New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    It's possible, seeing as Clan Thundershield looks like an adventuring guild more than a family of commoners, Squeaky and Janna could've clocked in enough gig time to get to 12th level. After all, Clan Thundershield has more reason than any other dwarven group not to sit around being dishonorable; they're descended from Helheim escapees.
    Frickin' ninja'd. Yeah, these guys are gonna go hardcore after their escape.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Looks like Durkon can keep on rockin’ in the free world.
    We've gotten Elan's country-song freedom and Thirden and Janna's protest-rock freedom. I hope the next Song of Freedom we get is based on George Michael's "Freedom! '90".

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    We've gotten Elan's country-song freedom and Thirden and Janna's protest-rock freedom. I hope the next Song of Freedom we get is based on George Michael's "Freedom! '90".
    Spoiler: I must respectfully disagree.
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Elan is the best

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no...Richie Havens to honor the 50th anniversary of Woodstock Rockstock... "FREEDOM"!

"We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Yeah...
    That's Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    I was successfully repressing the memory of the tragic loss of Ronnie Van Zant until now. Darn you, now I have to listen to Freebird on a 24 hour loop again!

Also, +1 to Aretha's R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for the next time a Song of Freedom is needed.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    In that case, Sidgi would have brought it.
    That would depend on who qualifies as "worthy". It might mean "an Nth-level cleric of Thor", or "personally approved by Thor".

Am I correct in thinking that the Song of Freedom could be used to restore Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Headcanon: Thirden and Janna's lutes have the inscription: "This Machine Does 4d8 Damage To Lawful Evil"
    Persona: Gotta Summon Em All

The cake is not a lie. It's a funeral cake, for your funeral.
    "You will be baked... and then there will be cake"- GLaDOS.

Technically a professional game designer. Have RPGMaker, will collab.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    That would depend on who qualifies as "worthy". It might mean "an Nth-level cleric of Thor", or "personally approved by Thor".

Am I correct in thinking that the Song of Freedom could be used to restore Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator?
    Apropos of nothing, but I love the username/avatar combo you're rocking.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Angband View Post
    I think they must have left the hammer lying in the council room, because you need special gloves to be able to safely hold it, and they couldn't get the gloves off of Durkon's petrified form.
    It seems to me that the hammer wouldn't have been left behind if there was any possible way to bring it -- it got a lot of attention, and isn't likely to have slipped everyone's mind. Unless it could only be moved by wearing those specific gloves, there should have been some way to manipulate it: some kind of levitation, some other gloves, throw a cloak over it, ... .

I suppose it could have a "nobody can lift it unless they are worthy" enchantment.
    I can't imagine that Roy et al would have let them move Durkon all the way back to the Temple on Elan's say-so based on Bardic Arguments if the hammer could not also be moved.

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Elan getting to interact with fellow bards is definitely one of those things I never knew I needed until I actually saw it.
    Me too! I am hoping for bonus comics where they all hang out.

I'm also sad that we already have all of the wallpapers, because I'd love a Freedom series...maybe that'll be a Gumroad thing someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    To say nothing of when he was awarded the Silver Dragon of Greendragonsville for his prowess with skiing on the White Dragon of Greendragonsville slopes.

Are we out of Dragons?
    As long as you're willing to drag out obscure supplements and/or Dragon Magazine, we will NEVER run out of dragons...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    The dwarven bards must have used Song of Freedom, making them at least 12th level. That level is supposed to be rare. Sidgi must have called in a lot of favours to get those kind of reinforcements.
    You mean like paying to resurrect one of the bards and saving his soul from Hel in the price? Because that is a difficult to impossible favour to repay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezby View Post
    Durkon can just call the hammer to himself. Recall the fight with the worm?

Also it could double as a nod to a few cinematic movies where a titular character’s hammer flies to him from a long distance (sometimes with a punchline involved)
    Maybe this is how Curly dies?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Apropos of nothing, but I love the username/avatar combo you're rocking.
    Thank you! I've used the handle for a long time (though not much here), but the avatar is new. While I was reading some old forum stuff, I decided that I should try my hand at making my own avatar, and I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

I hope I'm not the only person who completely and utterly overlooked the contents of the background in the Song of Freedom panel until they were pointed out in this thread.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    How many bards in OOTS-world could live up to that, though?

15. - Top - End - #165

How many bards in OOTS-world could live up to that, though?
    Surely in the entire world there's a couple dozen epic level bards such that they could re-create the Blues Brothers movie. All they need is Matt Lute Murphy, Donald Dire Duck Dunn, Wille Too High AC Hall, Steve the Colonel of the EOB Cropper, Tom Bones & Other Spell Components Malone, Azurite Lou Marini, Alan Mr. Fabulous Dice Rolls Rubin, and Murph and the Arcane Magictones. Plus a handful or two of guest stars, like Scorching Ray Charles.

Is that too much to ask?

16. - Top - End - #166

This leads me to wonder: How high could a Halfling with a +20 Ring of Jumping carry a small lizard? How much damage would an allosaurus, dropped from that height, do to someone underneath?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Elan is a "certified bardic genius." That is awesome. Hope that they get something, like a Heroes' Feast, to combat the disease that they picked up during their adventures in the South.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Surely in the entire world there's a couple dozen epic level bards such that they could re-create the Blues Brothers movie. All they need is Matt Lute Murphy, Donald Dire Duck Dunn, Wille Too High AC Hall, Steve the Colonel of the EOB Cropper, Tom Bones & Other Spell Components Malone, Azurite Lou Marini, Alan Mr. Fabulous Dice Rolls Rubin, and Murph and the Arcane Magictones. Plus a handful or two of guest stars, like Scorching Ray Charles.

Is that too much to ask?
    In a world where Elan is a "certified bardic genius" (which, still, love it, one of my favorite aside punchlines to the comic ever, and one that made me realize we never have seen how Elan with his fellow bards and how he would be regarded by them), I'm not sure a couple dozen epic-level bards are in supply.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Approved. After all, Durkon is on a mission from Thor.

EDIT:

mjasghar, if you want to reply to someone but nobody has posted since you last did I recommend clicking on "quote", typing your answer and then checking the thread. If there is still no new post, then edit your last post and paste your reply in it.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-04 at 03:10 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

I do love me some Freedom.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

So what happened to Durkons hammer? Where is it now?

22. - Top - End - #172

Lizardfolk

Freedom!!!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Is that too much to ask?
    There are 106 miles to the north pole, the Mechane's got a full balloon of helium, there is half a ration of holy ale, it's underground and Blackwing's wearing sunglasses.

24. - Top - End - #174

But uh... would you want to do that right now? Like I know Bloodfeast should be restored, but not on the Mechane, you have to wait until we reach the North Pole and whip him out of the pokeball going “Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator! I choose you!”

25. - Top - End - #175
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

How long will it be before the Certified Bardic Genius T-Shirt and coffee mugs are on sale

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

That made me realize that the polymorph was acually a good thing in the long run, as they would never have been able to transport him to the ship, and fly with him on board with his original form

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    That made me realize that the polymorph was acually a good thing in the long run, as they would never have been able to transport him to the ship, and fly with him on board with his original form
    And it’s easily reversible because V has polymorph, so Belkar on Bloodfeast can fight Oona on Lancer in the final battle.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Well, that answers that mystery. Song of Freedom breaks the domination and the stoning, so Durkon's free to continue his adventure. And that is pretty much the end of the chapter and the story. Looking forward to what comes next!

ETA: I had anticipated it would be more difficult to break the spell of the barriers, but I suppose the security system relies on the fact that any use of magic when the barriers are active will also result in petrification. Actually, I wonder if bardic song counts as "magical" for the purpose of the barrier in the first place?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-09-04 at 07:53 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Elan IS an experienced bard.

Also, getting him out of the meeting room was a good move to be sure he wouldn't be re=stone, since the meeting was not adjourned, as they said. Better safe than sorry.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I had anticipated it would be more difficult to break the spell of the barriers, but I suppose the security system relies on the fact that any use of magic when the barriers are active will also result in petrification. Actually, I wonder if bardic song counts as "magical" for the purpose of the barrier in the first place?
    Since the petrification only lasts until the meeting is adjourned anyway it is just a temporary containment measure until the proper authorities can decide on an appropriate punishment if needed so it makes sense that it isn't a uber-powerful effect.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.