so lucky as to have it."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

    Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

  15. - Top - End - #915
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Earl of Purple's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Garden of the Angles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    Bufopolis

    The boy nods and looks like he's about to say something when he instead snores. He's fallen asleep, apparently whilst nodding. He remains sat mostly upright, though it might be a good idea to change that, gently before he falls over.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

    I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

  16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Halae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Questing
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

    [Bufopolis]

    Emily will gently take the boy in hand and guide him to the ground, where he can sleep off the effects of his drinking in relative peace. Emily for her part will attend the celebration a bit longer and indulge in eating, but she's never been one much for partying, and will sooner or later look for a place to bed down for the night.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

    Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •