New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Base Class Contest XXXXVIII: Ruins and Caverns and Tombs, Oh My! Voting Thread

Welcome to the voting thread for Base Class Contest XXXXVIII: Ruins and Caverns and Tombs, Oh My! Voting will consist of each voter giving a first, second, and third place vote for three separate base classes. Anyone can vote, and in fact, entrants must vote to qualify for victory.

A first place vote is worth three points, a second place vote is worth two points, and a third place vote is worth one point. You may not vote for your own class.

You are encouraged to include reason with your votes, though this is not absolutely required.

The class that ends up with the most points wins the challenge contest. Voting starts now and will continue until 10:00 PM (EST) on October 4th 18th.

Base Class Author 1st 2nd 3rd Total Points
    The Delver Alabenson 1 2 0 7
    Imprisoner UristMcRandom 0 0 1 1
    Mirecarvers, Oozes cont. Silva Stormrage 3 0 0 9
    Aide Lanth Sor 0 2 1 5

Those who are about to vote, we salute you!
    Last edited by Alabenson; 2019-10-03 at 07:32 AM.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Contest XXXXVIII: Ruins and Caverns and Tombs, Oh My! Voting Thread

1st: The Mirecarver
    This felt like a solid caster class with a bit of a focus on minion-mancy. With my earlier concerns regarding the Slime Grenades addressed I don’t see any major issues that would make it worryingly overpowered and it does seem like it would be interesting to play

2nd: The Aide
    This class has a few issues. It has a number of extremely strong passive abilities (Excellence in Service in particular made me do a double-take when I read it), but it doesn’t really seem to receive any active options. Beyond that, the class doesn’t feel like it fills a niche that would make me want to play it over something else.

3rd: The Imprisoner
    Nothing much to say, the class was too unfinished to make a proper review of it, but at least its something.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Base Class Contest XXXXVIII: Ruins and Caverns and Tombs, Oh My! Voting Thread

1st- Mirecarver: I love this and almost played one for my next character. My DM did have issue that expensive material components being hand waved, which he ruled I would still have to expend them.
    2nd- Delver: I really like the class and its power level matches mid tier D&D.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2019-09-18 at 09:11 AM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

1st: Delver. It certainly has the theme of a dungeon delver and its abilities form a pretty well built chasis. Some of the abilities I think would be better if they got it earlier (Earth Glide/Blindsight aren't super impressive at 18th+ level)
    2nd: Aide. I do enjoy the class but I am struggling to really see how it fits with the theme of dungeons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

1st - Mirecarver: Very interesting. The variety of features is nice and I like the unique oozes--especially the Ward and Utility oozes, though the combat ones have enough going on that it would certainly still be fun to play a combat-focused mirecarver.
    2nd - Delver: I like the theme, I like the abilities. I agree that some of the late class features could probably be gained earlier, but overall, I think it's fine. I really like their sixth sense feature.
    3rd - Aide: It feels unpolished, and I'm not sure what they're supposed to do exactly. The "adjacent to master but not" feature is a cool idea. I kind of wish it applied to things other than the class features, but that could make the class too easily dippable.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2019-10-03 at 05:16 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).