The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Aaaah, my miiiiiind!!!

(1d100)[76]

I'd like to think if I saw this in real life it wouldn't make me go insane, but hey... I guess we've been utterly desensitized by fantasy novels, movies, games, and the like!

Dang it! Failed by one??

Now I wonder what happens.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-15 at 11:50 PM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Same for me, but also, the way I see it, most of the time for things like this you don't actually go insane, it's more that a slight piece of your mind cracks, just a bit. Nevertheless, in a world without visual and special effects, insane makeup, and whatnot, it helps me understand it. After all, I think if you brought someone from the 1920s and sat them down in front of say an Avengers movie, they might think it all real and have a slight mind-break of their own.

That is sadly a failure, which means that Deirdre has lost 3 sanity, and because you failed the roll, I take an involuntary action for you.

----

Deirdre lets out a sudden, ear-piercing scream as she sees the inhuman creature standing in front of her. This... creature is Douglas Kimball? The man who loved books? The uncle to someone whose house he's staying in, he had a family... how could it be...?

Eventually, Deirdre manages to calm herself down, while Douglas simply raises an eyebrow during her screams and mental exchange. He simply gives her a moment to gather herself and calm down, only to finish by plainly asking: "Are you done?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

After screaming, Deirdre swallows hard, and then nearly chokes on her own spit. She wasn't sure if she was dreaming or not.. but then again, the very act of contemplating if you were dreaming was usually enough to confirm you weren't or wake you from a dream...

Still, she couldn't believe what she was seeing! Or.. who?

The man's calm voice at least has a calming measure on her, and so she manages to compose herself.

She looks at him confused, standing there lamely. "Am I done .. what?" Oh yes, making a fool of herself? But on the other hand, if this person or.. creature which very much resembled Douglas Kimball turned out to be bloodthirsty and attacked her, screaming may not have seemed like such a stupid action.

She would blush, but she was still so shocked any form of social awareness anxiety wasn't registering. But she did say, "I'm sorry.. I'm sorry... You're.. you're Douglas Kimball?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The thing that once was, or is Douglas Kimball, smiles a toothy smile, inside you see a row of horribly sharp teeth, and you cannot help but think of if a wolf's mouth was somehow transfused into a humans. The thought makes you nauseous. "Indeed, I am him; although, speaking of which... who are you?"

EDIT: lol, "I am me," whoopises
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-16 at 12:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Dierdre fiddles with the lantern in one hand, with book held between her elbow and body, and she swallows again, this time managing to not choke. She still could hardly believe this was real...

If.. if this man.. somehow had a physical change like this.. and his teeth.. and his 'friends below'.. she had better be super polite...

"I'm - I'm Deirdre McCoy... Your nephew, Thomas.. he invited me into your home - your former home - I mean..."

She decided maybe she'd better stop there, maybe try starting somewhere else. She tried looking at something else, focusing on just about anything but this creature for the moment.

"Thomas has been worried about you. The whole town was looking. I hadn't met a single person yet that didn't like you. And well.. if that's you, sneaking into your own study to read your books.. that's got Thomas worried too. He thinks it was some kind of burglar..."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I am me made total sense too, lol

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The creature makes a rather surprised expression, drawing in Deirdre's averted focus for just a second, only for her to turn her gaze away once more. "Why Thomas noticed that? I had hoped that he would not discover my 'intrusion' into my own dwelling."

He then sets down his book and extends a rubbery claw, with nails as sharp as knives. "But it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Deirdre McCoy." He then thinks for a moment, the incredibly sharp claw hanging in the air. "I'm rather surprised the town even noticed my disappearance, why I rarely interacted with them at all!"
    ----

Yeah... but it didn't sound like Douglas, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-16 at 01:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre sighs, now focusing more on the stars (I imagine on the outskirts of a small town they're fairly bright).

She explains, "Well from what I understand, it started when you stopped writing your brother. So he sent Thomas to check the place out, see if you were ok. They found the place empty. That's when they contacted the police and made a missing persons report. They put flyers up and everything..." She shakes her head at a constellation, wondering how the dramas in this family turned out so wrong. "And, well... your nephew has been living in the house a while now. At first it was waiting to see if you'd return. But now it feels like it's all but inherited to him."

Deirdre uncomfortably shifts her gaze back to.. the creature. Douglas. "But I guess.. you're happy now, the way things are?"

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The stars do seem to be bright... such an interesting subject, stars...

The creature nods its head once. "You know, I've just been weary. I've been... alive for more than half a century, and the only time I felt like I was living when I was reading. The mundane world which my nephew so dutifully lives in, was not intended for me."

He soon looks deeper into the cemetery, towards one of the tombs. "Things are splendid down below. I am able to read whenever I like, day or night. All of the demands that were always made upon me constrain me no longer." As he's talking about this subject you begin to notice that he's becoming happier. "I need not care for money, wearing the proper suits is not required for supper, and I am not obligated to talk with others, mealtimes notwithstanding of course."

He looks over at the study with the now-broken window longingly, only to look down at the books he "stole" from himself.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre peered over at the house as well and frowned. It would be another thing to explain to Thomas. Another break in by a burglar. Only this was worse seeing as a window was broken.

"I.. think I can understand. Even though I don't have nearly the passion for reading nor writing as you..."

She trails off and begins again, "And.. you have friends? In this place, 'down below'? What is it like? What are they like?"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The creature that is/was Douglas chuckles, "It is funny that you mention my passion for writing Deirdre McCoy, for I am actually thinking of cataloging my experiences below the surface. I think it quite clear that it should not be published on the surface, the world is not ready for such things, but..." He smiles, "Maybe one day, my writing can be read."

As you ask about life underground he slowly leans back against the tombstone and looks at the other tomb from before. "Life is... peaceful down there. No cars exist, nor trucks, or shouting people. As for the others, well, most of them do not remember what it is like to be... human, but they are kind souls nevertheless. Excellent reading partners as well, for they never interrupt." He chuckles to himself at the last statement. A deep, but also harrowing laughter like the sound of something scraping against one's throat.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Deidre ponders out loud with a bit of creativity flowing and says, "Well... perhaps you could still write. But maybe pass it off as a work of fiction. With secret messages hidden within? Assuming you could ever find a publisher. Oh, that would be.. wild..." In her search for an appropriate word, she may have taken an adjective from Ripley.

Talking to this creature, what was once Douglas, didn't seem so bad now. The more she thought about it, it was like the book she held. She was a lot like Dorothy, and in the Land of Oz, there were munchkins, witches, talking scarecrows, talking tin men, talking lions... Just throw in talking men with goat hooves and wolf teeth.

She looks to the creature again and says, "I know it seems you'd rather have nothing to do with your former life, but.. for the sake of your family, would you be willing to do some last things to set them right? Maybe.. write letters to them every now and then, telling them you moved to a far-off country? Or..." with some more thought she says, "Maybe draw up a will? I don't know. Maybe in it, you could ask all your books to be donated, or placed in a tomb around here. That way you won't have to keep breaking into your old home." Deirdre sighs.

"That's the trouble. I mean.. if you are fine with Thomas living in that house.. he's starting to think it's unsafe with so-called burglars raiding it. He wants to raise a family, you know..."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He nods and mutters, "That would be something now wouldn't it." as you bring up the concept of passing it off as fiction.

As you're musing about the similarities between a book of fiction and the "real" world, the creature notices it within your grasp. "Ah, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, truly a fantastical world that Dorothy enters, no?"

Then, when you talk about Thomas and the break-ins his gaze turns stern. "I cannot let him know that I am still alive. Informing him of anything may result in him seeking me out, and this life is not for him." He then looks straight into your eyes, which happened to glance back while you were looking away. "You must not tell him of this. You cannot reveal to my nephew that I am still alive. If he asks what happened, simply say that there was a burglar but you managed to chase them away. He shall believe it, and it shall put my nephew's mind at ease. He should not worry for my sake for so long, and it seems that my 'thefts' have only aggravated such things. No matter, if you say there is no correlation, then I believe it will grant him the closure he needs."

As you mention him breaking into his home, he winces. "I am afraid that this is my final trip. My friends below are closing off the entrance, and thus I had one last night before we leave for good." He then nods. "Thomas need not fear any longer."

Douglas then steps up from his spot and begins piling up his books so that he can carry them.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre nods solemnly. "I.. I won't tell Thomas. I won't tell a soul. You have my word."

As Douglas begins gathering his books she holds out the Wizard of Oz. "Would you like to take this one as well? It's yours after all. I have read it several times over. I merely brought it as.. a conversation piece, I suppose..."

Before the creature leaves, Deirdre says one last thing to him. "Well.. we haven't talked for long, but it was a pleasure meeting you, Douglas Kimball... Uhm, sorry for screaming. Just.. Just remember: despite the fact that you hardly interacted with anyone, they still noticed you were gone. And they missed you." As she says this she slowly approaches with a timid smile, trying to focus on the more human features of his face, and gently places a hand on his shoulder.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You place your hand on the creature's shoulder, as you feel your hand practically sink into its rubbery, inhuman flesh, almost like it's consuming you. Instinctively, you pull your hand away, and the creature gives the same slight chuckle. It nods, adds The Wonderful Wizard of Oz to its already large pile, and stares at Deirdre. "Thank you."

As you begin to head back you take one last glance towards Douglas, or at least, what was Douglas, if it is not him anymore. He clops over towards the tomb, laden down by his books, and then creeps inside the mausoleum. A few brief moments of silence pass until you hear a heavy THOOM, the sound of rock falling on rock, from within. Neither Douglas, nor what he called "The Others" shall be returning anytime soon.

With an utterly confused mind, you mull over the events that just occurred as you walk towards the Kimball residence. A man, an absolutely normal man, has become a... creature, that lives below the surface of the earth and looks like... that? This should not be possible, and yet, everything was just in front of her face. Is the world like a storybook? What then to say of the science that states we are the dominant life forms of this planet, and yet, now you know thr truth. There are other creatures on this earth... you are not alone.
    ----

With the truth of the situation, albeit, the unpleasant truth learned, Deirdre loses an additional 4 sanity points (so she should be down to 68 now). However, this truth also gives you more insight to the world at large, granting you 3 points in the Cthulhu Mythos skill (this also decreases your feasible maximum sanity down to 96).

I know that your character might have come to terms with such things, but nevertheless, the fact remains that this is a very unsettling and unpleasant truth. Deirdre is not insane, nor anywhere near it, but a tiny piece of her sanity has broken away.

----

You arrive at the home, weary from the tumultuous experience your mind has just undergone... will you ever be the same again?

Arnoldsberg, 8:29 AM, October 3rd, 1921

You've awoken from your deep slumber, the words of Douglas, or whatever it was, playing in your head like a radio jingle. As you stumble into the dining room, you see Mary and Thomas look up with your arrival. Mary looks at your rather bedraggled condition and notes, "I see someone didn't sleep well last night." Meanwhile, Thomas looks at you.

His eyes implore you, with every ounce of his being, hoping that you've uncovered something, something that will put his mind at rest, to give him hope that his life is not as crazy as he thinks. Of course, will the truth give him that solace? Your reverie is abruptly halted as Thomas asks, simply, and quite plainly: "Well, did you find anything?"

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre yawns and rubs sleep out of her eyes as she makes her way to the table. She silently nods, then shakes her head at Mary's comment, actually not sure how she is even responding to it. She just manages to say, "Sorry about yesterday..."

But when Thomas asks her, begging with his eyes, she looks surprised. She wasn't ready to deal with this yet! She just looks down at the table. "Erm.. no. Nothing. Didn't find anything last night. Just.. when I was coming back after helping Mr. Jefferson, caught a robber trying to break in. I scared him off...."

She didn't seem too enthusiastic or excited about such an important event.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-16 at 04:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thomas looks at you strangely, "You... scared off the robber? Oh... well... I see." He then breathes a sigh of relief, albeit, it seems to be full of grief as well. However, clearly a lot of the stress and tension from his fear of the home intrusion has also departed. "Ah, so this has nothing to do with my uncle then... I thought... maybe." His wife holds his shoulders. "I'm sorry to have involved you in all of this. But, it seems like you've solved everything!" He then fishes something out of his pocket. "Here, you've earned it." He hands you a mixed amount of bills equaling up to around $10.

Mary then looks at you as well. "You've brought my husband and I some much-needed solace. Thank you so much. If there's anything else we can do for you, just let us know." She then realizes something, "My, the coach to Arkham I believe leaves at nine! Here, this should be enough to cover the return trip. Safe travels!" She hands you a dollar give or take, enough for the coach ride.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre just nods quickly as Thomas seems to swallow the lie. "Y-yes. You should have seen the look on the man's face! It.. it was as if the stupid blockhead thought the place was abandoned. He took some more books though.. Went straight in and out of the study window... Probably just another person that liked books as much as your uncle..."

She tries to look Thomas in the eye but it made her feel guilty. When he offers her money, she feels even worse. She couldn't take this money in good conscience when she knew the truth and was withholding it from him, telling him a blatant lie to the face.

"No... No, please, I can't accept this. I've utterly failed you in every way possible. They.. the real society members should have come." This statement was perhaps the most genuine, spirited thing Deirdre said today.

At the mention of the coach leaving she said, "Oh my gosh! I'm going to be late!" It was a convenient way to break away from the subject. After hurrying to her room to collect her things, she grabs some toast and puts an egg between it, and takes some large gulps of water before setting off. She does accept money for the ride, however. "Thank you Thomas and Mary! I have a feeling that guy won't be coming back anymore. I wish you a pleasant life!" She runs off down the road, quickly losing speed and stamina but nonetheless hurries as she can to the coach stop with her bags and meager meal in tow. She would have a lot to think about.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Both husband and wife stare at this woman strangely, but shrug. To them you've provided safety, but money is money, so they relent.

You depart from the Kimball house, boarding the motorcoach as you do. It's a bit of a drive back to Arkham, but nevertheless that gives you time to collect some of your thoughts. You faced a harrowing encounter yesterday, chilling you to your core, and yet, Douglas spoke of leaving humanity, and you cannot help but, guiltily, feel some solace in this simple truth. This is one monstrous being, at any rate, who is not planning on returning. After all, many other people would not take such things as well, or as peacefully, as you did. Thus, Thomas Kimball can sleep soundly again, without fear of further burglaries.
    ----

This calm means that you may roll 1d6 and add it to your current sanity.
    ----

Time passes. The motorcoach drives over hills and bridges as you look out and see the wonderful landscape of New Hampshire. However, amongst the natural beuaty of the world, you cannot help but wonder... what else is out there?

----

Congratulations! You have survived this adventure as well. You may keep your investigator sheet and use it in the next Call of Cthulhu scenario. If I have noted that you have succeeded in any skills (I think Charm, Mechanical Repair, Psychology, and Spot Hidden), you will have a chance to improve them through experience. You also may have the opportunity to do additional things that we shall discuss in the Out-of-Character.
    The End.