The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

Ope, I didn't see the other two rolling for knowledge just in case.

I guess I will see about that too

(1d20+6)[11]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    Excuse me while I figure out how to bring people in alive vs impaled on my shield
    Use the FLAT of your spikes, Mikael!*

* We can only fit three or four impalees on it at a time!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Good catch on the whole dead or alive when he's just suspected of murder thing.

My player profile.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Can I roll a knowledge check to see if Janna knows any weird obscure laws, like "Thou shalt not cast ashes out on a tuesday" or "beat not ye rugs in sight of a temple"?

Knowledge (Local): (1d20)[16]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    Can I roll a knowledge check to see if Janna knows any weird obscure laws, like "Thou shalt not cast ashes out on a tuesday" or "beat not ye rugs in sight of a temple"?

Knowledge (Local): [roll0]
    Duuuuuude I like the way you think. Never change you brilliant person you

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Use the FLAT of your spikes, Mikael!*

* We can only fit three or four impalees on it at a time!
    Got me cracking up at work. My coworkers are kind of wondering what I'm laughing at and I don't really want to tell them that morbid humor is my guilty pleasure
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-13 at 10:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rolling Knowledge (Local) on the off chance Deklen recognizes the name Zellara Esmerenda or knows her son...

Spoiler
    Show
    The name is Varisian but you've never heard of her before.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    Oh, good idea.
    Knowledge (local) 13
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    Ope, I didn't see the other two rolling for knowledge just in case.

I guess I will see about that too

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post

Knowledge (Local): 16
    It is illegal to catch a fish with a lasso in the Jeggare River.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Honestly if someone was skilled enough to catch a got damn fish in a river with a fricking lasso. I'm a just let them go, they're too bad*** to be in jail.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Might as well throw my hat into the ring and roll Knowledge (local) as well. Trying to remember any useful nuggets of information about Lamm beyond what we've been told so far.

(1d20+6)[19]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Might as well throw my hat into the ring and roll Knowledge (local) as well. Trying to remember any useful nuggets of information about Lamm beyond what we've been told so far.

Spoiler
    Show
    You know from your underworld contacts that Lamm has recently expanded his criminal operations to include the sale of Shiver, a new street drug distilled from dream spider venom. He is unlikely to be producing the drug himself, instead just peddling it.

10. - Top - End - #40

AssassinGuy

Wait, I'm confused now. Did Lamm secretly set up in the building because it was currently unoccupied or did he lease it from the bank?

My player profile.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wait, I'm confused now. Did Lamm secretly set up in the building because it was currently unoccupied or did he lease it from the bank?
    The former. But you should also dig into this IC, not that Verik is the one holding that information.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Ooc I think subterfuge is a good idea.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Deklen will be opening the throats of anyone he finds walking with a coil of rope down by the riverside henceforth.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Deklen will be opening the throats of anyone he finds walking with a coil of rope down by the riverside henceforth.
    Well that's unlikely to cause problems

15. - Top - End - #45

AssassinGuy

Roll knowledge local to see if it the bank would have any legal liability for leasing a property for illegal purposes. (1d20+8)[13]

Edit for clarification, I'm asking if they have any liability if they lease it to someone and that person ends up using it for illegal purposes without their knowledge. I'm assuming they're liable if they knew it would be and that could somehow be proven.
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2019-09-14 at 03:15 PM.

My player profile.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Roll knowledge local to see if it the bank would have any legal liability for leasing a property for illegal purposes. 13

Edit for clarification, I'm asking if they have any liability if they lease it to someone and that person ends up using it for illegal purposes without their knowledge. I'm assuming they're liable if they knew it would be and that could somehow be proven.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Only if you could prove conspiracy. So, in light of your clarification, no. Knowingly contributing assets to a criminal enterprise: Illegal. Engaging in a business relationship with a citizen, even a suspected criminal: legal.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I think for the purposes of subterfuge, it doesn't really matter. My guess is that the Bank of Asmodeus would have a reputation as a fairly merciless institution. They probably take a very dim view of anyone using their property without their permission. So being paid a visit by their enforcers, asking WTF you think you're doing squatting on their property, might encourage Lamm's crew to do a runner, but I doubt it'll get the door slammed in our faces (unless it's to grab what they can before they run).

@TheBarbecueChip
    Is the above at all consistent with how the bank is commonly viewed and believed (or known) to operate?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think for the purposes of subterfuge, it doesn't really matter. My guess is that the Bank of Asmodeus would have a reputation as a fairly merciless institution. They probably take a very dim view of anyone using their property without their permission. So being paid a visit by their enforcers, asking WTF you think you're doing squatting on their property, might encourage Lamm's crew to do a runner, but I doubt it'll get the door slammed in our faces (unless it's to grab what they can before they run).

@TheBarbecueChip
    Is the above at all consistent with how the bank is commonly viewed and believed (or known) to operate?
    Ya nailed it.

19. - Top - End - #49

AssassinGuy

Well I feel about ready to get into the concrete planning phase here. What do you guys think?

My player profile.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Sure thing, though I'm off to bed in a moment so I won't be able to contribute until tomorrow evening.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Same here. As a starter - I'm happy to take Deklen for a stakeout on the fishery. I've got a couple of days of trail rations and a waterbag, I'm happy to look over the area, embed somewhere with a decent view of the entrances and exits, and then stay there for 2 days or so. Would be taking 20 on the Hide check to do this as speculated. The purpose would be:

(1) Watch guard rotations, i.e. when they seem to move around and where, and what time they clock on and clock off if possible
    (2) Look for all possible entrances and exits to the building detectable from that location
    (3) Note identities of people entering and leaving if possible

Point (3) is going to be hard-er for me because my Knowledge (local) check isn't the greatest.

22. - Top - End - #52

AssassinGuy

I'm thinking we'll need maybe 3 groups.
    One to stakeout, I agree about Saintheart about that one. Maybe one other person with Deklen who has a higher local knowledge and can also hide.
    One to check out the bank and maybe lean on them a little.
    One for people with relevant contacts and good Gather Info bonuses.
    I think Marcus might actually be good for the other person on stakeout. Almost as good a hide bonus, a good local knowledge, and as long as he's in range of Message we can communicate without leaving our vantage points. Someone from one of the other groups could check in with us by getting close enough for Message too.

My player profile.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I'd certainly be glad to have Marcus along. Two's better than one.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'll have a full post up tomorrow, potentially after people have had some time to chip in on specific plans, but for now I'm dead.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Knowledge local inventory
    Isara and Marcus =8
    Lucian and Mikael = 6
    Deklen = 4
    Janna =0

So as far as I know Deklen and Marcus are operating together.

Isara is phenomenal for gathering information and is also really good at intimidation.

Mikael is great at intimidation so he might be good for working with the bank to get information and use intimidation if necessary (but how the hell do you intimidate devil worshippers)
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-16 at 10:49 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Gathering Information about Lamm and his cronies seems like it could just as easily fall under Gather Information, in which case Lucian has a +10 bonus because it involves criminals.

I would suggest one team to work the stakeout and two teams to go off gathering information, preferably composed of one character each with high Gather Information and one character that could use aid another to boost our rolls.

Having Deklen and Marcus handle the stakeout seems like a decent idea. They probably have the best stealth scores and Marcus can do the identifying with his Knowledge (local).

As for leaning on the bank, I'm not sure that's such a good idea. But we could ask for their cooperation, for instance by having them provide us with a rundown on how they'd approach the squatters. Would they bother bringing documents for instance? And if so, can we have copies?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

As for leaning on the bank, I'm not sure that's such a good idea. But we could ask for their cooperation, for instance by having them provide us with a rundown on how they'd approach the squatters. Would they bother bringing documents for instance? And if so, can we have copies?
    Better yet, ask the bank if they need/want someone to clear the squatters out for a small fee, to save them having to devote valuable resources and time to the job about a month or so hence. It's the Bank of Asmodeus, after all.

...moonlighting or conflicts of interest aren't against the actual law of Korvosa, are they?

28. - Top - End - #58

AssassinGuy

TheBarbecueChip
    Is there any kind of "memory check"? What I'm thinking is that for anyone we see going to and from the building that we can't identify I'd like to use Silent Image to show them to the Gather Info teams. Can I just do that or do you want me to do some kind of check to make an image close enough to reality for identification?

My player profile.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

...moonlighting or conflicts of interest aren't against the actual law of Korvosa, are they?
    Moonlighting is most certainly a common occurrence, and the concept of a conflict of interest is a little too advanced for application in this setting

TheBarbecueChip
    Is there any kind of "memory check"? What I'm thinking is that for anyone we see going to and from the building that we can't identify I'd like to use Silent Image to show them to the Gather Info teams. Can I just do that or do you want me to do some kind of check to make an image close enough to reality for identification?
    Hmm, let's call it a DC 10 wisdom check to recall the face accurately, and if you fail I'll roll secret wisdom checks for players encountering the subjects of the botched illusion for them to go "Wait, that might be Marcus' guy! Wow, Marcus is really bad at likenesses."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Question, I assume our characters would know if there are already guard patrols and such around Lamm's hideout. But are there really any patrols there or is it mostly abandoned and no one really patrols it? I ask because this could affect how Mikael responds to Isara's suggestion for a patrol.