The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard IC

"That's a very interesting viewpoint, Isara, though I fail to see how offering our services to the Bank could amount to extortion? We would be engaging in a legitimate business transaction to our mutual benefit," Lucian notes.

"Anyway, I'll be off to speak to my contacts and when I'm done I'll see if the Bank's amenable to my proposition. You're welcome to join me if you like, Mikael."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I'm of a mind with Lucian. Plus offering our services for a small fee is probably cheaper than having to hire others to do that. It also helps them solve a problem they want to solve with little risk. Mutually beneficial for all involved.

On that note, I'll join Lucian on working with the Bank."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isara pursed her lips and remained quiet as the opinions accumulated for the idea of acquiring additional compensation for a job they were not just already being paid to do but a duty they were sworn to do... geased to do in one case. She was grateful this assignment came with rewards of its own, but it didn't seem right to seek more from others that just so happened to benefit. But she wasn't going to make more of a fuss about it. Honestly, if it hadn't been Deklen to propose such, she might have just kept quiet. It was a touch irksome that those that had voiced an opinion shared it with a geased criminal and not a fellow guard.

"I'll head out to find out what information I can about places Lamm might flee in case he gets the opportunity. Depending... it might be easier to apprehend Lamm if he's spooked on running to one of these other holes."
    Last edited by An Amy; 2019-09-19 at 09:46 AM. Reason: wording

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With their course set the six guards take up their equipment and make their way out of Citadel Volshyenek into the city. An undertone of tension is almost palpable even in the crowded, bustling streets of Korvosa. People make way for the guard with nods and bows or glares and sneers. Whatever happens, it is clear that the tension must either resolve or break soon, and it's all tied to the King's health.

With their plans set the squad breaks off either into pairs or to do their own leg work. Rendezvous and points of contact are established and then the breaking of Gaedren Lamm's criminal empire begins. Marcus and Deklen make their way to his current hideout, the fishery in West Dock, Lucian and Mikael go to inquire at the bank, and Isara and Janna seem to think better of working as a team, acknowledging their quite different styles, before heading off each to their own contacts.

Spoiler: Stakeout at the Fishery - Marcus and Deklen
    Show
    The building isn't hard to find. It's a decrepit, rundown old eyesore perched on the edge of the Jeggare river, atop a steep embankment. Over half of the structure extends out into the river on a forest of barnacle encrusted pilings. A rickety looking board walk wraps around the back side of the building and extends all the way to a ship moored to the side of the fishery. The vessel has quite obviously seen better days, and it would require a very brave, or very well paid, crew to try and make her sail ever again.

All of the external windows are boarded up, difficult to climb through but perfect for observing passers-by. There is a side door that opens on to the boardwalk, but it appears disused. The main doors are mottled with mold and grime but still seem solid enough. One, a set of double doors facing the road, is locked at all times with a rusted iron chain. The other, a pair of sliding bay doors, allow access between a large loading deck and the upper workroom. These are kept open during the day and shut at night.

During the day, it would appear that Lamm does a brisk business in fish slurry. Merchants with yesterday's leftovers and sailors with unattractive hauls sell what they would otherwise have to simply throw away and in return they buy barrels full a foul smelling blend of chum, river water, and seaweed. This slurry is popular as bait, fertilizer, or, in a pinch, for making "dock-dumplings" when poor laborers can't afford anything else to eat. Marcus notices that while most of the barrels are sold on a first in, first out basis, a few each day are set aside and only sold to certain customers. Customers who don't have the look of sailors or dock merchants.

During their stakeout Marcus and Deklen quickly identify over two dozen street urchins that appear to call the fishery home. Presumably these are the "lambs" who serve as the basis for Lamm's ring of pickpockets. Their ages range from about fifteen all the way down to around six or seven. A minority of them perform backbreaking labor in the fishery each day making the slurry, under the watchful eyes of their taskmasters while most of them are sent out into the city to cut purses or filch valuables.

Of perhaps more interest and concern are the taskmasters themselves. Between them Marcus and Deklen identify five known associates of Lamm, however they cannot directly confirm Lamm's presence at the fishery. The five known criminals are: Yargin Balko, human confidence man; Hookshanks Gruller, gnome pickpocket; Gilak "Giggles" Murbol, orc thug; Orsit Goldfinger, dwarf bookie; and Ransford Nottley, human thug. Goldfinger has been arrested peacefully in the past, but never revealed who he kept books for, probably why he's still alive. Giggles and Nottley both have records for various assaults and batteries, and are unlikely to go quietly. Gruller is known for using his stature to pass as a human child, both to pull off his crimes and to evade capture. He is known to have access to the common illusions possessed by some of his race. Finally, and perhaps most concerning, Balko has a penchant for using acid as a weapon and possesses some small talent with magic.

Deklen also discovers that the criminals keep a boar hound on site and that it roams the fishery after hours. Other patrols can be spotted at night when light peeks through the cracks in the window coverings. Guard presence in the area is minimal, but then again nothing obviously criminal is going on.

Spoiler: Inquiry at the Bank - Lucian and Mikael
    Show
    After a few delays and some stonewalling by the byzantine bureaucracy of the Bank of Asmodeus, Lucian and Mikael are finally able to speak with an official who has both knowledge of the property and the authority to divulge it. The woman behind the dark polished desk is a shrewd negotiator, taking her time before responding, seeming to calculate every angle. She refuses to give her name going by only her title, assistant director of waterfront assets. The AD is willing to entertain a payment for the guard clearing out any unauthorized inhabitants of the fishery, but insists that before a number can be settled upon the bank will have to inspect the property and assess any damaged caused in the eviction of the current occupants. She further insists that any goings on at the fishery in question are without the knowledge or approval of the bank and disclaims any liability therefore. Reading off of a description of the property, she reveals that the location is old and in disrepair, consisting of a main, split level with a smaller undercroft beneath. The ship moored at the fishery is certainly not sea worthy but would cost more than it is worth to the bank to either repair or scuttle.

From the Bank in North Point the pair of guardsmen make their way to Old Korvosa, to speak to Lucian's friends in the Scizarni. It quickly becomes apparent that while Lamm might be on the rise, many of Lucian's underworld contacts see him as old, washed up, and weak. The two guardsmen confirm rumors that Lamm is holed up in the fishery and several sources even indicate that he rarely leaves it any more. Preferring to always have a solid wall at his back. Despite this apparent paranoia neither Lucian or Mikael can find any trace of a threat against Lamm from the less scrupulous elements of Korvosan society. Admittedly, Lamm is unpopular among the Scizarni for his use of children, but nobody is upset enough to move against him. And the Scizarni conveniently dismiss their hypocrisy by pointing out that employing family is different from using children.
    Spoiler: Lucian
    Show
    You are able to confirm that Devargo himself is Lamm's supplier of Shiver.

Lucian and Mikael learn that Lamm keeps some muscle with him in the form of a pair of human and half-orc thugs. They also learn about Yargin Balko, Lamm's right hand, a foppish man with a smattering of magical talent and an affinity for acids. Additionally it would appear that the "lambs" are kept in line through fear and coercion. Each is expected to bring in a certain amount of coin every week or face a beating.

Spoiler: Combing the Streets - Isara
    Show
    Word about Lamm on the street is fairly hard to come by. It would seem that he is becoming increasingly paranoid and reluctant to interact with other criminals. Isara learns that he spends most of his time in the fishery and periodically sends one of his thugs out to fence the things that his lambs steal. Nobody seems to know about any secondary hideouts he or his crew maintain, and Isara is pretty sure that's because there aren't any. Lamm seems to line up one location at a time and has only recently adopted the fishery.

Spoiler: Working the Bars - Janna
    Show
    There are a few people who know about Lamm or have worked with him in the past. Most seem to think that he's a weak man and of those who have worked with him most cite his use of children as their reason for departing his crew. It would seem that Lamm is horribly cruel to his lambs, and more than willing to dispose of a less than profitable urchin. Word is that the old man hardly leaves his hideout anymore, except to move to a new one which he does every few months, although he's staying put for longer and longer these days. He's still got allies, mostly new hires. People say that his crew is heavy on muscle but light on brains, except for Lamm himself who seems to prefer it that way.

Janna confirms that the fishery is definitely a front for Lamm, who uses it to make a little bit of legitimate money but mostly for its unassuming location and the ability to move illegal goods without drawing attention. It seems that the place mostly produces fish slurry in barrels, but some of the barrels conceal either Shiver, a new street drug, or are sent off to fences to move whatever valuables his band of pickpockets manage to steal.

5. - Top - End - #95

BardGuy

Janna stomps back into Volshyenek barracks, dumping her weapons and shield in a pile by the door. Her chainmail rattles as she collapses into a chair, then kicks her feet up to rest on the table.

Finally she digs in her belt pouch for a second and pulls out a chunk of cheese, which she starts breaking pieces off and eating.
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-20 at 04:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mikael comes into the Barracks not too long after Janna and sets his sword and spiked shield down gently.

He sits at a different table, preferring to be alone and gazes intently at his sword. Lost in thought about how to proceed with the operation. Prioritizing minimal casualties and collateral damage to the building. Seeking to ingratiate himself to the Bank of Asmodeus in Hopes of a greater payday
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-20 at 04:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Marcus limps into the barracks rubbing his back and carefully sits down at Janna's table with a soft groan, grimacing in pain.

"Janna, Mikael." He nods in greeting. "Why did no one warn me that stakeouts are literally the most uncomfortable thing you can possibly suffer through? I had to sit still in one spot, outside, on a rooftop, without moving, for 2 days. I mean, Deklen and I got some valuable information don't get me wrong but I feel like I've just gone through a full days worth of weapons drill."

He's followed in by a porter from a nearby tavern carrying a large pot, a small tapped barrel, and a couple loaves of bread. Marcus motions him to set them down on the table next to him and fetches out 6 bowls and mugs before paying the porter and sending him off.

"Anyways, dinner's on me. It's nothing fancy, just stew, ale, and bread. But after two days outside it's what the doctor ordered."

He ladles himself a steaming bowl of stew, cuts a thick slice of bread, and pours a foaming mug of ale before sinking back into his chair and taking a long pull from the mug with a contented sigh.
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2019-09-21 at 09:01 PM.

My player profile.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

"I was wondering why you were so coy about splitting off on our way out," said Deklen to Marcus. He stepped in past the porter, grinning. "I thought I'd developed bad breath from sitting two days under a set of stairs. Either way, well called to buy from around here. Whatever you would've bought off the street in the docks area would've had you erupting from both ends. I speak from experience." Deklen glanced around. "Ah; Ma'am Fleet - Master Wasserboren. Ma'am Wellspire didn't ... come to grief, did she?"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Lucian saunters in to the barracks, looking very pleased with himself. Sitting down at the table, he helps himself to some ale and stew.

"Well? How did things go for everyone? For myself, I'm quite pleased with our fishing expedition, wouldn't you agree, Mikael?"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mikael gets back up and helps himself to some Ale before returning to his table

"I'll never turn down free ale. However, I must turn down the stew and bread. Muiria usually cooks some dinner for me and I tell you what, hell hath no fury like my wife when I won't eat her cooking. I might be big and strong but the woman's a fearsome foe with a ladle and pans.

And yeah, I'd say we did quite good. We got quite a bit of information. Some on the layouts of the fishery, and some about the personnel of Lamm's group. "

11. - Top - End - #101

Isara returned with the stale tip of some bread she'd picked up back home on her way to the group that day. The smell of stew found her previously satisfied hunger reinvigorated. She wondered who'd brought such a strong scent of food.

As before, seemed she was the last to enter, her eyes scanning across everyone just as Mikael spoke a little about what he'd learned out and about. For all the time she spent, Isara had very little to offer, but in truth by finding nothing regarding what she searched, she felt very sure.

"Hello everyone," she greeted the others, making her way to the same spot on the wall she'd taken upon leaning last time. "All faring well?"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Doing splendidly, thanks to this hearty meal Marcus has provided us with," Lucian answers.

"Now, shall we get down to business and compare notes?" he asks the others. "Regarding Lamm, my contacts all agree that the fishery is his current bolthole and that he rarely leaves it any more. No one pays him much attention, but he seems paranoid about his imagined competition even though no one is about to move against him. All in all, I don't think we need worry too much about him packing up and moving out voluntarily."

"We also learned that Lamm's actual crew is quite small. Apart from Yargin Balko, his right hand man, it seems he's only attended by a pair of heavies - a human and a half-orc. The rest are children - his "lambs" - that he forces to do his bidding through fear and coercion. Balko, by the way, is rumoured to have some magical talent and a fondness for acids."

"Finally, Mikael and I spoke to the bank. We've gotten them to agree to hire us to handle evicting Lamm. They're drawing up the contract now, but it'll take a day or two to finish. We'd be paid a set sum with deductions for any damages caused when we move in on Lamm. I fully expect them to set ridiculously punitive penalties or to add some worrisome fine print, so before signing the contract, anyone that wants in should read it very carefully. If we do sign, however, we will have legal cause to walk straight up to Lamm's front door and demand a meeting without identifying ourselves as Guardsmen."

13. - Top - End - #103

BardGuy

Janna stuffs her hunk of cheese back into her belt pouch, then scoops two bowls of stew from the pot and settles back into her seat.

"That matches what I've heard. He's a rat who never comes out of his hole." Janna pauses to start attacking a bowl of stew. It seems to disappear in just a few spoonfuls, after which she pushes the bowl away.

"Also heard he's not too gentle with the kids. As in, that one the Sarge said he killed probably wasn't the first, just the first time he got caught. Wouldn't be surprised if he throws them at us in a fight to try and slow us down."

"Oh. And one more thing. It's not just an abandoned warehouse. It's a real, working slurry plant. That means the whole place is going to stink."

14. - Top - End - #104

AssassinGuy

Marcus sighs slightly in relief.

"Well I'm glad to hear you all say that because we never actually saw Lamm enter or leave the hideout. We did identify twenty four children that Lamm is using and five associates."

At this moment Marcus bring up a life size image of all 5 associates, 2 humans, a dwarf, an orc, and a gnome. He gestures to the orc and then the larger human.

"These are Giggles Murbol and Ransform Nottley. Both of them have long histories of violent crime and since we know about that they probably aren't too subtle about it. Even I probably wouldn't try asking them to come quietly. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to confuse them but they might just start stabbing if they don't know what to do."

Next he points to the dwarf and the less thuggish looking human.

"This is Orsit Goldfinger. He probably won't be too much trouble since he just keeps the books and he's been peacefully arrested before. I'd say he might be the most valuable one to take in besudes Lamm himself but he's never talked before about any of the criminals he's worked with so the odds of getting anything out of him are rather low. Next is Yargin Balko. He's the one I'm the most worried about. We heard the same reputation as Lucian about using magic and acid. I guess on the positive side as long as he's using acid we don't have to worry about the building catching on fire but we might have to wrry about it coming down around our ears. If we have to get in a fight I think he should probably be the first one to bring down. I can try to do that myself as an opening shot but generally speaking the more magical ability someone has the more able they are to both recognize and resist the kinds of magic I use."

Finally, Marcus gestures at the gnome.

"And this is Hookshanks Gruller, pickpocket. He's definitely one to memorize and keep a lookout for. He has a reputation for getting himself out of situations by passing himself off as a child. We're going to have to be very careful about not letting him get behind us. He has some ability with illusions so we'll need to look out for that as well. I'm thinking we should come up with some kind of code phrase to let the rest of the group know that something is an illusion if we're exposed to one and one of us figures it out."

Marcus sits down again and takes out his pencil and ink to begin drawing a map of the building for the group to use.

"If any of you know of any other people who might be a problem I'll be happy to add them in to the image. I should have a map ready in a minute as well."
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2019-09-23 at 07:47 PM.

My player profile.

15. - Top - End - #105

Isara contorted her face in disgust at the idea of the children being sent out to face guard's. Perhaps they could be persuaded otherwise, but they'd be a concern regardless.

"I can only confirm more of what's been said," Isara added afterwards. "Lamm's a one-hole kinda rat and doesn't keep tabs on other dens, and this fishery is a newer joint. He's isolated himself from other criminals as well, so there's little chance of any others coming to his aid or his coin. He'll fence things out through someone of his crew... think it might be one of these five associates coming and going? Might work to ambush the one associate outside, if this fence-man turns out to be one of them. Either way, done just before our assault, things could go easier with one less person on Lamm's side."

16. - Top - End - #106

BardGuy

Janna draws her dagger from her boot and sticks the point of the blade into the gut of the illusory Nottley a few times. Her expression turns pensive as she brings the blade up to poke at its face.

"If we know who they are, can we find out where they all haunt? If we can catch up with all of them while they're out on their own, it might save us some trouble at Lamm's place. Plenty of lonely places in this city where someone might get jumped."
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-24 at 08:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Curious, Isara pondered removing these associates one by one over a small period of time. Lamm surely wouldn't keep sending them out if they started to disappear. It might have been better to intercept the children as they go out to steal. Lamm couldn't survive without these children doing his work for him, so he'd have to send them out. And by some means, the man knew how to recruit more. Lamm might grow more paranoid if his associates stopped returning. Would need to make that look like criminal competition rather than running afoul of guards. He couldn't suspect a raid. If he did, it might put the children at risk.

Pensive, Isara waited for input from others.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

"We might have to get a bit more focused for that," said Deklen, folding his arms and walking over to peer at the map Marcus was drawing. "All five of these sterling fellows seem to be sleeping at this rothouse, so it's not going to be a case of appearing out of their bedroom shadows for a pillow party. And speaking of that, hitting the place at night or breaking in wouldn't be easy at all. The windows are all boarded up, which means whoever's inside can watch the street without being seen. They've got a boarhound on site. Wanders all over the fishery after nightfall. I suppose we could season some meat with something suitably horrible and throw it to the beast to stop it raising any alarms, but I suspect there's other guards about - people peeking through the window coverings, light, that sort of thing. And that's before you remember that pretty well the whole crew of street urchins is sleeping there as well. Call it a feeling I have when attempting not to cause my intestines to fall out onto the street, but taking that place by stealth at night is probably out."

Deklen looked again at Marcus's map. "Yes. Now, here -" and he pointed to the set of doors facing the street[1] - "these doors are never opened. Double doors, locked with a chain, day and night; looks rusted from what I could see. There's mold and grime over those doors, but I know good solid oak when I see it. No kick in the door antics there, I'm afraid, not unless someone fancies a sore leg. Anyway, there's a pair of sliding bay doors here [2] -- those are open during the day and closed at night. Some sort of workroom's accessible up there." He moved to the other side of the map. "Over here's [3] about the most interesting prospect for entry points, but still not easy. It's on the boardwalk, so I'm guessing someone there would have to worry about creaking boards, the usual sort of thing. But it looks disused. Given the other entrances are blocked or seem to be high traffic areas, I'd guess that's the bolthole. The guard comes calling at the front door or on that loading dock, they slip out the back. Or perhaps they've got a rowboat somewhere on the water inside - it's a fishery, I could glimpse water through the side doors, stands to reason it'd have access to the water. Anyway, that great old hulk down the end of the boardwalk's not sailing anywhere but the bottom of the river, but they've still got a rowboat tied up down the east end of that pier as well. I'd jam that door to stop anyone leaving before a direct assault, or at least post someone on the boardwalk when the fun starts." Deklen shrugged. "But then I'd have jammed the side door, set fire to the front door, and then waited to pick them off one by one as they came out to see what the problem was. Problem with that is the Bank of Asmodeus, of course. So. I suppose absent some rather impressive plan we're back to either the direct approach, having a friendly chat with one of these five gentlemen in a pub somewhere, or making like the landlord's turned up."

Spoiler
    Show
    [1] = A1 on the map.
    [2] = A2 on the map.
    [3] = A3 on the map.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mikael listens to the others discussing the plan of attack and sharing information
    "I dunno about y'all, but I'm going to be signing the contract with Lucian and then working as agents of the Bank to try and clear out the guys inside. We do have some options. We go as agents of the Bank and tell them there are serious matters to be discussed and that the bank is willing to allow Lamm to stay if he pays for the space and upon investigation of the place we give him a price or give them an eviction notice. If they deal, Lucian and I can get more information about the insides of the fishery and scope out the insides. We may be able to get more information about where they would bolt if trouble came.

The Assistant Director of Waterfront Properties for the Bank gave us a description of the Fishery. There's an undercroft inside. I'm thinking that is likely to be where Lamm is holed up and that may be why you guys"
    Mikael points at Deklen and Marcus "weren't able to see him. Chances are, it'll be easy to corner him in that undercroft if we managed to get inside and subdue his thugs. I don't know if the undercroft has any more escape points but I wouldn't discount that as a possibility.

An idea came to Mikael and he turns to Marcus.

"Hey, don't you magic types know how to turn people invisible?"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"I don't think being too clever about this is going to help. If we try and pick off his associates ahead of the raid, failure means we alert Lamm to what's going on, with...unpredictable...consequences. No, since they all sleep in there with him, I think we're better off hitting them all at once with all the forces at our disposal - which happens to be just the six of us."

"I agree with Deklen that a night raid will be difficult to pull off as well. We'll need light and we'll need to break down at least one door, which increases the odds of us being discovered and the time Lamm has to react."

"Right now, I believe the easiest way for us to get inside is to split our team and go in during daylight. Most of us walk straight in through the sliding bay doors during the day, when business is in full swing. We identify ourselves as contractors for the Bank so it won't seem suspicious that we're coming in fully armed, and start raising an almighty fuss about Lamm and his crew being squatters. Either they try and throw us out, in which case the fight is on, or we get them worried enough that they try and make a deal with us."

"While the first team is providing a distraction, a second team busts its way in through the door on the boardwalk and takes them from behind. If we hit fast enough and hard enough, it's not unlikely that we can break Lamm's morale and force a surrender."

"But whatever we do, the most important thing to remember is that we want to take these fellows alive and we want to keep damage to the fishery itself to a minimum. Naturally, we also want the children safe and sound," Lucian says with a nod to Isara and Marcus.

"I'd suggest that everyone makes sure they have a club or sap on hand for the raid, and that we only draw steel if things get really hairy. We also need to make sure that all of these villains know that surrender is an option - in my experience, even desperate criminals would rather live another day than die on the spot. We could also shop around among the city's alchemists to see if they have any useful substances that can help knock out the opposition."

Spoiler: Fairly cheap stuff I think might be useful to suppress opposition quickly
    Show
    Several of these are from sources besides those that were okayed during character generation, so they would require GM permission.
    Nets (PHB, p. 119) - Ranged touch attack to entangle foe and allows opposed Strength check to control movement. Exotic weapon though.
    Drow poison (DMG, p. 297) - Injury poison, causes unconsciousness as initial and secondary damage. DC 13 to resist.
    Flash pellets (CA, p. 119) - Blind everyone within 5 feet for 1 round and dazzle them for another. DC 15 Fort save to avoid the effects.
    Screaming flask (CM, p. 135) - 15-foot cone, does 1d8 sonic damage and deafens everyone in area of effect. DC 15 Fort save negates effects.
    Roach paste (DotU, p. 94) - injury poison that causes nausea for 1 round, then filth fever. DC 12 to resist.
    Red tidewater (Planar Handbook, p. 77) - splash weapon that causes blindness. DC to resist varies with direct hit or splash. Also causes blinding sickness.
    Slumber sand (Sandstorm, p. 103) - target struck falls asleep for 1 minute. DC 15 Fort save to resist.
    Stinkpot (Stormwrack, p. 108) - smoke fills 10-foot cube. Living creatures must make DC 15 Fort save or become sickened.

21. - Top - End - #111

BardGuy

"They all sleep in there? Blegh!" Janna leans over to inspect the map.

"I volunteer for the break-in team. I'd probably end up making a mistake and messing up the bank trick anyway." She takes note of the door locations, then says, "What was the roof like? Low and flat?"

22. - Top - End - #112

AssassinGuy

Marcus flushes slightly at Mikael's question and answers in a rather flustered manner.

"Um, yes, generally. Well, that is to say that my talents do lie in that direction. That being said I'm sorry to say that I haven't yet mastered that particular spell. Or rather, spells of that complexity are still beyond my abilities for the moment. I only graduated a few months ago and while I'm still getting better I can't quite pull that off yet. It's like what I was saying the other day about illusions being more effective the fewer things they have to incorporate. Invisibility spells require a constant warping of magical energies around the subject and incorporation of visuals from the surrounding environment to..."

His voice trails off as he notices that he's rambling and he flushes even more. Keep it together Marcus, you were chosen for this just like everyone else. He clears his throat before continuing.

"Sorry, I can't pull off that particular spell yet but I'm more than capable of creating illusions to mask our approach into the fishery. I brought up before the idea of a fog illusion. If we go at them in the morning a fog wouldn't be odd and the air mght be humid enough that they won't even notice they're not feeling a fog. And since it's an active fishery they won't be able to notice ay difference in smell. Since you'll all know that it's an illusion though you'll be able to see right through it."

My player profile.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Deklen nods at Janna's question. "Like most roofs in that area. Low and flat. Can't really tell how sturdy it is, though, judging by the state of it from the outside I'd guess it's not in the greatest of condition."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Responding to Marcus "Bummer, but that's ok. I figured invisibility was a bit of a complex spell but since I don't know much about your talents yet, I figured I needed to ask because if you could turn invisible or turn Deklen invisible, that would have been a huge benefit because hey, who doesn't love a stabby invisible sneak on their team? I do like your fog idea. That could help to conceal the approach of those not on the bank team. How long are you able to hold up the fog trick? I'd hate for it to appear entirely coincidental that a fog just so happens to appear when Lucian and I come banging on their doors. "

Looking away from Marcus and looking at everyone else on the team
    "Ok so, Lucian and I are part of the bank team so far, anyone else want to join us on that?"

Hearing Janna ask about the roof, Mikael chimes in
    "Errrr...as f***ing cool as busting in from the roof sounds and as much as I'd love to see Lamm's lackeys wet themselves in fear from seeing a screaming woman with a greatsword come crashing down from above, I'd like to avoid that option if possible. Roofs are expensive to fix and we can make a bit more money if we avoid that kind of thing. Ideally, a busted door is all we do because I feel like that's within our capabilities to fix before the bank does an inspection. "

Looking at Deklen and Marcus and addressing them, Mikael asks "Hey do the rugrats also sleep in the fishery? Because if not, we can try and call upon them before the kids show up for work. Also, can someone remind me where to get Saps?"
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-25 at 09:01 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

"While we're making plans and such... if you didn't know already, I can take the form of an animal, not unlike a boarhound. I'm not saying it could be used to take the boarhound's place, though that could work for a short period of time, I'd think. More bringing it up so the rest of you aren't thrown off if you see a fanged predator suddenly fighting alongside you."

It was probably not a secret that she could do such. She'd not actively tried to keep it a secret as a guard, though she didn't bring it up and rarely did such even when on patrol. Still, best not anyone on her team be surprised in the wrong kind of way.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, it sounds as if we are in agreement on the basics then? Two teams, one front, one back. We go in during the morning as soon as the fishery's opened for business. I would like the "bank team" to be tough enough to hold its own if Lamm gets any funny ideas, so there should be at least three of us. Mikael has already volunteered, and I think we need one more person who looks like they mean business."

"Isara? Would you be up for joining Mikael and myself? Your talents will surely be a boon in a stand-up fight. That would leave Deklen, Janna, and Marcus to break in through the back door, though if you think two will suffice, more muscle in the "bank team" wouldn't hurt."

27. - Top - End - #117

BardGuy

"With the roof, I wasn't thinking of getting in - though if it's too rotten to support someone that might be an easier prospect than the door. I was wondering if we could put a reserve up there. If it's not too high to jump down then we could put a couple of people in the middle, in earshot of both sides, with just a short run to reinforce either team."

"We don't know where they'll put their strength, how they'll react to the bank, or how hard it'll be to get through the building."

She leans over and taps the bottom right of the building on Marcus' map. "This looks like it could be a blind spot for anyone looking out of the windows. If we can climb up there, we might even be able to make the door without ever being in anyone's line of sight."

28. - Top - End - #118

AssassinGuy

Responding to Mikael, Marcus proudly reports
    "I can hold the fog illusion indefinitely as long as nothing breaks my concentration. That does unfortunately include casting other spells as well so I'll have to drop it to cast any spells for incapacitating people. And yes, as far as we could tell they all sleep in the fishery with occasional patrols throughout the night.

I think I'm generally in favor of the two team plan. I should probably go in with the backdoor team. If I'm right in front of them when the fighting breaks out and someone takes a swing at me I could lose the spell. I suppose the roof might work as well. I haven't mentioned it before now but I do actually know one short term flight spell. I can pull it off the majority of the time and it would be more than enough to get me on top of the building. I'd just have to do that before starting up the fog illusion. My communication spell lasts twenty minutes so we could make the timing work if I cast that on one person from each group, flew to the top of the building, and got the fog spell up for several minutes before you arrived. I could even check the roof for safety the evening beforehand."

My player profile.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mikael beams "Excellent Marcus! You're probably going to be the first useful wizard I've ever worked with. Every other cursed wizard wants to fireball first, ask questions later and it's infuriating as all get out. It also seems like you're more willing to work with us as a team and that, my friend, is excellent. Looks like you've got a good idea of what you're doing"

Turning to Lucian and Isara "It sounds like we got our bank team then. And no worries Isara, I love animals. I'd never dare to strike one unless it struck me first so you'll be pretty safe from accidental harm from me. I look forward to seeing your talents in combat. I've never actually fought alongside a druid before."

Addressing everyone, Mikael tries to stress the following points "It looks like we have mostly a plan set up, I'll shed no tears if a few of Lamm's men end up 6 feet under. It would obviously be ideal to take them alive for a bit extra gold and less paperwork but we gotta get Lamm, the bookie, and the children alive at a minimum. I'd also like minimal destruction to the property so that we can get a bit extra from the bank for taking good care of the property. "

30. - Top - End - #120

Isara nodded back to Mikael. Thought she didn't intend to sign the Asmondeon document, there shouldn't be a reason to cause undue destruction to the building. Especially if it was in disrepair anyway and could come down on the innocent.

"So there's a chance that the 'bank' team will just go in, discuss, recon and leave, right? We should come up with something that signals the other team to assault."