New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Realm of the Dead

Noj
    Noj is also not blind to the effect the woman's magic has been having on the creature. Hitching up his ragged trousers, the gangly cadaver vaults across the charnal ground until he stands next to the ravishing woman and murmurs his prayer once more...It had worked for him; Maybe it would work for her...
    (Drawing AoO and moving to Myriel, then casting Protection from Evil on her)
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

Oathbreaker, attempting anything to get free, feels himself get lighter, less substantial. Smirking at the possibilities of the abilities he's discovering he says "Here one minute, gone the next..."

Spoiler
    Show
    He uses his standard action to take Gaseous Form and move 20ft. (because of two move actions) toward the nearest door thats torn off it's frame (outside the creature's threat range of course).

Fast Healing 3 so I'm at 18hp
    Last edited by Paladin Latham; 2007-10-17 at 06:47 PM.
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Character for The Arena Tournament (reseve): Oathbreaker TGH
    Character for The Arena Tournament (reserve): Bloatsack the Vile
    Character for The Arena Tournament (reserve): Pin
    Character for The Grinder: Mr. Stabby

Arena Tournament Medals (courtesy of The_Chilli_God)

Arena Tournament. PvP. Forum Gaming. YES! GO!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

Growling, Virmas moves and picks up one of the doors, moving back again and swinging it at the huge creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming I can pick up the door and get back to the creature to wield at as a weapon.

Probably around 100 pounds?

If so... Attack:(1d20+4)[15]
    (3d6+3)[10]

If not, normal attack on it.
    (1d20+11)[14]
    (1d6+3)[9]
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

Filtering through the bodies was quite the experience. It may have provided cover from the monster, but it was a mind-altering experience. The intensity of being in a pile of bodies was indescribable. In fact, the more Hellstar used his new powers, the more his mind was being twisted.

Dismissing his form, Hellstar reappears about 50 feet away from the inky horror. He dashes to within 30 feet, launches an eldritch blast, and dashes back to safety. He doesn't have the time to launch an eldritch blast yet, but he charges his hands with energy and readies himself should the creature make a move towards him.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dismissing a spell is a free action, no? Otherwise I will edit my post to fit. I'm also assuming that the battle grid is laid out in such a way as to enable the maneuver above; let me know if it isn't.

Rolls:
    EB attack - (1d20+8)[15](23) (3 BAB + 4 Dex + 1 Point Blank Shot)
    EB damage - (2d6+1)[4][3](8) (Point Blank Shot)

Dismissing a spell is a standard action; my previous decision is null and void. Instead he is readying a move action to keep a minimum distance of 30' from the creature.

AC / FF / touch: 23 / 20 / 13, Dodge target is Keeper.
    HP: 27/27
    Effects: Mage Armor, All-Seeing Eye, Entropic Warding
    Last edited by warbacon; 2007-10-17 at 11:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Alaeth

The battering she is getting is not really affecting the wolf-elf, but a growl arises deep in the black wolf's throat as she sees the tentacled warden snatch at her sister. She can feel her strength leeching away slowly; clearly this method is less efficient than those employed by the others. The wolf dissolves into tendrils of black mist, which drift out of the warden's clutch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gaseous Form, move 40' away. Moving in the opposite direction as Myriel.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2007-10-17 at 09:44 PM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Myriel

Instead of trying to escape the creature's grasp and lose time doing so, Myriel strikes back at it with her powers, arcs of lightning cascading over the creature's form from her hands. If she was lucky, the creature would be dead before it leeched all her strength away.

Spoiler
    Show

Using an SU ability is a purely mental action so I can do so while grappling. Shooting an EB at point-blank range shouldn't require an attack roll-I'm already touching the thing-but rolling just in case:
    attack - (1d20+11)[10](21)
    damage - (2d6)[3][6](9)
    IM IN UR WIZARD SCHOOL STABBIN UR HORCRUXES

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

Ethan follows in the creature's wake, not wanting to give it time to recuperate. As soon as he reaches the creature again, he focuses his arcane might once more to create another glowing nimbus of electricity in his palm. As soon as it forms, he reaches out and discharges it into the creature's back, hoping the creature would turn around and abandon it's new prey, the one which has been the most effective in the fight.

Spoiler
    Show

Touch Attack: (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage [Electric]: (3d6)[10]

Edit: ooh, thats not gonna be pretty...
    Last edited by Revlis; 2007-10-18 at 04:03 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Suzette

Doing her best to stay out of reach of the creature, Suzette makes her way to where Jacob's misty form is retreating.

"Jacob, do you think you could carry me up to where we had been making a hole in the ceiling? I want to see what happens if we make it bigger. I'm not going to fight someone who's merely defending himself to an unprovoked attack, but I have no intention of being kept prisoner either."
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Even while held immobile Myriel bites-more magical energy flows from her to the undead guardian, the creature's body beginning to smoke even though some of its previous wounds are beginning to repair themselves.
    Discovering another vampiric ability, "Jacob" turns into a cloud of mist as well, floating away from the guardian and towards one of the splintered and broken iron doors. Alaeth likewise dissolves and joins him then moves in the other direction, realising that spreading out will make it impossible for the creature to target them all at once.
    Suzette decides not to fight the undead guardian and withdraws towards Jacob. Still in his gaseous form Jacob could not carry her anywhere and wether he will once he reverts to his true form is yet to be seen.
    Reforming into his human-looking form, Hellstar retreats almost up to the wall away from the creature. Still slow from his use of this mist-form-thingy vampires do, he's not sure he can react against the monster in time.
    Ethan tries to use his lightning spell against the horror again but this time swings wildly, missing the target and failing to even touch the tentacled horror.
    Leaping towards Myriel, Noj feels a tentacle slapping against his back but twists free with relative ease and his newfound resilience and ability to recover from wounds prevent any damage. Touching the sorceress while wispering his protective charm a second time, he bestows upon her defencive magic.
    Virmas picks up one of the doors that have been ripped of their hinges rather than broken to pieces or blasted away but realises the creature was about to lash out anew. Better to wait for it to act rather than attack and get hit while still running at it.

Now quite angry at Myriel-obviously so despite its rotten features-the undead monster from the magic circle growls and a red flash surrounds Myriel once and she collapses in a nerveless heap in its grasp. The tentacle holding her lets her fall none-too-gently face-down on the floor amidst several rotten corpses.

Spoiler
    Show

You note the creature has fast healing just a bit better than your own (around 5).
    Hellstar can't ready an action-he has only move actions left-so he moves away in a position opposite another party member so there's an even spread of group members around the thing.
    Noj draws an AoO that misses due to extreme natural armor. The Keeper is not taking AoOs against those in gaseous form because he can't grapple them and can't realyl damage them either.
    Virmas moves to and picks up a door but doesn't have enough move left to both reach the creature and attack in this round. Rather than risking a possible AoO and not attacking anyway, he waits.
    Myriel takes enough strength penalty to reduce her to 0 strength and is paralysed. She's dumped on the floor face-down so she can't see the creature to attack it with magic either.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    Noj watches dispassionately as Myriel sinks to the ground
    Lucky.
    Stalking forward once more, Noj pistons forward with a powerful fist at the ceature...
    Spoiler
    Show

Power Attack 4, Intimidating Strike 0
    Attack - (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage - (1d6+12)[18]
    Intimidate - (1d20+24)[35]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Alaeth

The black mist reforms into Alaeth, striding away further out of the creature's reach; she has no intention of being caught again. Her expression is coolly dispassionate... until she half-turns and sees Myriel unmoving and face-down on the floor. She jerks to a halt, lips drawn back into a snarl that reveal her fangs. She had been planning on trying to take control of the creature's necromantic energy, as it was the most efficient way to counter this threat and hopefully aid them, but if it had ended her sister... She would still do so, but if her sister were dead she made a silent promise to herself that this thing would not last a day longer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reforming about sixty-five feet away, on the basis that it will probably go for Hellstar or others attacking it rather than her. She also makes sure she's as close to opposite from it as she can get.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

Hellstar grinds his teeth as Myriel falls. Not that he feels any particular sympathy for her -- he's just worried that he might be next. But fighting undead is his specialty, and it's about time this horror fell.

Moving eerily close to the monster, Hellstar brings his hands together in a praying motion, mumbles a chant, and claps his hands suddenly. They each glow with a whitish light, which he throws at the oozing Keeper. Then he quickly shuffles back to a safe distance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Life Bolt (Magic of Faerun, p105) Blast of Force
    2 rays, ranged touch @ +8 AB, 2d4 positive energy 2d6 force damage + 2d6 of same for undead bane magic + 1 for PBS, -2 hp for me.
    ray 1 attack - (1d20+8)[20](28)
    ray 1 damage - (2d4+1)[1][4](6)
    ray 1 bane damage - (2d6)[6][1](7)

ray 2 attack - (1d20+8)[17](25)
    ray 2 damage - (2d4+1)[1][3](5)
    ray 2 bane damage - (2d6)[5][3](8)

EDIT: New damage rolls in OOC.

He was around 50' away, moved to 30', cast, and moved back out to 60'

AC/flat/touch: 23/20/13
    HP: 25/27 27/27
    Last edited by warbacon; 2007-10-19 at 01:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

Ethan recognizes that the threat is even worse now than it was before, at least before Myriel was its causing it a great deal of damage; and though he wouldn't admit it to himself, he was safe so long as she remained his target.

With a wild ferocity, that had only been acquired in undeath, Ethan swings his fist into the creature with all his might.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage (1d6+4)[9]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

Secretly glad that yet another person who threatened him is either dead or harmless (another? I guess there have been others...), Oathbreaker reforms outside the creature's threat range. As he hears Suzette he weighs the possiblity of a second gaurdian summoning vs. the possibility of freedom. Ever chaotic (and secretly longing for the familiar thrill that danger brings, which has been strangely muted since he awoke in that cell) he stows a 'club', takes her hand and climbs the wall whisper-singing "Clever got me this far, then tricky got me in..."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing that I have only to move outside its threat range, standard action to reform, move action to stow club and spider climb, and free action to take an offered hand. I believe that means I am now 'wielding' Suzette in one arm and a club in the other. I don't know if that leaves her without dex bonus to AC (I hope not) but at the very least one of her hands is occupied.

I really think this is a bad idea, but I'm not really gonna hurt this thing unless I have a bastard sword or two in my hands so meh...

Fast Healing 3 brings me back to 21hp

-lyrics from "The Package" by Perfect Circle
    Last edited by Paladin Latham; 2007-10-18 at 04:28 PM.
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

RedKnightGirl

Suzette

The moment he starts walking over the ceiling, Suzette grabs hold of Jacob with both hands. Once they reach the spot where the stonework has been damaged, she kicks at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    first attack - (1d8+7)[5](12) and if moving over there is only one move action, she flurries for another second attack - (1d8+7)[4](11)

Yes, this might turn out a bad idea, but "I'm gonna hit that thing it's protecting" has destroyed many a lich. Plus, I was counting on drawing attention away from Myriel, but that is sort of a moot point now

If the creature paralyses me again, you have my permission to wield me as an improvised weapon. After all, I could still channel Ki
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Jacob takes once more his physical form and easily lifts Suzette off the ground with one hand while climbing up the wall and ceiling.
    Alaeth also reverts to her physical form and, anger filling her as she sees her sister struck down, is more than ready to send the monster back to its grave.
    Suzette, despite the akward angle, manages a solid hit against the trapdoor, chips of stone flying left and right from the stone that anchors it in place but not from the door itself-the magic circle still shields it. Much more than one kick would be needed to crack open a thirty-foot stone door though and an angry growl can be heard from the monster below.
    Hellstar blasts the creature with magic like Myriel did before though his own spells are more suited to combating undead than hers. The blast of force that strikes the creature burns away a fist-sized hole and more of the vile smoke spreads in the room.
    Ethan strikes at the creature again but as before his blows seem ineffectual compared to those of the others. He is neither as strong nor as adept in magic as some of the other members of the group.
    Noj on the other hand strikes the creature with such strength that one protruding rib breaks off completely along with a sizable chunk of flesh, a blow more damaging than anything the group has used so far.
    Virmas, attacking in a two-handed door-whacking style, smites the undead guardian with the rusty door. Unfortunately, the door slips in his hand a bit and the blow does nowhere near the damage it would, had it landed solidly.

Proving once again that it is not a stupid automaton, the undead horror torns its attention to Noj. A thin, red-black ray of necromantic energy strikes out from the end of a tentacle and Noj feels a great portion of his strength abandoning him. Where before his hands could cut iron like clay now they only feel as strong as those of an above-average human.

Spoiler
    Show

Noj takes a -12 strength penalty. The creature is seriously wounded now.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

Laughing at the creature's angry cries and sizzling flesh, Oathbreaker goads it "Oh no! You'd better hurry! I think we're getting away!" as he attacks the same spot Suzette is attacking with a meaty 'club' swat and a kick!
    Spoiler
    Show
    It never says that a slam has to be with a fist or arm in the monster manual so...

Meaty 'Club' Smack (1d4+7)[10]
    Slam Kick (1d6+7)[9]
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

RedKnightGirl

Suzette

Finding once again that using her undead strength to destroy things is immensely satisfying, Suzette continues to hammer away at the stone, a smile spreading across her face as the stone chippings fly around her.

Spoiler
    Show
    first hit - (1d8+7)[3](10) and second hit - (1d8+7)[4](11)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Alaeth

Alaeth darts back towards the monster, the words to a spell that would seixe its necromantic energy on her lips—but the words die there before she says them. The creature has not shown the singleminded persistence that an undead automaton would; instead, it has shown cunning, betraying at least some controlling intelligence. The spell was tenuous against those undead who still possessed minds.

Besides, she did not want this creature under her thrall. She wanted it destroyed beyond all hope of restoration. A startling bloodthirst wells up in her, although this creature possessed no true blood, and she drains heat out of the air again. Black fires burst into being for a few moments, dancing about the thing's head, and Alaeth darts back again, keeping her distance from the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to within 30 feet, use Fiery Blast, move back again. (2d6)[10] fire damage, Reflex DC 24 half.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    Hurk!
    Noj staggers as the corruption floods through his skeletal frame and saps his strength. Nonetheless, the scarecrow man punches again with a sledgehammer fist.
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[6]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

Virmas grips the door tighter, swinging it again. "Damnable creature, go back to death!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Going on the assumtion that we can slam with legs...
    Attack with door: (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage: (3d6+3)[13]

Secondary leg slam: (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

Aware that his actions in this fight have not been as great as those with him, Ethan is unrelenting in his attack. He pulls back his fist, and drives it once more into the creature, hoping that it would be the final blow.

Spoiler
    Show

attack: (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage: [roll]16+4[/roll]
    AC: 21 HP: 33

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

"I think we almost got him!" Hellstar yells as he repeats his newfound technique. With his arcane energies still recovering, he instead fires off an eldritch blast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, dash in to 30', blast, dash back out.
    EB attack - (1d20+8)[3](11)
    EB damage - (2d6+1)[1][2](4)

Effects: Mage Armor, All-Seeing Eyes, Entropic Warding

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Jacob still holds Suzette near the door with one hand so she can bring it down and, despite his desire to do some damage himself, realises his vampiric ability to walk on walls isn't powerful enough to hold him and Suzette both without at least three limbs touching the wall.
    Alaeth evokes another blast of fire, dealing considerable damage to the undead guardian. The creature is weakening-but so are her allies and her sister is already down. They must bring it down before it does so to them..
    Suzette continues her attack on the door despite the angry growls of the guardian. Each blow brings the door closer to opening and then they might not need to kill the creature-they could escape and leave it behind.
    Hellstar's eldritch bolt strikes the creature and does considerably more damage than he expected. It appears his innate magics are close enough to spells to benefit from his special training against the undead.
    Ethan strikes at the creature again, this tim his blow little more than scratching the fiend. He either needs to find a good weapon quickly or reconsider his prioroties-his undead metamorphosis hasn't empowered him much in the unarmed combat department.
    Noj, weakened by the creature's malevolent magic, is unable to even scratch it this time-his blow glances off its rotten torso with little effect.
    Virmas, attacking with his door once more, slips, swings wildly and totally misses the undead horror, dropping the door in the process. Swiftly, he picks up the door again with his vampiric speed but this doesn't diminish his embarassment at dropping a weapon during combat.

The hideous guardian, perhaps realising Suzette and "Jacob" are nearing their goal of opening the trapdoor, shoots another red-black ray at Jacob. Hitting him squarely, the bolt leeches off the majority of his strength and, combined with Suzette's added weight, this drags him off the wall and into a twenty-foot downwards fall. Suzette slams on the floor hard, not expecting such a fall, and only a split second later Jacob lands on top of her.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

"I'm going to beat your bloody skull in!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Power attacking for 3.
    Attack: (1d20+1)[6]
    Damage:(3d6+9)[19]

By the way, I'm a shade. :P

Don't be stupid.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

Thoroughly pleased by how well that last bolt did against their foe, Hellstar prepares himself to unleash another bolt of force. Wait, our foe? Why should I be feeling kinship among undead? Brushing aside his misgivings, Hellstart speeds towards the creature, lets his magics fly, and moves back a ways.

Spoiler
    Show
    Same deal. Move, blast, move.

Blast of Force attack - (1d20+8)[9](17)
    Blast of Force damage - (4d6+1)[6][4][5][1](17) (2 dice base, 2 dice bane, 1 pt PBS)

Effects: Mage Armor, All-Seeing Eyes, Entropic Warding

27. - Top - End - #147

RedKnightGirl

Suzette

Finally catching on that yes, the creature is there to keep them from getting out, Suzette rolls Jacob off of her, gets up, and glares at it angrily. She then slowly walks over to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    falling damage - (4d6)[3][5][5][2](15)
    Since falling is part of your move and she has to roll Jacob off, get up from a prone position and walk over, she can't attack yet.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    With a single-minded tenacity, Noj strikes again. His misgivings seem lost in the frenzy of battle, and he gives a muffled cackle as he strike blow after blow with his fists.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[3]
    Although to little effect.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-10-19 at 01:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

Ethan pulls his fist back once more, readying for another strike, but doesnt follow through. Seeing as how magic was more effective earlier, and realizing that many creatures are resistant to physical damage, Ethan decides on a completely different course of action. Focusing on his arcane teachings, Ethan's hands begin to flow into a complicated set of gestures, as he himself mutters a short incantation under his breath. A ray of positive energy extends from his hand, and towards the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Disrupt Undead
    Ranged touch attack: (1d20+7)[25]
    Damage: (1d6)[3]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Myriel

Seeing as how her sister, at least, is worried about her, Myriel enters her mist-form and moves as far away from the creature as she can. At least in this form she can move around, even if she cannot use any offencive powers or speak.
    IM IN UR WIZARD SCHOOL STABBIN UR HORCRUXES