New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Nintendo Direct 4 September

So a new Nintendo Direct came out with plenty of goodies, here's what caught my attention:

-Right at the opening, Overwatch coming to the Switch.
    -Super Kirby clash where there's a team of four kirbies with different job options tackling quests, seems like aiming at MP but playable solo too. "Free to start".
    -More details on Game Freak's new title, Little Town Hero, in particular you can draw enemies near other town people so they'll help you beat up the monster.
    -Banjo-Kazoie ready to play! Also extra video of the man Sakurai himself going over a detailed explanation of how to play them.
    -Terry from Fatal Fury confirmed as next DLC character in development!!
    -Super Smash Brothers Ultimate so popular that they're going to make even more DLC characters beyond the initial five planned!!! I'm pretty sure some of those will be from Fire Emblem Three Houses.
    -Tokyo Mirage sessions Switch version WITH PLAYABLE TIKI YES!
    -Divinity Original Sin 2 coming to Switch too.
    -Doom 64 Switch edition, k thanks Betsheda.
    -More pokemon Sword & Shield goodies, curry cooking minigame and a teapot pokemon, because clearly not enuff british yet.
    -SNES games coming to Switch Online service, twenty for starters with rewind version!!!! Super Metroid, link to the past, star fox, f-zero, oh my!
    -Moar games!
    -The first Xenoblade Chronicles remake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-09-05 at 04:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Nintendo Direct 4 September

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    -The first Xenoblade Chronicles remake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Remake Xenoblade Chronicles X, cowards.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Remake Xenoblade Chronicles X, cowards.
    One thing at a time, they're going by chronological order.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

One thing at a time, they're going by chronological order.
    If they were doing that they could have started with Xenogears :P

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I dunno. It was never finished in the first place.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Don't taunt me, I still dream of an HD remake of Xenogears, in its complete glory. I can only imagine how glorious hammy Grahf would be with full voice acting. Don't change his dialogue at all, just voice act it.

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I've got a whole thread for thoughts on the Smash stuff, so skipping that...

-Tokyo Mirage sessions Switch version WITH PLAYABLE TIKI YES!
    This is what stood out the most to me other than Smash, personally. I quite like Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but actually never quite finished it. I got a good distance into it (I remember feeling like I was hitting the late-game), but something drew my attention away from it (I forget what), and now I'd probably have to restart if I went back to it in order to have a clue what was happening in the story again. Seems like a Switch re-release with extra content is a good reason to do so, so I'm in.

-SNES games coming to Switch Online service, twenty for starters with rewind version!!!! Super Metroid, link to the past, star fox, f-zero, oh my!
    Also, this could be cool, since I'm getting it for free anyway. I actually never owned a SNES (had a Genesis instead that generation), so there's actually going to be things in there that I've never played and might want to give a shot.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I have an unopened copy of tokyo mirage sessions. I'd feel bad about buying it again...
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I have an unopened copy of tokyo mirage sessions. I'd feel bad about buying it again...
    I have the collector's edition...And I only played 20 minutes of it...I just couldn't play it on the big screen as I found it embarrassing. May have to get the switch version.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I stand corrected, chronological order for the Xeno games that actually came up in a Nintendo system.

Although they seem to be remaking lots of stuff that had never been in a Nintendo console (Final Fantasies post VII, Devil May Cry), so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    I dunno. It was never finished in the first place.
    Xenogears definitive director's cut complete edition Switch exclusive around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Also, this could be cool, since I'm getting it for free anyway. I actually never owned a SNES (had a Genesis instead that generation), so there's actually going to be things in there that I've never played and might want to give a shot.
    Which reminds me, the SNES games will have integrated online MP too!

Plus raises the hope that next year they may start adding N64 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I have the collector's edition...And I only played 20 minutes of it...I just couldn't play it on the big screen as I found it embarrassing. May have to get the switch version.
    Another advantage for the Switch!

For reals, the portable mode is just that good. There was some people online being skeptic of why people get so hyped for Switch remakes, but the small screen that you can easily take anywhere anytime is just that much of a bonus.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-09-06 at 12:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Don't taunt me, I still dream of an HD remake of Xenogears, in its complete glory. I can only imagine how glorious hammy Grahf would be with full voice acting. Don't change his dialogue at all, just voice act it.
    This, This, This, a thousand times This! I love the way the story goes and all the general craziness but man the ending just rushed so much and there were some real issues with the text usage ("Surface Dwellers [Lambs]" when it should have been the other way around, that or add the encyclopedia function from Xenosaga and add a function where square would let you check details/definitions on terms (and that would let them add exposition at pace with the plot) like SRW games do with terms/plot points for people who aren't familiar with the canons involved.

Seriously a remastered, complete, voice acted Xenogears remake would be amazing but sadly, probably will never happen due to Square having rights and it's niche appeal keeping it from being a real money maker.

Alas, we can dream of a complete collection of Xenogears/Saga/Blade games on one console but at least the series is still persisting and being as marvelously strange as it is.

Edit: Also Graph being voiced would be amazing and might cover the profanity that came up when he showed up in a tense situation. 14 year old me remembers the "Oh great this just went from eat it wuss to please make the hurting stop" feeling every time he asked "Do you desire the power?"
    Last edited by Tyracus; 2019-09-10 at 01:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyracus View Post
    This, This, This, a thousand times This! I love the way the story goes and all the general craziness but man the ending just rushed so much and there were some real issues with the text usage ("Surface Dwellers [Lambs]" when it should have been the other way around, that or add the encyclopedia function from Xenosaga and add a function where square would let you check details/definitions on terms (and that would let them add exposition at pace with the plot) like SRW games do with terms/plot points for people who aren't familiar with the canons involved.

Seriously a remastered, complete, voice acted Xenogears remake would be amazing but sadly, probably will never happen due to Square having rights and it's niche appeal keeping it from being a real money maker.

Alas, we can dream of a complete collection of Xenogears/Saga/Blade games on one console but at least the series is still persisting and being as marvelously strange as it is.

Edit: Also Graph being voiced would be amazing and might cover the profanity that came up when he showed up in a tense situation. 14 year old me remembers the "Oh great this just went from eat it wuss to please make the hurting stop" feeling every time he asked "Do you desire the power?"
    Honestly the game would be improved if every overly dramatic scene began and or ended with Grahf swooping in from the heavens going "Does somebody seek power?"

Factotum Variants!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd rather they make Xenoblade Chronicles 3 than spend time porting it and making a completely new control scheme from a different console.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Another advantage for the Switch!

For reals, the portable mode is just that good. There was some people online being skeptic of why people get so hyped for Switch remakes, but the small screen that you can easily take anywhere anytime is just that much of a bonus.
    A friend and I were talking. He loves that he can play games on a big screen rather than a small handheld screen.

I love playing those same games in handheld mode, even if I'm sitting in front of my computer monitor I have the dock hooked up to.

The Switch really did hit its goal of "look, how do you like to play? I'll accommodate that, rather than forcing you to my expectations." I like my entertainment machines obedient, bending to my whims.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Beat me to it.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    I'd rather they make Xenoblade Chronicles 3 than spend time porting it and making a completely new control scheme from a different console.
    Considering the success of XBC2, it would be quite strange if XBC3 wasn't being worked on already. You can bet it's already in development (at least figuring out story if nothing else), but won't be shown to the public until it's on a more advanced stage.

But a remake of the first XBC in between is a nice way of getting newer players up to the full story before the third entry is officially announced. Lots of people missed it the first time then we only got the 3DS port which had some pretty poor graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    A friend and I were talking. He loves that he can play games on a big screen rather than a small handheld screen.

I love playing those same games in handheld mode, even if I'm sitting in front of my computer monitor I have the dock hooked up to.

The Switch really did hit its goal of "look, how do you like to play? I'll accommodate that, rather than forcing you to my expectations." I like my entertainment machines obedient, bending to my whims.
    Yeah, it's truly a great hybrid that knows how to please its human masters.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering the success of XBC2, it would be quite strange if XBC3 wasn't being worked on already. You can bet it's already in development (at least figuring out story if nothing else), but won't be shown to the public until it's on a more advanced stage.

But a remake of the first XBC in between is a nice way of getting newer players up to the full story before the third entry is officially announced. Lots of people missed it the first time then we only got the 3DS port which had some pretty poor graphics.

Yeah, it's truly a great hybrid that knows how to please its human masters.
    Not necessarily. They did a HUGE DLC for Chronicles 2 that was basically a new game. They weren't necessarily working on XBC3 when they were doing that.

And there are plenty of highly successful sequel games that just never got a sequel.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Not necessarily. They did a HUGE DLC for Chronicles 2 that was basically a new game. They weren't necessarily working on XBC3 when they were doing that.

And there are plenty of highly successful sequel games that just never got a sequel.
    You can't have it both ways. If you consider Torna the Golden Country a new game then your wish is already fulfilled, the new installment in the series was released right away.

Otherwise you need to admit we exist in a new world where games aren't complete upon release and get a bunch of patches and DLC and standalone expansions. So of course they won't start XBC3 until they're actually finished with XBC2.

And I'm curious, which sequels reached the success level of XBC2 but failed to produce a sequel? There's Half-life 2-3, but that's more the memetic exception than the rule.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-09-11 at 06:30 PM.