The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 231
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    We probably still have twenty-ish strips of concluding all the current plot, setting up the situation for the next book, and giving us an end-of-book twist.
    We have eight or nine pages left, given the numbers Rich gave us.

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I doubt it. Presumably they moved back to the temple to make the next couple of winding-down strips work better, this strip doesn't feel like a good "end of book" strip to me.
    It's not the end of the book, it's the end of this Round (i.e., chapter).

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Elan and "genius" are two words I never expected to see juxtaposed in this comic.
    Ever Google "Jar Jar, you're a genius!"? Context changes many things.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Yeah I know that.



    Sounds plausible but we don't know for certain as far as I can see.
    No, we don't know for certain, but why on Earth would they leave it behind? We don't see every little thing the characters do, and it makes a lot more sense to assume they will not do things like "leave valuable equipment behind for no reason."

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Reasons to love this strip:

    1. Jenna in the spotlight. Nice.
    2. The last panel. That got a big old grin out of me.

    Thanks, Giant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Great comic
    To quote an episode of Doctor Who, "Dear God there's three of them, all my worst nightmares at once"

    Looking forward to seeing this arc wrap up.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    gatemansgc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    NJ (right next to philly)

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    i like how the dwarf bards have a different style of bardic song of freedom than elan does.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.


    ^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ratfox View Post
    "Certified bardic genius"
    What I want to know is who is issuing those certificates? A Certificate of Bardic Genius seems too advanced to have picked up at Bard Camp.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    gatemansgc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    NJ (right next to philly)

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    wait, did the bards leave the hammer of thunderbolts at the council when they brought durkon back to the temple?
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.


    ^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Yeah I know that.



    Sounds plausible but we don't know for certain as far as I can see.
    If the hammer got forgotten, Durkon can just swing by to pick it up or ask someone to fetch it. It's within the city limits, not on the bottom of some uncharted mountain valley.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mad Humanist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Disunited Kingdom
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    ... it makes a lot more sense to assume they will not do things like "leave valuable equipment behind for no reason."
    How long have you been reading the comic?
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick


  10. - Top - End - #70
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    wait, did the bards leave the hammer of thunderbolts at the council when they brought durkon back to the temple?
    Highly unlikely, I think it's just out of frame because there's no need to show it.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    ... it makes a lot more sense to assume they will not do things like "leave valuable equipment behind for no reason."
    How long have you been reading the comic?
    A Durkon-related case in point from fifteen(!) years ago.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Angband's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Highly unlikely, I think it's just out of frame because there's no need to show it.
    I think they must have left the hammer lying in the council room, because you need special gloves to be able to safely hold it, and they couldn't get the gloves off of Durkon's petrified form.
    Self portrait: @

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Crœsos View Post
    A Durkon-related case in point from fifteen(!) years ago.
    An excellent point; I doubt this would be re-hashed, since we've already seen it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angband View Post
    I think they must have left the hammer lying in the council room, because you need special gloves to be able to safely hold it
    Source?
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crœsos View Post
    A Durkon-related case in point from fifteen(!) years ago.
    An excellent point; I doubt this would be re-hashed, since we've already seen it before.
    Plus we've had the "party's much stronger/more competent now than when we started out" declaration recently.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's his most famous one, but I'm a sucker for anything by Christopher Guest.
    See now, that sounds like it was meant to clear the confusion but it did not.
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    While I don’t think it beats <a href=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0890.html> Elan’s country music Song of Freedom </a> (which, in my opinion, is a serious contender for the funniest single panel in the entire strip), that hippie song of freedom panel was pretty sweet. I like how Rich is giving us some genre clues for how these songs actually sound.

    Edit: Forgive my ignorance, but how do I link comics? The forum rules don’t say how. I’m on mobile right now, if that matters.
    On computer you can click on the link button just under the text color one and past the url there. On moblile, you have to type [url="url here"]"text here"[/url] yourself.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Source?
    There were gloves inside the case with the hammer and it is constantly cracking with elictricity.
    But then again maybe V prepared Bugsby's Artifact-Retrieving Hand this morning.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    warmachine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Reading, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    The dwarven bards must have used Song of Freedom, making them at least 12th level. That level is supposed to be rare. Sidgi must have called in a lot of favours to get those kind of reinforcements.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Elan being called a genius......
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    The dwarven bards must have used Song of Freedom, making them at least 12th level. That level is supposed to be rare. Sidgi must have called in a lot of favours to get those kind of reinforcements.
    It's not a favour if it's her family.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2015

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    On computer you can click on the link button just under the text color one and past the url there. On moblile, you have to type [url="url here"]"text here"[/url] yourself

    Thanks, Fyraltari! But it still doesn’t seem to work. It displays link-text formatting, but it links to a “server not available page” regardless of whether I include the http:// or not. Do you know what’s up with that?
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chasing my dreams.

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Durkon can just call the hammer to himself. Recall the fight with the worm?

    Also it could double as a nod to a few cinematic movies where a titular character’s hammer flies to him from a long distance (sometimes with a punchline involved)
    Last edited by Rezby; 2019-09-03 at 12:42 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    We probably still have twenty-ish strips of concluding all the current plot, setting up the situation for the next book, and giving us an end-of-book twist.
    Put me down a half-dozen or fewer strips left. The book is supposed to arrive at Ookoodook 12/2, and printing is not a terribly quick process, so I'd imagine it needs to be completely by some point next month (and probably not the end) at the latest. If we end up with one strip a week, that really doesn't allow many more strips before the book needs to be done. Of course Rich could pile up a cache of strips, but even in that case he presumably wants to finish online before the book is released. 20 strips would take us into next year, unless the posting pace is much higher than we're used to (I wouldn't complain, but that seems like an unfair expectation.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There were gloves inside the case with the hammer and it is constantly cracking with elictricity.
    But then again maybe V prepared Bugsby's Artifact-Retrieving Hand this morning.
    In most respects it appears to function like the Hammer of Thunderbolts minor artifact, which doesn't require any special handling. The gloves (Gauntlets of Ogre Power) and belt (Belt of Giant Strength) are needed to use all of its powers, but there isn't anything to suggest they're required just to move it around.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    Thanks, Fyraltari! But it still doesn’t seem to work. It displays link-text formatting, but it links to a “server not available page” regardless of whether I include the http:// or not. Do you know what’s up with that?
    I know there's a pre-requisite, not sure if a certain forum-member time or a certain number of publications, for linking. At least, I remember there was something along those lines some time ago.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    Edit: Forgive my ignorance, but how do I link comics? The forum rules don’t say how. I’m on mobile right now, if that matters.
    Edit 2: Thanks, Fyraltari. But it still doesn’t seem to work. It displays link-text formatting, but it links to a “server not available page” regardless of whether I include the http:// or not. Do you know what’s up with that?
    An easier way may be to use the buttons in the toolbars above the text box. The globe with the lemniscate is the hyperlink button, so you can highlight text, hit the button, paste the link, and it'll do it for you.

    Also, keep in mind if you do it manually, the quotation marks are important in the URL field but not in the text field. Like this:

    [URL="testurl"]test text[/URL]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    See now, that sounds like it was meant to clear the confusion but it did not.
    *sigh*
    Christopher Guest is a filmmaker and actor (and an absolutely genius one, IMO). He specializes in mockumentaries, and This is Spinal Tap is one of his most famous movies; it is about the US tour of a fictional heavy metal band in the '80s, at the height of popularity of the genre. It is especially notable for numerous professional musicians commenting on how accurate certain parts were, despite being played facetiously, as well as several catastrophes happening during the concerts on film actually happening to real life bands (such as U2 and Ozzy Osbourne) later on.

    ETA: Oh, also for the three main band members actually writing the songs and playing the instruments to all the band's songs in the movie. Really talented guys.

    It's exceptionally good, I highly recommend it. Doubly so if you can manage to get the DVD, as the main castmembers do the audio commentary in character, so it's effectively like having a whole second movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There were gloves inside the case with the hammer and it is constantly cracking with elictricity.
    But then again maybe V prepared Bugsby's Artifact-Retrieving Hand this morning.
    That doesn't mean it needs the gloves to be held, though. In fact, since it seems to be largely based on the Hammer of Thunderbolts, it very likely does not need the gloves, the gloves merely (well, "merely") provide other benefits.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-03 at 12:56 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Elan's humility is refreshing.

    With every new page I am torn between my love of the dwarves and my anxiety to see the rest of the story. I could spend another rl year or two in Firmament and be content, but I am dying to see what comes next.

    Which Marvel Universe has two more years of Durkon's family? I want to go there!

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    Thanks, Fyraltari! But it still doesn’t seem to work. It displays link-text formatting, but it links to a “server not available page” regardless of whether I include the http:// or not. Do you know what’s up with that?
    Nope. I never had a problem with it. I recommend asking in the "Board/Site Issue" subforum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    *sigh*
    Christopher Guest is a filmmaker and actor (and an absolutely genius one, IMO). He specializes in mockumentaries, and This is Spinal Tap is one of his most famous movies; it is about the US tour of a fictional heavy metal band in the '80s, at the height of popularity of the genre. It is especially notable for numerous professional musicians commenting on how accurate certain parts were, despite being played facetiously, as well as several catastrophes happening during the concerts on film actually happening to real life bands (such as U2 and Ozzy Osbourne) later on.

    ETA: Oh, also for the three main band members actually writing the songs and playing the instruments to all the band's songs in the movie. Really talented guys.

    It's exceptionally good, I highly recommend it. Doubly so if you can manage to get the DVD, as the main castmembers do the audio commentary in character, so it's effectively like having a whole second movie.
    Ah yes, that explains why I've never heard of him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That doesn't mean it needs the gloves to be held, though. In fact, since it seems to be largely based on the Hammer of Thunderbolts, it very likely does not need the gloves, the gloves merely (well, "merely") provide other benefits.
    Look, if you want to handle electrical stuff without protective gear, I'll be ready to call the fire department but I won't help you. Nobody there would know for sure it's safe to touch is what I'm saying.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-03 at 01:57 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Ah yes, that explains why I've never heard of him.
    Imean, to be fair, a huge number of Americans haven't heard of him (at least outside of Spinal Tap, and for a lot of people even then). I think he's kind of similar to Albert Brooks; absolute comedic geniuses who have made several brilliant, hilarious movies, but are still criminally underrated and the movies never gained as much popularity as I think they should have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Look if you want to handle elecrtical stuff without protective gear, I'll be ready to call the fire department but I won't help you. Nobody there would know for sure it's safe to touch is what I'm saying.
    Holding an item that can deliver an effect to others hit with it aren't necessarily affected by that effect themselves. In fact, that's almost antithetical to most magic items; if Elan had grabbed the Rod of Enervation from Nale, I doubt he'd be level drained from just holding it, Haley doesn't fly or constantly heal from holding her wands, Lawful Roy would likely suffer no ill effects if he grabbed Elan's Chaos Saber, etc. etc.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    That was adorable, Giant.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    littlebum2002's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    So...I'm guessing this is the end of the round? Quick! To the OotS by Page count thread!

    Love the bards' admiration of Elan!

    Thanks, Rich!
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Good to see Elan being appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Elan gets some respect, maybe he and Haley will retire to the dwarven lands to be with those who respect him (and she who Haley respects).
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Elan and "genius" are two words I never expected to see juxtaposed in this comic.
    I mean we usually see Elan through the lens of the rest of the Order who, apart from Haley, don't really respect his talent. But remember, Elan is at least level 15, and he may even be 16 since other members of the Order are. That's REALLY high level. In DStP, they spent months looking for a level 13 cleric who could cast Resurrection to no avail.

    There is a very good possibility that Elan is the highest level cleric bard in the world. Even if he isn't, he is definitely in the running. It is no surprise that he is considered a genius in his craft.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    On computer you can click on the link button just under the text color one and past the url there. On moblile, you have to type [url="url here"]"text here"[/url] yourself.
    I think there is also a way to specifically link to strips of the comic, but I don't know what it is
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2019-09-03 at 01:36 PM.
    Avatar by Gurgleflep

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Elan getting to interact with fellow bards is definitely one of those things I never knew I needed until I actually saw it.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.


    Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •