The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard IC

"Oh the church of Asmodeus is going to take the kids in, are they?" Janna asks sharply. "Out of the frying pan, into the fire."

She regains control of herself, and stiffly slides her dagger back into her boot.

"Sarge, can the bank give us anything to help? Do they have a map, or any information on the building?"
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-13 at 02:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mikael's ears perked up when he heard mention of the First Arbiter.

First Arbiter ordered this hit eh? With the way she spends her wealth on orphanages and children, she'd probably like to hang Lamm herself. I'll bring him alive just for her pleasure

Seeing an opportunity for a possible bonus, Mikael asks
    "Do you want us to sniff out the mole in the administration as well and have them tried for aiding and abetting Lamm?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Enthusiastic bunch, this lot, Lucian thinks.

"Sergeant Verik - you mentioned a bonus for the apprehension of Lamm's henchmen. Is there no prize money to be had for Lamm himself? I mean, if his possessions are the prize, one could get one's hands on them just as easily with him dead."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Verik rolls his eyes at Janna's assessment of the Asmodean church. "If you don't like it take them to one of the others. It makes no difference to me. As for help from the bank, I doubt it. The building is old, run down, and even in its prime it wasn't much to be proud of. I don't think plans ever would have been made of it at all. I think the Temple purchased the property at city auction a while back, so there might be a written description of the place in the records."

When Mikael chips in Verik shakes his head and display a characteristic lazy streak. "There's nothing illegal about providing public records. If you could prove bribery or something similar that might be different, but as it stands finding Lamm's informant would probably be a waste of time and a tip off."

It seems for an instant that a grimace passes across Verik's face when Lucian mentions compensation for Lamm. "Rolling up Lamm and his operation is worth a purse of five hundred sovereigns to Field Marshal Kroft," Verik says more than a little grudgingly, it would seem that he had wanted to claim that for himself, but couldn't think fast enough to provide a convincing deflection.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Marcus keeps a carefully neutral expression while thinking about the case.
    How do we get to the best outcome here? Obviously this could be very risky, especially with the presence of children. I'm sure none of them feel any particular love for Lamm so he's probably controlling them through fear, and scared people are hard to predict. If he has enough of a hold on them to get them to attack us or if they just panic and react violently...
    Marcus's expression slips and he grimaces at the thought.
    This could turn into a nightmare.
    Marcus looks around at his fellow guardsmen in the order in which he met them, considering them and the mission ahead.

Janna Fleet. He'd been offput at first by the conversation he'd overheard between her and Mikael where they bet on kills during the assignment but he felt better about her after her assurances that she'd welcome any of the criminals surrendering. And then there was her distaste for the idea of sending the children to the Asmodeans. That hadn't sat well with Marcus either. It probably would have just shifted them from one harsh master who controlled them through fear to another. Overall she seemed a bit rough, but Marcus felt like he could trust her.

Mikael Vasserboren. Again, the conversation had been concerning but then Mikael had reassured him that he also felt the best outcome was taking everyone alive and that he took his oath seriously. He'd also been the one to bring up finding the mole so it seemed like he cared about doing what's best for the city and not just doing the bare minimum to get the job done. Marcus didn't feel totally sure here, especially given Sergeant Verik's reaction to him, but his policy was to trust the people he works with unless given a good reason not to. After all, they'd all taken the oath and needed to work together.

Deklen Callas. Marcus knew he should be wary considering the fact that Deklen had been a criminal himself but so many people fell into crime by necessity that he really felt he couldn't judge without knowing more. He'd been very forthright about the geas and while he'd heard the Guard was getting desperate for bodies in uniform he couldn't imagine they'd let a truly dangerous criminal on the loose. He definitely seemed competent enough, and with the geas there, regardless of why, it seemed like there wasn't really much a reason to doubt him. And besides, he really just liked the man and looked forward to working with him.

Lucian Espada. Obviously a pragmatist and obviously well-informed about the Guard itself. He seemed professional enough, and he'd shown an interest in keeping down casualties on both sides even before learning that there was more money in taking the criminals alive. There'd been that word he called Deklen when he came in that Marcus wasn't sure about. Deklen hadn't really shown much of a reaction but he'd also not spoken to the man since it happened. Maybe something to ask Deklen about. Overall, Marcus felt mostly comfortable trusting the man.

And finally, Isara Wellspire. Not much to say there yet as she'd barely spoken before Sergeant Verik came in. She obviously bore some ill-will towards Deklen but it seemed like they'd never met so there probably wasn't any history there he could ask about. He didn't know much about druids beyond that they were divine spellcasters like clerics but with a strong connection to nature and had the ability to take on animal forms. He was very curious about why one would be working in the city rather than outside it but she hadn't gotten a chance to explain that. She seemed a bit quiet but Marcus felt pretty sure he'd be able to get her to open up. And anyways, it would definitely be helpful to have another spellcaster around. They often had a lot more options when it came to dealing with opponents without killing them. And maybe she'd be able to use some healing magic too, definitely worth asking about.

Overall, Marcus felt a bit more confident about the mission after considering the team. Sure, it was a dangerous assignment and they'd have to be delicate, but everyone here seemed at least professional and intent on avoiding unnecessary harm. He'd met a few guards in his short time in the organization that wouldn't have hesitated to just kick in the door and wade in with their swords.
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2019-09-13 at 07:24 PM.

My player profile.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Ah! Excellent! We will do the Field Marshal proud, I'm sure," Lucian answers with a wide smile when Verik mentions the Field Marshal's purse. And perhaps we'll even receive it from her own hands... he muses to himself, his smile growing even wider.

"You know, Janna, even if the bank won't be able to help directly, the fact that they own the fishery does provide us with an avenue for approaching Lamm's hideout without giving ourselves away as members of the Guard. We could present ourselves as something he probably fears much more than the Guard - officers of the bank, come to foreclose early and evict him from his lair. Unless he's an utter fool, he probably won't be willing to immediately attack us, and he may even feel forced to treat with us. It could probably get our collective feet in the door, at least."
    Last edited by rax; 2019-09-13 at 07:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

BardGuy

Janna leans back, slowly looking between each of the guards, thinking deeply as she pondered.

Five sovereigns a head, but twenty alive. And there's twelve of them... so that's twelve twenties. Plus five hundred sovereigns for Lamm. But there are six of us. So what do we make out of it? And we get to keep whatever's in the warehouse. But that's probably just fish.

"Hm?" Janna looks up at Lucian, then around at the others. She considers it for a while, then says, "I think if I were a criminal hiding in an abandoned building - not that I've ever been in that situation - it wouldn't matter much to me if it was a guard, a banker, or a devil who came looking. I'd run if I were in a running mood, or fight if I thought I could take them."

She straightens up.

"But, uh- You probably don't want me for talking about plans. I'd be happy just to wing it. I mean... we could just go straight there. Right now. Spike the back doors, smash in through the front, and storm the place with bows before they know what's happening."

8. - Top - End - #68

AssassinGuy

Marcus's head jerks up, eyes widening. Perhaps he'd been wrong.
    "But there are children in there, we can't do that! They could all be killed, trapped between us and the people controlling them with nowhere to run!"

My player profile.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mikael listens intently for the Sergeant's answer and was disappointed to hear that the mole wouldn't net him any bonuses. He tries to avoid pointless pursuits as much as possible. Mikael cracked a small smile when he heard Verik basically admit he was going to hold back 500 sovereigns and not share that with the group.

Heh fool should have just put a lower price on Lamm. 100 sovereigns would have been believable. I'm glad Lucian asked about Lamm's bounty. I look forward to my share.

Sovereigns AND a bit of possible recognition from the first arbiter? This raid is turning out to be better than I thought.

Hearing Marcus protest to something, Mikael turns to see if he might have to reassure the peace loving wizard that they ain't gonna slaughter who didn't need slaughtering
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-13 at 08:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

BardGuy

Janna collapses back again, sighing and folding her arms. "Oh yeah, the kids. See! Planning's hard!"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Eh you're just trying to plan before we got a whole lot of information. All we know is that he's possibly holed up in Westpier 17, it's owned by the Bank of Asmodeus and it's a fishery that hasn't been used in a while.

We'll gather some more information, scout out the area, probably sending someone who's good at sneaking to observe patrols if any, how many folks go in and out and figure out the best time to strike.

It would be ideal to whittle down their numbers but Lamm didnt stay out the brig by being stupid. He's smart and paranoid to boot. If even one of his men break routine, he'll likely bolt to be safe. We gotta figure out how to account for that"
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-13 at 08:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Verik sighs, pushing off from the wall and putting a hand on his halberd. "Well, the particulars are up to you, and if there's nothing else, I have my own duties to attend. Report back to Citadel Volshyenek when you've completed the mission." From the sergeant's tone it would appear that he wants nothing more to do with the assignment.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Last chance for questions before Verik leaves and you guys head off to deal with Lamm.

13. - Top - End - #73

AssassinGuy

Marcus sighs in relief and sinks back in his seat somewhat embarassed.
    "Oh, good. I apologize Janna, I overreacted. No other questions from me sir."

My player profile.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

"I have one more," said Deklen. "You said the Bank will likely find another tenant in a month or two. Is Lamm renting the fishery from the Bank of Asmodeus?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Verik purses his lips. "Well, I don't actually know. The bank isn't known for letting their investments lose money, and it would leave a paper trail for Lamm to do things officially," he says as if his conclusions were obviously unquestionable.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Lucian smiles indulgently at Janna's comment about criminals and their hiding places. "It's a good thing you're not a criminal then. Were I criminally inclined, then I'd certainly be far more worried about getting on the wrong side of the Lord of Hell's own bank than us friendly Guardsmen. They're a tight-fisted, merciless lot, those bankers, and they take a dim view of anyone using their property without paying for it. If we turn up and manage to pass ourselves off as the bank's enforcers, then I'd expect Lamm's crew to think twice about attacking us or telling us to sod off. They might run, but they'd have to be properly desperate to immediately draw steel."

OOC: The above is all assuming that our DM affirms my suspicions in the OOC thread. If I'm way off base, I'll delete or rewrite.

17. - Top - End - #77

Isara took mental note of those who'd at least voiced concern regarding the children. Yes, their presence there complicated things in her mind. They were just liabilities... they were, in many ways, her motivation for doing what she did. For them to have a better life, though she wanted to more see that they didn't end up in the hands of the Asmodeon church... perhaps better there than the streets, but still. Though the main objective was Lamm... And if Lamm were in the running mood, it might be best to spook him into running and to get him away from the children. It was a bit easier following a rat than coaxing one out of hiding even when you knew the hole they were in. As long as someone kept their eyes on him.

She otherwise kept quiet, suddenly getting the feeling that she knew nothing about the people she was to work with. Guards, like she, but with varying definitions of a "job well done", she was sure. Hopefully the variation wasn't too far apart.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Well, I'll leave you all to it then," Verik says with a nod and walks out of the room, the steel butt of his halberd clicking on the flagstones.

Chapter 1: The Edge of Anarchy

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mikael smiles, excited to get started with his new shield-siblings.

"So now we can get to work and start planning this with the information that we have so far.

So far we know where Lamm's hiding, a very rough estimate of numbers, and that he's squatting on a property belonging to the Asmodeum bank. Lucian's brought up a good plan. We can go in there covertly impersonating bank enforcers and gather information that way. But this carries a flight risk. Half our advantage is upon knowing where he is now.

We could also storm the place and shock and awe them into submission but without knowing if Children could get caught in the crossfire, this is too risky.

It looks to me, the best course of action is to gather intel and try and figure out a routine of who comes in and who goes out.

But in order to do this well, we gotta know each other's non combat strength. For me, I can get information from anyone we capture using....persuasion of the rougher kind."

Mikael cracks his knuckles when mentioning his "persuasion" skills.

20. - Top - End - #80

"I've no knack for sneaking around... But I could advise that if some are going to be gathering intel, that the some of us perform normal patrols near the warehouse on the sides where the scouts won't be so as to draw cautious attention. Nothing to provoke or spook, just normal guards going about a normal patrol. As for any other skills of mine, I could likely find whatever other hole Lamm might run off into should he get away from the fishery. That and I'm good in a rush."

21. - Top - End - #81

AssassinGuy

"Except for Isara you've all seen some of what I can do already. My magic is mostly focused on illusions and influencing people but I can do a few other things like some basic divination and transmutation. I know a short range communication spell that might be helpful if we're split up.

Other than that I know the city and its people relatively well and I'm a fair enough hand at stealth. I can open a basic lock if I have some time to focus on it but I'm still learning.

I'm generally not much good in a rush. My magic tends to be the most effective when it's unexpected so I'm at my best when I can put someone to sleep or or overwhelm their minds before they know I'm a threat.

As far as specific plans I'm definitely against storming the place and definitely in favor of spending a good amount of time learning all we can about Lamm, his people, and his operation. If we can get to some of his people I might be able to magically charm some information out of them or even get one of them to let us into the building when the time comes. That could be a bit risky and tip them off if it doesn't work though."

My player profile.

22. - Top - End - #82

BardGuy

"I may not be great at sneaking around," Janna says, "- or lying, or getting information out of people. Or sitting still for long periods. But... hey listen. What if he's moving people around by boat? It's a fishery right on the pier. If we hole up on the landward side we might miss people coming and going by water."

"..."

"Anyway, someone who can get around without getting attention should go and check it out right now. If they're quick they can get back and tell us the layout while we're still planning the overwatch. I can do it if you want."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Marcus, typically quiet, is trying to shake off his introversion and aversion to speaking. He knows in order to move up the ranks, he's gotta seem somewhat leaderly or lick the boots of some noble. He vastly prefers the former to the latter as those who acquire rank by being some noble's pet is disgusting to him

So he tries to organize the group and coordinate the activities with his peers in the hopes of a good referral from his shield-siblings

"Alright, so shock and awe is off the table for now.

Marcus, your skills seems they'd be useful for setting up watch alongside one or two other sneaky types. So You'll probably go on that task.

Isara, your suggestion is a good one, do you want anybody to accompany you? If so, I'm fairly decent in a rush too. I've trained my body to almost treat my heavy armor as if I was just wearing common clothes
    "

Plus if I'm right, her darker skin is due to Shoanti heritage. She might be able to answer some questions of mine I plan to bring up later. I got to know if the things Runa said to me at dinner last night has any truth to it. I hope she will be honest with me, and I figure she will so long as I don't demonize the Shoanti

"Janna, you're helluva good muscle to have around. We probably should question some of our friends in low places, maybe you can go back up someone who can talk to them and be there just in case they start getting any bright ideas about attacking one of our own. Your greatsword will give them pause before attacking us.

Anybody else know what they need to do here?"
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-17 at 04:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"I see no reason to rush matters. I suggest splitting into three teams for now. One stakes out the fishery and takes note of whoever comes and goes, obvious guards, and so forth. The other two teams hit the streets and dig up whatever extra information we can about Lamm, his crew, their capabilities, and - as Isara suggested - whatever other hidey holes Lamm may have. This may take a couple of days."

"Once we have that information, we can plan our raid properly. Whether we go in hard and fast or try for a more subtle approach should be dictated by the intelligence our teams have gathered. I stand by the idea that making ourselves out to be enforcers for the Bank of Asmodeus is also a viable approach to get us inside without needing to break the doors down. In fact, we might even be able to make it official. Contact the bank, inform them of the squatters, and offer our services to run them off."

25. - Top - End - #85

"Yes, I can go question around, see what the streets have to say about Lamm and his associates and such," Isara replies, stepping away from where she leaned against the wall. "That might get us a little history about him, let us know more about who he is. That could make understanding him and predicting him easier. Rushing wouldn't be something I'd do right now... not unless someone really doesn't like the questions being asked. Just, if we have a pinch, I can be good for one.

"But other than Deklen... who could recon the fishery? Would that be you Marcus? You said you've a bit of talent in stealth."
    Last edited by An Amy; 2019-09-18 at 08:22 AM. Reason: coloring speech

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Originally planning on accompanying Isara so that he could have the opportunity to ask more about the Shoanti sentiment towards the city, Mikael suddenly remembered that where Lamm is holed up is in the same docks as his family's business. Seeing an opportunity, he turns to Lucian to address him.

" Hey Lucian, can I come with you to the Bank of Asmodeus? I think your idea could help us to gain legitimate entry to the hideout, especially if we make it official. I can be your muscle in case Lamm's associates decides to put more holes in us than the gods gave us. Plus I know my way around the docks, been working there since I was but a boy barely old enough to walk"

27. - Top - End - #87

AssassinGuy

Marcus nods confidently to Isara."Aye, I think that's definitely something I can do. And if people in the other groups can come nearby periodically. I can relay messages to them from Deklan and I about who we've seen going in and out of the hideout without either of us leaving our hiding spots."

My player profile.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

"Sounds like some sort of plan to me," said Deklen, folding his arms. "At least I'll be able to put my feet up. I'd suggest you leave me in that area for a couple of days. That should give me enough time to properly look over the place from a vantage point - see if there's patterns to their movements and so on. And mind you ask for some sort of reward from the Bank for pushing squatters off their property - it'll probably come across as less suspicious to them, too."

29. - Top - End - #89

"We're guards," Isara responded to Deklen. "We don't use our duties to extort or extract reward for doing our job. As well, there should be no reason to deceive the bank. Provided that no one in the bank is the one feeding Lamm information about vacant lots, they shouldn't have a problem lending a little aid to the guard ridding their property of squatters, especially criminals."

30. - Top - End - #90

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by An Amy View Post
    "..We don't use our duties to extort or extract reward for doing our job..."
    "Well..."

"It sounds like you all have things to do," Janna says, jumping up. "I've got some things I can check as well. If anyone sees me, it might look like I'm drinking, but I'll actually be investigating."
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-18 at 03:26 PM.