New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Redemption IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Redemption IC

Prologue

The boat rocks back and forth as wave after wave hits the side of the ship, threatening to knock it over. You hear the deckhands above you, running around and shouting commands as the storm attempts to wrestle control of the ship.

It's a fine ship by all standards. Serving under the name of Taladar's Navy, this boat as seen a number of battles, and a storm isn't much to be worried about. Below deck, it might not be the most luxurious ride, but it could be a lot worse. Around you are your fellow convicts, and in front of you sits a Paladin.

He's completely covered in armor, from toe to neck and a helmet on top. You can't tell much about him, except that he is a gnome. At first, he sat there in deep concentration, and afterwards he looks at each convict, with a pleased look on his face. That is, until he saw the convict regarded as "Mister Snow" in which he scowled and let out a low growl.

He continued to sit in silence until he brought out a small orb that was glowing red. The orb grew redder, causing a small pain in the back of your neck, at which point, the orb went down to a faint glow.

After pocketing the orb, he finally stands up and begins to speak. "You can call me Brother Folip. Or you can call me Redeemer Timper. I'll make the orders, and you'll obey them. If you don't, then you'll get hurt.

"We are headed towards the Excavation Site. The dwarves have claimed that the tunnels are down, due to to a cave-in, but our scouts report to have seen no such cave-in. No doubt, they probably have a problem, and they expect us to take care of it. In exchange, we get an artifact. The Order doesn't know what it does, or any value it has, but we can't take the chance.

"Your participation will make things easier. While I can't watch you all the time, there are a set of rules that you now live by. Bad deeds will not go unpunished. This is your chance to make up for your past actions. Don't mess it up."

After finishing is speech, he walks away to apparently retire to his room. "Feel free to do what you want, while following the rules of the boat. This is the Captain's home. Respect that." As he walks out of view, he yells behind him "Remember, if I die, you die!"

Besides the shouts and stomps above you, the room is quiet.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Siric; 2007-10-14 at 07:00 PM.

Av by kpenguin ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by trollhammeren View Post
    I like the way you think Siric and i would like to subscribe to your news letter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Redemption IC

"'Bad deeds will not go unpunished,'" Seraphina repeats mockingly when she thinks the paladin's out of earshot. "Thhhhpt! Stupid stuffed-shirt."

Abruptly, something seems to occur to her. "Hey, wait -- so is Timper or Folip his last name?" She looks at the others as if they might have the answer, then peers more closely at Mister Snow, remembering how the paladin regarded that one in particular.
    Last edited by Nowhere Girl; 2007-10-13 at 06:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looking around the hold of the boat, he narrows his eyes and glares when the paladin produces the glowing ball of hurtiness. Watching carefully to see where he puts it when he's done tormenting them, he files the information in his head.

"Now, I'm new to this whole "adventurin" thing, but if we're supposed to go get something from these dwarves, I don't see why we just don't take it from there grubby little mitts. I never knew a dwarf that wouldn't sell his mother if the price was right."

He turns his attention to the little one beside him.

"He's names not really all that important, little one, whats important is getting our hands on that little ball he's using to control us, so we can get out of this stinkin death trap"
    Last edited by Mavian; 2007-10-13 at 05:44 PM.
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

4. - Top - End - #4

"Seraphina, or just Sera," the tibbit corrects. "I stopped going by 'little one' years ago."

She flashes a wry grin, then tilts her head and continues, her mercurial expression turning sober and inquisitive, "Anyway, how're we supposed to do that? I'm sure he's expecting it. And I don't know what protections he's got to keep us from taking it. Do you?"
    Last edited by Nowhere Girl; 2007-10-13 at 06:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

"The pleasure at our meeting, however unfortunate the circumstances, is all mine, Seraphina" He stands and catches his balance for a moment before bowing low to the Tibbit

"As to the answer to your question, Not at the moment, but we could always ask him, No?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Thoven

With bloodshot eyes the old gnome convict sits in his chair, rocking in time with the motions of the boat as though he were being lulled to sleep. As the lids of his eyes slowly close he offers a single comment a few moments too late, "Neither." He paused, still swaying as his eyes closed entirely, "Might both be one of many first names. We gnomes tend to do that, taking more names, that is. I've got three first names and a last name." Though, of course, he didn't actually say what any of them were.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

7. - Top - End - #7

Seraphina blushes in spite of herself at the human man's surprisingly formal gesture, then quickly shifts her attention to the gnome.

"Oh! Oh ... I didn't know that. Good to know. Good, so ... good."

She lapses into silence for about a second, eyes down and twiddling her thumbs, then abruptly remembers that the human actually said something, too, and snaps her gaze sharply back up.

"Wait, what? Ask him? Are you serious?"
    Last edited by Nowhere Girl; 2007-10-13 at 06:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

"I don't see why not, people just love to tell me things."

He grins and twiddles his fingers, causing various small objects to appear and vanish.

"Of course, they usually require a little bit of persuasion before hand"

9. - Top - End - #9

The tibbit's eyes go slightly wider at the display, just for a moment, then narrow again a little, her expression becoming one of reserved skepticism.

"You really think you can convince him?" she asks seriously.
    Last edited by Nowhere Girl; 2007-10-13 at 07:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

"What's the harm in trying? I mean, the worst thing he's going to do is kill me, which with the way he's been acting, is all ready more than likely to occur"

He reaches up to scratches at his face and mumbles something, as a small mouse climbs out of his nose, and clambers onto the top of his head.

Spoiler
    Show

DC (1d20+9)[27]
    Need to beat that with a spot check. If you do you can look in the spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

Casting Silent Image to create the mouse

"And I'm fairly sure that if I catch him in the right mood, I can get him to tell me anything"
    Last edited by Mavian; 2007-10-13 at 07:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Mavian View Post
    "What's the harm in trying? I mean, the worst thing he's going to do is kill me, which with the way he's been acting, is all ready more than likely to occur"

He reaches up to scratches at his face and mumbles something, as a small mouse climbs out of his nose, and clambers onto the top of his head.

"And I'm fairly sure that if I catch him in the right mood, I can get him to tell me anything"
    Seraphina's eyes light on the mouse and take on a distinctly "predator eyeing prey" look, but she stays put and, gaze still fixed on the mouse, asks, "Is ... is that your familiar?"

12. - Top - End - #12

"Is what my familiar?"

He looks around for awhile, the mouse still perched on his head, before turning back

"Are you feeling well? You seem to be seeing things"

13. - Top - End - #13

There's a long pause, a "will she buy it?" moment, as Seraphina peers intently at the smooth-talking human.

Finally, she pouts and stamps her foot.

"You do know what I'm talking about!" she insists, a little petulantly, her cheeks reddening again at nearly having been fooled by such an outlandish lie. "Quit pulling my leg. Is that your familiar or ... or pet ... or what?"

14. - Top - End - #14

"Its nothing but a trick of light and shadow, not really anything at all. It doesn't exist" He allows the mouse to run down his shoulder to the floor, before it evaporates into simple motes of light.

"It's just something to keep the mind focused on this mind-numbingly boring boat ride."
    He yawns and shifts abit. "What you in for anyway? I mean, you don't seem like a criminal, hardened to life on the inside. Not like the rest of us anyways"

He waves his arms to indicate the rest of the prisoners.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Thoven

Once again he speaks slowly, after the truth has been revealed, as if he is processing things slowly. With a twitch of his eye and a stare he shakes his head, "I haven't had one of those really good mushrooms in years and now I'm seeing things?" It will likely be another minute or so before the comment about the other prisoners sinks in.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #16

The sudden outburst cuts into Seraphina's train of thought, and she forgets about the fictional mouse and instead cuts her eyes to the gnome again, eyeing him for a long moment. Just as abruptly, she dismisses the remark and looks back up at the human.

"Theft," she replies after a brief hesitation. There's another long pause, and then she adds, almost under her breath, "Mostly."
    Last edited by Nowhere Girl; 2007-10-13 at 11:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

"Theft? They threw you on this death cruise for theft? Man, they must be desperate for cannon fodder if they got you for theft. I mean, murder I could see, but theft is hardly even a crime."

He shakes his head sadly,

"What is this world coming to when a pretty young thing like you gets sent on a trip like this for theft."

18. - Top - End - #18

Seraphina opens her mouth to explain the rest, but the words never quite pass her lips as her mind latches onto the compliment and promptly discards the rest of the discussion as irrelevant.

"Pretty, huh?" she purrs coyly, flashing an impish smile. "Flatterer."

She tilts her head slightly then, her ever-changing expression shifting again to one of open curiousity. "You never did tell me your name or why you're here?" she murmers, making it sound like a question.
    Last edited by Nowhere Girl; 2007-10-14 at 01:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Oh, for future notice, use spoilers for rolls in this thread. There will be no roll thread.))

Av by kpenguin ^_^

I like the way you think Siric and i would like to subscribe to your news letter.

20. - Top - End - #20

"Names Wilhem, they called me the Silvertongue back when I was a youngin, and it stuck."

He grins and slowly begins to count off on his fingers

"They got me for, Theft, Embezzlement, Forgery, Loan Sharking, Misuse of Magic, Adultery, slept with the mayors wife... she seemed to enjoy it though, and selling illegal goods"

He stops and ponders for a moment.

"Oh yeah, the also tacked on High Treason in the end, something about my selling some weapons to some old friends of mine, who just happened to take up piracy... How was I supposed to know what they were gonna end up using them for."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Thoven

The dazed old gnome's head lolls to one side, and then the other, swaying serenely in time with the boat. He doesn't seem to have a care in the world, "Eight years and counting for possession of drugs. Granted, it was a shipload, but..." He may just not be paying attention entirely, picking up bits and pieces as one would with selective hearing.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #22

Eyes wide, Seraphina listens as Wilhem lists his various offenses. She casts a glance at the gnome, noting his comment and quickly connecting it back to the earleir remark about mushrooms, then frowns slightly.

"All I did was steal," she admits finally with a helpless shrug. "A lot."

She considers briefly, then adds sheepishly, "Although I did eat a guard's familiar by accident."

23. - Top - End - #23

Hearing the gnomes remark, Wilhelm turns to consider him.

"What were you running, and was it for personal use or resale? I only ask because I used to know a guy, who knew a guy, if you know what I mean, who paid top dollar for anything he could get his hands on. We get outta this mess, perhaps you and I could make a business arrangement?"

He pats down his pockets and sighs,

"Silly paladins probably burnt my business cards when they got rid of my possessions. 1 a gold per hundred I paid for those" He shakes his head once again at societies decline.

Turning back to Seraphina.

"Did you have any way of knowing that this supposed 'familiar'" he adds the quotes with his fingers "was anything than the animal it appeared? Because otherwise, its just an honest mistake."
    Last edited by Mavian; 2007-10-14 at 02:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

The tibbit looks scandalized.

"Of course I didn't know! I'd never -- I mean, if I'd known, but I ... but ..."

She sighs and looks down.

"But I think that's when I suddenly became important enough to go after, anyway."

Suddenly, she looks annoyed. "Of course, all I was charged with was theft -- not that anyone I ever stole from didn't deserve it."

25. - Top - End - #25

He grins broadly,

"Your protesting to the wrong man there Little Miss. I stole from anyone who had money, until I discovered that it was much more lucrative to go into business than it was to commit common theft. Much safer too"

He looks around the hold once more.

"I wonder if we're allowed to go up on deck now that we're att sea and there's no chance of us bolting, I could use a bit of fresh air"

26. - Top - End - #26

"Let's ask!" Seraphina agrees cheerfully, standing with the intention of making her way up to the deck and, apparently, "asking" by simply doing it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

All the while, as the convicts have their polite conversation, the shouts and the stomping from above became louder and louder. And, at the same time that Seraphina had decided to make her way up the stairs, a rather rude deckhand had pushed her out of the way on his run down the stairs and towards the paladin's chamber.

He's banging on the door while making the frequent cry "Orcs!", which of course caused the gnome to venture out..."Did you say orcs?"
    "Pirates, sir."
    "Pirates?!"
    "Yes sir, Pirates."
    The gnome smiles. "I love orcs," he says as he waddles towards the stairs, "There so easy to kill," he pulls out his warhammer, "and there's so many of them. And the best part is, you can never feel bad for putting them down!" Weapon in one hand, shield in the other, the convicts watch as the paladin continues to waddle up the stairs, remembering what he said earlier about his death (except for Thoven maybe, who was in the middle of a wicked ride).

Av by kpenguin ^_^

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Thoven

Still swaying back and forth he smiles, "Enough shrooms to put down a...well...something big for a very long time." A dreamy look came to his eye, his mouth watering as he thought about all those delicious triptastic shrooms. He had never given thought to what actually happened to them after they were confiscated, but hoped they hadn't been burned or something crazy. He knew the chances of them being used were less than one percent in such a strict nation as Taladar. So far, the thought of flying away as opposed to being stuck on the boat hadn't really occured to him, though neither did the fact that there are orc pirates somewhere nearby, but that would likely hit him soon enough.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #29

"Hey! Big oaf!"

Recovering her footing, Seraphina glares angrily at the retreating back of the deckhand. Then her ears perk up at the mention of pirates.

"Hey, did you hear that?" she asks the other two, then starts again and turns to watch as the gnomish paladin gleefully charges out, warhammer in hand. Her expression shifts from mild dismay to resignation before settling finally on wry amusement.

"Guess we'd better follow." Twisting her expression into a cheerful one, she adds, "Maybe we can take the orcs' plunder!"

She draws her sword and follows up after the gnome, moving more slowly and keeping low.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide/Move Silently and assuming Assassin's Stance
    Last edited by Nowhere Girl; 2007-10-14 at 11:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

OOC: We rolling init yet?

Wilhelm mutters a few words under his breath and fades from view, before cautiously climbing up on deck.

Spoiler
    Show

Casts invisibility
    Will last for 5 minutes