The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

The Hunt for Luiz and Claudia

Eva, Saleh, and Harvey began to canvas the surrounding lot and wilderness behind the Trainside Café while Roger hung out back at the café with Cat and Tanis – overseen by Jeremy and Rosa while they finished up their business with Sutherland and Lee. They had huddled back into the café itself, and sat around a booth drinking the some hot chocolate that Tanis managed to scrape together safely out of sight of the pile of stained clothing that once was Edmundson.

For those who were looking for the wayward cook and waitress, they didn’t have to go very far. Just past the edge of the café’s parking lot was an old storage shed that was used primarily for keeping the café’s pressure washer, and other tools used for lot and garden upkeep and maintenance.

The door was adjar – a lock laying scattered on the asphalt near it. But the sounds of soft sobbing could be heard echoing from within.

Claudia was pasty-white, like the belly of a fish with clammy skin and was laying on the dirty floor with her head in Luiz’ lap as she cried. The cook seemed just a bit more put together, but the erractic twitching of his facial expressions and frantica searching of his eyes showed his own instability.

They’d gone next to catatonic inside the shed to hide, the vision of horror they’d come across searing itself indelibly into their waking minds.

There was hardly any sign of recognition as the door was nudged open by Eva to reveal their hiding spot.

Mister Moon

It didn’t take too long to receive some sort of response from Driver’s fixer.

It never did.

No matter the time of day, or where the mysterious benefactor was hiding out, his response was always prompt, succinct and full of whatever details that were necessary at the immediate moment.

In this particular case, Mr. Moon’s response was…uncharacteristic in it’s pure lack of information.

<<Sorry to hear that, Driver. Some nasty business, the Filth. Hope you like horror movies. Normally I don’t touch the Filth. But you’ve done good work for me, so I’ll send you a care package in the morning. Good luck.>>

It didn’t tell him much, exactly, aside from the fact that it seemed his fixer had at least a passing knowledge of whatever was going on. Maybe not the specifics for this situation, but if Moon had some experience in the past it was good that he was at least trying to keep an eye out for Driver.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Driver

Raising a brow, Driver was rather surprised by his Fixer's response. Seems Mr. moon knew quite about the world they lived in...but, he wasn't going to pry. It's not biting the hand that feeds you to ask a question, but it's also best to not annoy it. Just smile and take your feed.

"Thanks. I'll update you if I see anything else odd. There may be profit to be made here with this Company or whatever." he messages back, before putting his phone down, and getting ready for bed.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

A flashlight, sweeping the night with Harvey and Saleh's help to find who they were looking for. It didn't take long. The shed's door was open, its lock on the ground, and sounds of crying were coming from inside. The math was clear. Holding up a hand for the others to give her a sec and slinging the rifle on her back, Eva Cartwright advanced, a hand held out in a greeting, soothing gesture.

"Hey, Luiz... Claudia... you doing okay there?"

Soft. Gentle. Whether it was training or just raw talent for calming people, the constable shined the light near them, but not on them. Nobody liked a Maglite beam to the face.

"You're safe, now. You got through it."

(6d10)[7][10][8][7][10][6](48) - Empath merit roll used to ease breaking points.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

(2d10)[8][10](18) 10 agains

(2d10)[5][1](6) if the 10s explode again

OOC: Exceptional Success on Empath. Should generate a positive Condition -- and be extra helpful maybe? ;)
    Last edited by Lokio; 2019-10-20 at 10:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

FINDING THE CIVVIES

The relief that was plainly visible in Luiz’ eyes at the sight of a uniformed police officer gave Eva a firm idea that at least he would be okay after a good night sleep. Though, to be fair, it wasn’t likely he’d seen all of the horror that had played out in the café itself.

Claudia, however, had seen much more.

Despite the shock, something in Claudia seemed to deflate as Eva’s soothing words whispered through the storage shed. The woman gave a stiff nod, and with Luiz’ arm wrapped about her shoulder, the two of them staggered up to their feet with the help of Saleh. The Syrian woman was watching the two of them with a concerned eye when she wasn’t glancing at Eva appraisingly.

”[i]Dios Mio!” Luiz muttered. ”What in nombre de dios was that…thing?” The question was perhaps abstract, not asked of anyone in particular. But Eva was the most likely to be able to give at least some sort of answer.

Kan alshaytan.” Saleh spoke softly, honey eyes seeking across the horizon as she helped lead the two troubled souls out of the shed. While neither Luiz nor Claudia spoke what Eva thought sounded like Arabic, something about the words struck a chord and Luiz was quick to make the sign of the Cross over his breast.

”What is the plan, Constable?” Saleh asked.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Exceptional success! Due to the awesomeness of that roll, I’ve re-evaluated Luiz and Claudia. Claudia was going to be given the Fugue condition and Luiz was going to be given the Spooked condition. Neither will suffer now.

On top of which, I think it might be appropriate to grant Eva the Steadfast condition. When you fail a roll you can resolve the condition to grant a single success.

Great job!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

With a sigh, Eva explained, "Something dark and nasty... and alien. But for now, let's take it easy. Let's get you out of here for now, get y'all home. There's someone I'd like to introduce you two to who can explain it all a heck of a lot better than me."

Glancing to Saleh and pondering a moment before replying to her question, she replied, "It might make sense for you to introduce them to the Professor. He's probably the right person to... tell this story?" She shrugged, giving a sigh. This was so, so not what she thought her shift was going to end up as...

Spoiler: ST
    Show
    Good to proceed to the next day, ideally with Saleh getting them briefed off screen by the Prof.
    Last edited by Lokio; 2019-10-23 at 04:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBR 11th, 2019

Sleep had not come easily to those who witnessed such horror.

In the dark of the night, when the mind was keen to wander down the twisting roads of the subconscious mind, the visions came fast and terrible.

Dreams of broken bodies used as cocoons for unearthly, alien things. Dreams of blood and viscera and pain. Dreams of standing upon the shore staring out into the night, where a starless sky joined with black water until it seemed that all before you was absolute. Dreams of inky filth that slithered and wriggled like maggots upon the corpse of the world.

Dreams of something old watching from behind and within that endless black.

And when the sun finally crept slowly up in the East, the radiant beams of light filtering through mountains and forests seemed to barely banish the gloomy, autumn morning. At some point during the night the misty spray in the air had become a light dusting of snow that covered everything in a thinning blanket of white.

It was a strange dichotomy; the purity of the untouched snow…and the filthy horrors that they now knew lurked just beyond the proverbial firelight.

Before the night had run its course, however, there was still some activity amongst those involved. Jeremy had bundled Cat and Tanis up and brought them home to Cat’s place. Liz was understandably a bit concerned as to the state of their daughter and her friend, but seemed to take it in stride when Jeremy had told her they’d talk about it the next day. Liz had even offered to let Jeremy crash on the couch. It was a strange offer, but it was a strange night and perhaps Jeremy’s ex-wife was perceptive enough to pick up on the troubled shadows that hid behind his eyes.

Harvey had brought Roger home, and the young man had seemed readily accepting of taking whatever it was that would help him forget the horrors he’d seen. Having tucked Roger in, and brushed off any questions from the rest of their family, Harvey listlessly watched his brother toss and turn. At one point, it seemed as if he’d begun to have a fever though it had broken swiftly and otherwise the night had passed uneventfully.

Rosa had spent her night pouring through the strange coding of the program she’d contained in that hard drive. The one that had begun her own sojourn into the mouth of madness. Her dreams were filled with a cascade of strange algorithms and code that she felt bending her mind into strange paradigms.

Driver had managed to get back to his place unscathed. Despite Mister Moon’s indication he’d send Driver some information, he waited and waited but nothing had come through. Even an attempt to shoot Taker a message had been unanswered as well. As he tossed and turned in bed, there was a palpable sense of tension waiting in the air – like a bubble, overfull, ready to pop.

And as for Eva, after she and Saleh had brought Luiz and Claudia back to meet with Professor Sutherland and Lee, the constable had parted ways for the evening with an ardent promise from the Professor to make sure the two were well taken care of. She had spent the rest of the night staring at the reams of paperwork that she’d had to take care of, mind constantly flowing back to play over the events of the night before.

In the morning, when they’d all awoken, they were met with a text message on their phones. Whether or not they’d provided their phone numbers or not didn’t seem to matter. The message was there, regardless.

<<Good morning. I hope you managed to find some sleep. I know I was not able to after my own encounter so many years ago. If it pleases you, please come to the attached address where we can speak freely. Coffee and muffins will be provided. –Sutherland>>

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Before the night had run its course, however, there was still some activity amongst those involved. Jeremy had bundled Cat and Tanis up and brought them home to Cat’s place. Liz was understandably a bit concerned as to the state of their daughter and her friend, but seemed to take it in stride when Jeremy had told her they’d talk about it the next day. Liz had even offered to let Jeremy crash on the couch. It was a strange offer, but it was a strange night and perhaps Jeremy’s ex-wife was perceptive enough to pick up on the troubled shadows that hid behind his eyes.
    Jeremy had not slept well, and was unable to sleep in that morning. He rose from the couch, in a strange room, and needed a moment to catch his bearings. He was even more put off when he saw the snow outside the window. Snow in September? Perhaps that's how it was up North, but it made the man's skin crawl.

Somehow, Jeremy had managed to put much of the night's strangeness out of his mind for a moment. He was on the way to go check in on Cat in her room, just to make sure she was sound asleep and comfortable, when the text message came in.

<<Good morning. I hope you managed to find some sleep. I know I was not able to after my own encounter so many years ago. If it pleases you, please come to the attached address where we can speak freely. Coffee and muffins will be provided. –Sutherland>>
    The digital words on the small glass screen helped bring back every minutia of the night's events, and it made his stomach roll over. He didn't want to follow the Professor's directions, but he couldn't stay here. Jeremy couldn't face Liz this morning. He'd already overstayed his welcome by crashing on the couch, and lord knew what Cat would say about the previous evening.

Jeremy resolved that first he would go back to his motel, shower and change, and then, if he couldn't think of anything better, he'd make his way to the listed address.

Of course, he never did think of anything better.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

9. - Top - End - #99

NecromancerGuy

Driver

Not a Thing Driver thought as dawn rolled around. Mr. Moon seems to either think he's crazy...or worse. Stepped into something a bit too big for him. Either way, no messages from Taker only added to his sense of foreboding. It may be best for him to be more cautious going further. He pulls open his curtain slowly, checking outside. Once he knows the coast is clear, he makes his way out and gets into his car, heading to the meeting place outlined in the message.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

After a odd night and making sure Roger feels good Harvey decides to attend this meeting this time with a crowbar and a flashlight in his car and a knife beneath the driver's seat. Just in case things go wrong again.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rosa wakes up with a start in her small flat. Every light in the place was on, just like she'd left it. Even the half bottle of Port in her stomach hadn't been enough to help her sleep, not while there were shadows about. Shadows where she could imagine a creeping infection would spread...

Rubbing her eyes, she gets up and takes another swig of Port before getting into the shower and staying there for a good half hour. Eventually, finally, she gets out and with bleary eyes checks her messages. "Great, Dr. Caligari still wants to have a chat and I wasn't just having a nightmare. Ugh, fine."

She sets her keurig to brewing some coffee while she starts collating some of the most solid evidence she has on file concerning the freaky stuff she'd been noticing onto a tablet. She had promised to try and corroborate the guy's story, at least in terms of this not being a singular freaky incident.

Taking the tablet, and after a moment's thought, her mini projecter, she heads out to her rental, taking it slow on the way to the address.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Paperwork. It was a long, long night of overtime, putting words to page about the shift's incidents. As Sutherland said, she didn't bother to put anything down just yet about the incident at the bar. Her service weapon was cleaned, her rounds reloaded, and as the visions slithered into her subconscious even as she fought to keep them out, she found herself sleepless. The paper was more pleasant to stare at than sleep would have been, of that she was sure. The nightmares would have been real.

The text came, eventually breaking her of her reverie. A shower. A hot cup of coffee and a day old everything bagel. Mouthwash. Teeth brushed. Thank God she didn't have to work the next day. It was her weekend, four days off that would hopefully bring rest...

...and answers.

Putting on an athletic zip-up sweater over a tank top and a pair of jeans on, Eva holstered her pistol in an underarm sling beneath the zip-up. All the license she needed to carry it was in the handsome badge of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Jumping into her personal vehicle, she headed for the meet, wondering what the hell Sutherland had to tell them and if it was anything better than yesterday...

or maybe it was all a dream

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeremy

When Jeremy had checked in on Cat, he saw his daughter had tossed and turned so much that her covers were splayed across the off-white carpet of her bedroom floor. He felt a pang in his chest at the sight, realization washing across him like a chilled wave at just how messed up the last twenty-four hours had been. This situation had, in all likelihood, indelibly marked his daughter in some way.

He’d slipped out of the house silently, and plucked his way across town in the early morning to his motel. A calm had settled on Terrace that seemed to make his skin crawl – how such serenity hid horror just below the surface.

The hot shower was nice, washing some of the tension away, but it did little to help the uncomfortable feeling in his gut. As he dressed for the day, something kept pulling his gaze to the small television on the nightstand that occupied the spot perpendicular to his bed. Memories of the static-filled voice that spoke to them in the diner came unbidden, and as if with an afterthought, Jeremy unplugged the motel phone and television.

Just in case.

Driver

The curtains parted at Driver’s urging, his gaze settling on the quiet winter wonderland that had seemed to crop up overnight. The snow, light though it was, blanketed the city and the street showed no sign of having been traveled on.

All was clear as Driver set himself about the task of preparing to meet the professor.

Harvey

Roger had seemed a bit feverish across the night, but awoke seemingly fit and healthy. The only thing that Harvey thought might have been strange was that he was ravenously hungry – and wolfed down three helpings of corn flakes before tottering off to use the bathroom. He rambled during breakfast about getting together with some friends to play the new Call of Duty game, but made no mention of the night prior. Perhaps the tonic the professor had given Harvey worked its magic?

Rosa

The process of getting ready for the meeting was slow going, checking and double checking data and variables. The deeper Rosa dug into this mystery, the deeper it seemed the proverbial rabbit hole went.

A cursory evaluation had brought up at least a half-dozen incidents from fringe sites on the internet talking about black slime and strange monsters, but those stories were from people that Rosa would normally consider crackpots.

But, it seemed she could easily be counted among their number now she realized, as she put the finishing touches on her information.

The tired looking clerk at the desk gave her a timid wave on her way out, but the streets seemed eerily quiet and devoid of traffic as she steadily headed out to the meeting.

Eva

During the long hours staring at paperwork in a brightly lit room – Eva couldn’t bear to shut them off and let the shadows creep in – something of note came across her desk that made her breath hitch.

An APB had been posted in the wee hours of the morning for one Doctor Edmundson. He had, apparently, been declared missing by his immediate supervisor at Brighton House. Director Amelia Hart.

Grabbing a copy of the APB, Eva prepped herself and headed out to meet the other unfortunate souls who Sutherland had requested to join him.

Through a fortuitous chance of fate, everyone arrived within minutes of one another in the sparsely occupied parking lot of the Northern Motor Inn. It was relatively close to the city center, but it looked a bit worse for wear. The sign flickered intermittendly, but a middle-aged man in a heavy parka was busy shoveling the light blanket of snow off the sidewalks.

Standing on the outdoor walkway of the second floor of the motel, they saw Lee leaning on the railing smoking a cigarette in the early morning gloom.

As they arrived, he took a final drag before flicking the butt into the snow of the parking lot and waving them up haphazardly.

14. - Top - End - #104

NecromancerGuy

The Cold wasn't the worst. Driver's been in some cold places in his day, but this was awfully sudden. he thought there would be at least another good day of sun. Or maybe he didn't pay attention to the weather report. After all, he just had his perception of the world shattered. He slips on a few extra layers of clothing and tosses on a scarf with some gloves.

The drive is uneventful, and he finds himself getting to the meeting location at the same time as everyone else. He hops out, trying to get out of the cold as soon as possible. He gives Lea a nod as he makes his way inside.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rosa grabbed her stuff and heads for the door. Sidling up to Jeremy, she asks, "How's Cat? You don't have a murder face going, so I'm guessing we don't have reason to punch these guys at least?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

16. - Top - End - #106

BardGuy

"Good morning!"

Harvey follows the waving hand.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Grabbing a copy of the APB with a frown on her youthful face before she hit the road, Eva Cartwright sighed. Edmundson's disappearance would likely never be solved, but the fact that he was being declared missing so damn quickly told her a thing. Normally, the cops wouldn't react so fast. He'd only left, what, the night before? Who did Hart have on the force to move it so quick? These were the thoughts that troubled the young constable as she pulled her vehicle into the parking lot for the motel, stepping out and pulling a coat on from the back seat of her nothing-special personal vehicle.

"Hey," she said to the group quietly, clutching the paper in her hand as she followed them up the stairs to where Lee was smoking.

"Got something you might want to see."

But it could wait a second, until they were inside, until they were with the prof and the swordfighter.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Rosa grabbed her stuff and heads for the door. Sidling up to Jeremy, she asks, "How's Cat? You don't have a murder face going, so I'm guessing we don't have reason to punch these guys at least?"
    Trying to maintain a mask of calm, Jeremy says, "She's fine. Was still sleeping when I left. You?" A casual observer might think the man was a cold collected killer, a Clint Eastwood character, but close observation of the fighter's wavering glassy eyes said otherwise.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rosa grimaces, "I've slept better, but I think I'll be okay. Lets go see what these guys have for us."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I can't wait," Jeremy says dryly, perhaps too tired to truly emphasize the sarcasm as he had intended, adding, "After you."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

The cheap motel room looked like some kind of trope out of a crime movie. It had two single beds with the ugliest floral-print sheets and blankets they’d ever seen. There was a pull-out couch that was a too-pale-for-beige color, and while the overall feel of the room was cheap, a bit dingy and distinctly outdated, it still seemed rather well-kept by the three occupants. A number of large cardboard boxes – the kind you’d find in an accountant’s office – were stacked about the room and filled to the brim with various papers and other research documents that may have helped them in their investigations.

Saleh was sitting cross-legged on the couch, sliding a whetstone gently across the curved blade of her sword. As Lee ushered the others into the room, she flashed them a pitying smile.

”Good morning.” She murmured softly. ”Help yourself to some coffee. It isn’t very good but it’s hot and strong.” On the small kitchenette near the bathroom, there was a tall decanter of freshly brewed coffee. A small carton of cream and a bowl of sugar cubes sat next to a small pile of simple, white ceramic mugs.

Professor Sutherland was sitting at the only desk in the room, leafing through a thick tome bound in aged and faded leather as they arrived.

After a moment, he closed the book with a dusty slam and rose to greet them. Unlike Lee and Saleh, who were already dressed and ready to go for the day, Sutherland was wearing a pair of comfortable looking blue silk pajamas and his somewhat frizzy white hair was stuck to the side of his head from where he slept upon it.

”Ah! Good morning, good morning! Punctuality is so appreciated in these troublesome days. I do hope that you all at least had a modicum of half-way decent sleep, though it would not surprise me if that was not the case. Witnessing such events is such a dark thing to experience, and the human mind struggles frequently to accept what it has seen.”

While there were barely any real seats available, Sutherland gestured to the beds with a gnarled, wizened hand. ”Please, as Saleh said, grab a coffee if you would like and find someplace comfortable to sit. Have you eaten? The room service is not the greatest, but they do make a mean bacon and eggs.”

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jeremy simply grunts in response to the kind gestures offered by Saleh and The Professor, and makes his way over to the coffee, pushing gruffly past anyone milling about in his way. At the table, he finds the largest cup or mug possible and fills it with the coffee, forgoing milk or sugar. He then finds himself a seat somewhere, collapsing into it, and huddling himself around the cup of coffee like a campfire on a Canadian winter night.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rosa looks around, "So, I take it this group isn't exactly funded by a bunch of eccentric billionaires. I'm not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed."

Looking rather pointedly at the sword she states, "Is that sort of thing necessary a lot of the time? I can throw a not horrible punch, but fighting isn't really my thing."

24. - Top - End - #114

NecromancerGuy

Driver

Driver's eyes flash between the three hunters, as well as the others from the dinner. Great, everyone's together. They seemed skilled enough, and with a cop on their side breaking into that company's facility should be a bit easier. just flash what looks like a warrant. it's a good enough distraction. He makes his way to the coffee, letting the black brew poor in his cup. he's about to take a sip...until her remembers last night

Maybe a bit of milk, put some color into it.

He takes his seat. He looks over to the sword as Rosa does "As popular a hobby fencing is, I find shooting someone in the face with a gun to be a bit more effective." Driver gives a thin-lipped smile "I'm good on food, for now, It's best we discuss why were ere...Monsters. Are these just your Universal variety? Vamps, Werewolves, Sasquatch? Or more..creative. Don't recognize black bleeding devourers in the movies. Least not the one's I watch."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

While everyone helped themselves to coffee, the three hunters had settled themselves down comfortably – though Lee took a moment to brace a heavy suitcase against the door to impede easy egress into the room. It would appear to the casual onlooker as a bit odd; perhaps a bit paranoid. But given the strangeness of the last twenty-four hours, could anyone really blame him?

”That would certainly make life so much easier.” Sutherland chuckled softly at Rosa’s question. ”We three are not the only hunters around. Hunters exist across the entirety of the world, my dear, and some of them even have disposable wealth to help the cause. But to imply were are a well-funded secret organization is a gross misunderstanding of what it is we do. We are not a regimented army of sorts, fighting against evil. We are but regular people who are doing what is right to protect those who cannot do it themselves.” He explained slowly, while he massaged the gnarled and withered hand with his much healthier looking one.

”An apt anology would be like a resistance group. Many cells operating independently, though keeping in touch just enough to share information, yet distant enough to not compromise others if we fall. Lee, Saleh and myself are but three of the Vancouver cell. We left a handful of our companions back home to hold down the proverbial fort while we did our digging up here.”

”As for the sword my dear Saleh carries..” Sutherland continued. ”Not all of us are fighters. I assure you that sword has tasted unclean blood far more than most of our number. I, myself, am quite old as you may have noticed.” He said with a good-natured chuckle. ”I leave the fighting to Lee and Saleh most of the time.”

”And we leave the research to the Professor.” Saleh piped up with a smirk. ”It takes all sorts to combat evil.”

The conversation lulled as the rest of those gathered finished fetching a coffee and settled down to continue their discourse. Lee was leaning against the wall near the front door, his wicked baseball bat close at hand.

”Monsters.” Lee muttered after Driver had spoken. ”Yeah, that’s the jist of it.” This elicited a small laugh from Saleh and Sutherland.

”You’ll find vampires, werewolves, ghosts…the staples of Hollywood horror to be sure. I’ve never encountered a sasquatch myself, but I’ve heard from some colleagues who did. They’re not the most social, nor dangerous. From what I hear they like to keep to themselves. The Wendigo on the other hand? Farther north, but have a craving for human flesh.”

There was a pregnant pause as Lee let the information soak in before continuing.

”You can’t really think of it like the movies. For example, I’ve never met a vampire who was repelled by a cross. But Saleh here has met one that couldn’t abide seeing its reflection in a mirror. So…take it with a grain of salt. I’ve taken a werewolf out with a claymore, but we couldn’t put it down with normal bullets. We’ve seen ghosts, fairies, goblins, and other much nastier things. The Professor is pretty sure he’s encountered an honest-to-goodness Angel before, but that wasn’t anything like the Church would have you believe.”

Sutherland had a pained look in his eyes at that, before raising his good hand to silence Lee.

”The long and the short of it is, my friends, that most of the myths the world was built on hold at least a grain of truth. But even that is only the outermost layer of Truth. There are things deeper and darker than mankind and our monsters. You have encountered the spawn of such last night.” He paused again to let that sink in before continuing with a heavy sigh.

”I will cut to the chase. Get right to the point, yes? There are never enough Hunters. You have seen the truth. You survived seeing the truth. This makes you all valuable. I would like you to consider working with us to keep everyone safe. Your friends, your family, your neighbors…each other. There is enough trouble brewing up here in town that we need a permanent presence in Terrace and the surrounding area. We cannot keep splitting our cell in Vancouver to keep watch up here as well. It is a thankless job, on the whole, but we can at least provide a modest sum of money to all of you for your services. Enough to help keep you afloat if needs be.”

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rosa tilts her head, "Is there some kind of database or at least books we could peruse? Telling us that all the myths are true... sort of, isn't exactly the sort of specific information I'd like on hand when dealing with honest to god werewolves, and I doubt you want to spend month teaching us what you know."

While she speaks, she quickly sets up the portable projector she'd brought and flips through a few images before throwing up a picture of the strange code she'd been teased with onto the most convenient wall. "In the meantime, is there anything you can tell me about this? You seemed to know something about it. I came to this town because of it, and there are coordinates embedded in there. They point to an old mine outside of town."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-11-14 at 07:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The speech of the so called Hunters is like nails on the chalk board of Jeremy's sleep deprived brain. He was already skeptical of everything that had transpired the night before, his rational brain already starting to rationalize away many of the events. And the coffee was not enough to anesthetize his headache, exacerbated by the dribble of vampires and werewolves that Jeremy was hearing. "Proof," Jeremy mumbles through a heavy slurp of coffee, "where is the proof of everything you are saying?" The words were more fore himself, though Jeremy was speaking too loudly.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rosa looks to Jeremy, "Right, sorry. I have some of that I think. I've been poking around this sort of stuff for a while now, but I didn't share it with anyone because I was half afraid I was going nuts. The code up there on the wall was the start of it for me, it doesn't behave like normal computer code at all, it appears to rewrite itself on the fly, and it's able to communicate with devices that use completely different programming languages without any apparent translation function, something that should not be possible. It doesn't even appear to be binary in nature, meaning our computers should not be able to process it at all, and yet they do. I was halfway to thinking that I had stumbled upon an alien computer virus when I started finding hints of other weird stuff in the process of trying to track down where it came from."

"I cannot offer absolute proof, and I don't know if they can either without arranging encounters with these creatures they're talking about. But here is what I came up with for the sake of this meeting. I'm going to show the three best pieces of evidence that I've ever dug up of supernatural events or beings, and two pieces of evidence that look convincing but I have managed to determine beyond a reasonable doubt to have been faked. I'll explain each one as best I can, and let you know which is which afterwards."

"It would not be definitive, but if these three can easily identify which ones are fake, well, my vote will be to at least play along for now."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    it is up to the Storyteller I think in regards to what evidence Rosa has uncovered and how this plays out
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-11-15 at 08:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

NecromancerGuy

Driver

Driver sits down on one of the chairs, leaning back and taking a sip of his coffee. Vampires, werewolves, and other such monsters. Maybe he should have given the ranting hobo's a chance. "Right then...Well, sure. I have nothing better to do. Monster hunting may be a good distraction from sheer boredom...and if we happen to find some photo evidence to sell later I could make some money on the side"

And now magic codes? At least it points out somewhere to go "Right right, Magical texts and emails, of course. Do they point to a mine around here? Why Not head over today? Unless we have some other world-saving item on the schedule today

30. - Top - End - #120

BardGuy

After Harvey looks around, he decides to take a seat on the edge of the bed closer to the door, keeping potential windows in view.
    "Well, personally I agree with Champ and would not mind some more of that proof?"

Harvey looks at Jeremy, hoping for approval of his Nickname.

"So...If I got this right, you are a global organization that well.. hunts stuff?
    I don`t run around and hurt people....
    But if the pictures are real I would not mind visiting what was it... Ascendyne Health and Wellness?
    And... confiscating... everything valuable they might have? If everybody gets out."