The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 120
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    Question, I assume our characters would know if there are already guard patrols and such around Lamm's hideout. But are there really any patrols there or is it mostly abandoned and no one really patrols it? I ask because this could affect how Mikael responds to Isara's suggestion for a patrol.
    Seeing as West Dock is a mostly "industrial" neighborhood it gets less attention from the Midland Guard patrols than the more residential or commercial areas in the district but a guard patrol is not wholly unheard of.

    Edit: I hope to do a major IC post Thursday, so if people would be so kind as to make any expected stakeout/information gathering rolls here, prior to then, I would be much obliged.
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-09-17 at 11:46 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Well, I guess for me it's just a take 20 on the Hide check to sit in position and monitor for 2 days, which would put me at 29. Deklen wouldn't exactly be wandering down there in guard uniform, he'd stick out like a sore thumb - he'll be heading in dressed in that adventuring gear he's got on. :)

    Not sure if any roll's needed to saunter into the area and find somewhere convenient to set up - let me know if there is and I'll rattle the bones.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas currently
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Rolling various checks
    Hide total = 27 if taking 20.

    *edit* Sorry, there's no way to do the rollv and have it add a bonus to each individual roll so I just put my bonus at the end.

    Various spot checks if needed.
    (15d20)[15][15][2][16][18][1][17][8][1][14][9][16][8][2][3](145) with a +3 bonus

    Listen checks if needed
    (15d20)[2][12][9][12][2][12][10][1][7][20][5][4][14][14][6](130) with a +2 bonus

    Local knowledge
    (15d20)[17][9][1][19][4][18][19][20][5][20][14][13][15][2][15](191) with a +8 bonus

    Memory checks for people I fail local knowledge on. I'll have a +0 bonus unless I can get a bonus for writing down a description of the people I fail to identify to help me recreate them later which I plan on doing. I'll add some parchment and ink to Marcus's sheet in a minute.
    (15d20)[17][3][7][5][14][8][17][3][9][4][3][13][7][17][7](134)
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2019-09-18 at 10:01 AM.

    My player profile.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Guess who discovered the OOC thread late!
    That would be me... >.<

    Some rolls for Gather Information (+10) and knowledge local (+8)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information
    1. (1d20+10)[14]
    2. (1d20+10)[15]
    3. (1d20+10)[28]
    4. (1d20+10)[29]
    5. (1d20+10)[19]
    6. (1d20+10)[19]
    7. (1d20+10)[14]
    8. (1d20+10)[15]
    9. (1d20+10)[28]
    10. (1d20+10)[29]



    Knowledge Local
    1. (1d20+8)[15]
    2. (1d20+8)[20]
    3. (1d20+8)[16]
    4. (1d20+8)[9]
    5. (1d20+8)[19]
    6. (1d20+8)[23]
    7. (1d20+8)[13]
    8. (1d20+8)[17]
    9. (1d20+8)[25]
    10. (1d20+8)[25]



    Also if it's not too late... rumor mill? (2d20)[14][6](20)

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Here's Janna's performance rolls to see how cool she looked while doing her dagger tricks:

    Perform (Blade Twirling): (5d20)[9][20][11][17][19](76) +2


    If we're going off to investigate, then Janna will hit up her contacts as earlier described.
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-18 at 03:34 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    I might as well match Finn's idea about multiple rolls seeing as we're out in essentially the same area, if that moves things along any faster...

    Various spot checks if needed.
    (15d20)[6][2][20][17][15][1][17][18][8][18][17][4][4][3][14](164) with a +4 bonus

    Listen checks if needed
    (15d20)[19][18][1][8][20][16][13][15][2][12][17][13][5][6][6](171) with a -1 bonus

    Local knowledge
    (15d20)[3][12][7][3][8][1][3][5][19][10][2][15][14][5][18](125) with a +2 bonus

    Memory checks for people I fail local knowledge on. I'll have a +0 bonus likewise - I don't think I've got any paper with me, so it's a straight memory test to give a verbal description.

    (15d20)[7][4][15][8][11][15][4][3][10][5][14][7][17][18][12](150)

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    As for me here are my rolls

    Knowledge Local
    1.(1d20+6)[8]
    2. (1d20+6)[10]
    3. (1d20+6)[9]
    4. (1d20+6)[12]
    5. (1d20+6)[26]
    6. (1d20+6)[25]
    7. (1d20+6)[23]
    8. (1d20+6)[13]
    9. (1d20+6)[8]
    10. (1d20+6)[23]

    Gather Information (by myself)
    1.(1d20+6)[21]
    2. (1d20+6)[7]
    3. (1d20+6)[14]
    4. (1d20+6)[25]
    5. (1d20+6)[10]
    6. (1d20+6)[7]
    7. (1d20+6)[20]
    8. (1d20+6)[26]
    9. (1d20+6)[10]
    10. (1d20+6)[19]


    Intimidation (in case I need to be extra persuasive in extracting information from the criminal contacts with Lucian)
    1.(1d20+6)[17]
    2. (1d20+6)[7]
    3. (1d20+6)[13]
    4. (1d20+6)[14]
    5. (1d20+6)[11]
    6. (1d20+6)[11]
    7. (1d20+6)[16]
    8. (1d20+6)[12]
    9. (1d20+6)[9]
    10. (1d20+6)[9]

    Aid Another rolls to be used to help Lucian whenever necessary, since these are generic, I'm just going with straight d20
    1.(1d20)[8]
    2. (1d20)[5]
    3. (1d20)[6]
    4. (1d20)[11]
    5. (1d20)[10]
    6. (1d20)[6]
    7. (1d20)[9]
    8. (1d20)[7]
    9. (1d20)[12]
    10. (1d20)[10]

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Gather Information rolls
    (1d20+10)[19]
    (1d20+10)[25]
    (1d20+10)[14]
    (1d20+10)[29]
    (1d20+10)[21]
    (1d20+10)[27]
    (1d20+10)[17]
    (1d20+10)[16]
    (1d20+10)[21]
    (1d20+10)[30]

    Knowledge (local) rolls
    (1d20+6)[17]
    (1d20+6)[14]
    (1d20+6)[14]
    (1d20+6)[25]
    (1d20+6)[21]
    (1d20+6)[22]
    (1d20+6)[11]
    (1d20+6)[15]
    (1d20+6)[13]
    (1d20+6)[8]

    Lucian is specifically interested in finding out more about Lamm and his crew, including their capabilities and any other known hiding places they may have.

    Spoiler: @DM
    Show
    Lucian is also interested in finding out if anyone knows where Lamm is getting his Shiver from.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Quote Originally Posted by An Amy View Post
    Also if it's not too late... rumor mill? 14 & 6
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of your younger Shoanti friends shared a theory with you the other day that the king is not truly sick but instead he is just old and infirm. It doesn't really change the atmosphere of unrest and anticipation that has fallen over the city, but it does, at least in his mind, dispel the silly fear mongering among the Imperials about their little curse.

    Speaking of fear, people are starting to hoard food against the possibility that events in the city take a turn for the worse. Friends are passing around tips and suggestions for the best place to stock up cheaply and quickly. One name keeps comming up: All the World's Meat in North Point

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    @TheBarbecueChip:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Given we've got named identities as a result of the overwatch, do we take it that the information given is as much as we can learn about those people, or is this something we can look into further, e.g. Deklen hitting up his contacts among the Scizarni to see if they know anything more about those individuals ... e.g. where these fellows live?

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    @TheBarbecueChip:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Given we've got named identities as a result of the overwatch, do we take it that the information given is as much as we can learn about those people, or is this something we can look into further, e.g. Deklen hitting up his contacts among the Scizarni to see if they know anything more about those individuals ... e.g. where these fellows live?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They appear to sleep somewhere in the fishery at night. Some of them have haunts around the city, favorite bars, mistresses, that sort of thing. If you have a plan that requires something specific you can seek more information.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Thanks for that.

    To everyone - is it worth fastforwarding to us being all back at the guardhouse and about to discuss what we've learned IC?

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    That would be fine with me, though I may have some OOC follow up questions for TheBarbecueChip before Lucian can put in an IC appearance.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    I'm good with fast forwarding

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas currently
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Sounds good to me as well.

    @TheBarbecueChip I also have some questions though. Could we get some dimensional information about the building? Like how tall, length of each side, where on each side the various entrances are, etc. I plan on putting it on graph paper to help me visualize for planning.

    @Saintheart Just remembered I wanted to ask about this. I will happily pay for it myself to equip Deklen with a sap or two before the raid. I'm planning on Color Spraying quite a bit but since that might only keep people stunned for a round or 2 depending on HD the best way for it to keep them out of the fight is to pile on the nonlethal damage while they're stunned. If I'm remembering correctly stunned denies Dex and saps are the only weapon that allows nonlethal sneak attack damage.
    Because, you know, nothing says highly moral and professional law enforcement like beating people who are currently not resisting. D&D is morally odd.
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2019-09-20 at 04:30 PM.

    My player profile.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    An Amy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    I'm good with moving forward as well.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Spoiler: @TheBarbecueChip
    Show
    At the Bank
    Lucian will naturally agree with the AD that it would be unthinkable for the bank to be involved in any of Lamm's illegal activities. Perish the thought!

    Is the AD willing to put down an agreement for payment in writing? Preferably including the size of our reward if we manage to evict Lamm successfully without further damage to the fishery?

    Lastly, do bank agents typically identify themselves when coming to evict people from the Bank's property? Either using some sort of writ or wearing uniform clothing? If so, can the bank provide such for the squad?

    On the Streets
    Does Lucian know anything about Shiver? Who buys it, what it sells for, what experience it provides the user?

    Also, I sense it might be wise for Lucian to go and meet Devargo - or perhaps write him a letter - to inform him that we're going to be shutting Lamm down. Obviously, Lucian would wait until the very last moment to do this. He doesn't want a fight with Devargo but he doesn't want him interfering in the raid either.

    If leverage is needed to keep Devargo friendly despite the fact that Lucian is about to do damage to his business, how likely does it seem to Lucian that Devargo would buy that the raid is going to happen anyway, so Lucian is in fact doing him a favour by letting him know in advance so that he can cut his losses and cover his tracks? Also, by being part of the raid, Lucian will be in a position to stymie further investigation into where the Shiver is coming from.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Janna's just going to do some shopping in her free time before we reconvene. She heads to Midland market to pick up half a pound block of cheese, a couple of candles, a torch, and four sacks. I think that comes to 5s, 3c, which isn't an insignificant amount of money for Janna. She needs this payday.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    @TheBarbecueChip I also have some questions though. Could we get some dimensional information about the building? Like how tall, length of each side, where on each side the various entrances are, etc. I plan on putting it on graph paper to help me visualize for planning.
    Spoiler: Recon Map
    Show


    Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Spoiler: @TheBarbecueChip
    Show
    At the Bank
    Lucian will naturally agree with the AD that it would be unthinkable for the bank to be involved in any of Lamm's illegal activities. Perish the thought!

    Is the AD willing to put down an agreement for payment in writing? Preferably including the size of our reward if we manage to evict Lamm successfully without further damage to the fishery?

    Lastly, do bank agents typically identify themselves when coming to evict people from the Bank's property? Either using some sort of writ or wearing uniform clothing? If so, can the bank provide such for the squad?

    On the Streets
    Does Lucian know anything about Shiver? Who buys it, what it sells for, what experience it provides the user?

    Also, I sense it might be wise for Lucian to go and meet Devargo - or perhaps write him a letter - to inform him that we're going to be shutting Lamm down. Obviously, Lucian would wait until the very last moment to do this. He doesn't want a fight with Devargo but he doesn't want him interfering in the raid either.

    If leverage is needed to keep Devargo friendly despite the fact that Lucian is about to do damage to his business, how likely does it seem to Lucian that Devargo would buy that the raid is going to happen anyway, so Lucian is in fact doing him a favour by letting him know in advance so that he can cut his losses and cover his tracks? Also, by being part of the raid, Lucian will be in a position to stymie further investigation into where the Shiver is coming from.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bank will authorize a contract to be written up and a standard pricing list for damages discovered be applied against a sum of gold once an inspection has taken place. It might take a day or two for the initial contract and another week or two after the eviction for the inspection, but the AD flatly refuses to be party to any impersonation of bank agents. She insists that any guards be identified as third party agents acting with the consent, but not the authority of the bank.

    Shiver is a new street drug that produces a state of catatonic euphoria and lucid dream-like effects. It is distilled from the venom of Dream Spiders and is named for the muscle tremors in produces in addicts experiencing withdrawal. It is popular among the poorer classes of Korvosa, and therefore affordable by them.

    Lucian and Devargo both are aware that losing distributors is part of doing business. It is reasonable to assume that if the Guard is this far along on Lamm then clearly Lamm is more of a liability than an asset to Devargo. It's also clear to both of them that an early tip off is about all that Devargo can reasonably expect out of Lucian in this case and at Lucian's current level of influence. However, Devargo is known to be sporadically unreasonable.


    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    Janna's just going to do some shopping in her free time before we reconvene. She heads to Midland market to pick up half a pound block of cheese, a couple of candles, a torch, and four sacks. I think that comes to 5s, 3c, which isn't an insignificant amount of money for Janna. She needs this payday.
    Completely reasonable expenses to fall under the "your salary covers the day to day things" rule.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas currently
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Spoiler: Recon Map
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well that's just fantastic, thank you. I guess there are some definite advantages to playing a published adventure path. What are those 2 non-double doors? You said one was unused but the other wasn't mentioned in the post.
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2019-09-21 at 08:06 PM.

    My player profile.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Spoiler: @TheBarbecueChip
    Show
    Lucian is perfectly fine with being a third party. Just as long as he can fairly claim to be acting with the bank's consent, so that he can approach the fishery and legally demand entry without needing rely on his status as a member of the Guard.

    Since the contract is going to take a day or two, Lucian will take some time while the party waits to write a letter to Devargo, letting him know Lamm is about to be busted. He'll send the letter with a runner about an hour before the action begins.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas currently
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    I went with the SRD prices for 6 common meals and 2 gallons of ale(3 gp 4sp). If any of that needs adjusting for higher cost of living or something just let me know.

    My player profile.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well that's just fantastic, thank you. I guess there are some definite advantages to playing a published adventure path. What are those 2 non-double doors? You said one was unused but the other wasn't mentioned in the post.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That there are. Anyways the unused door described in the post is the one that opens onto A3. The other one is attached to the loading dock by a set of stairs that descend down almost to the waterline. It is used occasionally during the day by Lamm's men and the lambs but is not left open like the bay doors. It probably opens onto some sort of work room


    Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Spoiler: @TheBarbecueChip
    Show
    Lucian is perfectly fine with being a third party. Just as long as he can fairly claim to be acting with the bank's consent, so that he can approach the fishery and legally demand entry without needing rely on his status as a member of the Guard.

    Since the contract is going to take a day or two, Lucian will take some time while the party waits to write a letter to Devargo, letting him know Lamm is about to be busted. He'll send the letter with a runner about an hour before the action begins.
    Noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    I went with the SRD prices for 6 common meals and 2 gallons of ale(3 gp 4sp). If any of that needs adjusting for higher cost of living or something just let me know.
    Fine by me.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    By the way, what do we know about the street drug Shiver? Is it magical? Purely recreational, or performance enhamcing? Ingested or Inhaled?

    Umm, wait, what does Janna know?
    Knowledge (local): (1d20)[8]

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    OOC, Lucian knows, but he won't volunteer that information unless someone asks.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    OOC: I guess the question about the roof being low and flat is for me and/or Finn to ask since we've been sitting there looking at the place for two days?

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    By the way, what do we know about the street drug Shiver? Is it magical? Purely recreational, or performance enhamcing? Ingested or Inhaled?

    Umm, wait, what does Janna know?
    Knowledge (local): 8
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shiver is ingested in a liquid form much like a shot of your distilled spirit of choice. It is alchemically derived from dream spider venom and places the user in a mildly catatonic and highly euphoric state that many equate with lucid dreaming. It is named for the muscle tremors experienced by addicts going through withdrawal. It is relatively new to the city.


    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    OOC: I guess the question about the roof being low and flat is for me and/or Finn to ask since we've been sitting there looking at the place for two days?
    The district is mostly warehouses and the climate of the region does not require steeply sloped roofs in winter times, so yes. Most buildings are 1-2 stories high with flat roofs.

    @everybody: My apologies, I'm quite behind on my reading. I plan to catch up and chip in tomorrow.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Okay, I really have nothing to add yet, but I am enjoying the planning/roleplaying.

    However:

    Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Spoiler: Fairly cheap stuff I think might be useful to suppress opposition quickly
    Show
    Several of these are from sources besides those that were okayed during character generation, so they would require GM permission.
    Nets (PHB, p. 119) - Ranged touch attack to entangle foe and allows opposed Strength check to control movement. Exotic weapon though.
    Drow poison (DMG, p. 297) - Injury poison, causes unconsciousness as initial and secondary damage. DC 13 to resist.
    Flash pellets (CA, p. 119) - Blind everyone within 5 feet for 1 round and dazzle them for another. DC 15 Fort save to avoid the effects.
    Screaming flask (CM, p. 135) - 15-foot cone, does 1d8 sonic damage and deafens everyone in area of effect. DC 15 Fort save negates effects.
    Roach paste (DotU, p. 94) - injury poison that causes nausea for 1 round, then filth fever. DC 12 to resist.
    Red tidewater (Planar Handbook, p. 77) - splash weapon that causes blindness. DC to resist varies with direct hit or splash. Also causes blinding sickness.
    Slumber sand (Sandstorm, p. 103) - target struck falls asleep for 1 minute. DC 15 Fort save to resist.
    Stinkpot (Stormwrack, p. 108) - smoke fills 10-foot cube. Living creatures must make DC 15 Fort save or become sickened.
    Any of the above might be found in Korvosa, but keep in mind that refined poisons for use against humanoids are illegal and thus harder to locate/more expensive than other options. Also I've been reading RA Salvatore's Cleric Quintet lately and I love the idea of Drow poison being light sensitive.

    I might also add smokesticks (and the Eberron variant Noxious Smokesticks) and thunderstones to the list of shock-and-awe aids.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas currently
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    [QUOTE=TheBarbecueChip;24168357Also I've been reading RA Salvatore's Cleric Quintet lately and I love the idea of Drow poison being light sensitive.[/QUOTE]

    Is that as good as I remember it being? I just recently got a bunch of D&D series to re-read to see if I still enjoyed them as much as I used to and thaose are next on my list after I finish The Dragon Below series. Have you read any of his other Forgotten Realms novels? As I recall Salvatore really shines when he's not having to constantly write around Drizzt being some kind of embodiment of martial superiority. Not that I didn't also enjoy the Drizzt series(I love Entreri and Jarlaxle).

    My player profile.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard OoC

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    Is that as good as I remember it being? I just recently got a bunch of D&D series to re-read to see if I still enjoyed them as much as I used to and thaose are next on my list after I finish The Dragon Below series. Have you read any of his other Forgotten Realms novels? As I recall Salvatore really shines when he's not having to constantly write around Drizzt being some kind of embodiment of martial superiority. Not that I didn't also enjoy the Drizzt series(I love Entreri and Jarlaxle).
    I'm listening to it through Audible and really enjoying it. While some of the slap-sticky things with the dwarf brothers can cause me to roll my eyes from time to time, the over-all story and character development are great. I just finished book 3 and I'm waiting on next month's credits to grab book 4.

    I wanted to like The Dragon Below, and I think I still might, but the chowder head who they got to read it for the audio book sounds like he's constantly channeling old Billy Shatner, and it was just unbearable to listen to 8 hours of that. I gave up after about 30 minutes and I hardly even remember any of what was read. I'll have to go back someday and do those in print.

    I haven't read much of Salvatore at all, really. I was recommended the Quintet, and I'm reading (actually reading) the Drizzt novels for the first time starting with Homeland, but I think the only other Salvatore book I've ever read was The Companions, which is also Drizzt, although I wanted it for the Sundering Story. Got through book 2 of that series, which was by a different author, and basically gave up since there didn't seem to be any overarching connections at all and very little to do with the actual changes to the Realms as a world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •