The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 231
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Just a quick thought; what if the reason for the orange-blue gap is because of the stoning?
    Like an Elder inadvertently breaks dwarven law and gets stoned, for some trivial reason like pouring the milk first when making tea. Rather than stop the whole meeting, the council wheel the offender past the blue barrier so the cleric can break enchantment or whatever. Because the offender didn't pass the orange barrier they don't count as having left the meeting or having their vote annulled, and after the brief recess the dwarf is free to return to the meeting, assuming they learn to put the tea-bag in first.
    The UK doesn't have a US style Constitution, but if we get round to writing one, Tea-bag First will be in the top five Amendments.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Please don't reference old Allman Brothers tunes. Duane's death is still too recent.
    That lyric is from Sweet Home Alabama, by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Ronnie van Zandt's death in a plane crash was a bit over 40 years ago. Duane died in a motorcycle crash at a crossroad some years before that. Sweet Melissa still makes me cry.

    (FWIW, I saw a Skynyrd concert about five years ago where Johnnie led the band whose only original member, Rossington, was still playing guitar).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    There are 106 miles to the north pole, the Mechane's got a full balloon of helium, there is half a ration of holy ale, it's underground and Blackwing's wearing sunglasses.
    Wins thread.
    PS: who has the pack of smokes?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-09-04 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Heh, someone mentioned it on TvTropes, but Jenna and Thirden have hippie outfits because Durkon was "stoned".
    Awesome custom psywar avatar made by Coronalwave. Thanks dude!

    Most of my old signature has been moved to the new extended signature.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    redemedic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Help, I'm Lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    I still live. This comic helps me go from day to day. "I can't die today! What if Rich posts another strip tomorrow?"

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by redemedic View Post
    I still live. This comic helps me go from day to day. "I can't die today! What if Rich posts another strip tomorrow?"
    I'm not joking, you might want to talk to a therapist.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of stuff View Post
    So what happened to Durkon's hammer? Where is it now?
    Presumably in the hands of whoever picked it up. There's only about thirty characters not in scene.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    No, no...Richie Havens to honor the 50th anniversary of Woodstock Rockstock... "FREEDOM"!

    That's what I thought of immediately too. Great song. FREEDOM!

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    New comic is up.
    Erm... Apparently it is and I'm guessing the Song of Freedom is featured, but...

    For some reason, I can't view -any- image files on the site at all. Any guesses as to why that is? Been like that since the newest comic popped up. (And no, I still haven't had a chance to read it myself. Hence the guess about SoF.)

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    Also - gotta love the quick-change rocker clothes for the song. Is there a specific band he's parodying?
    I think itís a parody of the ďFreedom RockĒ commercials from the 80s.

    Iíll see if I can pull up a YouTube link...

    Edit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eGWW8KOQio
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-09-04 at 12:54 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarjei View Post
    Erm... Apparently it is and I'm guessing the Song of Freedom is featured, but...

    For some reason, I can't view -any- image files on the site at all. Any guesses as to why that is? Been like that since the newest comic popped up. (And no, I still haven't had a chance to read it myself. Hence the guess about SoF.)
    Probably better to ask in the Board Issues forum.

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Breccia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Thor knows you was just a young dwarf,
    Didn't know what you wanted to doooooooo
    You were every one-armed ma's pride and joy,
    And I guess it was enough for you
    To join the church? Thrown out in the lurch?
    Brand new armor and a quest to search
    For a lich with a fighter huuuuu....
    (...man)

    But today the way you played the game was not the same,
    No way!
    And we got to get you freeeeeeeeeeeee!

    I think there's something that you know,
    I think there's a path you had to show,
    There's something deep inside of you,
    There's rules you stuck to true,
    Take back your flesh from petrify,
    Take back your hammer from the sky,

    While the laws should always be spoken,
    Sometimes, like ceilings, they have to be broken!

    All we have to dooooo, now,
    Is take these stone and make you move, somehow.
    All we have to tellllllll,
    Is that you belong to Thor, and you don't belong to Hel!
    Yeah yeah!

    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    We gotta sing it for Durkon's sake!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    We gotta sing it for Durkon's sake!

    That's what you get!
    That's what you get!
    That's what you...what?

    No.

    ...don't let the sun go down, Loki?

    No.

    Careless whiskers?

    We are done here.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Thor knows you was just a young dwarf,
    Didn't know what you wanted to doooooooo
    You were every one-armed ma's pride and joy,
    And I guess it was enough for you
    To join the church? Thrown out in the lurch?
    Brand new armor and a quest to search
    For a lich with a fighter huuuuu....
    (...man)

    But today the way you played the game was not the same,
    No way!
    And we got to get you freeeeeeeeeeeee!

    I think there's something that you know,
    I think there's a path you had to show,
    There's something deep inside of you,
    There's rules you stuck to true,
    Take back your flesh from petrify,
    Take back your hammer from the sky,

    While the laws should always be spoken,
    Sometimes, like ceilings, they have to be broken!

    All we have to dooooo, now,
    Is take these stone and make you move, somehow.
    All we have to tellllllll,
    Is that you belong to Thor, and you don't belong to Hel!
    Yeah yeah!

    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    We gotta sing it for Durkon's sake!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    We gotta sing it for Durkon's sake!

    That's what you get!
    That's what you get!
    That's what you...what?

    No.

    ...don't let the sun go down, Loki?

    No.

    Careless whiskers?

    We are done here.
    ...
    Beautiful. Just...so...beautiful
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    See, Peelee, Breccia gets it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of stuff View Post
    So what happened to Durkons hammer? Where is it now?
    Hammerspace, obviously.

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    IS THAT FREEDOM ROCK?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    See, Peelee, Breccia gets it.
    You better think, think about what you're trying to do to me. Yeah, think. Let your mind go, let yourself be free.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-04 at 08:01 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Thor knows you was just a young dwarf,
    Didn't know what you wanted to doooooooo
    You were every one-armed ma's pride and joy,
    And I guess it was enough for you
    To join the church? Thrown out in the lurch?
    Brand new armor and a quest to search
    For a lich with a fighter huuuuu....
    (...man)

    But today the way you played the game was not the same,
    No way!
    And we got to get you freeeeeeeeeeeee!

    I think there's something that you know,
    I think there's a path you had to show,
    There's something deep inside of you,
    There's rules you stuck to true,
    Take back your flesh from petrify,
    Take back your hammer from the sky,

    While the laws should always be spoken,
    Sometimes, like ceilings, they have to be broken!

    All we have to dooooo, now,
    Is take these stone and make you move, somehow.
    All we have to tellllllll,
    Is that you belong to Thor, and you don't belong to Hel!
    Yeah yeah!

    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    We gotta sing it for Durkon's sake!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    We gotta sing it for Durkon's sake!

    That's what you get!
    That's what you get!
    That's what you...what?

    No.

    ...don't let the sun go down, Loki?

    No.

    Careless whiskers?

    We are done here.
    To its (il)logical conclusion ... impressive. Most impressive.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Wizard_Lizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The material plane (duh?)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Thor knows you was just a young dwarf,
    Didn't know what you wanted to doooooooo
    You were every one-armed ma's pride and joy,
    And I guess it was enough for you
    To join the church? Thrown out in the lurch?
    Brand new armor and a quest to search
    For a lich with a fighter huuuuu....
    (...man)

    But today the way you played the game was not the same,
    No way!
    And we got to get you freeeeeeeeeeeee!

    I think there's something that you know,
    I think there's a path you had to show,
    There's something deep inside of you,
    There's rules you stuck to true,
    Take back your flesh from petrify,
    Take back your hammer from the sky,

    While the laws should always be spoken,
    Sometimes, like ceilings, they have to be broken!

    All we have to dooooo, now,
    Is take these stone and make you move, somehow.
    All we have to tellllllll,
    Is that you belong to Thor, and you don't belong to Hel!
    Yeah yeah!

    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    We gotta sing it for Durkon's sake!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    Freedom!
    We gotta sing it for Durkon's sake!

    That's what you get!
    That's what you get!
    That's what you...what?

    No.

    ...don't let the sun go down, Loki?

    No.

    Careless whiskers?

    We are done here.
    I... I have no words...
    Current characters:
    Drakirr (Blue Dragonborn Warlock)
    Alyfyldyr Hyalythki (Rock Gnome Wizard)
    Harilidir (Half-elf Bard)
    Kazaharad Akaztkl (Goliath Barbarian)
    Luft (air-genasi druid)
    And of course Lizard Wizard (Lizardfolk Sorcerer)

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Just a quick thought; what if the reason for the orange-blue gap is because of the stoning?
    Like an Elder inadvertently breaks dwarven law and gets stoned, for some trivial reason like pouring the milk first when making tea. Rather than stop the whole meeting, the council wheel the offender past the blue barrier so the cleric can break enchantment or whatever. Because the offender didn't pass the orange barrier they don't count as having left the meeting or having their vote annulled, and after the brief recess the dwarf is free to return to the meeting, assuming they learn to put the tea-bag in first.
    The UK doesn't have a US style Constitution, but if we get round to writing one, Tea-bag First will be in the top five Amendments.
    I guess, drinking tea instead of beer would be against the law as well...

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Wins thread.
    PS: who has the pack of smokes?
    Thanks. ^^
    I thought hard on the smokes, but no major character who was shown smoking came to my mind.
    Lien smoked in the Gdgu, but she's not around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Hammerspace, obviously.
    So, when is the hammer?

    Edit : most favorite discussion thread, ever!
    Last edited by Jannoire; 2019-09-05 at 03:14 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jwhouk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    STOP!



    ...Hammer time.


    (Dohm-da-da-dom, da-dom, da-dom) "Can't touch this..."
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    Thanks. ^^
    I thought hard on the smokes, but no major character who was shown smoking came to my mind.
    Lien smoked in the Gdgu, but she's not around.
    Curly smoked away.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Curly smoked away.
    Curly the Vampire who war running away from Hilgya? (So "smoked" means going into mist form? )
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Curly the Vampire who war running away from Hilgya? (So "smoked" means going into mist form? )
    Eh, itís close enough for me to make a joke about it.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Eh, itís close enough for me to make a joke about it.
    Just noted the white text ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    bunsen_h's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Curly the Vampire who war running away from Hilgya? (So "smoked" means going into mist form? )
    Out of curiosity, can a vampire in mist / smoke form kill someone by asphyxiation?

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Not by RAW. They can neither attack nor be attacked (except for exceptions A, B, C, 5, 6, Sigma, Tau, etc).

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    bunsen_h's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    I was looking at Belkar's reaction in panel 7 of strip 1175 -- I'm sorry, but I don't yet have the standing to post links -- to Curly misting out, and wondering if someone who's already having breathing difficulty might be pushed over the edge by having to breathe diluted vampire along with the air. From which it might follow that a vampire might be able to sort of concentrate itself in mist form in someone's lungs. It wouldn't be an attack, exactly, but might cause harm sort-of-mundanely.

    But if The Rules say otherwise, I won't dispute the point. Can mist-form vampire be bottled, or otherwise partitioned and contained? I can imagine that "vampire mist" might be a useful potion ingredient or useful for other magical purposes.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    That's not Curly, that's the Likeable Deathworm poofing out of this plane of existence. Curly already passed through, as evidenced by her trail above Elan's head in the panel directly to the left.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Yes. Trapping the mist in a forcecage box or resilient shield are two popular ways of locking the vampire down, either to wait out the two hours before dissolution after dropping them to 0HP or just run out the clock until dawn.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    bunsen_h's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That's not Curly, that's the Likeable Deathworm poofing out of this plane of existence. Curly already passed through, as evidenced by her trail above Elan's head in the panel directly to the left.
    Ah, got it. I'd misinterpreted the dark-violet smoke from the Deathworm as being the mist form of Curly. In retrospect, that doesn't make sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yes. Trapping the mist in a forcecage box or resilient shield are two popular ways of locking the vampire down, either to wait out the two hours before dissolution after dropping them to 0HP or just run out the clock until dawn.
    Perhaps I was unclear. Is it possible to split that mist into multiple parts? Though if all of the mist simply goes away after a couple of hours, it may not be practically relevant. Unless it's possible to do some kind of stasis on the bottle? I remember, back in the day, having a magic user set up an about-to-detonate device, getting a gelatinous cube to surround that, then using Sepia Snake Sigil (IIRC) to get a temporal stasis on the gelatinous cube. It was a doomsday device, of sorts.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2019-09-05 at 02:11 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    Dividing the mist into parts isn't possible by the rules. As for the other part of your post, sounds like using an iron flask.

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Fish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA

    Default Re: OOTS #1178 - The Discussion Thread

    In other words, how much mist can Miss Mistform miss if Miss Mistform must miss mist?

    Miss Mistform can miss as much mist as Miss Mistform must miss if Miss Mistformís mist must be mussed.
    Last edited by Fish; 2019-09-05 at 03:46 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •