The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 228
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    "Hmm, a library... perhaps," Deirdre says with a shrug. "Maybe there could be records of tunnels, used in a war?" She was thinking most likely the revolutionary war. This was probably too far north to have involvement in the civil war. "Maybe the history of this town as it was first started up could be helpful... Do you know of any groundskeepers that tend the graveyard?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-11 at 10:14 PM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Both Mary and Thomas shrug, but when you ask about the groundskeeper Mary notes that "That'll be Mr. Jefferson, he takes care of the place. Doesn't like talking with strangers too much though."

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Deirdre smiles and says, "Well I suppose I'll just have to win him over then, hmm? Where could I find him?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Deirdre smiles and says, "Well I suppose I'll just have to win him over then, hmm? Where could I find him?"
    Thomas just notes simply. "Probably in the graveyard; he spends most of his time there."
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-11 at 11:59 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Deirdre nods satisfactorily. "Well, I think that settles it then. Not only is there plenty of light to go searching around, but it shouldn't be too warm right now. And Mr. Jefferson is probably out there as well... I think I should go there first, then. So.. will you two be staying at the house in the meantime?" she asks.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I just kind of want to know their plans, especially in case something important comes up. Maybe if I have to go to the town's library, it would also be nice to have a lift.

    Assuming we're all squared away, Deirde will change into her other shoes for trekking around the graveyard. I imagine not only might the terrain all not be ideal, but she'd probably do a lot of walking. Plus you never know when you have to run from a zombie!
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    You converse with their plans and it seems that Mary still has work again, as does Thomas, but he should be in the house if you need to contact someone. He also informs you of the telephone number for the home, should you need to reach him there as well. Eventually you get ready to head out towards the graveyard.

    Arnoldsberg, 9:12 AM, October 2nd, 1921

    As you bid goodbye to the Kimball family you notice that it the weather is actually quite nice, with clear skies and the sun passing overhead. Nevertheless, you press on towards the graveyard.

    When you arrive you notice in the bright light that it is reasonably well-tended, although the vegetation is quite abundant. There are many tall bushes and ancient trees which dot the spaces between the gravestones and tombs. It's quite clear that the cemetary has been here for many years.

    However, as you begin to explore you notice a gardener digging out weeds at the far side of the cemetary.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-12 at 12:36 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Deirdre looks about the graveyard a bit, keeping an eye out for any holes or secret tunnels, but to be honest, at the casual pace she was going, especially after spotting the gardener, she just wasn't going to find anything unless it had an arrow outlined in light bulbs pointing toward it. Even then, considering it was day right now, maybe not!

    She approaches the gardener, slowing down as she creeps closer, and waits a bit before asking, "Ahem. Uh, hello. Are you Mr. Jefferson?" She attempts a calm, tempered smile for the man. Polite and happy to greet him. But not too enthusiastic.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-12 at 12:55 AM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    As you're walking around he turns around, waves a hello, only to resume with his work. As you then actually greet him he looks somewhat taken aback. "Yeah, I'm Jefferson..."



    He then turns back to his work, "But I'm kind of busy right now, sorry." He pulls out a weed and begins to move away towards the next site.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-12 at 12:58 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    ooh, this guy has his own picture! The last two people who had pictures were plotting to kill me! Er, my character. But yeah. Must be important!


    Deirdre quickly, agrees, "Yes, I can see that. I am sorry to bother you..." But unfortunately for the working man, she doesn't simply let up that easily.

    "But surely you can talk while you are pulling out weeds. Maybe I could even help you out a bit?" Deirdre honestly wasn't dressed for gardening (probably not too bad of a mismatch though, only her clothes would still be fairly nice, and you wouldn't want to ruin them) but she was willing to bargain with the man and even get her hands a bit dirty if it would make him talk.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Well, I guess this is a mix between using Ethos and Logos (seems to be a common mix amongst everyone), so give me either a Charm or Persuade roll.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Let's go with.. persuade!

    (1d100)[61]

    crit fail time?
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Jefferson looks at you strangely, as you mentioned, you're not entirely dressed for it. So he notes, "I'd prefer to work in peace, if you don't mind. I'm not in the mood for a chat." and resumes his gardening, heading off deeper into the graveyard (but still... around).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-12 at 01:33 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Deirdre wasn't about to give up so easily. She practically ran after the man and said, "Please! I - I'm not just here for a chat! This is important! A missing man! Surely you knew of Douglas Kimball, who lived in that house right over yonder? His - his nephew is worried sick! We just need some answers, please!"

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    looks like you went to bed, so.. sorry if you were gonna say no. Just posting this to have an IC thing for you.

    This is my best shot at an emotional appeal. No deals or logic. So this time I'll roll charm.

    (1d100)[42]
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    I think you've already marked down Charm, so sadly that can't be improved. Weirdly this also struck me as being persuade-y, but indeed there was much more charm apparent.

    He sets down his shovel and looks towards you, then off where the Kimball residence is. "Ok, guess I can talk for a bit." He sits on a gravestone. "What'd you wanna know about him?"

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    don't think you told me to check off charm yet. Was it for calming down Thomas?


    "Well.." Deirdre begins. "We actually uncovered his journal last night. In it he mentioned.. seeing things out here, in the graveyard at night. And he also mentioned tunnels. Supposedly there's a secret network of tunnels under this graveyard.."

    "I was just wondering if you knew anything about these tunnels. Or, if you had ever seen Douglas searching around out here?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-12 at 02:41 AM. Reason: i need to proofread better
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Hmmm... apparently I did not, and I just realized why, you're all good. Neverthless now you may check-mark it. Also, as you're talking with him, just give me a general Psychology roll to gauge his personality.
    ----

    Jefferson looks confused and shakes his head, tapping his foot as he talks to you, "Don't know anything about no tunnels, but as for Mr. Kimball, why he was a rather kind soul." Jefferson then stares off deeper into the graveyard. "He'd tell me the most wonderful stories 'bout foreign lands. I'd be gardening n' he'd be reading. We'd talk about everything, from politics, to the weather. He'd always sit on that stone right over there." Jefferson then points towards a nondescript tombstone in the deepest portion of the graveyard, before glancing back towards his work.
    He then turns back towards you, patting his thigh anxiously. "I haven't seen nothing strange tho 'round here. N' I've been workin' for twenty years. No matter what any of 'em papers say..." He trails off, but feeling that the conversation is done (no matter if Deirdre feels the same), he walks off, glad to be from the "distraction," and return to his labors.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-12 at 02:45 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Alright. Psychology? (1d100)[100]


    Deirdre smiles and says with a nod, "I've heard nothing but the same. A kind man and great story teller.."

    Seemed the man had very little else to say and really wanted to get back to his work, but the very last thing he said was weird to Deirdre. She follows again and asks, "I'm sorry. The papers? You mean newspapers?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Jefferson seems to be getting a bit irked by her presence. "'Course the newspapers, what other papers... look, can you please stop followin' me. I've got work that needs doing. I'm sure they've got copies at the library or somethin'."
    ----

    As you press on after him please give me a Spot Hidden roll.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-12 at 03:52 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    "Yes, um.. Sorry... And if you want to stop by the house today for lunch or dinner, you're more than welcome to."

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    spot hidden: (1d100)[76]
    Let me guess... it's one of the stolen books in his pockets!


    The man was getting annoyed, and Deirdre felt that was about all she could get from him anyway. After letting Mr. Jefferson get back to his business, she heads over to the particular stone he pointed out: the one Douglas Kimball usually sat at. Maybe there was something special about it?

    She reads the stone and any of the nearby surrounding stones and does a pretty thorough search of the area, with her imagination running wild. Secret passages, hidden tunnels, how would you hide one of those? A secret button of some kind? Would one of these stones merely slide aside...?

    Spoiler: ooc2
    Show
    Probably nothing here. I would think the entire graveyard is too huge to do any kind of reliable and thorough search, but I suppose if there was any one location to pinpoint all of one's focus on, it would be this one spot, given it was Douglas's favorite spot, apparently.

    Another spot hidden! (1d100)[88]
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Deirdre looks around, but there really isn't anything here. The old tomb has been worn away by age and weather, so she does note that it would be the perfect place to perch and read a book. It's impossible, however due to the weathering, to work out who is buried beneath the tomb. She continues to look around, but turns up nothing.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Deirde sighs and decides to head back to the house. Before when she talked to Thomas and Mary, it seemed the library might hold some answers. Now, the library seemed to be the best chance to get some results in a timely fashion.

    Deirdre lets herself in the house and calls out to Thomas, just to let him know she came back.

    ...

    "Well you were right, Mr. Jefferson doesn't seem to be much of a talker, but I got a little out of him. He doesn't know anything about tunnels, but.. it seems, perhaps, there are some stories in the newspapers regarding this graveyard. Looking around at the library is probably our best bet..."

    Deirdre asks if there's anything like a bicycle she can borrow or a ride she can take to get to the Arnoldsberg Library. Otherwise it would be a long walk there...

    "Oh, by the way. I did invite Mr. Jefferson over here for lunch or dinner. Not that I really expect he'll show up, but try not to act surprised." She blushes and apologizes saying, "I'm sorry he just seemed to get so.. agitated by my pestering him after a while. I felt kind of bad. Maybe if he comes over, something else might come to his mind though. Or at least, he could say a few kind words. Seems he really liked your uncle..." she smiles wistfully at Thomas.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Thomas calls back down, "Sounds good, I wish you the best of luck! And of course, there's one in the back." As you mention dinner and lunch, his voice becomes more shaky. "Um... ok, well I don't think he'll show up, but, um thanks for letting me know!"

    You then rush off towards the library.

    Arnoldsberg, 10:35 AM, October 2nd, 1921

    You enter the library, which, while rather small, is still sizable considering the size of this small town. Soon you begin to look over periodicals and other books related to possible tunnels in the graveyard. However, there are quite a few books to get through...
    ----

    Please give me a Library Use roll as you spend time reading and researching!

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Time for the real library use roll!

    (1d100)[87]
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Arnoldsberg, 12:10 PM, 1921, October 2nd

    You look through all of the periodicals, but in all honesty, you've barely turned up anything. The town prints a surprisingly large amount of news, but very little of it is of any relation to either Douglas Kimball, the burglary, or the graveyard.
    ----

    You may Push the roll if you so wish, but otherwise, that's all that you uncover.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I don't know what pushing the roll will do in this case? I hear it's supposed to make the consequence for failure worse than just failing? So any hint of what might happen? Will mannequins attack me, politely informing me the library is closed?

    But in any case, had a slightly better idea.


    Deirdre sighs once again. More books, more libraries. She wasn't getting anywhere!

    There had to be something.. someone.. wait! Newspapers didn't just write themselves! (unlike what Silas seemed to think) Deirdre figured she'd have better luck trying to talk to someone who wrote these newspaper articles.

    With a bit of hope and more glee in her step, she sets out looking for the newspaper office. Perhaps after asking the librarian or a few nice passerbys, she is set on the right course...
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I don't know what pushing the roll will do in this case? I hear it's supposed to make the consequence for failure worse than just failing? So any hint of what might happen? Will mannequins attack me, politely informing me the library is closed?

    But in any case, had a slightly better idea.


    Deirdre sighs once again. More books, more libraries. She wasn't getting anywhere!

    There had to be something.. someone.. wait! Newspapers didn't just write themselves! (unlike what Silas seemed to think) Deirdre figured she'd have better luck trying to talk to someone who wrote these newspaper articles.

    With a bit of hope and more glee in her step, she sets out looking for the newspaper office. Perhaps after asking the librarian or a few nice passerbys, she is set on the right course...
    Indeed, basically you're provided with the opportunity to roll again by doing things like spending more time, being more aggressive, getting help, etc... but if you fail. Something worse happens than just... "You Fail!" Sadly I cannot really provide the fact that it will most certainly take more time (which is actually kinda a hint, now that I think about it).
    ----

    You quickly rush around, and are immediately pointed towards the Arnoldsberg Advertiser. Wasting no time at all, you leave the shelves of books and periodicals and bike over towards the building.

    Arnoldsberg, 12:19 PM, October 2nd, 1921

    As you head into the Arnoldsberg Advertiser you find yourself immediately overwhelmed by the sheer amount of activity going on in the small building. It seems quite clear that things are rather chaotic in this place. However, as you enter, one of the workers, comes up to you and remarks in one long breath. "Why hello there, I'm Artie Mallory, and I'm afraid that we're a bit busy at the moment, but why don't you come back tomorrow, I'm sure that you'll be able to... ask any questions or do whatever it is you want to do when we're much less busy, thanks, bye!" She then starts turning away from you to resume her work.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-12 at 04:43 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Quickly addressed and left alone and ignored again, Deirdre could not even form a response before Artie left. It was too fast, even for her. She stood there and just blinked, but she wasn't leaving.

    She took several minutes to take it all in, watch each person, see what they were doing. Maybe she could even eavesdrop on a conversation...

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Does Deirdre have any idea why these people seem so busy? Just a normal workday? If so... tomorrow wouldn't be good either. Not like she has until tomorrow.

    Also. Eavesdropping go! Listen: (1d100)[30]
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Quickly addressed and left alone and ignored again, Deirdre could not even form a response before Artie left. It was too fast, even for her. She stood there and just blinked, but she wasn't leaving.

    She took several minutes to take it all in, watch each person, see what they were doing. Maybe she could even eavesdrop on a conversation...

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Does Deirdre have any idea why these people seem so busy? Just a normal workday? If so... tomorrow wouldn't be good either. Not like she has until tomorrow.

    Also. Eavesdropping go! Listen: [roll0]
    I should note, and this was my bad for not making it clearer, that you do have like a single moment if you would like to respond. So let me know if you'd like to before I make my next post.

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Alrighty. Let's shelf that listen roll temporarily then.


    Deirdre chuckles and says, "When is a newspaper company like yours not busy? Have you eaten lunch yet?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

    Being personable (a shocking action for Deirdre), so I think that calls for... a Charm roll!
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-12 at 04:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •