New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Prediction: Someone's already been to the world in the Rift

The Order of the Scribble, in particular.

Back in BRitF Girard's holographic hate-mail to Soon Kim referenced Kraagor's death, and blamed Soon Kim for it. Moreover, Girard's final words are that Soon Kim should've been the one to die, which is the meat of the sentence and the part that stuck with me, but I'd forgotten the syntax he uses: he says "it should have been you that died in that rift" (emphasis mine)

I suspect this is foreshadowing that, unspoken in any of the legends, the Order of the Scribble didn't just close the rifts. They had to go into the rifts, or at least the one at the North Pole.

Narratively, it makes a lot of sense that the OotS would go into the rift, given that they've now seen the planet inside several times, and we still don't know what the IFCC is planning (and I suspect it's a completely different paradigm than all the other plans, given how cryptic they've been). I expect the "closing the rifts" business wasn't as smooth as was implied by the secondhand accounts.

This concludes the musings by me. I'm sure someone's caught this already and I'm late to the party, but would love to hear other's thoughts.

Edit: grammar
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2019-09-05 at 02:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Prediction: Someone's already been to the world in the Rift

We already know the IFCC's scheme: unify the Lower Planes with the power of Friendship cooperation and use that force to wipe out the Upper Planes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

That is absolutely their scheme on the surface.

But come on, that's what they told V. And then they immediately admitted to Qarr that they'd been withholding info from V.

The Snarl annihilates souls and deific entities, so they're playing with fire in a big way if they mess this up. I don't see them staking that risk on a simple proof-of-concept ploy.

4. - Top - End - #4

Do they actually know what the Snarl does? Or do they just know it's a really powerful entity that's been sealed away? We know what Nale told Sabine before she bolted to report in, and it didn't include any of the juicy stuff.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Haven’t theories been posted that Kraagor May have been trapped on the other side? I think it’s likely that Kraagors gate will be compromised and characters end up going through.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Do they actually know what the Snarl does? Or do they just know it's a really powerful entity that's been sealed away? We know what Nale told Sabine before she bolted to report in, and it didn't include any of the juicy stuff.
    Based on the Crayons of Time, the Snarl seems capable of "melee" attacks with its claws/strands. The claws didn't show up at the end of Blood Runs in the Family, which means maybe they were an embellishment.

We only have one depiction of a person actually dying to the Snarl on the Prime Material plane, and it's also rendered in crayon which means it might be dramatized. Her body stuck around, though. We never see if Kraagor's does or not, so Kraagor being sucked into the rift is possible. However, they seemed to be quite convinced he was dead.

We've only seen the actual snarl in non-crayon time once, and it possessed Laurin's eyes and seemingly passed through 1 soldier, though due to the helmet we can't see if the guard's eyes were X'ed out as a result.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    We've only seen the actual snarl in non-crayon time once, and it [URL="http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html"]possessed Laurin's eyes
    That's just its reflection in her eyes.

8. - Top - End - #8

Kraagor is on that world with a billion Thor-worshiping dwarf clones to thwart Hel’s plan for soul domination.

Prove me wrong.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
    That's just its reflection in her eyes.
    I saw it as being a "the snarl sees you" more than reflection or possession of any sort. At most, the Snarl looked through her spell but that's probably about it without us knowing more info.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

Given that the antagonists have a divine magic user who gets magic from the dark one, is there a question of how the spells might interact with the snarl? Divine spells seem to contain some quiddity straight from the god granting the spell based on the fact that the gods want one of Redcloak's spell slots to seal the gate. What happens if he ends up interacting with it? Are Team Evil actually all four color beings because Redcloak's been healing them?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Given that the antagonists have a divine magic user who gets magic from the dark one, is there a question of how the spells might interact with the snarl? Divine spells seem to contain some quiddity straight from the god granting the spell based on the fact that the gods want one of Redcloak's spell slots to seal the gate. What happens if he ends up interacting with it? Are Team Evil actually all four color beings because Redcloak's been healing them?
    I imagine that healing would be using a quiddity, not altering anything. An Epic level spell might hypothetically be able to alter a being's level of quiddity through the addition of a not already present color (like a Blue/Yellow being having Red added to it), but there's nothing to confirm that. Odds are spells would be akin to taking a single-quiddity essence, channeling it through a x-quiddity being, and then using that to manifest whatever effect the spell has. Which might mean that Redcloak's spells (as well as the other clerics of the Dark One) are 4-quiddity, but again I'm not sure if there's even an answer to that, or if it matters in the first place.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-09-05 at 09:23 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    We already know the IFCC's scheme: unify the Lower Planes with the power of Friendship cooperation and use that force to wipe out the Upper Planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    That is absolutely their scheme on the surface.

But come on, that's what they told V. And then they immediately admitted to Qarr that they'd been withholding info from V.

The Snarl annihilates souls and deific entities, so they're playing with fire in a big way if they mess this up. I don't see them staking that risk on a simple proof-of-concept ploy.
    Quibble - that's their end goal, not their actual plan for achieving it. We have been given no reason to doubt that they're sincere about their motivations, but it doesn't actually tell us how they plan to use the Rifts and V to get from point A to point B.

And I mention this, because I think it's pretty common for people to misinterpret the things they've said.

Back to the OP question, even if that were the case and the Scribblers went into the Rift... so? What would that actually change?
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-09-06 at 01:11 AM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

13. - Top - End - #13

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, if Kraagor actually went through the rift rather than just being snarled, Serini might’ve tried to convince the others to secretly add some back door into hers behind Soon’s back or even compromised her own Gate (after all there are 4 more) things in an attempt to eventually see if he is still there. This idea is a bit out there but if true it could lead to all sorts of complications for The Order and Team Evil.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Kraagor is on that world with a billion Thor-worshiping dwarf clones to thwart Hel’s plan for soul domination.

Prove me wrong.
    OK.

That's not how clones work.

Proved!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

Prove me wrong.
    First, prove that there's beer on that world. Without that, you get no Thor worshipping dwarf clones who can survive.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    First, prove that there's beer on that world. Without that, you get no Thor worshipping dwarf clones who can survive.
    Obviously, the ocean is made of beer, not water, which is why Laurin was unable to sense any fish.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    Obviously, the ocean is made of beer, not water, which is why Laurin was unable to sense any fish.
    It's the legendary Blue Beer ETM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    It's the legendary Blue Beer ETM.
    The grand Indigo IPA, the fabled drink said to be brewed with Astral Barley and simmered over the flame of Tiamat's own disciples, whose potency is so outstanding that it would be undrinkable if it weren't for the fact that the alcohol content is so high that it shuts off the part of your brain that realizes you are drinking too much. Sparkling in the sunlight, glowing amidst the stars, Indigo IPA is the single greatest drink known to the universe, and curiously every world capable of brewing it ended up having the obliterated brew filtering through the very fabric of reality into the Snarl.

-Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Back to the OP question, even if that were the case and the Scribblers went into the Rift... so? What would that actually change?
    It's not like it disrupts anything, or changes any of the plot points, really. But if the Scribblers went into the Rift, then I'd expect the Order would do the same.

It would make sense to have the final battle in an entirely different world/dimension -- makes it suitably Epic for a fate-of-the-world fight. It also changes the dynamics and the rules everyone's working with, which serves as a great "oh no" moment. Think Xen from Half-Life 1.