New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Joker (2019)

1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Joker (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I once had someone ask to buy a ticket for the sound system because that was one of the posters in the front outdoor wall.
    In his defence, he just thought the poster looked cool and he laughed it off.
    No, they would not realize that Deadpool is not a family movie.
    This reminds me of the time that I went to see the cat movie Keanu with a female friend, her boyfriend, her younger sister and her teenage niece. I was surprised she bring her niece to see that movie. I did say something about that. I asked you do realize that Keanu is Rated R right? Her sister and her niece didn't know about that but they love cats.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-10-25 at 05:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

"But its a COMIC BOOK MOVIE!" "Lady, they dont assign ratings at random. Maybe take a freaking HINT." And yeah, r is accompanied by an adult, nc17 is nobody under 17 but then, nobody has to worry about that much as they pretty much never get theatrical releases. Understandably so as movie theaters dont like restricting audiences with an R rating, let alone anything higher. Cuts the audience pool potential on a huge scale. Its why deadpool took so long to make, because ryan reynolds refused to do deadpool as a pg13 film and studios didnt like the idea of losing out on ticket sales by having an R film.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

I worked at a movie theater back when the Nolan Batman films were coming out, and I remember we ran into this problem a lot. I forget which of the films it was, the one with the 'pencil scene?' But we had a lot of parents coming out of the theater with crying kids, asking for refunds, despite the fact it was a PG-13 film. But it was Batman, so I guess they thought it would be two hours of Adam West dancing or something? Who knows.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I worked at a movie theater back when the Nolan Batman films were coming out, and I remember we ran into this problem a lot. I forget which of the films it was, the one with the 'pencil scene?' But we had a lot of parents coming out of the theater with crying kids, asking for refunds, despite the fact it was a PG-13 film. But it was Batman, so I guess they thought it would be two hours of Adam West dancing or something? Who knows.
    Oh wow. Seriously?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

That was the second one. So presumably they saw the first one, which to be fair, didn't have anyone jamming a pencil in someone's eye.

More realistically, though, they misgauged how their kids would react to it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #246

Oh come on, what kid doesnt enjoy magic tricks? TA DAAAH!!!

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Then again there were probably as many if not more kids under 17 who were brought by a family member to Joker, Deadpool, the Dark Knight etc. and who really enjoyed it and find the rating system an overprotective joke.

and some of those kids may have even been under 13 (but probably fewer of them proportionally)

They just don't make much noise about it and thus don't get much attention.

so its about understanding YOUR kid.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2019-10-26 at 02:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Late to the party but I finally saw Joker.

Spoiler: Comments on specific scenes
    Show
    Adding the killing of Bruce’s parents to the end felt almost unnecessary. It kinda made sense considering the role the older Wayne played in the story, but especially the scene in the end showing Bruce looking over his dead parents felt unnecessary.

Overall I liked that the story was made sufficiently ambiguous. The only clearly marked delusion was the girl, but one could interpreted the whole movie as a delusion from inside the ward, and it does not diminish the story, because it is equally possible that everything happened and he was institutionalized only after the events.

Really liked how they manage to make the character interesting without making him sympathetic. And how they managed to take Joker, an extremely cartoonish character, and make him really believable.

Phoenix was great in the role. In the end when he is dancing and moving around as proto-Joker, I felt that his movements gave very much Michael Jacksonish vibe, for good or ill.

Definitely a movie that does not need a sequel but Batman born out of this story could be interesting take.

[ADDITION]
    Also the pacing of the movie was nice surprise. Giving the characters enough time to shine
    Last edited by Noldo; 2019-11-08 at 08:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249

I'll go further: not only does this movie not really need a sequel, I need a sequel would detract from it, unless they went in a really unexpected direction.
    I mean, where does this joker even go. He doesn't seem to have much of a plan, or an ideology and he's not really a leader, either. The crowd just sort of moves in the same direction as him, they wouldn't form his gang.

Edit: okay, actually, that's not the worst idea to explore: people trying to make this Joker into some kind of symbol for their movement and being disappointed.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2019-11-08 at 07:40 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    He doesn't seem to have much of a plan, or an ideology and he's not really a leader, either.
    Obligatory quote: "Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"

What if they did it like Telltale Games? Harley Quinn is the one with experience running a gang, and realizing Mister J's artistic visions. Though the game inverted their relationship, at least at first: "Do us a favor Pud', skip over to that bodega and get me a slushy."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Huh... Despite all the media hate, Joker is now the most profitable comic book movie ever. That's quite impressive, actually.
    Homebrew Stuff:

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Huh... Despite all the media hate, Joker is now the most profitable comic book movie ever. That's quite impressive, actually.
    If by profit you only include how much it made past its own budget. Its one of those fun ways statistics are interesting. Basically, it made like 16x its budget back which is way more than any comic movie has done, even if its total sales havent surpassed a few of the blockbusters. But again, said blockbusters cost like 10x as much to make and market so while still highly profitable, they dont compare to that level of profit. Its similar to adam sandler flicks. Even at their most reviled, they were still profitable, often making 2-3x their budget back. Not because they were secretly great films everyone watched but were scared to admit, but because they were dirt cheap productions and could have turned a profit if they only ever turned up in walmart bargain bins.

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    If by profit you only include how much it made past its own budget. Its one of those fun ways statistics are interesting. Basically, it made like 16x its budget back which is way more than any comic movie has done, even if its total sales havent surpassed a few of the blockbusters. But again, said blockbusters cost like 10x as much to make and market so while still highly profitable, they dont compare to that level of profit. Its similar to adam sandler flicks. Even at their most reviled, they were still profitable, often making 2-3x their budget back. Not because they were secretly great films everyone watched but were scared to admit, but because they were dirt cheap productions and could have turned a profit if they only ever turned up in walmart bargain bins.
    If we get as many Joker-esque movies as we did Adam Sandler movies, I'll call that a win.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Critical dislike probably helped market it if anything.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    If by profit you only include how much it made past its own budget. Its one of those fun ways statistics are interesting. Basically, it made like 16x its budget back which is way more than any comic movie has done, even if its total sales havent surpassed a few of the blockbusters. But again, said blockbusters cost like 10x as much to make and market so while still highly profitable, they dont compare to that level of profit. (...)
    That's why I said "most profitable ", not "made most the most money in raw numbers".

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I hope so. Hopefully it encourages at least some of the media to avoid baseless hatred and fear-mongering in the future.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-11-09 at 05:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256

I hope so. Hopefully it encourages at least some of the media to avoid baseless hatred and fear-mongering in the future.
    Doubtful. To paraphrase, society advances one funeral at a time.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Doubtful. To paraphrase, society advances one funeral at a time.
    Therefore we optimize the number of funerals, so it advances faster right?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I think that's about the fastest an idea got completely away from where I wanted it.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

I think that's about the fastest an idea got completely away from where I wanted it.
    Thank you, thank you, I try. *bow, bow*

I know what you meant, but pithy lines like that can be taken all sorts of ways and I like taking them to faraway places. Be careful.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    It's good for the environment too :P

Maybe we get Poison Ivy that takes this approach. Prevent climate change, one funeral at the time.
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-11-10 at 05:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

That's why I said "most profitable ", not "made most the most money in raw numbers"
    Why is profitable looked at this way for movies? Shouldn’t the profit be the total amount made minus the total amount spent? Like it is for any other businesses profits for the year?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Say, does anyone know WHY it's being set in 1981? There has to be some significant reason why they're going through the effort and extra cost of making a period film rather than a contemporary one.
    I don't know if this got fully answered, but this is a combination of '80s NY fitting their vision of Gotham, the '80s being distant from ongoing canon, and - perhaps most importantly - the '80s being a dire time for mental healthcare in the US, as a combination of political factors led the US to go from crappy and abuse-prone mental institutions to no mental institutions. It's a good period in which to set a piece in part about poisonous social attitudes towards mental disability.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    I don't know if this got fully answered, but this is a combination of '80s NY fitting their vision of Gotham, the '80s being distant from ongoing canon, and - perhaps most importantly - the '80s being a dire time for mental healthcare in the US, as a combination of political factors led the US to go from crappy and abuse-prone mental institutions to no mental institutions. It's a good period in which to set a piece in part about poisonous social attitudes towards mental disability.
    Also, the movie is deliberately invoking King of Comedy, which is from the early '80s.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Firbolg in the Playground

What "media hate?" What critical dislike? 69% of professional film critics gave it a positive review. The reviews are mixed, leaning positive. We've had examples of comic book movies that were critically panned: Batman vs Superman (28%), Suicide Squad (27%), Fantastic Four (9%). Joker was not hated by most critics. It didn't recieve the overwhelming praise that some other comic book movies have gotten (Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Black Panther, Endgame, Into the Spiderverse), but that doesn't mean all or even most critics disliked it.

It's still impressive that it managed such a high return on investment, but the critical reception doesn't seem to have had much to do with that one way or the other.

Also, I think the phrase you are looking for is "highest return on investment," not "most profitable." Return on investment is the ratio between the revenue and the cost, whereas profit is the difference between them.
    ...What? Fear mongering? It's a movie. Some people like it. Some people don't.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    What "media hate?"
    Example.
    Wheeeeee!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

I wonder if studio created an artificial controversy to market the movie. I have a friend who claims this was done for the 2016 Ghostbusters movie.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

When the general media does its best to convince us that the movie will "radicalize young white men" and that there'll probably be mass shootings and "incel violence" in Joker screenings, I call that fear-mongering.

Wheter or not Warner planned it (in this particular case, I don't think so, at least not at first), it doesn't chanhe the fact that there was a lot of undeserved negative publicity for this film... At one point there was even a suggestion that people shouldn't see it because "it's probably giving money to a convicted pedophile" (apparently the composer of one the sTurnsis in jail for that. Turns out he isn't making any money out of the movie... And even if he were, what's the solution here? Check the backgrounds of every one involved in the production of a film before deciding to watch it?).
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-11-11 at 10:06 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268

When the general media does its best to convince us that the movie will "radicalize young white men" and that there'll probably be mass shootings and "incel violence" in Joker screenings, I call that fear-mongering.
    Considering the power media has in general, I sincerely doubt that the ones reporting on it with that take has "done its best" to convince anyone. Especially with the "convincing" is "accurately reporting that the military and other officials have put out statements to that effect.

If you have any issues with that reporting, you should take it up with the people and organizations actually claiming it, not the media for accurately reporting on it. You're shooting the messenger.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Considering the power media has in general, I sincerely doubt that the ones reporting on it with that take has "done its best" to convince anyone. Especially with the "convincing" is "accurately reporting that the military and other officials have put out statements to that effect.

If you have any issues with that reporting, you should take it up with the people and organizations actually claiming it, not the media for accurately reporting on it. You're shooting the messenger.
    I suppose I should've specified "an specific part of media, which does include much of the so-called 'access media' and many 'professional' criitics".

And I suppose "doing its best" might be an exaggeration, as it usually is. Perhaps "put a lot of effort, for reasons completely unrelated to the actual merits of the film".
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-11-11 at 10:12 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270

I suppose I should've specified "an specific part of media, which does include much of the so-called 'access media' and many 'professional' criitics".

And I suppose "doing its best" might be an exaggeration, as it usually is. Perhaps "put a lot of effort, for reasons completely unrelated to the actual merits of the film".
    I may have come off a bit too strongly there also; while it was accurate reporting ("X has put out a statement that saying Y"), I also do think it was pretty lazy reporting in that they saw it as an easy way to get clicks and reads. Internet-age journalism definitely has a long way to go and is riddled with problems.