Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Free Ferelden (BoL Hack) - Game Thread

Abe gives a shrug, I definitely don't.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

"I can collect herbs and wild roots as well, so it looks like I'm getting us food. If I'm also the only one that can cook, then I won't be going first or last when we explore."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

As the companions discuss with increasing concern how they will feed themselves during the trek southeastward toward the abandoned Warden fortress, the rain ceases and a light cool breeze begins both to dry their woolen garments and to make them shiver. The imposing bluff continues to loom above them. The bridge arcs over their heads to the opposing bluff, a relatively slender span of ancient stone just wide enough for two wagons to pass each other, nearly a half mile long without supports in the middle. It must have been a marvel of engineering and magecraft even in Tevinter times. Nearby one of the four supporting feet of the bridge stands braced against the bluff, a twenty-foot-thick pillar of seamless white stone streaked with red brown veins. The pillar flares toward midstream at its top end forty feet above the companions. It has a regular pattern of indentations going up its vertical side.

The river Drakon ripples quietly behind them, lapping at the sandy beach where they stand. To either side the beach continues along the base of the bluff, material deposited at the inside of a slight bend in the river. The beach terminates at the outside of the next bend upriver, where the bluff seems lower - though that could just be the perspective of distance.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

4. - Top - End - #94

Chimera

With a careful squint and a glance to make sure of the position of the sun in the sky, James clicks his tongue and gestures vaguely down the beach.
    "Well, I'm inclined to get this task done as quickly and safely as possible. From the looks of it, we should head that way to find an easier time up this little cliff."
    As he starts walking, he takes a look at the water and wonders if he should try to go fishing or hunt down wild game...

5. - Top - End - #95

Forty five minutes later they've all scrambled up the tumbled part of the bluff where the river undercut it, sweeping away the sand and dirt that forms the beach on the inside of the curve just downriver. The ground at the top of the bluff is extremely uneven, grassy and bushy. A light rain is falling again.

The road from the bridge stretches away southeast. At the horizon they can make out hills covered with the dark green-grey of thick-growing conifer trees - probably the edge of the Brecilian Forest. Somewhere in there, near the road, is the ruined fortress they seek. Just before the hills they can see a faint cloud of smoke, held down by the rain. "That's probably South Reach," says Abe. "The road runs by there."
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    Mythistorical bundle

6. - Top - End - #96

Abe, James, and Jacques stood elbow to elbow atop the low hill that ringed the hundreds-yards-wide clearing. Under their feet the ground was a mix of centuries-tumbled grey stone, rotting brown pine needles, and dark green moss. The smells of rain and pine pitch filled their nostrils. A mizzle filled the air, coalesced and dripped from the needles of the pine branches that spread above their heads, and soaked their clothing and the slippery moss. Behind them stretched the silent, chilly forest of Brecilia. The road to South Reach was a day away.

Across the clearing hulked the remnants of a sturdy grey square building pierced by arrow slits and bigger windows. The ruined fortress of the Grey Wardens, who had pulled back out of the forests long ago. Who could know what lurked there now? Abe was confident that ancient knowledge had been abandoned in its library.
    Mythistorical bundle

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

"We're finally back in my comfort zone."

He turns to Abe. "Do you know where in this building we're headed?"

8. - Top - End - #98

Chimera

"I doubt it'll be as simple as looking for a particular room in that mess. Even something as sturdy as a vault could be well'n'buried at this point, couldn't it?"
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-03 at 12:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99

From his studies, Abe was familiar with the original floor plans of the ruined building, and indeed had a rough copy of the same on his person. He also had some notes regarding the spells he expected to find revealed in the library scrolls... Presuming any had survived the moist environs.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    ACE, here is your chance to metagame. In this thread, please describe the original floor plan to your comrades IC and post a link to any map you'd like to make; in OoC, let us know a list of several second magnitude spells for which you would like to meet the casting requirement for an arduous journey... If you don't feel imaginative about spells or architecture, I can step up.
    Mythistorical bundle

10. - Top - End - #100

kitchen kitchen dining room dining room dining room lesser stairs
    unknown unk dining room dining room dining room
    unk unk grand staircase passage training room training room
    prior's office prior's office Entrance Hall Entrance Hall training room training room
    prior's office prior's office Entrance Hall Entrance Hall training room training room
    Main Level

dormitories dormitories dormitories passage lesser stairs
    training room training room training room passage dormitories
    training room training room training room passage dormitories
    dormitories armory grand staircase passage dormitories
    dormitories armory top of entrance hall top of entrance hall dormitories
    dormitories scriptorium top of entrance hall top of entrance hall dormitories
    Upper Level

kitchen cellar kitchen cellar passage passage lesser stairs
    kitchen cellar kitchen cellar passage greater armory greater armory
    passage passage passage greater armory greater armory
    dungeon dungeon passage treasury treasury
    dungeon dungeon passage treasury treasury
    Lower level
    Mythistorical bundle

11. - Top - End - #101

The map does not show any windows. However, you can guess there would be some for each room. The hill you are on appears to encircle the clearing, like a low wall. From what you can see across the depressed clearing, the roof of the building has caved in and there are several windows at each level in each side of the building - you are facing a corner of it. A raised roadbed connects the left side of the building to a portion of the wall-hill about two hundred yards to your left. It would be fairly easy to clamber along and up the rubble to get to the near end of the roadbed. You can see that the roadbed runs about two thirds of the way across the clearing, and has three bridges along its length of about three hundred yards. At the end of the roadbed nearest to the building there is kind of a ledge with big doors in the building that would open onto the ledge. You can guess that's the Entrance Hall shown on the map.
    Mythistorical bundle

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hm. We might be able to access the Lesser Stairs from a window... If that is an option, should we do it?"

Jacques looks out over the fortress. "We won't have to enter through the main entrance that way. But will that save us any time or trouble?"

13. - Top - End - #103

Chimera

"I'm not sure if the effort is worth the cost, but we can try it that way if you prefer. I can provide overwatch with my bow, in case anything strange or wild is skulking about."

14. - Top - End - #104

There are windows even at the lowest level of the building, below where the causeway goes to the main doors. Based on the map, Abe guesses that the bottom window at the far right corner of the fortress would open onto the lowest flight of the lesser stairs. The companions set forth down the twenty foot hill and across the depressed clearing toward the fortress.

The floor of the clearing is very soft, almost squishy, composed of the same slippery dark green moss as was on the hill. The rain strengthens to a drizzle out from under the trees. It beads up into big drops on the twiggy branches and sparse leaves of the waist-high berry bushes that are scattered across the clearing.

About halfway across the clearing, James thinks he sees something move up on the shattered roof of the fortress.

Spoiler: OoC - Personal
    Show
    I will be offline from Friday-Sunday, back Monday.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-11-14 at 12:37 PM.
    Mythistorical bundle

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

""Hey James?" Jacques gestures to the berry bushes as the group passes them. "Are those safe to eat?"

16. - Top - End - #106

Chimera

"I'll take a closer look after we investigate the welcome party at the keep", James responds, pulling the fletching of a nocked arrow to his cheek, his wrist hovering over his shoulder and his entire upper body slightly turning. His eyes scan the area where he saw movement.

17. - Top - End - #107

Whatever might have been up on the roof no longer is moving. James finds no target. He relaxes his muscles deliberately, lowering the bow and gradually easing the string. The keep is barely within bowshot, anyway. He might not be able to hit something on the roof at this range.
    Mythistorical bundle

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

"Welcome..." Jacques pulls a knife and follows James's eyes. "Is there someone out there?"

19. - Top - End - #109

Chimera

"Or something, yes."
    He turns to the bushes and eyes them carefully.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Alchemist (1d20+1)[14]
    Does he know what these plants are, and if they are useful?

20. - Top - End - #110

The plants are mistberry bushes, James realizes. A small quantity - a half handful of berries - taken before sleep will lead a dreamer into the verges of the Fade. A greater quantity - not much more - will slow the sleeping heart to an appearance of death. More than that causes death.
    Mythistorical bundle

21. - Top - End - #111

Chimera

"We should grab some of those berries, but don't eat any. They may come in handy later."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

"Poison, then? Can it be used nonlethally, or is it a sure kill in any dose big enough to incapacitate?"

23. - Top - End - #113

Chimera

"I'm not sure it could be used as a weapon, but it can be lethal in high enough doses. I was thinking of their less deadly uses. Good idea, though."

He gathers a few handfuls to put in an empty coin pouch on his belt, and moves along.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-17 at 10:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

"I see."

Jacques picks two branches of berries, leaving the berries still attached to the branch, and puts them in an empty pouch.

"So, back to that welcoming party... is there any way up to the roof, or down from it?"

25. - Top - End - #115

They can see no obvious access to the partly-collapsed peaked roof of the fortress. Perhaps there are beams that lead up to the roof from its caved in section, or it could be accessible from the lesser stairs; the map does not show the roof. There are no external stairs or ladders to reach the roof.

As the group pauses in the middle of the clearing, two thirds of the way to the fortress, they see two large birds take flight from the roof of the building. The birds fly like ravens but they are significantly larger than one would expect. They swoop away eastward under the lowering grey clouds, just above the tops of the conifers.
    Mythistorical bundle

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we see anything to the east that looks odd? Other than the slightly odd birds that just flew that way.

27. - Top - End - #117

To the east of the clearing are the branches and shadows of the deep damp forest.
    Mythistorical bundle

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacques follows the birds with his eyes. "I don't think those birds are supposed to be that big. Are they?"

29. - Top - End - #119

Chimera

Exclamation Re: Free Ferelden (BoL Hack) - Game Thread

"I've heard tell that the Wilds are home to all manner of strange things. Most of them far stranger than those. I'm not surprised."

James looks as close as he can to discern any easy ways to gain entrance aside from the crumbling main gate.

"Let's get to the base of the fort and take a look around. It might be simpler to go in the front door, but it rubs me the wrong way."
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-11-18 at 06:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacques nods. "Sounds good to me." He looks to the rest of the party.