The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default TWF & Shove Actions?

Hello all, I was just wondering if I was looking at this right? If your low level lets say 4 and spend your action to attack sacrificing your initial attack to shove, can you then use your bonus action to make an attack with your off hand? RAW this looks legitimate to me according to page 195?

Mainly I was thinking that this would be terrifyingly effective for some characters such as Strong Rogues seeking to get sneak attack with their bonus action, it also could work effectively for someone using the Crossbow Expert Feat although in that case, its not going to be as effective but perhaps a Bard would like that move.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: TWF & Shove Actions?

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Hello all, I was just wondering if I was looking at this right? If your low level lets say 4 and spend your action to attack sacrificing your initial attack to shove, can you then use your bonus action to make an attack with your off hand? RAW this looks legitimate to me according to page 195?

Mainly I was thinking that this would be terrifyingly effective for some characters such as Strong Rogues seeking to get sneak attack with their bonus action, it also could work effectively for someone using the Crossbow Expert Feat although in that case, its not going to be as effective but perhaps a Bard would like that move.
    No. You can only shove with attacks granted by the Attack action. Same technicality that prevents OA and multiattack grapple/shoves.

Shoving a Creature

Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you. If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.
    (underlined mine.)

Edit:

Oh, you mean shoving first with the Attack action. Still doesn't work, because shoving isn't an attack made with a weapon. So TWF/Crossbow Expert/PAM wouldn't trigger.

Edit2:

This interpretation of RAW is also supported by Crawford:

With two-weapon fighting, can I use both attacks (normal and bonus) to shove a creature? No. Two-weapon fighting (PH, 195) doesn’t grant the bonus attack unless the first attack is made with a light melee weapon. Shoving a creature is a special melee attack that does not involve the use of a weapon.

— Sage Advice Compendium, Version 2.3 (2019), p.11
    (Also see this tweet. Technically it's no longer official [made retroactively so], but it's still relevant.)
    Last edited by NNescio; 2019-09-05 at 03:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.