New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Naming my campaign setting..drawing a blank!

As the subject states, I am drawing a blank on what to call my campaign setting. The only real reason it matters, is because I plan on making a wiki for the campaign, which will be kind of a in-game-google.

So, highlight gist.

Setting: Space Opera
    System: Mongoose Traveller

A century ago, the known galaxy was under one rule, the Agnazari Empire. They were (relatively) benevolent rulers. Ran a fairly peaceful and prosperous galactic empire for seven centuries.
    The Agnazari dynasty was wiped out in a terrorist attack. new dynasty (Necazari) stepped in. Empire splits into two during a succession crisis. 17 year long uber destructive civil war tears the galaxy apart.
    Current date, a century after the schism, an uneasy "peace" reigns cold war era style. One empire tries its best to emulate the old masters, but fails. losing territories, bogged down by red tape and lack of progress. On the other side of the curtain the considerably smaller empire slowly but extremely steadily develop fascist tendencies, nationalism drives them forward in making their war machine superior.

And spinning around them are independent factions, megacorporations, nomadic spacers and space rednecks, who have had enough of their ****, using the opportunity to strike rich in the prelude of galactic total war.

Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Kobold

Default Re: Naming my campaign setting..drawing a blank!

Quote Originally Posted by Joethegoblin View Post
    As the subject states, I am drawing a blank on what to call my campaign setting. The only real reason it matters, is because I plan on making a wiki for the campaign, which will be kind of a in-game-google.

So, highlight gist.

Setting: Space Opera
    System: Mongoose Traveller

A century ago, the known galaxy was under one rule, the Agnazari Empire. They were (relatively) benevolent rulers. Ran a fairly peaceful and prosperous galactic empire for seven centuries.
    The Agnazari dynasty was wiped out in a terrorist attack. new dynasty (Necazari) stepped in. Empire splits into two during a succession crisis. 17 year long uber destructive civil war tears the galaxy apart.
    Current date, a century after the schism, an uneasy "peace" reigns cold war era style. One empire tries its best to emulate the old masters, but fails. losing territories, bogged down by red tape and lack of progress. On the other side of the curtain the considerably smaller empire slowly but extremely steadily develop fascist tendencies, nationalism drives them forward in making their war machine superior.

And spinning around them are independent factions, megacorporations, nomadic spacers and space rednecks, who have had enough of their ****, using the opportunity to strike rich in the prelude of galactic total war.

Any ideas?
    Ruins of the Agnazari
    Schism Frontier: In Space, even the wars are cold....

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I noticed each name ends with “azari”. Context?
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    I noticed each name ends with “azari”. Context?
    Both Agnazari and Necazari come from the same culture group called Dar/Dari. Its a remnant of ancient tribal naming traditions, a tradition that has partially died out, except amongst conservative factions. The Agnazari and Necazari are Arcazari in origin, who in origin were called the Dar'Cazari. Dar roughly meaning "the people", Cazar/Cazari being the name of the leader of the "tribe".
    Soon after the advent of FTL, The Dar'Cazari reformed both culturally and politically. As a result they became more involved in galactic trade.
    The name change was a bit coincidental. They wanted to seperate themselves from the other Dari, as the Dari reputation at the time was mixed at best. As it happened, most non-dari had a fairly hard time pronouncing Dar'Cazar (with a deeply arabic accent and phonetics) , and they became known as the Arcazari.

That being said, the -azari ending is not that common. Its fairly common amongst the aristocracy.
    Other name examples: Barca (pronounced Barqua), Zuhar, Harcanir, Jacazar, Timortin, Nubain.

That's what i call overexplaining!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Schism of the Dar/Dari?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Children of the Dar? Children of Dar'Cazari?

Legacy of the Dar('Cazari)?

Quote Originally Posted by Joethegoblin
    to strike rich in the prelude of galactic total war.
    Legacy of the Dar: Prelude to Galactic Total War

Children of the Dari: Silence Before Storm
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.