New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Disney plus... pretty much everything...

So Disney released a three hour You Tube video listing everything that is releasing when Disney Plus goes live.

Thoughts? Anything you are excited to see? Anything they left out.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Disney plus... pretty much everything...

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    So Disney released a three hour You Tube video listing everything that is releasing when Disney Plus goes live.

Thoughts? Anything you are excited to see? Anything they left out.
    I think the better question is what ISN'T on the streaming service because based on what I've heard despite the fact there are 23 MCU films there's only gonna be like 5 or 6 of the films on there at a time. Hey Disney real loyalty to your fanbase especially after you just transparently asked your fanbase to spend an extra 45 mil. to make one of your films break a record in such a narcissistic act that even Narcissus could condemn you and not be a hypocrite!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Actually, they've stated that part of the problem is current licensing agreements. Netflix still has rights to some stuff for a while. Universal studios has the rights to 2008 Incredible Hulk, so that won't show up at all. Paramount was the distributor for all marvel movies prior to Avengers.

Now, once some rights lapse, if they have them back and aren't showing, that's another issue entirely.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

4. - Top - End - #4

Actually, they've stated that part of the problem is current licensing agreements. Netflix still has rights to some stuff for a while. Universal studios has the rights to 2008 Incredible Hulk, so that won't show up at all. Paramount was the distributor for all marvel movies prior to Avengers.

Now, once some rights lapse, if they have them back and aren't showing, that's another issue entirely.
    I think Netflix has the rights to like 4 or 5. There are 5 movies before the first Avengers film. So that's ten. Less than have. Also, considering all the cash Disney has, would it really be all that difficult for them to renegotiate, spend a little bit of cash, and get the films on the streaming service?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I thought that the MCU was going to be the major reason I signed up for (or didn't sign up for) Disney+.

Having seen the list? I don't care. The MCU movies will show up, or they won't. There's enough day one content there to keep me occupied for freaking forever.

I'm most surprised by the list of live action films. There's a LOT of stuff I remember from my childhood that I'm looking forward to seeing again.

Swiss Family Robinson
    Treasure Island
    The Incredible Journey
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks
    Willow (!!!!)
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Sister Act
    Hocus Pocus

...hell, I could put at least 20 more flims just from the live action section. And that's just stuff that I've seen. There's a bunch on there that I've vaguely heard of as classics that I never got to see.

I am rather surprised to see White Wilderness listed. That film is nearly as infamous as Song of the South, which did not get included.

---

From the animated films, there's a fair few of the classics that I saw in the cinema that I'd like to see, plus a lot of the newer ones like Frozen that I never got a chance to see (or would like to see again, like Wreck-It-Ralph).

The TV shows don't have much for me, but there are a few. I've never seen Gargoyles, so I'm super excited for that. Gravity Falls is fantastic and I never got a chance to finish watching it.

The Pixar stuff has some gaps, which surprises me. Up is a notable absence.

And of course, 30 years worth of Simpsons. Dear Lord.

---

So...yeah. They've sold me. That is a flipping TON of content, and deciding not to sign up for it because they don't have [INSERT SHOW HERE] feels like cutting my nose off to spite my face. I'll get it, work my way through everything I want to see, and then look at what they've added to see whether I want to keep it. There's a lot more I want to see on Disney+ than there is on Netflix, that's for sure.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    That is a flipping TON of content, and deciding not to sign up for it because they don't have [INSERT SHOW HERE] feels like cutting my nose off to spite my face.
    Well when your nose is infected and it could spread and infect the rest of your face and rest of your body then yes. Considering everything Disney owns why isn't there more? Here's an analogy: someone donating $10,000 is generous, but if it's someone that has a billion dollars $10,000 isn't all that generous. I say boycott until MOST of Disney's content is on there. You know, teach the company that serious messed up the public domain and greedily just asked to make one of its films be the highest grossing film of all time because they wanted it. Try and teach them to at least pretend to value its viewers and learn that having fans is something that has to be earned.
    Last edited by Magic_Hat; 2019-10-16 at 07:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I’m pretty much burned out on MCU films, so that’s here nor there for me. I was just watching a little Ultron a few minutes ago, because I needed to put the brain in neutral, but at this point it’s not something I’d pay for.

WandaVision, I’d make an exception for. Loki? Hel yes.

But Disney had me at the Mandalorian. Enough with Rebels and Resistance and whatnot. Live-action Star Wars series? So very much in.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    WandaVision, I’d make an exception for. Loki? Hel yes.
    Oh boy! Prequels! So in other words since they're prequels there's no tension. I mean I'm assuming they're prequels because...

Spoiler: Infinity War
    Show
    ...in Infinity Wars 2/3 of those titular characters died.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Also, considering all the cash Disney has, would it really be all that difficult for them to renegotiate, spend a little bit of cash, and get the films on the streaming service?
    No.

Though might not be "a little". The current licenseholders will ofc try and gouge Disney all they can for the few morsels that have escaped Disney's grasp.

Not sure who I'd root for in the fight to be honest.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-10-17 at 09:19 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh boy! Prequels! So in other words since they're prequels there's no tension. I mean I'm assuming they're prequels because...

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why does the only tension have to be whether or not a character dies? Can you seriously not enjoy a story if you're told at the start of it the main character will survive? Is it only the destination that matters, or is it the journey that gets you there?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why does the only tension have to be whether or not a character dies? Can you seriously not enjoy a story if you're told at the start of it the main character will survive? Is it only the destination that matters, or is it the journey that gets you there?
    Spoiler
    Show
    We're talking about MCU characters here. When has the MCU ever strayed from this formula of "good guy has to punch and shoot lasers at evil bad guy who wants to kill person for cliche reason(s) and also lots of quipping"? The journey is never different for any of these characters.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    You're bitching about something that isn't even true. Neither is a prequel.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

We're talking about MCU characters here. When has the MCU ever strayed from this formula of "good guy has to punch and shoot lasers at evil bad guy who wants to kill person for cliche reason(s) and also lots of quipping"? The journey is never different for any of these characters.
    Then you and the MCU have something in common.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-10-17 at 08:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

One thing I haven't seen answered is: will the Disney+ original content be sold without a subscription on other digital stores?

They do this with Hulu original series. If you want to watch, for example, The Handmaid's Tale, but you don't want to subscribe to Hulu, you can buy or rent it without a subscription from Google Play Movies and TV, Microsoft Movies and TV, Amazon Video, or iTunes. Some of the Hulu series also get DVD/Blue-Ray releases. No subscription is required to watch Hulu series on any of those websites: you only have to buy the particular series or episodes you want.

HBO is the same way. You can get HBO shows by subscribing to HBOGo/HBONow (and soon HBO Max), but you can also get them digitally without a subscription on Google Play, iTunes, Amazon, or the Microsoft Store. Potential customers have many options both in where they buy Hulu or HBO media, and in how they buy it (subscription vs one-time digital purchase vs physical media).

Unfortunately, not all of the film subscription studios offer customers those options. With few exeptions, Netflix original series and films are not available through any digital storefront other than Netflix, and they aren't even avaiable to buy outside of a subscription on Netflix. Some of the Netflix originals due get DVD releases, but others don't. Even when they do, tracking down a physical disk is a lot less convenient than going to Google Play and downloading the movie or episode you want immediately.

So the question is, will Disney+ original content be more like Hulu and HBO, or more like Netflix? As far as I know, Disney hasn't confirmed one way or the other.

Last year, I saw several clickbait headlines claiming that all Disney-owned theatrically-released movies from Captain Marvel onwards would be "exclusive" to Disney+. That ended up being hogwash, as Captain Marvel (along with more recent Disney movies) showed up on Movies Anywhere, Amazon Video, Google Play, iTunes, Microsoft Movies and TV, Vudu, and probably some other digital stores I am forgetting about. But Disney might treat the movies that got wide theatrical releases differently from the content they are claiming as "original" to Disney+.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

This may be true but I think the Paramount bit is wrong. Marvel bought the distribution rights for the phase 1 movies from Paramount in July 2013. This was 4 movies Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor 1, Captain America 1.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...om-s-paramount

And before 2013 Disney after it bought Marvel bought the distribution rights to Avengers 1 and Iron Man 3 prior to those movies coming out. That was in 2010.

Of course there still may be content deals with Cable and Netflix companies but to my understanding Disney now owns the formerly Paramount parts of the MCU.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    You're -----ing about something that isn't even true. Neither is a prequel.
    First off vulgarity. Nice!

Second, then what are they? These series either take place in a different universe in which case don't care because all this is confusing enough. And if they do take place in the main MCU universe they have to be prequels because...

Show
    ...Loki and Vision died in Infinity War.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground

They already had me at the Marvel shows, but Simpsons, Gargoyles, Willow, and 90s X-Men? I don't get it, I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Then you and the MCU have something in common.
    Zing!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

First off vulgarity. Nice!

Second, then what are they? These series either take place in a different universe in which case don't care because all this is confusing enough. And if they do take place in the main MCU universe they have to be prequels because...

Show
    ...Loki and Vision died in Infinity War.
    We already know what the premise of Loki is going to be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Loki escaped from New York after the events of The Avengers when the Tesseract fell on the floor near him. This is why Stark had to go back even further in time to get the Tesseract.

The Loki TV series will be exploring what happened to that version of Loki, putting him in an alternate timeline and undoing all the "good Loki" characterization that he got in the Thor movies.

For WandaVision we know much less.

Spoiler: WandaVision speculation
    Show
    There are rumors that it takes place several years after Endgame, and the events in it will directly lead into Doctor Strange 2. There are other rumors that it will take place in the 1950s, which means time travel of some variety. As to how they bring Vision back for either of these? Speculation is that Shuri's research in Infinity War will finally pay off. She was trying to make it so Vision could live independently from the Mind Stone. It's possible that in the 5 years since Infinity War she has succeeded, and will be able to "resurrect" Vision.

I don't see him returning to the main movies, because Marvel has thus far been scrupulous at keeping the Movie-verse and the TV-verse separate. Not sure how this will work with Wanda taking part in a TV series while still showing up for Doctor Strange 2. But I'd still bet on Vision remaining dead for the movies.

Speculation aside, there's been no indication from anywhere that either series will be a prequel. It's just your usual "comic book heroes never stay dead" trope coming into force.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe the eventual goal is everything Disney and Fox has made that's rated G to PG-13(and not Song of the South)*. Will be on Disney+ while the R-Rated material would be on Hulu.

I also imagine they'll still let Marvel movies appear on NetFlix and Amazon Prime for a limited time to act as breadcrumbs back to Disney.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2019-10-20 at 05:10 AM.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    I believe the eventual goal is everything Disney and Fox has made that's rated G to PG-13(and not Song of the South)*. Will be on Disney+ while the R-Rated material would be on Hulu.
    Makes sense. They're targeting families, and they have their entire animated catalogue up there. Keeping the R-rated stuff out of the kiddie pool is easier than trying to create a gated section within Disney+ that kids can't access.

Still, I wonder how this will work overseas. Hulu isn't an option for most of the world. Hopefully it'll all just go up on Netflix and Prime.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

For WandaVision we know much less.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it will be the MCU's version of House of M: Wanda rewriting reality to fix a personal loss. My tin-foil hat theory is that it will end with a reverse "No more mutants", bringing the X-men to the MCU
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

22. - Top - End - #22

We already know what the premise of Loki is going to be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Loki escaped from New York after the events of The Avengers when the Tesseract fell on the floor near him. This is why Stark had to go back even further in time to get the Tesseract.

The Loki TV series will be exploring what happened to that version of Loki, putting him in an alternate timeline and undoing all the "good Loki" characterization that he got in the Thor movies.
    Correct - and I expect that it'll be another "What If" style testing ground for various ideas they weren't able to roll with in the MCU prime, as well as getting to see corners of the universe like other planets and alien races we didn't get as much time with in the MCU proper.

My expectation is that this version of Loki will experience some growth too, just slower than what we got from him in the Thor movies, and possibly even end up in L&T which releases later that same year.

I don't see him returning to the main movies, because Marvel has thus far been scrupulous at keeping the Movie-verse and the TV-verse separate. Not sure how this will work with Wanda taking part in a TV series while still showing up for Doctor Strange 2. But I'd still bet on Vision remaining dead for the movies.
    I think the whole point of Phase 4 is to blur those lines more than they have done thus far.

Speculation aside, there's been no indication from anywhere that either series will be a prequel. It's just your usual "comic book heroes never stay dead" trope coming into force.
    And even if it is a prequel, that doesn't mean it can't overlap with or have any implications for the current day. Especially when we're dealing with a character like Wanda who can make the plot tap-dance to wherever they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it will be the MCU's version of House of M: Wanda rewriting reality to fix a personal loss. My tin-foil hat theory is that it will end with a reverse "No more mutants", bringing the X-men to the MCU
    I doubt X-Men will be for a while. First off, we need time to wash the horrible Fox run out of our collective mouths, and second, them showing up is going to be a pretty big deal with lots of media coverage. So I predict 2022 at the earliest.

With that said, there are already rumblings around Deadpool, and other traditionally-mutant properties like Runaways and Cloak & Dagger are doing well, along with big gaping holes where "this is where their powers come from" go.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I am sorry but I expect Loki to experience more growth more often, but also when the growth occurs it will be smaller leaps ahead with his growth, due to not having a support system aka family aka Thor around.

And while Loki will experience more growth more often (but smaller gains in growth for each individual incident.) He is also going to have more reversions to the mean, more times he says [censored] and he will choose the easy path even if that path burns him in the long run.

-----

But hey that is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. Why I think this will occur, and if it does not well it should occur is that I get to see Loki in pain more often when the foreseeable consequences of his actions catch up with him.

[ Sidenote if you have not read War of the Realms: Warscrolls #2 as a comic in 2019 you should. It has 3 short stories and one of them is Loki based. It is a wonderful story about Brunch, a hat, and a bear. It is wonderful as a narrative and the art is gorgeous..."All our Sins buried in Ash and Snow"...

Plus one of the other two short stories is good as well, the one involving Doctor Strange and Nightmare. ]
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-10-20 at 11:34 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm good with either - slow growth, or fast growth with revisions to the mean. My point was more that a series generally covers 3-5x the runtime of a movie depending on season length so there'll be time for a slower boil as far as his character goes. (And given the title of the series + Tom Hiddleston's popularity in the role, it's definitely going to be character-centric.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    We're talking about something based on comics. When has anyone ever stayed dead in comics that was remotely popular?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'm good with either - slow growth, or fast growth with revisions to the mean. My point was more that a series generally covers 3-5x the runtime of a movie depending on season length so there'll be time for a slower boil as far as his character goes. (And given the title of the series + Tom Hiddleston's popularity in the role, it's definitely going to be character-centric.)
    So in sum you are saying...

Spoiler: Your Disney Plus Savior is Here
    Show

-----

By which I mean

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    We're talking about something based on comics. When has anyone ever stayed dead in comics that was remotely popular?
    You leave my Destiny out of this!
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-10-20 at 12:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Psyren
    …and other traditionally-mutant properties like Runaways and Cloak & Dagger are doing well….
    In both the comics and the Freeform series, Cloak and Dagger have a non-mutant origin for their abilities. In the comics they were injected with an experimental drug; in the series they have a connection to the funky energy force lurking beneath New Orleans.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    In both the comics and the Freeform series, Cloak and Dagger have a non-mutant origin for their abilities. In the comics they were injected with an experimental drug; in the series they have a connection to the funky energy force lurking beneath New Orleans.
    My bad, thought they were mutants for some reason
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

My bad, thought they were mutants for some reason
    Originally in the comics it was suggested that they had latent x-genes that were activated by the drug. That's since been dropped and it's explicitly stated that they're mutates these days.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

They already had me at the Marvel shows, but Simpsons, Gargoyles, Willow, and 90s X-Men? I don't get it, I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing's happening.
    I mean, this. Honestly, I feel like it's easier to just ask a random person, "Which one thing was it that sold you on Disney+?" Because... yeah. There is going to be at least one thing on that list that you kind of... is "need" the right verb? I feel like it's "need."

For me, it was Gargoyles, the classic X-Men cartoon, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Criminally underrated, that movie.

That said, I've spoken with people who say, "Look, I get it, there's some great family entertainment there. But I'm a grown adult human; nothing on that list interests me." These people make me legitimately sad.

Yes, there will be some new content. Marvel stuff, Star Wars stuff. That's neat. I expect to read articles on fansites about all the wonderful things these series do wrong, or how much they suck without the budget of a theatrical blockbuster. Because people can't have nice things.

But the classics? The stuff that was great when it came out, and has aged... reasonably well? I want to see it again. I want to binge this stuff when I'm taking a sick day from work. I want to share it with the young members of my family as they grow old enough to appreciate it.

That's what I'm showing up for.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!