New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Realm of the Dead

Alaeth

Alaeth glances about the room with more than a spark of interest. Whatever else they were, the wizards of Thay were intelligent and resourceful. Access to one of their research labs was something she could normally never have attained—they guarded their secrets closely. She wishes that they were not in a rush; she could doubtless spend hours if not days investigating this place.

But they don't, as the damage from the earthquake reminds her, and she must prioritize. Quickly, she moves to one of the spellbooks, paging through it rapidly to see what it holds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alaeth will look through the spellbooks she can find, and she'll probably end up taking all of them (along with Myriel and Hellstar, of course). She'll also take a supply of spell components, but that's less interesting and she'd want to know what ones she'd need before packing them.

Search (1d20+27)[32], looking primarily for spellbooks and other things of a magical nature. It also works for secret doors, of course, what with the elven door sense.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

As much as Hellstar hated the Red Wizards of Thay, he had to admire thier resources. They are famous for having even the more rare and esoteric things in their spellbooks -- possibly as a result of having many highly specialized wizards. Too bad none of them are here right now ... he thinks, that's one group of people I wouldn't feel bad feeding on.

As soon as he sees a spellbook lying in the rubble, Hellstar dashes over to it and starts flipping through its pages before he reminds himself that they don't have that much time. He knows himself; he could easily spend the next few hours studying the arcane writings out of nothing more than curiosity. Instead he makes a careful search of the room for spellbooks, scrolls, components, and other arcane goods. It wouldn't hurt to find a potion or two, either!

Spoiler
    Show
    Hellstar is taking 20 (totalling 34) to find spellbooks, scrolls, and components. He has little need for the latter, so they go to Alaeth. I expect that Myriel, Alaeth, and I will split up the spellbooks somehow -- we're definitely bringing all of them.

He'd like to find some potions if he could, but more importantly a bag to put this stuff into. There's gotta be a spell component belt pouch and the like laying around.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    Noj has little interest in the contents of his room, and he looks around the place with a detached revulsion. Moodily, he kicks over a table, sending alembics and distillers crashing to the floor. As Suzette lays down her findings on the ground, Noj slowly picks up and dons both a set of studded leather and straps a buckler to his left arm. This accomplished, he stands inert, waiting for the others to appreciate the urgency of leaving.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

"Come on Noj lets look for more treasah!" Oathbreaker wiggles a useless 'something he found' in front of Noj happily, completely ignoring the impact of his gesture.

Spoiler
    Show
    He's still stoked about stealing stuff, it makes him feel whole inside. That and lying of course.
    Last edited by Paladin Latham; 2007-11-01 at 10:33 PM.
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Character for The Arena Tournament (reseve): Oathbreaker TGH
    Character for The Arena Tournament (reserve): Bloatsack the Vile
    Character for The Arena Tournament (reserve): Pin
    Character for The Grinder: Mr. Stabby

Arena Tournament Medals (courtesy of The_Chilli_God)

Arena Tournament. PvP. Forum Gaming. YES! GO!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    Noj looks at the dapper man and his "treasure" and then down at his own blackened hands. In leaden tones, he says
    "Yes. Maybe treasure will fill the hole where my soul used to be."
    But he does not move.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-11-01 at 10:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Searching the entire room thoroughly takes a great deal of time, its size rivalling that of an entire manor house and its many storage areas and general disarray from the earthquake not making it any easier either. Fortunately, undeath has increased your perception to well beyond that of most mortals and the superior speed some of you posess enables you to search the room much faster than it would otherwise take.

Alaeth quickly locates a repository of arcane components that has not been shatterred or gone up in flames yet, marks its location and begins her search for spellbooks. The first spellbook she finds is a common, leather-bound book and both its small size and worn covers indicate it is simply a copy intended for lab work. Leafing through it she finds it contains a spell to protect oneself from evil, a spell of shielding and another of armoring the caster, a spell to command undead, a spell to animate dead bodies and finally a strange spell whose formula seems to have been altered in some way. Alaeth ponders over the formula for a few seconds then realises-to her surprise-that this was once a divine spell adapted to be used by a necromancer to hide the caster as well as others from undead beings. It appears to be a research project of the wizard the spellbook belonged to and Alaeth quckly finds two scrolls containing the spell in its divine form and dozens of blank scrolls that must have once contained it. Persumably, the wizard had some ability with such divine magic and was casting the spell repeatedly while studying and altering its formula.

While Alaeth appears so very focused in a spellbook she's found, Hellstar searches another area of the lab while grabbing another spellbook he spots. Deciding to study the book after the search, he carefully inspects every still-intact glass container. The area he's chosen to search seems to focus on potion-making of two different kinds. Nearly half of those potions and oils reek of necromancy. From the distillation process and the presence of significant amounts of powdered black onyx, bone splinters and dried pieces of meat as well as the glass containers being significantly larger than that of most potions, Hellstar realises they contain a mixed potion. Simply touching the containers makes his aura react to the contents and Hellstar knows these oils can be used to simultaneously animate and command undead beings. If the materials corresponding to each half-distilled potion are a good indication, the contents of a single bottle, if sprinkled over dead bodies, have the power to animate a dozen or more zombies or skeletons at once and bind them to whoever used the oil to animate them for weeks. With many such potions, a victorious army could animate both their dead and the dead enemies and immediately bind them to the army's commanders, giving them the ability to grow stronger with each victory. The other half of these potions don't reek of negative energy. In fact, they don't seem to have a magic aura at all. But the glass orbs that are part of the distillation devices emit a faint wailing and Hellstar can feel malevolent spirits bound to them. After several moments he realises these distillation devices have shadows bound into them and that hot water passes first through a filter of black lotus leaves then through the bound shadows. The thin black lotus brew would ot be enough to kill on its own but combined with a shadow's taint, it would be a very effective poison-and these devices were made to make mass production of this new quasi-magical poison not only possible but also much cheaper than normal.

Meanwhile, Virmas and "Jacob" search the storage areas for more mundane supplies and soon "Jacob's" desire for treasure is fulfilled-they fall upon a huge storage of small, black opaque stones-black onyx gems. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of them filling several chests too large to carry, not because some of the stronger members of the group could not lift them-they could lift a wagon one handed-but because they'd be quite awkward and make fighting impossible while holding them. "Jacob" finds a solution before long: in a cabinet containing travelling provisions for still living humans he finds three ordinary-looking bags that, when opened and searched, seem to be able to contain the entirety of "Jacob's" arm while being little larger than his palm. After checking the first of them, "Jacob" realises they are magical containers that can hold much more than most people could carry despite their tiny size-at least the first bag is. He hasn't had time to search the other two but they seem identical.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, it was time to give you some treasure. Unfortunately for you, most of this treasure is not usable before you get out of the undead manufactury and find some semblance of civilisation to trade it for useful stuff-unless you decide to make an undead army yourselves, that is.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

Oathbreaker will immediately jab a hole in the bottom of the containers with the Onyx gems and pour them into the palm-sized bag like he's emptying a bag of marbles. He will do this to every chest in the storage area. I could probably use these things like marbles. Heh. he thinks to himself. As he is doing this he hands the other two to Virmas "See if the others need space for a lot of small loot, these look like they can hold a TON."
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

Virmas nods and takes the bags. "Yeah, yeah."

He floats over to Alaeth and gives her a bag, then goes to Hellstar and gives him one, and then looks over the equipment. "Poisons?" he says, noticing the shadows and black lotus. "I wonder if it's possible to fit the poison making equipment in one of these bags?"
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

Hellstar looks up from his examinations and nods to Virmas. Despite himself, his strong curiosity is driving him right now, almost making him forget that he's dead. "Good idea. We can examine it later." He hands the bag back to Virmas, saying, "Hold it for a moment," as he finds some scrap cloth to wrap the possessed orbs with and tries to place them carefully into the sack, followed by the potions which create and control undead.

"OK, good. Thanks, Virmas. Now to find a way out of here." As he starts to walk around, his attention shifts to the spellbook which he begins flipping through quickly.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

Ethan has more than a little knowledge of the arcane, of the way magic functions and works, but he was at a loss in the lab.
    'This way beyond anything we did in the academy,' he thinks to himself, as he surveys the surrounding lab, and as each other person of the group lunges for spell books, treasure and so on.

Then, taking an extra pair of blades as back up from the weapons that Suzette has brought with her, Ethan gives a nod in thanks in her direction. After donning the scabbards, he joins Noj, and stands beside him for a moment.

After a moment of silence between the two of them, as everyone else is looting or examining the room, he looks a Noj and asks, "So, where you always this depressed, or is this an undead thing we all have to get used to?"
    Last edited by Revlis; 2007-11-02 at 04:03 PM.
    "Any language where you can spell "Fun" without "Morally Dubious" or "Immoral" needs to have its priorities re-examined."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    Noj looks at the wispy Ethan incredulously.
    "This doesn't bother you? We all just woke up in a...crypt full of people tortured and murdered just to make us into what we are. I'm undead, and a monster now. My wife and son are dead, and now I'm losing my mind too..." He trails off for a moment and the shadows flow up his arms in lazy spirals.
    With a savage suddenness, he bellows
    "HOW CAN THIS NOT BOTHER YOU?! HOW?! HOW?!"
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-11-02 at 04:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan almost steps back in surprise as Noj begins screaming, but he manages to hold his ground. As the words hammer at him, it takes all his will power and discipline to suppress the memories rising from the depths of where he buried them. Flaring like open wounds, before being suppressed by the enervating calmness; the detachment from the living past.
    “Tell me Noj, will your misery bring back your humanity. Will it save you from this damnation?” Ethan asks, his once easygoing demeanor gone, “It does bother me, more than you can may think. This is a defilement, this is the final and ultimate intrusion into what we hold most sacred; our soul. However there is little to be done to reverse it. Self destruction is not a solution, nor is suicide.” As he spoke, his eyes began to blow slightly, as if reflecting the light from the fire in his veins
    “Vengeance,” That one word was full of malice, full of rage, “Live for vengeance, if you can survive the irony of the statement, but don’t let it consume what simple pleasures you can have in life.” Ethan pauses again, before continuing in an absent minded manner, as if talking to himself as well as Noj, “Whether you like or not, you have a new beginning, don’t let it go to waste.”
    "Any language where you can spell "Fun" without "Morally Dubious" or "Immoral" needs to have its priorities re-examined."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

Oathbreaker, having only heard the last part of what Noj said will happily respond "BECAUSE STEALING TREASURE MAKES ME FEEL BETTER, THATS WHY!". After emerging from the storage area he will realize that Noj wasn't talking to him and shrug, only to sway a little from the cold and his damnedable hunger! Its almost like another time...
    Last edited by Paladin Latham; 2007-11-02 at 05:19 PM.
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    Noj lets his shoulders droop.
    "Aye, I suppose there's some wisdom in that. But I don't breathe. I can't eat, and I can't drink. I can't sleep, and I'll never know the simple fellowship round the commons again. What simple pleasures have I got left? I'm just a miller; I'm not 'quipped to deal with this. All I know is reaping and planting and milling. And just today I've killed a man with my bare hands and fought some tentacled horror. Hells, I know I'm stronger now...but I'm still going to find the man who did this to me, and stuff his head up his own arse."
    His eye flares yellow, and he straightens up to his full height.
    "Aye..." he repeats, softly. "An' after that? Maybe then I'll find a way I can rest."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

Virmas looks over to where Noj is at, slowing for a moment as he is stuffing poisons. "Reap the ones who did this to you. Plant seeds of fear to ever raise someone like us again. Milling? Sorry, can't think of something for your words there." Virmas shrugs and returns to looting.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

Hellstar looks up from the spellbook in his hands as the conversation ebbs and flows around the topic of their unlife. Ethan made a devastating point -- despite whatever hatred they may harbor concerning their new bodies, suicide is not a valid option. They have to live -- or rather, unlive -- if only for one reason: vengeance. Hellstar may later attribute his continued existence to Ethan's sobering words, but for the moment they serve to focus his resolve.

As things settle down, Hellstar finishes paging through the spellbook and gets back to looking for a way out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search - (1d20+14)[16](30)

17. - Top - End - #287
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

Ethan nods sombrely, before his grin gradually returns. "Life is what you make of it, so I've hear it said. I'm sure it applies to undeath as well, and you will find a variety of things to be your simple pleasures."

Shrugging, Ethan turns towards the rest of the room, watching the progress the others are having in the looting process. After a moment, he focuses his attention to finding out more about the other exits out of the lab.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on a search for exits out of the room, total is 32
    Last edited by Revlis; 2007-11-03 at 03:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Alaeth

Alaeth thanks Virmas for the bag, with a simple nod and a murmured, "Thank you.". Extradimensional space. Most convenient. She slips the spellbook inside it—there will be more time to look through it later—and continues on towards the next one.

At Noj's bellow, she stops, glancing back towards him, but one of the others is there first. Indecision paints her face for a few moments, and she stands still, bent over a table. Noj's outcry raised questions within her, as well. They were dead. She could never walk in the sunlight again; she could never reveal too much of herself to anybody, not without fearing that she might have to flee from them or crush their will. Her sister was her only real companion now. Her sister and the others.

Straightening, she walks over to the former miller, finding herself unsure what to say. If she knew, doubtless she wouldn't be bothered by it herself. "We aren't alone, at least," she finally says, simply.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    Noj turns to look at the beautiful pale woman, and then around at the others in turn.
    "Aye," he says, slowly and deliberately.
    "I suppose if we've got anything, we've got company. That'll do for now."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Suzette

Suzette smiles as she watches and listens to the others. They were finecombing the place, opening concealed drawers and hidden compartments that she would never have thought to look for. As Jacob had said, they must be finding solace in continuing a habit from a previous existence. Soon, the futility of the act would dawn on them. They were dead. They no longer needed anything, and what they might want would either become futile or a matter of patience. Even for the spellcasters, the day would soon come when they had gathered any and all spells ever conceived.

"We have eternity stretched before us. This may seem either a blessing or a curse, but to me it is a purpose. There is a war going on, which Senue monks would normally avoid, since we shun politics. I now believe that I am destined to make a difference in this war, and that this is the reason I was captured and 'survived' whatever ritual they used to create me. As soon as I get out of here, I will find out more about the different parties in this war and join the side I am meant to join. Who knows, if you are all bent on revenge on our creators, our roads might coincide a while longer."

With that, she starts climbing the staircase to the next level, thinking "or perhaps, they might cross" as she steals a sideway glance at the more violent characters.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Another sudden vibration quickly increases into a true earthquake, sending delicate glass alchemical insruments crashing on the floor, toppling tables and cabinets, opening yet more cracks in the floor and walls and threatening to send you too prone to the ground. Pieces of stone fall off the ceiling and shatter yet more of the tables and small labs.

The earthquake subsides-but the reminder that a battle is going on outside and that the building might collapse at any moment does not. It would seem you dont have the time to search here anymore-nor sit and read spellbooks and lab notes. The positive side is that the weakness from the Keeper of the Dead you fought below has faded considerably and your wounds are long gone.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the delay-I didn't have internet access the past week. Anyway, grab everything you can and sort it later. It has been more than 1 hour since you fought the Keeper so your initial strength penalty has dropped by a total of 8.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

"I think its time we got out of here" Oathbreaker then takes 20 to search for a way out (for a total of 30).
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Alaeth

Alaeth had stood for a few moments afte Noj's reply in agreement; then she had turned back to the task of collecting spellbooks and arcane components. She only glances up as Suzette speaks. Destined? Maybe, but I would not care to serve a god who employed undeath as his means of choosing. Velsharoon is not a pleasant god, nor are any others who might pick that... be careful, monk, who you pledge yourself to.

She was flipping through another book, tracing a pale finger down the arcane scribings, when the earthquake struck; only an opportune table saves her from tumbling to the floor, though she catches the book quite deftly. "Perhaps," she comments, placing the book in the bag Virmas gave her, along with others, "we had best take what we can now and leave." Following her own advice, she places another pair of books in the bag, and moves swiftly towards the staircase.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking all spellbooks in easy view that the others don't take.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

After a short search that resulted in seeing Suzette climbing a staircase out, Oathbreaker will follow, feeling a little silly that he was so dissoriented by the earthquake.
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

Standing in the center of the room absentmindedly paging through a spellbook when the earthquake returns at full force, Hellstar finds himself somewhat lacking in the "things to hold on to" department and only barely manages to keep himself upright. The spilled vials and alembics spilling suspicious chemicals on the floor leads him to believe that it's about time we get out of here.

He grabs the spellbook under one arm, and looks for an easy-to-reach bag of some sort while moving to and up the now obvious stairs.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

Virmas, seeing everyone else leaving, does so as well. "Hope we got everything grabbable."

Don't be stupid.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

As the earthquake struck, Ethan was almost thrown to the ground, and would have been had it not been for his new found reflexes and balance. After the earthquake subsided Ethan realized that all this talk of eternity was for naught if they were buried here. Ethan follows the others up the stairs, his face grinning once more. 'Soon. Every step is a step closer to the downfall of my enemies... and freedom.'
    Last edited by Revlis; 2007-11-10 at 04:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    The tall scarecrow of a man glances back at the yawning portal behind.
    Odd that so close to freedom he should feel so uneasy. Why did that hellish mausoleum feel so safe...and so much like home?
    Noj shakes his head and shuffles towards the stairwell.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

The entire group ascends the stairs as quickly as they can, the steps themselves breaking apart more than once when the heaviest members of the group-such as Noj-step on them. When you all reach the end of the staircase-a relatively small square chamber thirty feet across and ten feet high-you come upon a new horror. Two ten-foot... things are standing guard at the chamber, one before each of the heavy iron doors, sigils similar to the one you saw below at the Keeper's door though smaller. The undead things seem to be made out of a headless bloated central body once belonging to either an ogre or a small giant in advanced decay with two humanoid arms sewn in each side, none of them from their original set. A thick aura of necromancy hangs in the air, the animating force of the abominations stronger than your own though somehow more shallow and incomplete. Though perhaps more powerful than you, these undead are neither as complicated nor as capable of intricate thought and evolution as you are. But since each one is wielding four extra large weapons at once with what looks like considerable strength, complicated powers and thoughts may not be required to make them dangerous. Perhaps being guardians against escaping undead like the keeper or simply recognising you as intruders, they ponderously step forward, raising their greatsword, waraxe, warmace and greathammer, not with the deadly grace you heard of in the stories of the Marilith demon but with all the horror of the headless horseman and the strength of a wizard's golem.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll initiative, post actions.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    init: (1d20+12)[22]

Virmas

Virmas curses quietly before rushing forward, floating at the head level of these creatures.

Spoiler
    Show
    Incorporeal, praying these aren't magical weapons. :P using corrupting touch to deal damage.

Attack: (1d20)[1] Can you weapon finesse a touch attack? If so, add 11, if not, add 6.

Damage: (1d6)[2]

Don't be stupid.