New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: The world, the Dark One, and quiddities

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    So is 96.25%, and 96.25% of statistics and numbers are pulled right out of thin air when the speaker is trying to make a point or embellishing a story.
    You have to wonder how much Shojo embellished. He was a liar and manipulator extraordinaire, it seems likely that he altered some details to maximize his ability to get the Order to do what he wanted without exposing vulnerabilities of the Azurites.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    27 minutes is remarkably specific.
    So is 96.25%, and 96.25% of statistics and numbers are pulled right out of thin air when the speaker is trying to make a point or embellishing a story.
    On this point:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This part is easy: saying "27 minutes" implies a level of precision that means it isn't hyperbole or rounding on the part of the speaker. If you say, "He destroyed the world in ten minutes," you could just be saying "It didn't take long." Using a random, non-round number says that it is the exact, literal time it took. I wanted it to be clear that Shojo knew exactly what had happened, and wasn't guessing or estimating.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I never really considered green quiddity playing a role ever again, probably cause I think the Giant has said that that was something he only made up to show how powerful the Snarl was? But then again, I think I might have gotten that from the TV tropes page, which has shown to be a terribly unreliable and outdated source

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    On this point:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I wanted it to be clear that Shojo knew exactly what had happened, and wasn't guessing or estimating.

Oh Giant, you sweet summer child...

For reals, though, I can understand not wanting to read audience speculation if you're a content creator. "There, this should plainly state X. Now, let's see what people are saying about it... NO IT'S NOT Y PEOPLE, C'MON!"
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-08 at 10:54 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Huh. Guess that's that theory shot down. Still a bit of a counterintuitive way to convey the message n the comic but the comments make it clear.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-09-09 at 12:24 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    Wasn't it pretty much confirmed that mortals don't really become gods? It's more that the idea of them is what ascends, at least that's what I got from it
    That's an interpretation, but not one that's been confirmed. And I, personally, just find it simpler and less contradictory to go with, yes, they are literally the actual person, and not just some representation of them created out of belief.

But I think people push the whole "shaped by belief" thing further than the story actually has (even though the story has gone far with it).
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-09-09 at 01:16 AM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

7. - Top - End - #37

It's not unreasonable to think that when a mortal achieves apotheosis their new god form absorbs or is created from their soul, even if the resulting god is a single quiddity. All of the gods have been sustained by multiple quiddity souls for countless billions and billions of years now, and have shown no sign of becoming multiple quiddity gods as a result.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not unreasonable to think that when a mortal achieves apotheosis their new god form absorbs or is created from their soul, even if the resulting god is a single quiddity. All of the gods have been sustained by multiple quiddity souls for countless billions and billions of years now, and have shown no sign of becoming multiple quiddity gods as a result.
    That's a good point- if Thor (or Thyrm since I think he's ascended?) isn't multi-quiddity now, why would TDO be multi-quiddity?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad