New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: I'm Thinking About Losing Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I had the opposite experience. I have problems with binge eating, and going on a very strict diet helped me to avoid my binge triggers. Quitting a bit at a time would have been nearly impossible, because my eating habits had more in common with a drug problem then just overeating.

I also was diagosed with celiac's right before I started, but I could have easily swapped pasta for potatoes and remained just as heavy.
    Well ok. But I wouldn't say that is the common way how it goes. Did you resolve your Problem?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsama View Post
    Well ok. But I wouldn't say that is the common way how it goes. Did you resolve your Problem?
    I did. I lost 170 pounds/77 kilos in 2 years. People literally don't recognize me if they haven't seen me in a while.

It isn't hard anymore because my relationship with food is different. Before if I had a craving to eat something it felt overwhelming, and I would find excuses to eat it. Now I eat a slice of dessert on holidays if it is gluten free, and otherwise ignore it. My meals are based around their nutritional content instead of whether I like the taste, heavy on legumes, nuts, and yogurt. My one weakness is popcorn...

At one point I had all these rules I posted everywhere, but I don't need those anymore. Always read the labels, treat each day like you didn't fail the day before, don't lie to yourself, that kind of thing. My relationship with food is so different I don't really needs those anymore, I ate kidney beans and onions for dinner and had looked forward to it all day.

Most of my advice would be geared towards really overweight people, because that is what I was. Treating food as an addiction is much more effective then just a willpower issue (for severely overweight people.) People don't rationally get to the point where they can't see their feet, it has every detriment and no advantages. It also has a lot of family stuff related to it, Fat is Family was a book that really helped me with avoiding getting peer pressured into breaking my diet by my family.

Spoiler
    Show

Me from right before I started dieting to me today.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-10-05 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm glad for you, but yea people come from different points in their life with different relationship to food. So generalising "what you need to do" without knowing the history of the person might not work.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm glad for you, but yea people come from different points in their life with different relationship to food. So generalising "what you need to do" without knowing the history of the person might not work.
    I didn't, I offered a counter point to you advising them to take it slowly. Being free of addictive triggers can help a lot with continued weight loss and fixing unhealthy relationships with food, going slow means constantly subjecting yourself to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

And that goes for everyone here. We don't know what will work for OP. Let alone for anyone else reading this for tips.

Hence you probably didn't mean to make it look like you were only talking to tyrant (which it kind of looks like now). Take for instance my own tips. Yeah, my before weight is closer to Bartman's, which is nice for comparability and such, but then again I didn't lose the weight of a grown woman (more like a large cat or one of those spoiled dogs that never shuts up), so my handling of the situation certainly had a quantifiably smaller effect than tyrant's approach. So there's reasons to compare and contrast everyone here if the goal is to have good weight loss tips. For some people "cold turkey" really does work better. And I passionately argued against it in my post.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    One thing to note about a keto diet is that from what I understand "once you go keto, you never go back-o".

It basically flips your body's metabolism, so there's no effective way to cease the diet without regaining a lot of weight in the process.

On the bright side, it's not just a fad diet, so it is sustainable long term.
    The keto diet is basically the Eskimo diet.