The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    If you put a bunch of spaces before another character at the end of an otherwise too-short post, the software counts them all towards the post's length, then deletes all but one of them.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    If you put a bunch of spaces before another character at the end of an otherwise too-short post, the software counts them all towards the post's length, then deletes all but one of them.
    Note that it doesn't actually delete them. The forum displays all consecutive spaces as a single space, but if you quote or edit the post, you will see the spaces are still there. I believe this is the intended effect.

    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-08-30 at 03:47 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    If you put a bunch of spaces before another character at the end of an otherwise too-short post, the software counts them all towards the post's length, then deletes all but one of them.
    The Mod Ogre: We know about it. We expect folks to use it sparingly, partially because it's hard to use it without contributing to minor spam (which is a warnable offense).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Note that it doesn't actually delete them. The forum displays all consecutive spaces as a single space, but if you quote or edit the post, you will see the spaces are still there. I believe this is the intended effect.

    Grey Wolf
    Note that it's not actually the forum that deletes them, it's your browser. It's part of the HTML standard.

    Code:
    <div>It allows you
            <a href="fake">to space</a>
                    your
            <a href="fake">code out</a>
            and still have it
            display correctly.
    </div>

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    So... the forum software changes the enter key to "<br />" so the browser can change it back, but it doesn't alter spaces in an equivalent way?
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    So... the forum software changes the enter key to "<br />" so the browser can change it back, but it doesn't alter spaces in an equivalent way?
    Well, it has to do that to display the line break, but converting all spaces into non-breaking spaces would just be absurd.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    "What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Well, it has to do that to display the line break
    Exactly
    but converting all spaces into non-breaking spaces would just be absurd.
    What would be absurd about it?
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator
     
    Douglas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    What would be absurd about it?
    Well, for one thing it would prevent line wrapping, so any post with any remotely long line in it would get horizontal scrolling.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2019-09-04 at 03:27 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

    Avatar by Ceika.

    Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    I can think of a small handful of issues that it would probably over-complicate. Trust me when I say that non-breaking spaces are only ever used sparingly in web development, and only when there's good reason. You definitely wouldn't want to use them exclusively.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    "What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I can think of a small handful of issues that it would probably over-complicate. Trust me when I say that non-breaking spaces are only ever used sparingly in web development, and only when there's good reason. You definitely wouldn't want to use them exclusively.
    The only time I can think of using them is in things like "in the year 2 BC" or "in AD 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The only time I can think of using them is in things like "in the year 2 BC" or "in AD 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue!"
    Neither of those statements appear to have any need for a non-breaking space, so I'm confused what the intended use would be here.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    "What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Neither of those statements appear to have any need for a non-breaking space, so I'm confused what the intended use would be here.
    They don't need non-breaking spaces, but they look better with non-breaking spaces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bug in the "minimum post length" checker

    Sheriff: So I think this thread has probably run its course. It's not really a board issue anyway, so much as something your browser does as part of standard HTML. Further non-GitP-specific discussion about this phenomenon is probably best taken up in the Mad Science and Grumpy Technology forum.
    Forum Rules

    Roland in the Dark by Djinn in Tonic

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •