The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In the Land of Forgotten Kings [PF Path of War]

Quote Originally Posted by Bapsplingo View Post
    I think I've completely misunderstood how you were handling character concepts, oops. My apologies. If we've decided on Sultran, I've got a better idea. I'm thinking that my character, Rén Ně, was part of a family that served as wizards for the nation's military with a lot of pride in it, but lacked the talent for magic that made for any decent wizard. So, to preserve the family name, he volunteered for an experiment to instill sorcerous blood in himself, which backfired. Now a freak of the arcane, he's been practically disowned and serves with the intention of gaining the honor of service by himself, and maybe be allowed back into the family and regular society. Discipline, rigidity, and hierarchy are crutches for him in a society he used to belong to, but now can't really be accepted in.
    What classes did you settle on? In Sultran society, even with great renown and success, it's likely a monstrosity would never achieve that kind of recognition. But I kind of like the idea of struggling to achieve it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire014 View Post
    Intere... I see Dervish Defenders are popular in this thread. On the bright side, me using Iron Tortoise and Sleeping Goddess on it should help me stick out a bit.

The sheet so far. Anyone need a bodyguard, who may or may not be a ninja?
    Ignore the martial archetype dips, they're mainly there for class features, those maneuvers are never getting improved. Tiefling was only picked for the extra dex and int, so if it doesn't fit (and its looking out of place) I can always switch over to Human or Half-elf.

HP Rolls [roll0]

EDIT: Yikes. Average it is.
    Interesting. What archetypes are in use? Where's the Voyager from?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    Alright how would we go about coming up with a tradition like that?
    You tell me how you learned it, from what nation, and the intent. Maybe invent an association or guru to go with it?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cameronpants View Post
    What classes did you settle on? In Sultran society, even with great renown and success, it's likely a monstrosity would never achieve that kind of recognition. But I kind of like the idea of struggling to achieve it anyway.

Ankou's Shadow Slayer//Aurora Soul Mystic is what I was thinking. The way I saw it is that the mirror image shadow isn't really intention but rather magic twisting its way out of him, and the elemental powers being pulsating ebbs and flows of the arcane through him. I've considered giving it a scientific bent, like maybe describing it as a perversion of a natural "breathing" in and out of magic that all life normally does, but that's really depending on how magic works in this setting.

Also, yeah, I imagined that he's not really viewed as a soldier but more a very useful weapon, which is not how he thinks he's being viewed. In his head, he's just gotta rise up the ranks, be the hero of the motherland enough to actually be seen as one, but that's not how it is at all.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking either Sultran or Tsal, have we chosen a nation of orgine for PCs at large?
    Last edited by Greenflame133; 2019-09-12 at 11:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Warder is using Dervish Defender and Sworn Protector.
    Unchained Rogue is using Hidden Blade for Stealth Gambit and the other class abilities partially for flavor.
    Monk is using Monk of the Silver Fist for Gauntlet Strike, Shielding Fist, and the bonus feat (buckler bash). Mainly the bonus feat and not needing to use a buckler. I swear I'm not doing it to rocket punch people. Only taking the one level of each.

Voyager is a Dreamscarred Press Psionics base class, thats unfortunately NOT on the SRD.

I'm thinking either Sultran or Tsal, have we chosen a nation of orgine for PCs at large?
    I think Sultran is the majority choice atm.
    Last edited by Hellfire014; 2019-09-12 at 11:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Warder is using Dervish Defender and Sworn Protector.
    Unchained Rogue is using Hidden Blade for Stealth Gambit and the other class abilities partially for flavor.
    Monk is using Monk of the Silver Fist for Gauntlet Strike, Shielding Fist, and the bonus feat (buckler bash). Mainly the bonus feat and not needing to use a buckler. I swear I'm not doing it to rocket punch people. Only taking the one level of each.

Voyager is a Dreamscarred Press Psionics base class, thats unfortunately NOT on the SRD.

You can only have Martial discipline POW stuff on one side of the build.

Everyone is working for the Sultran, but your origins can be from anywhere.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, then I think I will go with Sultran as well. I think a bit o patriotism works nicely.

Fierarms are a cruel mistress. Many killed by a misfire of their own gun, rather than an enemy blade. However, those able to master a complex machine and violent alchemical, are rewarded with a powerful weapon. Combined with a bit of stealth and patience, this can take assassination to a whole new level. An even when all else fail, a gunslinger can fall back on their prowess with a gun.
    I color is green, no I blue. Ok, ok, I think color. not sure now to call it

Shameless self promotion in 3... 2... 1... my DA link. I got drawing, I got litterature. You have to see it

8. - Top - End - #98

BardGuy

You can only have Martial discipline POW stuff on one side of the build.
    Wasn't mentioned in the 16, shame. Again, they were mainly for the class abilities. I'll move em over to that side then.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Firbolg in the Playground

Blame me for the nation of origin... I jumped on sultran like a kitten jumping on a laser pointer dot...
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2019-09-13 at 02:55 AM.
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thinking Warlord//Mesmerist (Vexing Daredevil). Since the PCs are from one nation, are they together on an officially sanctioned expedition or did they group up in typical adventuring party fashion?

If it's the former, I'm imagining my dude being a grifter and gambler who stole the place of the hero that was originally meant to be there, in order to get out of the country to escape his many debts.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Thinking Warlord//Mesmerist (Vexing Daredevil). Since the PCs are from one nation, are they together on an officially sanctioned expedition or did they group up in typical adventuring party fashion?

If it's the former, I'm imagining my dude being a grifter and gambler who stole the place of the hero that was originally meant to be there, in order to get out of the country to escape his many debts.
    Right now it's actually more of a special task force of a law enforcement agency... trying to Blue Streak would be funny unless you got caught then said character would definitely be in trouble
    Blarg...

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    Right now it's actually more of a special task force of a law enforcement agency... trying to Blue Streak would be funny unless you got caught then said character would definitely be in trouble
    You say trouble, I say narrative stakes.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Ooh, are you still recruiting? I've got a control fighter (scholar plus either Harbinger or Warder) witch boy that would suit this wonderfully.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Hi all, so I was thinking about how I would approach this and I had what I think is a pretty interesting idea. Before going forward with it let me know what you guys think.

A Soulknife (moonlight meditant) // Shifter (warshifter, martial shifter). Assuming it is okay to combine martial shifter and warshifter, because warshifter replaces quick transformation and martial shifter delays it a level.

For race I would like to play a Kitsune, some notes on racial traits I am thinking of taking (human guise, magical tails, fox shape) would it be okay though if I base my normal form as a human instead of a kitsune more normal form?

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by thethird; 2019-09-13 at 01:34 PM.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

15. - Top - End - #105

Are background skills in effect?
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Hi all, so I was thinking about how I would approach this and I had what I think is a pretty interesting idea. Before going forward with it let me know what you guys think.

A Soulknife (moonlight meditant) // Shifter (warshifter, martial shifter). Assuming it is okay to combine martial shifter and warshifter, because warshifter replaces quick transformation and martial shifter delays it a level.

For race I would like to play a Kitsune, some notes on racial traits I am thinking of taking (human guise, magical tails, fox shape) would it be okay though if I base my normal form as a human instead of a kitsune more normal form?

What do you guys think?
    Well by RAW your mix of martial and war shifter are a no go since they are changing the same feature. As for the Jedi werewolf, fun concept.
    Blarg...

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

What I'd like to do is set up Iajitsu Tradition from spheres of might Basically, Dancer Tradition, just replace the weapon prof with Bushido discipline instead

Replace feats with Spheres of might for the middle ground.

Warrior Poet Samurai of Songbird | Bushi Stalker
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Wasn't mentioned in the 16, shame. Again, they were mainly for the class abilities. I'll move em over to that side then.
    Yeah, it came up in clarification in the thread. I have no control over the original OP 16, and have since moved some of it to Discord. No worries.

The former. A kind of special forces Black Ops unit. But the interest is enough right now for me to spawn a second game in the same setting, potentially from another nation. Stay tuned.
    Quote Originally Posted by cecil1994 View Post
    Ooh, are you still recruiting? I've got a control fighter (scholar plus either Harbinger or Warder) witch boy that would suit this wonderfully.
    Looks like it. I am going to initiate another server on Discord and populate that soon, probably this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post

What do you guys think?
    I'm not a fan of how PF did archetypes, and I'd have to check them both out before I allow things to stack that normally don't.

What do you mean by 'as a human instead of a kitsune more normal form'? Like, you appear human until you change, not being identifiable as a kitsune? That's either a custom alternate racial trait or a feat, I'm afraid. Stigma is very prevalent in this world, depending on where you are from.
    Are background skills in effect?
    No, we are not. Gestalt usually allows for more than enough skill points to be adequate.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, then I think I will go with Sultran as well. I think a bit o patriotism works nicely.

Fierarms are a cruel mistress. Many killed by a misfire of their own gun, rather than an enemy blade. However, those able to master a complex machine and violent alchemical, are rewarded with a powerful weapon. Combined with a bit of stealth and patience, this can take assassination to a whole new level. An even when all else fail, a gunslinger can fall back on their prowess with a gun.
    New Martial Tradition: Blackpowder Agents

Equipment: Firearm Proficiency, Sniper Sphere
    Choose: Scout Sphere or Fencing Sphere
    Choose: Gun Kata or Expert Reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    What I'd like to do is set up Iajitsu Tradition from spheres of might Basically, Dancer Tradition, just replace the weapon prof with Bushido discipline instead

Replace feats with Spheres of might for the middle ground.

Warrior Poet Samurai of Songbird | Bushi Stalker
    Which tradition are you talking about? Courtesan?

20. - Top - End - #110

BardGuy

What do you mean by 'as a human instead of a kitsune more normal form'? Like, you appear human until you change, not being identifiable as a kitsune? That's either a custom alternate racial trait or a feat, I'm afraid. Stigma is very prevalent in this world, depending on where you are from.
    You could just spend all your time in your alternate form. Its at will, and indefinite duration.

No, we are not. Gestalt usually allows for more than enough skill points to be adequate.
    Drat, would have saved me at least 7 skill points at this level.

Rerolling HP, since they're D8s instead of D12s (2d8)[5][1](6) or Average (4.5)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not a fan of how PF did archetypes, and I'd have to check them both out before I allow things to stack that normally don't.

On rereading and rechecking I saw that I was on error. At first I thought the only overlap was the quick transformation, that the martial shifter delays (as opposed to replace). But there is also a bestial trait, so I guess no way jose to the martial warshifter (I am taking war shifter then).

As to the custom alternate racial trait, or a feat... I already have transformation (human) gained as a racial trait. So there probably is no need to take it further. Perhaps I could use naturalized to just not bother making disguise checks.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

22. - Top - End - #112

BardGuy

On a scale of 1-10, how much racism/discrimination is there against tieflings, if they're allowed?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

On a scale of 1-10, how much racism/discrimination is there against tieflings, if they're allowed?
    As far as Luivika is concerned, 10. She doesn't like demons and we'll be fighting them.

Seems to me the DM is molding stuff like this around our stories.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

24. - Top - End - #114

BardGuy

As far as Luivika is concerned, 10. She doesn't like demons and we'll be fighting them.
    That was another question I forgot to add.

Pass for Human it is. Shame there isn't anything I can trade Fiendish Sorcery for.

25. - Top - End - #115

Seems to me the DM is molding stuff like this around our stories.
    Demons=/=Devils

Tieflings can be from either side after all.
    Blarg...

26. - Top - End - #116

True, but the question surrounding their inclusion isn't so much a question of power, but rather that it allows PCs to add more flavor to their characters without having to sacrifice general usability, since the 2 extra skill points can only be spent in skills that have either no or very limited use in conflict resolution.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Which tradition are you talking about? Courtesan?

Yeah I think that is the base there.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

28. - Top - End - #118

BardGuy

Alright, Rumia should be done.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Sheet WIP.

I really like Blackpowder Agents, epically the name.
    I color is green, no I blue. Ok, ok, I think color. not sure now to call it

Shameless self promotion in 3... 2... 1... my DA link. I got drawing, I got litterature. You have to see it