New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Free Ferelden (BoL Hack)

With the threat mostly gone, James does what he can to remain in the background inconspicuously. He was very lucky for the presence of an onlooking mage today. Not that he'd have had trouble fighting a posh human preening like a peacock, but better to avoid trouble than get involved to no one's benefit like he just did.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacques sighs in relief and nods to the Circle mage. "Thanks, ma'am."

He considers trying to tempt her, but looks at the templars next to her and decides not to push it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Circle Mage maybe smiles. The charcoal is barely smoldering and its red glow has become quite faint. The clouds are beginning to part, though, and fragments of silver moonlight glimmer on the water that flows gurgling along the sides of the boat. "My name is Cynara," she replies - and, patting the arm of the templar who supported her, "this is Charles. And the mean one -" she giggles and waves at the templar who kicked the short Orlesian in the nuts - "is Ardric." It's impossible to read her face, but her silhouette suggests she's waiting expectantly for James and his companions to name themselves. She's unusually friendly considering that she's human and he's an elf.

Abe recognizes the giddiness that comes from contact with the Fade. The Circle Mage is fey. Unpredictable. Whimsical. Emotionally fragile. Filled with a memory of the might of magic. Dangerous.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacques smiles."My name is Jacques."

5. - Top - End - #35

Chimera

"I'm James. Thanks for the help."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Fela curtsies neatly. "Fela, ma'am."

7. - Top - End - #37

"Not a problem," Cynara says dreamily. "But now I must rest ... Ardric, please stop looming at the petty nobles, and fetch some pallets from under the deck house."

The groin-kicker huffs at her and goes to ask the captain where the sleeping pallets are.

The boat rocks gently under the rising moon, which now illuminates the deck and the rippling river. The clouds have mostly drifted eastward from the sky overhead, but more loom over the Frostbacks in the west. The respite in rainfall is, as usual, merely temporary. Perhaps you will get to see the sun rise in the morning.

With the rocking motion and the day of travel and the anti-climax to the brief excitement, sleep comes pretty easy. You wake to the sound of marsh-birds taking flight, their wings like a rushing of stormwinds. The eastern horizon is aglow with pink and yellow clouds; there is a clear patch of blue sky stretching from near the horizon up overhead and a little west; and you can see rain approaching from upriver.

The next thing you notice is that the faintly glowing ropes that bind the waking Orlesian nobility have begun to sublimate, wisps of glowing blue smoke drifting up from the bonds to waft away eastward on the breeze. They haven't their rapiers - the captain confiscated those while people were settling down for sleep - but they still have lousy attitudes.

You can interact with any of the NPCs, or just keep to yourselves. Post your intentions please.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    Mythistorical bundle

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The bard looks around to see if anyone looks like they could use some entertainment.

9. - Top - End - #39

Three of the hands are working on raising the fore-and-aft sail. Another is cooking breakfast - pork and eggs with kale. The last two are counting barrels under the captain's watch. The Circle Mage and her templars are waiting for breakfast. They seem to have resumed the argument whether to be put ashore in the marsh on the north bank. The dwarf merchant and his human servant are keeping quietly to themselves back aft, also awaiting breakfast.

The hands raising the sail are whistling disunitedly, each with his or her own melody. The music seems almost to interfere with their work as their tunes and rhythms clash discordantly.
    Mythistorical bundle

10. - Top - End - #40

Chimera

James sits against a wall and mutters to himself. His foot taps nervously. Anyone who walks by might catch "my bumbling fool self" or "need to polish up my people skills". He's too irritable for an event that already happened. Maybe he's not caring for the rocking of the boat?
    Or maybe he's just hungry...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Fela keeps a careful eye on the Orlesian's while pretending not to. She furrows her brow at the crew's singing, surely if they've worked together any length of time they should have synchronised some?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacques looks over the sailors, torn between wanting to help them synchronize their songs and not wanting to interrupt their work.

Finally, he stands up and walks over.

"Good day. I appreciate your work. Would you like some music, while you toil?"

13. - Top - End - #43

One of the sail-hands is a rough looking dwarf with very bushy eyebrows. Another is an Ander man wearing a blue bandana. The third is an unremarkable human girl. They all look at Jacques with surprise. The dwarf and the girl shrug and smile. The Anderling gestures to his ears and shakes his head with a frown. "No speak," he replies. Evidently he doesn't know Common.

Spoiler
    Show
    Performance check as before - TN 5 for acceptable, 10 for impressive. I hope you don't mind that I'll make the roll this time, and you narrate the results.Music 1 - (d20+3)[9]; Music 2 - (d20+3)[16]
    Mythistorical bundle

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing that most of them seem to be acquiescing, and that the only one who said "no" was expressing that he simply didn't speak the language, Jacques shrugs and gets started.

He's a few words into "Andraste's Mabari," when he starts to wonder if that was the best choice for the audience in question. The question makes him stumble a bit. Still, it's too late to stop the performance now.

Jacques sighs as he finishes. Okay. Now: what is most likely to be a hit with any audience? And since most of the songs I know are in Orlesian or the King's Tongue, what's the one an Ander with almost no grasp of the King's Tongue is most likely to grasp and appreciate?

Jacques starts with the verse of the Chant of Light describing the Maker's dissatisfaction with his first children, who don't have to work to have anything they might want, and yet have no ability to create anything new.

He sees smiles as the sailors throw themselves into their work.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-09-19 at 03:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Once the sails are up and the anchor hauled, the day's sailing goes swiftly downriver. The Circle mage and the templars stay aboard, as do the quietly grumbling Orlesian nobility. By midafternoon more clouds have drifted in from the west, and the rain starts again.

Then two broad rowing boats, each about fifteen feet long, come briskly upriver from the marsh at the north bank. The boats are manned by eight men apiece - four rowers paired side by side amidships and four others crouching fore and aft, clad in chain and leather armor. They rapidly close the distance to the dwarf captain's vessel, and the biggest warrior in the lead boat gingerly stands, holding a hooked rope loosely in one hand. He hurls the hook toward the big boat. Ranged Attack TN 10 - (d20+2)[13]
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-09-23 at 09:40 AM.
    Mythistorical bundle

16. - Top - End - #46

Chimera

James is going to get his bow out and ready as soon as he sees another boat on the horizon. When he sees the man throwing a hook at the ship James is on, he takes aim and waits for the captain to start giving out commands. Though, while he might be waiting for the captain, if someone tries to board without permission, he's shooting them, orders or no orders.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacques puts his lute down and pulls out his darts, ready to attack anyone who's (somehow) still standing after James, Abe, and Cynara are through.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I hide before the action starts to make myself more effective. Sneaky gives me two rolls for that. So, that's (1d20+3)[12] for the first one, and (1d20+3)[18] for the bonus roll.

18. - Top - End - #48

The hook bounces off the sail, clatters across the deck, and grips deeply into the gunwale of the boat you're on. With a heave of his shoulders, the big warrior brings his smaller boat alongside and as he does so the rowers ship their oars, seize axes, and come to their feet. The small boat rocks alarmingly but does not capsize.

"They's a river toll now," says the big warrior with a crooked smile. He speaks the King's Tongue well. "Two gold a passenger and five for the boat. ... In the name of the Queen!" he adds with a darting glance at the Orlesians. His chest and shoulders are above the gunwale, as are those of his eleven comrades, who each hold a weapon one-handed. They all have handholds on the gunwale and are ready to jump aboard.
    Mythistorical bundle

19. - Top - End - #49

Chimera

James takes extra special care to aim for the heart of the one who spoke. He uses all the time he can get to line up a shot for the moment the man climbs aboard.

20. - Top - End - #50

The Templars slept in their armor as was the fashion in their order. The other passengers - except possibly Cynara - were in no way equipped for war. ... As the captain hesitates, his hand on the tiller, one of the axe wielding pirates rolls over the rail and comes to his feet on the deck, legs braced, axe raised. ... "Give up!" says the one with the grappling hook. He ducks down briefly beneath the gunwale, possibly lashing his boat to yours.
    Mythistorical bundle

21. - Top - End - #51

Chimera

James lets an arrow loose into the chest of the man that leapt aboard, aiming for the heart.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Attempting an All-Out Attack that will Pierce Armor:
    (1d20+6)[22] or (1d20+6)[16], whichever is higher (minus the armor bonus of the armor the guy is wearing, then +2 for All-Out Attack) against AC, for 10 damage (since Pierce Armor uses max damage).

Also I now have -2 AC and made myself the biggest target.

Then he shouts, "Flip the tiller and their rickety raft will give them trouble!"
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-23 at 12:15 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Show

1. I realized that a dozen passengers were too many for a fifteen foot boat, and cut the numbers down to eight per boat.
    2. Would you like to spend a Hero Point to make your success Mighty?
    Mythistorical bundle

23. - Top - End - #53

Chimera

Show

I would love to make it a mighty success. Let's do Knockdown, so he is blasted off the ship and into the water with a sizzling thunderclap from the Runic bow!
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-23 at 01:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Show
    ok... Narrate!
    Mythistorical bundle

25. - Top - End - #55

Chimera

James's bow builds a humming sound as the arrow fires, and as the arrowhead punches into the man's chest, a bolt of lightning forms between the bowstring and the arrow's fletching with a tremendous BOOM! The warrior is blasted off his feet and into the water, with a sizzling hole in his chest big enough to fit a hand into.
    Seeing the release of the tempest spirit he had bound years ago, James grins and blows on the center of his bow's grip. In his thoughts, he wonders if now was the best time to release such a strong spirit, but he doesn't regret the magnificent display it showed for him.

26. - Top - End - #56

There's a general shouting and confusion. Two of the river pirates fall backward into the water. Three, including the big one, leap aboard the dwarf captain's boat. The other three remain standing uncertainly in their boat. The dwarf swerves the tiller as James suggested, battering the small boat back and forth. The three warriors standing in that boat topple into the water as it wildly rocks. Now there are five armor-clad warriors splashing desperately, further and further behind the big boat as it continues swiftly downriver with the current and the wind.

"Surrender," says the hefty Orlesian, hands on his hips. "Give over your weapons and armor and we'll let you swim."

In response, the big warrior hurls his axe and pulls another from his belt; a third hangs there as well. Ranged Attack v AC 12 - (d20+2)[22] dmg - (d6+1)[6]

The hand axe spins through the air, blade-over-handle, seeming to move slowly, but its blade strikes the Orlesian's face with a swift crunching noise. He sways for an instant, then collapses backward to the deck with a thump that shakes the boards.

The templars draw their swords. The shorter Orlesian calls helplessly for his rapier. The dwarf captain keeps his hand on the tiller astern, watching the sail and the water. The hands have formed a line across the deck between the captain and the conflict near the bow. They hold small weapons, knives and wooden bars.

Cynara seems to be gathering herself for another spell.

The three pirates, seeing themselves outnumbered, nevertheless seem unreasonably willing to fight.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-09-25 at 09:13 AM.
    Mythistorical bundle

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Fela flings a dart she had hidden... somewhere, straight at the man who hurled the axe.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    (1d20+3)[7] (1d6)[3]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacques pulls one from his sleeve and throws it too. (1d20+3)[15]

Spoiler: Target
    Show
    Fela probably misses, unless she spends a Hero Point or I'm seriously underestimating these guys armor. And Jacques goes after her in initiative, so he'd see her miss and realize the guy who (probably) killed the Orlesian is still standing.

So unless Fela wants to spend a Hero point, I'm probably going to aim at the axethrower.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacques watched as Fela's dart flew past the large pirate, and stepped out of his cover to throw his own.

He considered where he might hit to incapacitate the river pirate. It had always been his way. Even when he'd been a bard, he'd never been an assassin. He'd killed: sometimes you don't have a choice. But he always preferred not to, and he'd certainly never gone into a fight with the intention of killing before.

He caught a glimpse of his downed countryman out of the corner of his eye.

Jacques aimed for the pirate's throat, and the pirate went down, choking and coughing up blood.

He fought down a twinge of regret.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-09-25 at 11:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Chimera

Seeing the templars stepping into action, James stays his bow over his shoulder and draws his sword. He will put himself on guard as much as possible while moving to give the templars a straight path on the rocking ship.

He knows they're brawny enough to handle a couple of thugs on their own, after the others fell overboard.

Show

Assuming it's his turn, James will use the Full Defense combat option for +2 AC, for a total AC of 20
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-26 at 09:23 PM.