The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

MindFlayer

Default Lets game D&D(0-3.5E,5E,P1)

Hi guys. I've been looking to get back at pbp dm'ing for some time....and that time is now.

So I'm looking for a small game...say about four players max.

I'm open to any D&D...except 4th, and Pathfinder 1E.

Most any setting or type of game.....as this is the key part I think: It needs to be a game everyone WANTS to play.

And by that I mean ''is willing and able and wants to log in AT LEAST once a day and post. Sure ''everybody" lives such busy lives...but, ok, if you are one of them people, just don't even offer to play.

So this needs to be a game the players want to play...like the players WANT to log in and post. So that comes back to the players: What do YOU want to do? What sort of game would MAKE you WANT to long in and post daily(or more...)
    Last edited by MonstarDM; 2019-09-08 at 09:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Lets game D&D(0-3.5E,5E,P1)

Would you be looking for a pre-formed group or just a number of interesting individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am looking for a game at the moment, since the ones I am in are fairly slow posting, so I have plenty of time to add extras. I am only really familiar with 3.5 and PF1E, so I would at least be interested in either of those two systems if they are offered. What sort of levels are you comfortable with, because that will draw different groups of players on here. Some people here only play high level, some only low.

Also, welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2019-09-08 at 09:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MonstarDM View Post
    Hi guys. I've been looking to get back at pbp dm'ing for some time....and that time is now.

So I'm looking for a small game...say about four players max.

I'm open to any D&D...except 4th, and Pathfinder 1E.

Most any setting or type of game.....as this is the key part I think: It needs to be a game everyone WANTS to play.

And by that I mean ''is willing and able and wants to log in AT LEAST once a day and post. Sure ''everybody" lives such busy lives...but, ok, if you are one of them people, just don't even offer to play.

So I'm EST (Eastern Standard Time)
    So would just like to clarify, are you open to Pathfinder or is that and 4e the only ones you aren't open to? Because I would totally be down for a Pathfinder game
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Expressing tentative interest in playing 3.5

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

In answer to your question, I stay interested as long as the game keeps rolling along. When it slows right down I sometimes lose a bit of interest. That said, my existing games are slow posting, yet I am still enjoying them. What I like most is a good storyline. I don't like high optimisation levels, since that becomes too much like a math problem for my taste. But I do like higher level games in general. But story trumps combat for me, as far as keeping me interested.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Would you be looking for a pre-formed group or just a number of interesting individuals.
    A pre-formed group? I'm not sure what that is...like a group that lost a DM? Are there such groups?

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    What sort of levels are you comfortable with
    Low to mid level, I guess. High level with maybe the right players.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    So would just like to clarify, are you open to Pathfinder or is that and 4e the only ones you aren't open to? Because I would totally be down for a Pathfinder game
    Oh....Open to: 0-3.5E D&D, 5E, P1.........no 4E

8. - Top - End - #8

BarbarianGuy

Nice! Definitely interested in a P1 game. I'd be willing to learn 3.5 mechanics if there is a pdf I can find. I'm with paradox26, I'd have fun in most any kind of campaign as long as posting is fairly consistent. If it comes to waiting on 1 player to post for more than a day, and there isn't a good reason behind it, it kills the game for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

MindFlayer

Well, from the responses so far, it would seem like P1 is the most wanted.

Ok, so anyone have an idea of what kind of game they want?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Imma buck the trend and say 5E. :P

But I'd be happy with Pathfinder too.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I'd prefer 3.5

It may be worth fleshing out what kind of game people want to play.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Declaring interest in either 3.5 or PF 1ed. But my PF skills are not really high. I barely know the classes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I would be open to 3.5 or P1. very open for any style of game.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

My preference would definitely be for 3.5 over pathfinder.

As for the presently unvisited idea of theme, I for one find myself much more invested if we are building up protecting or working on behalf of some city, society or group that we can aid in the development of. It adds in critical context in what you are working towards thatís often absent in some PBP games.

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfBarbarianGuy

3.5 it is!

To be honest, I don't mind if prewritten or sandbox, but I would like to play in a ďtheme campaignď, eg all dwarves, all warlocks, all only divine, whatever

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I was involved in an all-gnome 3.5 game that was fun (with the exception of one problematic player).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

MindFlayer

Well, I'm for a theme, but not a limiting one....like forcing everyone to be a gnome or kobold.

I think the ''critical context" is important. I want a game that people WILL log into and post, because they WANT to....

"Everything" sounds good.....but then people don't post.

So what is something everyone would want....

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

This is my take on PbP:

-I like classic D&D modules, In my opinion, they tend to work better than sandbox in P&P because sandbox becomes very disperse very soon. Then when the groups has built stability and time, we cold go sandbox.

-Themes are ok, I don't mind playing and all kobold or all gnomes, or a pirates game. Nor do I mind playing a diverse game.

-I don't enjoy half as much the character creation as I do the actual gaming, so you won't be hearing any complains on my part on the character creation aspect. If you say core only 3.5 with 22 point buy and no wealth, I'll be as happy and maybe happier than ALL SPLATBOOKS, HOMEBREW high optimization 40 point buy. Then spending 1 month making a character than never really gets to play.

-That said, I prefer something that seems a bit focused from the beginning. Not necessarily thematic, but focused.

-I also think that some after-creation-selection flexibility works best, adjusting to the actual adventure. If you realize your samurai sucks (you should know it) after the first encounter, may be the DM cuts you some slack an lets you adapt a bit.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Auranghzeb

Re: Lets game D&D(0-3.5E,5E,P1)
    This is my take on PbP:

-I like classic D&D modules, In my opinion, they tend to work better than sandbox in P&P because sandbox becomes very disperse very soon. Then when the groups has built stability and time, we cold go sandbox.

-Themes are ok, I don't mind playing and all kobold or all gnomes, or a pirates game. Nor do I mind playing a diverse game.

-I don't enjoy half as much the character creation as I do the actual gaming, so you won't be hearing any complains on my part on the character creation aspect. If you say core only 3.5 with 22 point buy and no wealth, I'll be as happy and maybe happier than ALL SPLATBOOKS, HOMEBREW high optimization 40 point buy. Then spending 1 month making a character than never really gets to play.

-That said, I prefer something that seems a bit focused from the beginning. Not necessarily thematic, but focused.

-I also think that some after-creation-selection flexibility works best, adjusting to the actual adventure. If you realize your samurai sucks (you should know it) after the first encounter, may be the DM cuts you some slack an lets you adapt a bit.
    I agree with what Auranghzeb said, a well thought out and fairly-linear story idea seems to pan out best in pbp. I have always been a fan of themed games, probably because my first ever 2ed game was a theive's campaign. I think that character gen is great, but most people seem to be trying to make crazy **** here, maybe because their groups irl wont allow it. And I love the last point, shaping the characters around the campaign as it unfolds is the way I like to go, rather than mapping out everything I want for 20 levels and then forcing it into a game where it no longer makes sense.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

So there seems to be support for a themed game, and one with some sort of well defined objective at least in the opening stages. Iím going to throw out some ideas that fit this in a vauge overall sense and we can restrict expand or tweak them later. If anyone has a specific setting or type feel free to throw that out to.

1: A divine campaign, followers of the same God united in thier faith to recover a fallen artefact/ kidnapped spiritual leader from a city thatís recently been conquered by an evil army.

2: A naval campaign, tracking down a pirate/enemy nation fleet and disabling them/stealing thier stuff. They obviously also have magic and so we may fight them above on or below the waves. We are not the captain only plucky marines that must fight in each battle.

3: A naturalist campaign, barbarians, rangers, druids and the like must protect these ancient woodlands from some evil group that wants to burn them down.

4: A racial campaign, some caravan/tribe/settlement convoy of our race is heading off into parts unknown. We must protect the travelers and then we can go into a sandbox style game as settlement begins.

5: Thieves, we all owe a great debt to some criminal godfather. The only way to repay them is is with the greatest heist of the century.

Anymore for any more?
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-09-11 at 07:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

For me? (3.5)

I like starting off low-mid level (lvl 3-5) as I feel it helps me to develop a character more organically than "HERE'S ALL MY COOL STUFF~!" right off the bat. Not a big gestalt fan. Open to most themes and plots, though I cringe if it's "Dystopia Where NOTHING YOU DO WILL EVER MATTER IN THE END!!!". Evenly split between sandbox versus concrete plot -- though, if you're confident you can weave the two together (especially if you're willing to bite on any character background hooks I leave lying around ;)), I'm all for that.

ETA: Not really interested in setting-specific games like FR/Ravenloft/Eberron/Dark Sun/DL (with the exception of Planescape)
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2019-09-11 at 08:46 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post

1: A divine campaign, followers of the same God united in thier faith to recover a fallen artefact/ kidnapped spiritual leader from a city thatís recently been conquered by an evil army.

2: A naval campaign, tracking down a pirate/enemy nation fleet and disabling them/stealing thier stuff. They obviously also have magic and so we may fight them above on or below the waves. We are not the captain only plucky marines that must fight in each battle.

3: A naturalist campaign, barbarians, rangers, druids and the like must protect these ancient woodlands from some evil group that wants to burn them down.

4: A racial campaign, some caravan/tribe/settlement convoy of our race is heading off into parts unknown. We must protect the travelers and then we can go into a sandbox style game as settlement begins.

5: Thieves, we all owe a great debt to some criminal godfather. The only way to repay them is is with the greatest heist of the century.
    Any of the above work.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by MonstarDM View Post
    Any of the above work.
    I'd love to play 2, 3 and 5.

24. - Top - End - #24

-snip-
    Actually mis-read the OP, interested as a player.

Im quite interested in a themed campaign but i feel a "Stronghold" campaign would also be fun, more role play but less battle.

for a Theme campaign I prefer enemy theme over player theme. A diverse group of individuals setting aside differences to do whats right for there world (note i am saying there world because i have never been found of saving THE world). fighting back a demonic incursion, weeding out a coven of devils in the hierarchy of the nation, Killing a Arch-lich. These types of things on a country scale seems more fun then when it spans the entire universe. Speaking from the DM point of view you can put more definition to the bad guys and their motives/goals/background. Speaking from a players point of view you accomplish more by accomplishing less. im getting side track... I like diversity in the party because it offers more options. is the gruffy dwarf Artificer mortally injured by the vile spear of a death knight where the only holy grounds to heal them is an elven druid's grove? Well luckily we have an elven druid to do the diplomacy and negotiation. When we are singular type of entity, such as the living dead, we know more of what we are fighting (and the DM can pull a sneaky and throw a Infernal creature in there to spice it up)
    Last edited by D&DPrinceTandem; 2019-09-12 at 10:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I proudly proclaim myself The Godking of Psionics, disagree? lets talk about it.

Shocki, Dom's Pet Dragons (10 of em)

Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    Can I sig the Lmao Yee btw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

The ideas are quite interesting, 3.5 would be nice but PF would also work for me.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2019-09-12 at 01:19 PM.
    . .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Discord: Warpzzz#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

MindFlayer

Well, guess I was hoping for too much.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

OK: With the feedback Iíve got so far letís put a game theme together. Iím still happy to receive input but just want to establish a potential game that I would definitely play.

(1d3)[2]

OK:

The Dontramere Forest has long been one of the great havens for wild things in this world. After a great service rendered by ancient druids a wise human king promised to leave these lands to the wild for ten thousand years. He respected his promise as did his children and his childrenís children. Elves built thier treetop cities and raptorans thier immense warcaps, as other areas were over-run by the need to consume and mine away the Dontramere forest remained. Even when fortunes were found by prospectors the land was protected allowing many groups to find a home there, the many realms that emerged from the Kingdom all bound by this treaty.

Now, countless years later, the time has expired and the realms are ruled by desperate monarchs. Each eager to take advantage of the resources now available to them. It falls to a few of these warriors of the ancient ways to ensure that only those willing to respect the forest gain access, and all others are chased out of the lands.

Does that work?
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-09-14 at 09:49 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

is this still a thing?
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm interested in either 3.5e or 5e.

I'm more familiar with 5e but that doesn't seem very popular for a play by post game.

I'm interested in 2,4, and 5 for the themes, with a preference to the racial campaign. I think it'd be fun if we were all the same race. But I'm down for whatever and I will definitely be very active on posting.

Once we figure out whatever we want to play, I'll create a character

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyindraven View Post
    is this still a thing?
    OP is now banned, so probably not.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show